Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone know of a compatible app? Apple have a decent enough record and encryption chip that I'll opt in. Just another slight thing to do to help stop the spread, probably the right thing that it defaults to off and won't be as effective due to that but it'll be less headaches of people moaning if it wasn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
How long do you think it would take for all the stupid states in the US to have their populations die out from COVID? Obviously not completely since even at it's highest COVID has more survivors than fatalities. But enough that they stop loving around? Because the rest of us have managed to flatten the curve while these fuckers are out having beach parties without masks. I just want all the idiots to leave the rest of us alone and suffer the consequences. Can't a girl dream?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Your state has to develop the app

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Zero One posted:

When you click on it the explanation is that you need to have a tracing app to enable it.

I thought it was automatic with 13.5 but my phone shows the same thing.

What’s a good tracing app to use?

Edit. Well nevermind. I guess Oregon isn’t going to use it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/oregon-ag-pushes-for-secure-covid-19-apps/283-17691215-b727-4f9d-8c3c-4e05a0acbde5

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 19, 2020

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

How long do you think it would take for all the stupid states in the US to have their populations die out from COVID? Obviously not completely since even at it's highest COVID has more survivors than fatalities. But enough that they stop loving around? Because the rest of us have managed to flatten the curve while these fuckers are out having beach parties without masks. I just want all the idiots to leave the rest of us alone and suffer the consequences. Can't a girl dream?

Didn't Florida just have a 4000 case day? Ask them. If you are a goon residing in Florida for the love of God get out

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Didn't Florida just have a 4000 case day? Ask them. If you are a goon residing in Florida for the love of God get out

Or you know stay in your home.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

There are a lot of us here

I wish I could WFH. At least my wife (who has health issues) can.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Or you know stay in your home.

Some people rely on healthcare provided by their jobs to live, like the guy who needed his insulin but died of covid on the job. People also have families. I wish it was as easy as just staying home but government has made that impossible for a lot of people. I'd imagine a gently caress ton of people are being held hostage by their jobs in Florida right now. I'm not going to scream this time.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a lot of us here

I wish I could WFH. At least my wife (who has health issues) can.

I was working from home every other day in Maitland. But they want us to come in every day starting the 29th.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

arizona's case count per capita is twice as high as florida's, and it is also chock-full of old people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mykkel posted:

I was working from home every other day in Maitland. But they want us to come in every day starting the 29th.
Yeah my wife works in Maitland also. However the last I heard her office had pushed back opening with the first people until August and now who knows. They just need to get over it already and tell people to just WFH until the end of the year.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Anne Whateley posted:

Your state has to develop the app

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/05/covid-19-exposure-notification-api-states/ what a loving joke

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Many cities in Arizona including Phoenix are going to make mask wearing mandatory starting tomorrow. I highly doubt it will be enforced at all.

Our governor is pathetic. He wouldn't make it a statewide mandatory rule instead he left it up to the mayors so now you will have a patchwork of cities that will or will not have mask rules. I guess he didn't want to upset big orange daddy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

remind him that a collapsed lung might be a cake walk compared to covid.

For fathers day I will be purchasing 12ft of dryer vent tubes to cut in half and place on my arms. I want to hug my freaking parents again!!!!!

That's silly, you can't get a good hug like that. Instead dress everyone as spooky ghosts in sheets with eyeholes. A little memento mori while you hug.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It turns out local government can mandate some mask laws in Texas, we just needed the services of some brave puzzlers to figure out Governor Abbot's mask riddle!

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/abbott-bexar-county-coronavirus-masks-11920458

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It turns out local government can mandate some mask laws in Texas, we just needed the services of some brave puzzlers to figure out Governor Abbot's mask riddle!

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/abbott-bexar-county-coronavirus-masks-11920458
So ... they punted the enforcement responsibility to business owners?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's silly, you can't get a good hug like that. Instead dress everyone as spooky ghosts in sheets with eyeholes. A little memento mori while you hug.

