Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BMan posted:

You ever wonder if these card companies keep a secret stash of rare cards to "find" and sell when they get valuable?

Remember the Chessex thread? LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

BMan posted:

OK lol, apparently they did just that with loving yu-gi-oh cards and lost the license because of it

Source on this? I'm curious but Google isn't helping me.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Wasn't there a magic the gathering promotion where they put an original unlimited card in new packs?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
MtG is actually pretty responsible with this and doesn’t even like that these high value cards exist, because they scare new players off from the game.

There are very few competitions that allow these crazy high value cards (the power nine), usually competition is capped at the last 4-7 sets so that if they make any balance mistakes the older cards will cycle out. They’ll also ban any cards at the drop of a hat if they turn out to be too powerful.

I think there’s a Planet Money ep that goes into the problems they had to solve in the early days with cards like Black Lotus.

(My wife is semi-pro and I don’t actually know what I’m talking about, don’t @ me if I got anything wrong)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Magnetic North posted:

Source on this? I'm curious but Google isn't helping me.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100227092937/http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/news/news_100113-Trial01.html

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/TDM_Jesus/status/1273978968803176448?s=19

wonder how much he's spent on Pokemon and CSGO skins

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Photex posted:

Time to start reading the r/relationship thread to find someone divorcing a man child who spent all their money on Pokémon.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fools Infinite posted:

Wasn't there a magic the gathering promotion where they put an original unlimited card in new packs?

Yes. Zendikar! I got a Mox Ruby and promptly had it swindled out of my little hands by a Comic Book Guy-looking mother fucker who owned the shop

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Photex posted:

An amount equivalent to one marriage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ulf posted:

MtG is actually pretty responsible with this and doesn’t even like that these high value cards exist, because they scare new players off from the game.

Counterpoint: MtG could simply reprint all those high value cards and then they would no longer scare new players off from the market.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
MtG created a new rarity that's even rarer than rare so that the best cards would require the purchase of more product

They're in it to make money and have a healthy competitive scene, in that order.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Counterpoint: MtG could simply reprint all those high value cards and then they would no longer scare new players off from the market.
They don't because these cards are so accidentally powerful that you'd never use anything else. The designers just didn't know what they were doing in the alpha. There are card combos that can win the game before your opponent takes their first turn.

Agreed that MtG is a money-printing machine and that playing it is BWM. I'm just saying its BWM in that you'll buy a lot of cards over time to keep up, not in that you'll be buying $40k black lotuses (unless that's your thing) because they're not legal in most competition.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ulf posted:

They don't because these cards are so accidentally powerful that you'd never use anything else. The designers just didn't know what they were doing in the alpha. There are card combos that can win the game before your opponent takes their first turn.

Agreed that MtG is a money-printing machine and that playing it is BWM. I'm just saying its BWM in that you'll buy a lot of cards over time to keep up, not in that you'll be buying $40k black lotuses (unless that's your thing) because they're not legal in most competition.

They could reprint the cards, but still ban the new cards from most formats, if they so desired.

Although I guess I am confused about the economics of Magic Cards. I thought you could only buy new cards from the manufacturer through booster packs. If that is the case, I don't get why they would be invested in making sure that the Black Lotus is expensive in the aftermarket.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

silence_kit posted:

They could reprint the cards, but still ban the new cards from most formats, if they so desired.

Although I guess I am confused about the economics of Magic Cards. I thought you could only buy new cards from the manufacturer through booster packs. If that is the case, I don't get why they would be invested in making sure that the Black Lotus is expensive in the aftermarket.

They're not really though the halo they get from having cards that go for six digits doesn't hurt.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You can only buy new cards, but there's a huge secondary market of unopened packs of old sets.

You're right they could reprint the power nine and keep them banned in most formats, but I don't think they care and it would just piss off the few players of the old formats. It's not like playing with those cards is fun, especially if everyone could afford four of each. They completely subvert the mechanics and timing of the game.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Phanatic posted:

they actually can't

they bizarrely chose to enter into this legal-ish agreement in 1996 promising to never reprint hundreds of cards explicitly so that they'd hold their value lmao

e: and now that it's severely hamstrung older format popularity, pretty much everyone would be okay if they reneged on that except for a few smaug-rear end motherfuckers sitting on a pile of five-figure cards (also, these cards were produced with 1993's top anti-counterfeit technology, meaning none, and nearly-indistinguishable fakes are on the market. so, there's that)

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 21, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does their agreement prevent them from printing a new card, only usable in old formats, called Lack Blotus or Rox Muby, with identical function to the originals?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It does! TIL: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/official-reprint-policy-2010-03-10

quote:

Reserved cards will never be printed again in a functionally identical form. A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spokes posted:

they bizarrely chose to enter into this legal-ish agreement in 1996 promising to never reprint hundreds of cards explicitly so that they'd hold their value lmao

They adopted a policy, they didn't sign a contract. They can unadopt that policy whenever they want.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, that's not a legal agreement. It is just a promise they made to placate the collectors.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Phanatic posted:

They adopted a policy, they didn't sign a contract. They can unadopt that policy whenever they want.

note: biggest IANAL ever here -- i'm only parroting what i've heard other folks say, but i believe they're concerned about legal action (even frivolous) based on "promissory estoppel". folks invested a lot of money in their collections based on Wizards (now a part of Hasbro) promising that they wouldn't take this action that would cause the value of those collections to go down. Whether they're justified or have merit or whatever is a concern for smarter people than me, but it doesn't really benefit Wizards to remove the policy* and would just cause them potential headaches at best (and if a judge/jury did find them liable, oof).

