Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Where is digimon survive

It is forever coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Have they come up with a Mega for the Salamon?

it's just been Leomon and hypothetically this, so far

I don't have much confidence they can make another angel lady that manages to stand out, tbh

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

it's just been Leomon and hypothetically this, so far

I don't have much confidence they can make another angel lady that manages to stand out, tbh

This is why I was a little annoyed when they picked out all these previously used Digimon for the partners, besides them all being small mammal types. They kind did avert some problems with harsh swerves for the mega forms like Gaiomon instead of Alphamon and HeavyLeomon, but it is still pretty limiting until they very end. Especially for Salamon, who is overused to a level just beneath Agumon and Veemon.

I guess they’ll just make up something new for her since they’re using both her normal evolutions for events. It wouldn’t be too difficult to make up some new sexy cat and/or angel lady for this (don’t kid yourself, they are going to make it fanservice).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's more that I haven't been impressed with Digimon like Ofanimon. I actually like her Falldown Mode more than the usual one, because Ofanimon feels pigeonholed as "girl Seraphimon". I'm not impressed with the other angel Ultimates/Megas either, save for SlashAngemon. And Mastemon is fairly interesting because of her light and darkness thing, I just don't expect lightning to strike twice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would be pretty stoked if we just made Ophanimon Falldown Mode Gatomon's default mega

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

I would be pretty stoked if we just made Ophanimon Falldown Mode Gatomon's default mega

This will never happen in 7 billion years, but I'd be super hype if Digimon somehow wasn't scared to give main characters explicitly evil or Virus evolutions.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This will never happen in 7 billion years, but I'd be super hype if Digimon somehow wasn't scared to give main characters explicitly evil or Virus evolutions.

Guilmon was Virus all the way through. He even became a beast of Revelation out of sheer rage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

Guilmon was Virus all the way through. He even became a beast of Revelation out of sheer rage.

And somehow, despite already being a Virus, we also got a BlackGuilmon line that just goes up to eleven on that (though no BlackMegidramon, because you can't improve on perfection)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Impmon was supposed to be the main hero Digimon of Tamers and Konaka punted the idea into the sun in favour of Guilmon, and I'm forever left to wonder "what if..."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Impmon was supposed to be the main hero Digimon of Tamers and Konaka punted the idea into the sun in favour of Guilmon, and I'm forever left to wonder "what if..."

To be slightly fair that's probably for the best. Impmon also remained Virus type even when he was a good guy and Guilmon was also virus type.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think they also wanted Ryo to be the main character at some point right? Of course, these things likely never got past the idea stage. I’m not sure how far Kakudo’s Digimon Adventure Digimon vs. space aliens pitch got but I think it was decided against fairly early on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think they also wanted Ryo to be the main character at some point right? Of course, these things likely never got past the idea stage. I’m not sure how far Kakudo’s Digimon Adventure Digimon vs. space aliens pitch got but I think it was decided against fairly early on.

Does sound like it might have informed the creation of the D-Reaper as a concept though, possibly the Gizmon in Savers as well

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Does sound like it might have informed the creation of the D-Reaper as a concept though, possibly the Gizmon in Savers as well

I don’t think so. All we know is that they were going to fight a threat from space that hindered evolution (not necessarily just Digimon’s but people/society/etc’s evolution), and Yamato going to space was a hint at it. I don’t think there were any designs, and the D-Reaper didn’t really have any similarities to that concept. I assume Konaka’s Lovecraft sensibilities informed its design more than anything in the previous series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I don’t think so. All we know is that they were going to fight a threat from space that hindered evolution (not necessarily just Digimon’s but people/society/etc’s evolution), and Yamato going to space was a hint at it. I don’t think there were any designs, and the D-Reaper didn’t really have any similarities to that concept. I assume Konaka’s Lovecraft sensibilities informed its design more than anything in the previous series

I meant more in the idea of having an antagonist that's not human or Digimon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I meant more in the idea of having an antagonist that's not human or Digimon

Oh, I got ya. That’s certainly possible, though I personally think the idea of having a final boss that’s a different type of computer program is just a natural evolution of Tamers’s setting.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If Ryo was going to be the lead this would have been at the earliest possible stage for Tamers. Konaka's official website with his production notes on Tamers (which is the source for Impmon as Takato's partner at one stage) is completely forthright that Ryo was never actually his idea. By his own words Ryo's appearance had already been decided on even before he was on the project for Digimon's third season, and since he had no idea how to use him or even introduce him to the story Konaka just delegated everything to do with Ryo to one of the writers and called it good.

