Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

he kind of knew he'd be fine after doing it, so, eh

I mean, you could construct a statue with the amount of Lead Johnny eats the entire part. Plus being dragged, nearly frozen, hung from hooks, blown up, got the discount metallica treatment. I didn't bring up the zombie horse for nothing. Both Johnny and Gyro eat a lot of crap.

And my reason for bumping him above Jolyne beyond the abuse they both took or how they act, is because Johnny could have walked away so many times. Jolyne doesn't get that choice and she's stuck dealing with people like Pucchi until the end of the series. But there were so many opportunities for Johnny to just pack it in and go home and he never relents. That's what hardcore is, knowing that after you just let some depressed soldier stab you in the throat and kill you that you're hopping back on your horse to gun down the president and get back the body of jesus christ. If it wasn't clear, Civil War really left an impression on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I broadly agree that johnny is more hardcore. but you are wrong that jolyne doesn't get a chance to walk away. she gets a chance very early on to go free with the speedwagon foundation but she chooses to stay and try and get jotaro's disc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yeah actually they will posted:

I broadly agree that johnny is more hardcore. but you are wrong that jolyne doesn't get a chance to walk away. she gets a chance very early on to go free with the speedwagon foundation but she chooses to stay and try and get jotaro's disc

:eng99: that's my mistake.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Johnny could have walked away so many times.
You sure on that?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheLoneStar posted:

You sure on that?

lol

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Johnny literally shoots himself in the head

Johnny Joestar posted:

he kind of knew he'd be fine after doing it, so, eh

if the lord jesus christ says to do it and everything will be chill, it doesn't count

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
if your heart is not chill, do not shoot

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo Scary Monsters was a great arc. Loving part 7 so far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If my name didn't give it away, I also have to fight Gyro's corner in the hardcore stakes. He spends basically all of part 7 getting the absolute dogfuck beaten out of him. Just constantly eating poo poo in the most ridiculous ways.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If my name didn't give it away, I also have to fight Gyro's corner in the hardcore stakes. He spends basically all of part 7 getting the absolute dogfuck beaten out of him. Just constantly eating poo poo in the most ridiculous ways.

Gyro's whole arc is about him *not* being a hardcore psycho like Johnny though, even when he tries to be. Deep down he's a sweet gentle boy who should be nowhere near a life or death horserace to assassinate the president and claim the body of Christ.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Why are the Rohan OVA’s so hard to find?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

You know what? Im just gonna say it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUlEOVTOFY

I dont think the people in Antartica searching for "Weather Report" are Jojo fans.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

new jooj was posted

https://hiwamatanoboru.com/category/jojolion/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Once again I have no idea what's going on. Seems like Tooru is switching his consciousness between the two Old Man stands, and whichever one he's in has a face? Not really sure how that works. Also I think the bug is dumb.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
How the gently caress is attacking the construx insect a pursuit of the head doctor. It doesn't make any loving sense.

Also I'm glad it's been confirmed that stands can wear clothes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goblin week posted:

How the gently caress is attacking the construx insect a pursuit of the head doctor. It doesn't make any loving sense.

The goal is to protect himself so that he may fight the doctor, so defending himself against the bug's tongue depressor kinetic explosion is enough to count.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
pretty nothing chapter

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Relin posted:

pretty nothing chapter

i thought the doctor's stand face was p cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does this mean the stand's name is Calamity?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

goblin week posted:

Also I'm glad it's been confirmed that stands can wear clothes.

Maybe there isn't actually an insect and the stand just creates illusions. Would smooth over how normal people could see the head doctor and explain why attacking a bug is also an act of pursuit against the HD

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Congrats to Joshu on not being the biggest gently caress-up in the family anymore.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

The goal is to protect himself so that he may fight the doctor, so defending himself against the bug's tongue depressor kinetic explosion is enough to count.

I read it as the doctor pointing out that attacking the bug was a "pursuit" of the bug. So if Josuke tries to attack the doctor, he'll be pursuing him, and that'll cause calamities.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Doctor just hanging out in the wall is pretty cool I’m not looking forward to the four chapters we’ll spend on Beetle Tendency 2 though

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Head doctor confirmed to not be 89.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Endlessly amused by how the rock insects look like a bunch of popsicle sticks taped together. They're honestly kind of cute in a strange way.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rahu posted:

Head doctor confirmed to not be 89.

i was fully loving :aaaaa: about this the entire chapter

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2GDbEmjGE

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I think that De Do Do Do De Da Da Da is one of these, a Nankin Tamasudare

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 19, 2020

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I don't know what I expected. Definitely not the weirdest loving insect. Let's see where this goes.

