Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfface posted:

Regading Undead Unluck, as the Galaxy UMA rewrote reality so that Stars and planets other than our own had always existed, implying that before now their universe was empty, but also that the concept of zodiacs and named days of the week didn't exist Ragnarok could well be 'The world now remembers going to war in 1914 killing millions, and again in 1949, and then there's the Korean war, the Cold War, the whole deal with the Middle East... hey, ask your non-negator friends about nukes!'

Going back to check. Everytime we got a look at space or the night sky there were no stars or anything. Makes me wonder if every UMA coming into being introduced their concept to the World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New Edens Zero is up. Shiki turns into Meliodas In Space, I think?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That's last weeks chapter.

https://readedenszero.com/reader/read/edens-zero/en/12/98/page/1
This weeks chapter is all about T&A Oh and Shiki using gravity powers to draw in someone's memories

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
While still the designated Damsel In Distress, I like that Rachel gets to be a competent gunwoman more often than Lucy got to be the top-tier summoner she supposedly was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfface posted:

While still the designated Damsel In Distress, I like that Rachel gets to be a competent gunwoman more often than Lucy got to be the top-tier summoner she supposedly was.

Speaking of Fairy Tail, we’ve got a new 100 Years Quest chapter as well:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/928115/1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

New Edens Zero is up. Shiki turns into Meliodas In Space, I think?

He looks so much like Meliodas it was my first thought as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elfface posted:

Rebecca.

To add to that the way they explained how the memories from the other timelines are seeping into the current one, through a mix up of Shiki and Rebecca's Ether was pretty interesting too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Soukyou no Ariadne

Hazan is such a badass

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol these dorks seem to think that the almighty teasing onee-san only has that one move. they are so boned.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
All the usual are still great.

Guardian of the Witch ended so abruptly, it's kind of hilarious. Didn't even make it to 20 chapters. I only recently started following jump week to week, but it's kind of sad seeing how suddenly it ended. Did the author not know it was going to be the end until just this chapter, I wonder?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's just how it goes, it's not that uncommon

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a bad system that has killed many a great comic to be in it's crib but it is very much the definition of 'at least the trains come in on time' when it comes to ejecting also-rans and the strips that are genuinely awful (U19, hopefuly Ghost Plagerist)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

That said, if Ghost Plagerist doesn't do anything drastic it's going to be gone sooner rather than later.

Yeah definitely. This week's chap was interesting at least, powering through what's basically a time skip and ending off fairly interestingly. We'll see where it goes but I haven't got super high hopes.

When series get axed, how much warning do the authors get, anyways?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Akayashi triangle is... Normal? I'm actually surprised. Often when manga deal with a male -> female genderswap, it tends to go full horny, and besides a bit at the very beginning of the chapter, it doesn't seem to be going down that route. Huh.

e. After looking up the author, I'm doubleplus surprised considering it's by Kentaro "To Love Ru" Yabuki, whom I'd expect to go super horny right off the bat.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah definitely. This week's chap was interesting at least, powering through what's basically a time skip and ending off fairly interestingly. We'll see where it goes but I haven't got super high hopes.

When series get axed, how much warning do the authors get, anyways?

I think it varies depending on how long running the work was before it got unpopular and how much sway the mangaka may have with editorial staff. For something like Samurai 8 they were probably given notice that 'X volume will be the last volume' beforehand, whereas with something with a chapter count in the teens/twenties getting cancelled is probably 3-4 chapters notice at most.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Between the timeskip and how it's already doing a "what if the machine doesn't make another future manga" plot beat, it feels like Ghostwriter got told to prepare for cancellation, or something.

The side characters keep being more interesting than the MC, too. I wanted to know more about the assistant who gave up on his dream of drawing manga until he got inspired to do so again when he read White Knight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Jujutsu Kaisen could be summarized as "rocks fall, everyone dies"
Dagon got utterly destroyed and I'm waiting to see how everyone else survives getting hot magma shot at them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Undead Unluck downright sweet this week.

There's no way the end of Mashle isn't some kind of fake out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They tend to always give Series 2 volumes worth of chapters to get in their groove.

Anyway I like Ghostwriter it just needs a hook. Which hopefully we are about to get.

Bone Collector does nothing for me.

Yokozura is fun, and I like the characters, it like scratches the same itch the good parts of Hitman Reborn did.

Chainsaw, Stone, WNL, Act Age, and the others I am loving.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 21, 2020

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Agravity Boys continues to get an audible laugh from me every chapter. Maybe my favorite thing in jump after chainsaw man.

Bone Collector is fun, I really enjoy the art style.

Rest in loving pieces, Guardian of the Witch, the most generic series I've ever seen.

Mashle has grown on me, I really didn't care for the first few chapters but it's started to grow beyond the initial joke. I'm sure it'll be a great short series.

Magu-chan is fine, pretty generic but it could go in any direction so I'm going to keep my eye on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

funny you'd compliment the art in bone collector since I was just gonna say how it's my least favorite part of that series

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I don't like the art at all

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bone Collector is super cartoony but I think that helps it’s “everyone’s an bufoon” premise.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bone Collectors got personality in its art, if anything. I like it.