I don't think I'd do that in TYOOL 2020.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Thankfully very far from Florida.

Additionally, maybe someone will learn something from this:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progr...N8GnbiJR5P_h9ws

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I didn't think it'd be a high number or anything, but I was not expecting 4 states out of the entire country.

Yeah, this was a giant waste of time.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With the added benefit of not even telling us that level of enforcement was possible. It was up to the local governments to try to find a way around the Governor saying he would strike down any and all mask ordinances.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Thankfully very far from Florida.

Additionally, maybe someone will learn something from this:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progr...N8GnbiJR5P_h9ws

Yes--I am a little curious about the assumption that the Christians dying are conservative Christians--the article also notes that African American congregations have been hit particularly hard. And this:

quote:

Clinton won overwhelmingly among black Protestants (96% vs. 3% for Trump).

https://www.people-press.org/2018/08/09/an-examination-of-the-2016-electorate-based-on-validated-voters/

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

zer0spunk posted:

I didn't think it'd be a high number or anything, but I was not expecting 4 states out of the entire country.

Yeah, this was a giant waste of time.

No, this is a user problem (Americans).

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/04/switching-to-apple/

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, city govs across the state had measures in place that targeted individuals. The govenor used a disaster power to undermine disaster relief by declaring no one could do that. Some county found a loophole and Abbot hosed things up so bad that he declared that was his plan all along and he just didnt understand why no one was doing it(please ignore me sitting silent for a month and a half of no covid protection across the state in between these two things).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What loophole? The article says there’s still no stated legal penalties for non-compliant customers. I must be missing something, or they’re just saying in effect it’s completely up to the businesses to enforce compliance (or pay a $1000/day fine).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

holy poo poo nickhimself just solved covid-19 but in his haste posted an attention tag lmao. nick if your out there never stop raging my friend.

Don't be a patsy, he didn't autoban, it was obviously the deep state. Gotta keep trumbo from finding out or he'll tweet out for everyone to start eating borax and the whole covid scam will be up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What loophole? The article says there’s still no stated legal penalties for non-compliant customers. I must be missing something, or they’re just saying in effect it’s completely up to the businesses to enforce compliance (or pay a $1000/day fine).

Exactly. He banned cities/counties from creating rules against people for not wearing masks, so one county decided to try making a rule forcing companies to make that rule(but individuals still cant be fined). It was absolutely an attempt to circumvent the initial order.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LemonLimeTime posted:

The virus should slow right down if 80% of the remaining population have immunity. How long it takes to get there is unknown, but the pro-covid states are doing everything they can to get there as fast as possible.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

The virus should slow right down if 80% of the remaining population have immunity. How long it takes to get there is unknown, but the pro-covid states are doing everything they can to get there as fast as possible.

Assuming immunity lasts for a significant amount of time.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Assuming immunity lasts for a significant amount of time.

Last update I saw was based on the paper in the article below. It suggested 2-3 months of immunity. Which is not...great. It would be nice to know more concrete details there like if there's any variations on immunity based on if you were sympotamatic or not, or if you have a better chance of being asymptomatic each new infection, or if you shed virus after the first infection. Among the rest of the list of unknowns.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-covid-immune-response-stable-months.html

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

boar guy posted:

does your car not have a dash radio?

Lol what is this the 90s, cars switched from FM radio and CDs to XM radio and USB drives about a decade ago, grandpa.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zer0spunk posted:

Last update I saw was based on the paper in the article below. It suggested 2-3 months of immunity. Which is not...great. It would be nice to know more concrete details there like if there's any variations on immunity based on if you were sympotamatic or not, or if you have a better chance of being asymptomatic each new infection, or if you shed virus after the first infection. Among the rest of the list of unknowns.