Now that we are firmly in open conflict, it's fun how each chapter reveals more and more about how this stand works. It's a pretty wild one, that's for sure.

The introduction with the stand walking into the hospital kinda confirms that, although the stand definitely has a physical presence, it can only travel within people's line of sight. Usually, it can always find a path that looks like something a real human would do.

But things get tricky when there's only one observer, or all observers are clustered together. Because THEN, we get cases where the stand tries to walk in their "perception", but it's not actually physically feasible: Mamezuku sees a reflective pillar - the stand tries to go through the pillar, but instead doinks his nose, because from Mamezuku's perspective it actually looked walkable! Ultimately, it gives up and walks in the reflection. We see that happen several times, including in the Higashikata's bedroom. Kinda also goes on to show that the automatic stand is kinda dumb - for trickier maneuvers, Tooru has to assume direct control. When he doesn't, the stand has its regular robot face, but can be seen by regular humans, which is why it usually hides its face.

Now here's the weird thing.
Okay, the WEIRDER thing.

I was wondering how the stand was going to attack, given how it's entirely tailored to taunting people into being hit with calamity. So it makes sense for the doctor to move the stand close, and then unleash its weird killer insect in the hopes of forcing a move that could be interpreted as pursuit.

Now: who even determines what qualifies as "pursuit"? Defending yourself against a killer bug is obviously quite flimsy reasoning. I think the trigger is the PERSON thinking of something as pursuit, so by constantly goading people with his "Could it be you're pursuing me? I bet you are. Is your defense against my murder bug a pursuit of me, an extremely pursuable person???", he tries to make Josuke do the work for him. It's a bullshit excuse and the doctor knows it. He's trying to psych out Josuke.

BUT! This means the stand, which explicitly can appear in front of multiple affected targets (including non-stand users), was carrying his murder bug in his jacket. Do all of his stand instances carry their own bug? Does only the stand instance currently controlled by Tooru get the inventory? Would this mean Tooru could effectively teleport the doctor's pocket contents between multiple stand instances? Or did this particular stand instance, which appeared in the hospital to give the presentation, make a short visit to the office to pick up the murder bug? Does this mean the murder bug travelled WITH THE STAND through the reflections - and actual, physical walls?

I am absolutely overthinking this, and that's okay

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets not forget how he murdered that reporter by retroactively convincing him that he was pursuing him, thus causing him to die from an event the doctor made up that is possibly feasible.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
based off the sfx I thought we finally had Ween/Ocean Man representation

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I really hope this is just the penultimate encounter and we get a better final boss than boring "lol did you perhaps...PURSUE me?" rules lawyer stand

Where is Caato!?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Zeruel posted:

based off the sfx I thought we finally had Ween/Ocean Man representation

Now I'm gonna be disappointed when Tooru's stand isn't Dr. Rock.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

I really hope this is just the penultimate encounter and we get a better final boss than boring "lol did you perhaps...PURSUE me?" rules lawyer stand

Where is Caato!?

We can't be at the end yet unless something really wacky happens, which is always possible.

The story still has to loop back to the part where Tsurugi went to do some sort of shenanigans with Norisuke's body from ~a year ago.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rahu posted:

We can't be at the end yet unless something really wacky happens, which is always possible.

The story still has to loop back to the part where Tsurugi went to do some sort of shenanigans with Norisuke's body from ~a year ago.

I mean to be fair that's only 12 chapters. Part of the reason Part 8 feels so plodding is due to being on the monthly schedule.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rahu posted:

Rereading that chapter I noticed some oddities like Daiya asking for Norisuke

Also Tsurugi messing around with Norisuke's body might be happening around 2 hours after Joubin kills Norisuke and gets owned by the Calamity stand. :psyduck:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we're not near the endgame yet we haven't had time and space hosed with

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

Sure we have, it was just Araki who hosed with the timeline instead of a stand

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JOHN CENA posted:

Doctor has messed with Time and Reality. Retroactively killing a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rereading that chapter I noticed some oddities like Daiya asking for Norisuke

Yeah... if only there was someone whose stand ability had to do with affecting memories