Ayakashi's intended role as a horndog manga was super obvious from the get go. At least there isnt the requisite creepy old guy, yet. The story and characters are otherwise bog standard. Hard Pass.
Mashles always good but its a blazingly fast read. Its really good now that its found its pace.
Magu chan seems uninspiring, and doesnt land its jokes very well.
Moriking great and getting greater. All in on the bug premise.
Agravity Boys: The Chris Looks Feminine joke has stopped being funny, being the punchline again and again and again will do that. Doesnt help that it wasnt that funny in the first place. Grislow's extreme over reactions though will never stop being funny.

Brought To You By posted:

Dagon got utterly destroyed and I'm waiting to see how everyone else survives getting hot magma shot at them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah poo poo is and has been hitting the fan since the start of this arc
this feels like some endgame stuff though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

would be weird to be endgame this early considering they said it's getting an anime. why cancel it so soon after confirming an adaption?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Jujitsu kaisen isn't getting cancelled, it's fairly popular.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

Jujitsu kaisen isn't getting cancelled, it's fairly popular.

I hope it continues being popular. Im really enjoying it.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

amigolupus posted:

Between the timeskip and how it's already doing a "what if the machine doesn't make another future manga" plot beat, it feels like Ghostwriter got told to prepare for cancellation, or something.

The side characters keep being more interesting than the MC, too. I wanted to know more about the assistant who gave up on his dream of drawing manga until he got inspired to do so again when he read White Knight.

I also got this feeling from the acceleration going on, but I feel like the series does need it. It can't coast on slice-of-life/character moments because the protagonist is not charismatic enough (unless we got an abrupt swerve to just having Aino as the viewpoint character from now on, which... could be kind of amazing so it'll never happen), so it really needs to all-in on the drama.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I have no loving idea how that 24 fps power is supposed to work other than it freezes you if you don’t follow its bullshit rules.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

magu is so cute, just give me more magu doing things like vacuuming or stuffing natto in his weird mouth

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

RatHat posted:

I have no loving idea how that 24 fps power is supposed to work other than it freezes you if you don’t follow its bullshit rules.

Same.

I’ve enjoyed haikyu lately, especially as someone who plays beach volleyball.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

I don't like the art at all

I don't like the art much either. I don't have a problem with its cartooneyness, since that fits well. But I find the panel compositions to be a bit sloppy and the scene transitions disjointed making it occasionally hard to follow.

Mashle: Fantastic. Introducing a dark mirror can only end well for Mashle.

Moriking: Moriking is amusing, though I wonder how long it will last.

I'm actually surprised at how Ayakashi isn't nearly as bad at the horney part as I expected it to be, I'll read a few more chaps.

Maguchan: I kinda liked it. No idea where it's going and if it'll stay worth it, but this was amusing enough.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bone Collectors got personality in its art, if anything. I like it.

Ayakashi's intended role as a horndog manga was super obvious from the get go. At least there isnt the requisite creepy old guy, yet. The story and characters are otherwise bog standard. Hard Pass.
Mashles always good but its a blazingly fast read. Its really good now that its found its pace.
Magu chan seems uninspiring, and doesnt land its jokes very well.
Moriking great and getting greater. All in on the bug premise.
Agravity Boys: The Chris Looks Feminine joke has stopped being funny, being the punchline again and again and again will do that. Doesnt help that it wasnt that funny in the first place. Grislow's extreme over reactions though will never stop being funny.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah poo poo is and has been hitting the fan since the start of this arc
this feels like some endgame stuff though
I agree Chris is a girl isn't very funny, but that wasn't the punchline? Barely more than a setup.
Still a funny chapter. HB is getting a lot of entertainment mileage out of his fuckups.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Seems weird they’d go to all that effort to explain the 24fps power if he’s out

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

i flunked out posted:

I’ve enjoyed haikyu lately, especially as someone who plays beach volleyball.

Glad it's really making the most of this final arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haikyu is probably the best comic running in Jump right now. Maybe second to Chainsaw Man, but regardless it’s very good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I love how much it really wants to make the players on both sides of every match feel like people you'd want to root for.

Hinata though is also just such a good protagonist and it's amazing just how much he's progressed over the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hadn’t checked it out yet but is Eden’s Zero any good (two of the characters look basically identical to Lucy and Wendy for one thing)? Also, is there an anime for it yet?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you like Hiro's stuff you'll like it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Anime just got announced.

It's literally Fairy Tail in space. Typical Hiro stuff. Perfectly serviceable action shlock. That occasionally gets a little too creepy for it's own good.
Also friendship speeches and powerups out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Anime just got announced.

It's literally Fairy Tail in space. Typical Hiro stuff. Perfectly serviceable action shlock. That occasionally gets a little too creepy for it's own good.
Also friendship speeches and powerups out of nowhere.

So basically your standard Hiro series then, good to know.

Is it at least paced better than Fairy Tail was though?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 22, 2020