Any long term study is hobbled by the lack of long-term survivors. There's hardly anyone on earth that is known to have had covid 6 months ago. China is in the best position to do those studies, but would outsiders believe the results?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

zer0spunk posted:

That article says that antibodies remained stable for the duration of the study, which was around two months. It didn't say that immunity or antibodies decreased after that, just that they lasted at least that long.

Unless I'm misreading.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Also, here's some encouraging news about the vascular issues caused by the virus. It sounds like researchers have determined both a cause and a potential treatment: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/health-science/hadassah-doctors-crack-the-cause-of-fatal-corona-blood-clots-631681/amp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hermsgervørden posted:

I have always been a sappy chump, the kind who tears up at a well made sentimental commercial.

Yesterday I walked through the AIDS memorial garden in Golden Gate Park, in San Francisco. My tears flowed freely there, (my mask got quite wet) because it is a beautiful place that nevertheless imparts the grief of loss at that magnitude. It made me wonder if we should start finding sites for permanent COVID memorials. I was trying to imagine an appropriate location in my city (golf course seems best to me, we have a surplus of those) but I settled on a concept instead.

Names engraved on a strip of pavement at six foot intervals. In the US, assuming that when the final counts are made, we might be lucky to have under 300,000 Covid-19 deaths, this memorial would stretch 340 miles, about the distance from San Francisco to LA.

I know that building such a memorial would be impractical, but it would also set the scale for this magnitude of loss of life.

Yes, I definitely want a milkshake, thanks.

Watch Elon Musk engrave names on Starlink satellites and declare that it’s a permanent memorial in the heavens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dinosaurs! posted:

I wonder how confirmed cases fall ideologically in red states. Are Republican governors just racing to the bottom until there’s a vaccine, hoping the virus kills fewer of their own voters?

Do you not know, my son, with what little wisdom the world is governed?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Hermsgervørden posted:

I have always been a sappy chump, the kind who tears up at a well made sentimental commercial.

Yesterday I walked through the AIDS memorial garden in Golden Gate Park, in San Francisco. My tears flowed freely there, (my mask got quite wet) because it is a beautiful place that nevertheless imparts the grief of loss at that magnitude. It made me wonder if we should start finding sites for permanent COVID memorials. I was trying to imagine an appropriate location in my city (golf course seems best to me, we have a surplus of those) but I settled on a concept instead.

Names engraved on a strip of pavement at six foot intervals. In the US, assuming that when the final counts are made, we might be lucky to have under 300,000 Covid-19 deaths, this memorial would stretch 340 miles, about the distance from San Francisco to LA.

I know that building such a memorial would be impractical, but it would also set the scale for this magnitude of loss of life.

Yes, I definitely want a milkshake, thanks.

COVID is fake news. It's just a loving flu. Listen to Our Leader, not the deep state LIEbrals that control the fake news networks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chocobo posted:

COVID is fake news. It's just a loving flu. Listen to Our Leader, not the deep state LIEbrals that control the fake news networks.

This is why nobody will die from getting covid from the maga rally. Nobody....cough....cough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow the world really is a gently caress

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Statistically they will be overwhelmingly transmitting to the like minded.

Oh good to know that the virus respects ideological boundaries, whew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

My point is that just because you apparently have the option to quit, I don't. I have people who depend on me to provide housing and food. Being able to quit to improve your situation, even if it is going from "lovely" to "crappy", is privilege. I am tired of people telling me to quit like it wouldn't bring the possibility of wrecking my life and the lives of others.

E: Like I know that sticking to my guns and telling them to go gently caress themselves is normally correct but I am not in circumstances where I can do that without having the violence of impending homelessness and food insecurity becoming my immediate concerns.

No one's saying that it's an easy choice to make, especially for the vast majority of Americans that have no other prospects besides the job they're working now. And that's on top of what'll probably be the deepest recession of this century.

But gently caress, how are you going to provide housing and food for anyone if you're dead? Or stuck recovering for 3-6 weeks from a virus that completely wrecked your lungs? It's a potentially devastating risk either way