Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Seen some reviews saying the Kobalt are pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I have a giant honkin' Husky toolbox and it's great. Got it fairly cheap ($600?) on black friday a few years ago.

Edit: This guy: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-61-in-W-18-Drawer-Combination-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-in-Gloss-Black-H61CH6TR12/304016203

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What are good ways to keep track of sockets? Are socket rails the way to go?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I like the peg trays like these guys. Only complaint is the spacing can be a hair tight for impact sockets. Not enough to not work, but a little tight.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an Ernst "socket boss" tray with 3 rails for my tool tote setup and it rocks. The twist-lock feature of the rails is a godsend.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ThinkFear posted:

I like the peg trays like these guys. Only complaint is the spacing can be a hair tight for impact sockets. Not enough to not work, but a little tight.

Do these lock the sockets in place or do they just stay by gravity?

Achtane posted:

I got an Ernst "socket boss" tray with 3 rails for my tool tote setup and it rocks. The twist-lock feature of the rails is a godsend.

The socket boss looks pretty good, I like that it's not just one rail.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

taqueso posted:

Do these lock the sockets in place or do they just stay by gravity?

The socket boss looks pretty good, I like that it's not just one rail.

Gravity, not the thing you want for a mobile kit.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Any opinion on skillsaws? Can’t decide if I want a rear handle model or not. Mostly concerned about which type is safer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

street doc posted:

Any opinion on skillsaws? Can’t decide if I want a rear handle model or not. Mostly concerned about which type is safer.

My experience has been that the rear handle/ worm drive design is safer because from that angle, your entire arm acts as a shock absorber rather than a bronco rider on top of 2 1/2 horses.

That's a bit of a dramatic imagery, but so is one of those sumbitches running wild from a kickback.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey guys, thought this would be the best thread to ask this question on.

Basically I'm looking for an electric hand tool that will do multiple jobs. Primarily I want to use it as an electric screwdriver, but I'd also like for it to be a drill and use it for light dremel cutting.

All of this will be light work, I'm not planning on building a house with it and primarily I'd be using it to pull apart/put back together electronics (laptops, etc) so I wouldn't want it to overtorque screws. Anything that can do all these things?

EDIT:

Primarily I imagine the issue is that a dremel needs fairly high RPM, and I don't think screwdrivers/drills will normally get that high? I am not a DIY person so I don't really know.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah you'll need two separate tools. Rotary tools spin at super high rpms compared to something like a drill / driver.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dremels and drivers are fundamentally different tasks; dremels have high RPM but low torque and drivers are the opposite. You need two tools.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
One of them being a screwdriver set not a drill/impact. Electronics do not need a power tool to take apart/put together. Its not faster and the bits are generally too big to fit into the little holes.

Honestly if you want something to make life easier get a Wera set with magnetic heads.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

JEEVES420 posted:

One of them being a screwdriver set not a drill/impact. Electronics do not need a power tool to take apart/put together. Its not faster and the bits are generally too big to fit into the little holes.

Honestly if you want something to make life easier get a Wera set with magnetic heads.

When I used to do laptop repairs as a job we used electric screwdrivers and it saved a huge amount of time, plus you knew you weren't torqueing screws too tight.

Thanks for the info guys. I suspected that would be the case!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Don't listen to these fools, they lack imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYnPwcHywU

E: lol wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A84LYRW-63Q

Hubis fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 21, 2020

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Tim Thomas posted:

as much as the flexi-click attachment scheme kind of annoys me, the offset drill and right angle drill heads for the Bosch 12v are so, so, SO useful. Holy poo poo, everyone should have a drill like this.

I was actually looking at the Bosch 12v - I would be using it for taking apart some electronics quite a bit, but I'd like to get 1 tool that will do as much as possible. Do you think on the lowest torque setting it would strip medium softness screws?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This one kinda reminds me of an attachment I got for doing the siding on my workshop. It connects to a drill and turns it into a set of power shears for cutting through cement fiberboard siding.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This one kinda reminds me of an attachment I got for doing the siding on my workshop. It connects to a drill and turns it into a set of power shears for cutting through cement fiberboard siding.

Drill powered sheet shears are legitimate if you don't need the dedicated $600 tool

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Drill powered sheet shears are legitimate if you don't need the dedicated $600 tool

Yeah, and especially it kept dust way lower than a rotary saw would have. Was harder to cut straight with of course.

I guess I'm just saying that turning a drill into a sawzall doesn't seem that outlandish. A proper sawzall of course would be better, and probably easier on the motor/batteries, but if you can only afford one power tool...

Turning a drill into a table saw is uh, not great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, and especially it kept dust way lower than a rotary saw would have. Was harder to cut straight with of course.

I guess I'm just saying that turning a drill into a sawzall doesn't seem that outlandish. A proper sawzall of course would be better, and probably easier on the motor/batteries, but if you can only afford one power tool...

Turning a drill into a table saw is uh, not great.