As for non-human, non-digimon antagonists I think the first time the franchise did it was actually Digimon World 2. Whether the three guardians and GAIA were influenced by Kakudo's pitch, and whether DW2 was an influence on later digimon stuff is way up in the air as far as I know.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Impmon has the best character arc of any Digimon in the franchise and I don't think it'd be the same if he was a protagonist's partner and obligated to digivolve over the course of the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheHan posted:

Impmon has the best character arc of any Digimon in the franchise and I don't think it'd be the same if he was a protagonist's partner and obligated to digivolve over the course of the series.

It wouldn't be the same arc, but you could have a potentially equally interesting arc about the struggle of a "good" human tamer dealing with an ostensibly "evil" Digimon partner and that "evil" Digimon struggling to overcome their base programming of being a little destructive shithead and maybe trying to be something better than that. Still room for a really great arc if you handled it right.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It wouldn't be the same arc, but you could have a potentially equally interesting arc about the struggle of a "good" human tamer dealing with an ostensibly "evil" Digimon partner and that "evil" Digimon struggling to overcome their base programming of being a little destructive shithead and maybe trying to be something better than that. Still room for a really great arc if you handled it right.

Guilmon already covers that to a degree since his programming makes him instinctively vicious and battle hungry, but his age and inexperience makes him childlike and innocent. The most memorable moment was when Takato gives in to his own bloodlust for Beelzemon and corrupts Guilmon into the world ending demon he was “meant” to be. Then both rejected it and did a complete 180 to become a holy knight. I think someone consciously bratty would not work quite as well for that plot.

That said, it would be nice to see a Tamer reform a Digimon with a history of villainy, but you’d have to make them really stand out as a menace and contrive some good reason as to why they became subordinate to a kid instead of tricking them into just becoming a minion. It would be difficult, but workable.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 20, 2020

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I think part of the issue with that is that Tamers goes more into the idea that Digimon don't really have deeply coded allegiances. You have the Devas, but even then one of them goes "Nah, gently caress it" and switches sides without much issue. You have the Digimon that wandered into the real world, but those are generally either the ones who want to get stronger, or the ones who just get killed by Yamaki and crew. The Digital World functions heavily on survival of the fittest, but in Tamers especially it seems like Digimon in general just have more nuanced personalities and lives. Impmon wasn't evil because he was programmed to be evil, he was just kind of a little poo poo and his Tamers were stupid kids.

You absolutely have programmed allegiances in other series, but Tamers tried to buck that overall.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Where is digimon survive

It frustrates me a little that they've said that V-Jump is the only place we'll get news on Survive, but I suppose you always know when V-Jump will come out every month. The only "new" thing we've gotten in the last three months is a Bamco America rep saying that it's still coming out this year and that's only as a response to Famitsu's typo.

For something that they initially said they hoped would become a third pillar in the game side of the franchise alongside the world and story series, it's a little disappointing to not even get a small blurb or screenshot. Come to think of it, I don't think Kunemon even got a screenshot of it in battle like the other partners. At this rate I'm afraid it's release will be so late in the year it gets overshadowed by the next-gen consoles. I completely understand if it got delayed due to the pandemic though, the timing of the news drop off would make sense.

Enough of my whining though, have some neat survive fan art:
https://twitter.com/12takase14/status/1271787504975278083

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 20, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think part of the issue with that is that Tamers goes more into the idea that Digimon don't really have deeply coded allegiances. You have the Devas, but even then one of them goes "Nah, gently caress it" and switches sides without much issue. You have the Digimon that wandered into the real world, but those are generally either the ones who want to get stronger, or the ones who just get killed by Yamaki and crew. The Digital World functions heavily on survival of the fittest, but in Tamers especially it seems like Digimon in general just have more nuanced personalities and lives. Impmon wasn't evil because he was programmed to be evil, he was just kind of a little poo poo and his Tamers were stupid kids.

You absolutely have programmed allegiances in other series, but Tamers tried to buck that overall.

Yeah I don't think it'd fit into the Tamers world we got, but it is an interesting theme that would've made a nice contrast to the D-Reaper as an entity that refuses to evolve beyond its base programming. Maybe if Terriermon wasn't so chill and he could've taken issue with how he keeps evolving into deadlier war machines.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

Yeah I don't think it'd fit into the Tamers world we got, but it is an interesting theme that would've made a nice contrast to the D-Reaper as an entity that refuses to evolve beyond its base programming. Maybe if Terriermon wasn't so chill and he could've taken issue with how he keeps evolving into deadlier war machines.

He's fully aware that being loaded with a crapton of missiles and guns is cool as hell and will not complain about it. Momantai.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Algomon (Baby 1)

A Baby Digimon that was born from a bug in an algorithm. It has a habit of finding and approaching places where large volumes of data flow. They gather one by one, and wrap around each other to form large groups.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is the last new Digimon to be revealed for a while, because the Nightmare Soldiers Pendulum Z doesn't feature any new Digimon in the spaces they've decided to show. It's all existing Digimon like Witchmon, Kimeramon, Devimon, Deathmon, etc.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1274861570330210304?s=20

New Digimon SHODO figures, featuring WarGreymon, Angewomon, and Garudamon.

They look great. I'mma need to get em.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

This is the last new Digimon to be revealed for a while, because the Nightmare Soldiers Pendulum Z doesn't feature any new Digimon in the spaces they've decided to show. It's all existing Digimon like Witchmon, Kimeramon, Devimon, Deathmon, etc.

Which makes it the lamest of the Z series

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1274861570330210304?s=20

New Digimon SHODO figures, featuring WarGreymon, Angewomon, and Garudamon.

They look great. I'mma need to get em.

They do they ahve to be so goddamn small

Can I please just get a six inch scale Digimon line that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghostmon was also added to the DRC.

Wikimon's translation posted:

A Ghost Digimon that is often witnessed flying over graveyards. Although it does not like to show itself due to its timidness and shyness, it is a kind-hearted Digimon that helps those in need without being noticed by becoming transparent.
When it comes to fighting inevitably, it moves about cunningly using its "Little Plasma", in which it fires weak energy shots from its palms, and "Jack Raid", where it turns transparent moments before charging and crashing into the enemy, striking them from behind while they are confused.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Burkion posted:

They do they ahve to be so goddamn small

Can I please just get a six inch scale Digimon line that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

It's Bandai Namco, so no, absolutely not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also (if only because I really like its design), they should put Herissmon and its evolutions in an anime one of these days.

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Herissmon

Hell, maybe toss a few other currently game exclusive ‘mons in there as well while you’re at it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

Also (if only because I really like its design), they should put Herissmon and its evolutions in an anime one of these days.

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Herissmon

Hell, maybe toss a few other currently game exclusive ‘mons in there as well while you’re at it.

Agreed. A protagonist Digimon who isn’t ever a dragon or dinosaur or ever on fire would be a good change of pace. Plus it has a built in excuse to go crazy on spikes in its later forms. It deserves to escape the gatcha-hell for a good game or other part of the fiction.

Even if does sound like Elmo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. A protagonist Digimon who isn’t ever a dragon or dinosaur or ever on fire would be a good change of pace.

May I introduce you to my buddy Gatchmon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't say how but I have seen Kizuna

This movie makes Tri. look better in retrospect

I do not like it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I do not like it

gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like I'm less down on Tri. than most but I acknowledge it has serious flaws.

There is nothing redeeming about Kizuna outside of the first 10 minutes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I do not like it

That basically lines up with what I heard, yeah.

Ah well, at least Adventure 2020 has been surprisingly decent so far.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
But the 02 kids have gotta at least put on a good show right

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Comes back this week!

Man those Shodo figures have me bummed. I'd be leery about getting an Angewomon figure at any rate but as part of the complete set of 8, sure I could do that.

But they're literally 3 inches tall. I have big dumb hands and even my Lightning Collection figures which are six inches are fiddly and unfun to mess with, I can't imagine how bad figures half the size would be. That's always been my issue with Figuarts and the like and why I prefer the 7 inch scale NECA tends to do.

But at least at six inches, they'd fit with the rest of my collection! These would be like the pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Wasn't Kizuna super well received by Japanese audiences?

Given that the 02 epilogue is still canon, the ending falls flat from an emotional standpoint for me. I fully expect another movie starring the 02 kids where they fix everything after this.