There's also this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjQuewOtNOs

Which I almost posted. While I wouldn't ever use or recommend it as a replacement for a proper tool, I could see it having a place in someone's tool bag if they find themselves needing to unexpectedly do a plunge cut into something like drywall for inspection or an electrical box.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That in turn reminds me of spiral scrollsaw blades, which are omnidirectional. I've used 'em, they let you do tight corners like nothing else, but the cut quality is pretty terrible and they make a ton of dust.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hubis posted:

Don't listen to these fools, they lack imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYnPwcHywU

First cut: kickback. Amazing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

First cut: kickback. Amazing.

You do not use a fence for cross cuts like that because it will cause a kickback.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

TescoBag posted:

I was actually looking at the Bosch 12v - I would be using it for taking apart some electronics quite a bit, but I'd like to get 1 tool that will do as much as possible. Do you think on the lowest torque setting it would strip medium softness screws?

Why, this is literally the application I use it for. the 1 torque setting in the brushed drill slips the clutch if you look at it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JEEVES420 posted:

You do not use a fence for cross cuts like that because it will cause a kickback.

Oh, of course. I'm just amazed that's literally the first example of him using that... thing.

Then again, bad choices were being made from the very beginning.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Very late to screw-chat, but the Simpson StrongDrive Screws are loving magic. Instead of having to palm nailer in 700 god damned 16d nails, you can impact gun in 700 1.5" #10 screws. Faster, easier, less wood splitting (especially if you pre-drill for the cross-anchor screws. Also, they use a regular hex head, so a lovely little $3/ea dewalt magnetic 1/4" nut driver driver lasts roughly forever, you have no cam-out, and everything just goes in so much faster and more importantly quieter.

If you ever need to put up a bunch of hangers for timber, they're by far the best thing going. Also, unlike nails you 100% cannot just flex it apart, once it's together that's it, you're gonna splinter out the wood before the strongtie or screws fail.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Very late to screw-chat, but the Simpson StrongDrive Screws are loving magic.

Agreed. The 3" structural lags are also great for sistering joists/rafters, though they can get pricey fast. I mean, if I can get my framing nailer in there, I'm using that, but those SDS lags are easier than through-bolting it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Those guys aren’t even trying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9aW6c2w1Fk

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32E__mwNjAs

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

As an older millennial, I had that 'Real Power Tool Shop', and it definitely did not have 'real power'.

The separate tools isn't a 'waste' or 'marketing' thing, they just realized with automated manufacturing that a brushed 120v motor is an inexpensive part. What little can be saved by making a common motor assembly is lost when you have to add specialized couplings and brackets to make it adapt to multiple tool heads. Not to mention different gearing or motor speeds.

I guess it is still used for expensive, battery-powered outdoor power tools like a weedwacker head that can convert to a pole saw or edger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

As an older millennial, I had that 'Real Power Tool Shop', and it definitely did not have 'real power'.

It worked okay enough if you had fresh batteries and used the supplied balsa wood.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah 6AA's isn't going to give you much Powa.. My dad had a woodshop so I just used his poo poo.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

This looks kinda neat

However, it's a kickstarter?

So use a rotary encoder to measure wood length for a miter saw? That makes sense to me on paper, but I'm not sure how practical and repeatable it would actually be. Also its $100. And a kickstarter.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Tres Burritos posted:

This looks kinda neat

However, it's a kickstarter?

So use a rotary encoder to measure wood length for a miter saw? That makes sense to me on paper, but I'm not sure how practical and repeatable it would actually be. Also its $100. And a kickstarter.

Wish I had thought of this, not gonna lie :eyepop:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'll give it twelve months and wait till it's on AliExpress lmao

Tbh that concept is loving brilliant though and I too wish I'd come up with it

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

maybe I am just old school but I don't think I would ever fully trust that and double check with a tape measure...which would kinda negate the need for one.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

maybe I am just old school but I don't think I would ever fully trust that and double check with a tape measure...which would kinda negate the need for one.

Like the old adage says, "measure exactly once with the most precision instrument available and then cut away!"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hubis posted:

Like the old adage says, "measure exactly once with the most precision instrument available and then cut away!"

Measure twice, cut once. Then throw that piece out since your tape measures don't agree on what an inch is and start going down a really deep rabbit hole.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Measure once, then cut the piece slightly too large and slowly creep up on the final dimensions until the fit "feels" right :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
This is my process:

Take way too long absolutely truing up your Miter Saw so it cuts exactly 45 degrees and vertical
Make a new zero clearance fence so you have an completely flat surface and supported cuts for no tearout
Measure 3 or 4 times
Bring wood over to the saw and then realize you need to measure on the other side because your cut needs to be opposite
Bring wood back and measure 3 or 4 times on the other side
Bring wood back to the saw and then cut just slightly large so you can creep up on the proper fit
Realize that you STILL cut the opposite miter that you were trying to cut

Then you turn your 90 degree corner in to a 45 degree corner and pretend it's a feature you were going for.