*aside from making a quick 200k on Secret Lair: Duals or whatever

edit: also this isn't just something they said in magic's infancy, they reiterated it in the 2000s and 2010s. some people are absolutely going to be upset and damaged enough to pursue legal action if they go back on it, even if it's just a very small minority

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Spokes posted:

note: biggest IANAL ever here -- i'm only parroting what i've heard other folks say, but i believe they're concerned about legal action (even frivolous) based on "promissory estoppel". folks invested a lot of money in their collections based on Wizards (now a part of Hasbro) promising that they wouldn't take this action that would cause the value of those collections to go down. Whether they're justified or have merit or whatever is a concern for smarter people than me, but it doesn't really benefit Wizards to remove the policy* and would just cause them potential headaches at best (and if a judge/jury did find them liable, oof).

The canonical example of promissory estoppel is when a company extends a job offer, you accept, quit your current job, move across the country, rent a new house, and then show up for your first day of work and they say "oh, sorry, we changed our minds." You suffered an actual economic loss based on the promise of employment.

Wizards never promised that your cards would retain value. Wizards never promised that your cards would appreciate in value. If Wizards promised something and then reneges on that promises in a way that causes you to lose your cards, okay, promissory estoppel might apply. But if Wizards decides to crank up the printing presses and send the value of cards on the reserve list into the crapper, you still have your cards. You have lost nothing. "But now I can't sell the cards for as much as I might have been able to sell them in some hypothetical future timeline in which you didn't print new copies of them" isn't an actual loss, it's fortune-telling. Also someone claiming promissory estoppel would need to show that he took action based on the promise: he'd need to show that he bought the cards based on WOTC's promise. And finally I don't think "I bought some cards on the secondary market" creates the sort of relationship between WOTC and the card buyer that needs to exist before a claim of promissory estoppel can be brought.

It's no different from a car company saying "We won't close this factory" and then I buy that company's stock on an exchange because I believe them and that must mean they're doing well. When they go and close that factory and the stock price goes down I absolutely do not have a case for promissory estoppel.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 21, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A famous photographer did that a few years ago. Sold a bunch of prints as an exclusive one-time thing and then decided to sell some more, which pissed off everyone who spent tens of thousands of dollars on the original prints.

But someone who spends tens of thousands of dollars buying photographic prints would probably value a first edition print differently than subsequent editions so it's impossible to accurately gauge how much less money they can launder now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wizards is also really hesitant to mess with stuff that drastically changes card values, because the retailers at which people learn/play the game are holding millions of dollars collectively in secondary market inventory and they want to keep them happy and solvent. They're kinda stuck with the reserved list policy now, even though it's dumb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It would be trading maybe a quick buck for a massive amount of goodwill, I'm sure someone thought about this over there too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes. Zendikar! I got a Mox Ruby and promptly had it swindled out of my little hands by a Comic Book Guy-looking mother fucker who owned the shop

did you get it back

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Photex posted:

Let’s ask for advice on how to commit fraud from Pokémon children, this can’t possibly go wrong

quote:

DaTem_stonks3d
Sorry but What a bitch for taking your pokemon cards. She purely cares about the cash. I’m guessing your passionate about those cards, otherwise you wouldn’t grade them. She doesn’t care That she is taking away a part of your personality, she Just wants to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.

quote:

Finding proof of value is very difficult because of emotional attachment as well. Yes a Medusa sells for $1200 but emotionally I’m not selling it for less than $2000 and so it’s challenging.

This One Weird Trick that is totally original and nobody has ever tried before!

quote:

The_real_MHS3d
I have no clue in which country You live and how law look a like there, but I assume that in most of the countries there's possibility to "donate" some amount of cash / stuff to Your family members (kids / brother / mother etc.) without paying taxes if You don't hit more than ex. 10 000$.

So at Your situation I would try to find some information about this, and if it's possible at Your country, I would just "donate" as much money as I could to my family to save as much as possible.

It might be even possible with Your Pokemon cards (drat bro she's so bitchy that she want to take away from You part of Your hobby)

So fingers crossed and wish You luck

quote:

Galahad2113d
If shes being petty about trying to get as much value out of you as possible, then make it as difficult for her to do so, its already hard enough for you, don't need financial loss too.

Dick move but you could always just burn or give away your pokemon cards, all shes gonna do is sell them, bad morally but who cares if shes trying to take loads of your poo poo, stop as much of it from going to her, lowkey sounds like quite a bitch

quote:

Burning the cards means you have no cards, instead of 50% of the cards. This is the dumbest loving advice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

or hear me out

make a stack of cardboard boxes, laser print a top layer of Pikachu Illustrator cards and then burn it to ashes on videotape

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Burning Worthless Miscellany: emotionally, i'm not selling for less than $2000

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Switchback posted:

Burning the cards means you have no cards, instead of 50% of the cards. This is the dumbest loving advice.

Someone has been lucky enough to never be witness to a divorce

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Ulf posted:

There are very few competitions that allow these crazy high value cards (the power nine), usually competition is capped at the last 4-7 sets so that if they make any balance mistakes the older cards will cycle out. They’ll also ban any cards at the drop of a hat if they turn out to be too powerful.

I think there’s a Planet Money ep that goes into the problems they had to solve in the early days with cards like Black Lotus.

(My wife is semi-pro and I don’t actually know what I’m talking about, don’t @ me if I got anything wrong)

Please tell us how bwm it is to be a semi pro MTG player.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
They should reprint blacker lotus (black lotus for four mana but you rip up the card) in a standard set instead. The cheese stands alone made it into a real set so there is precedent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

n8r posted:

Please tell us how bwm it is to be a semi pro MTG player.

Bad With Males: being female in a children's card game tournament for grown men

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spokes posted:

I think was the plot of the yu-gi-oh anime

There is at least one case of that, where Kaiba owns what are as far as anyone knows the only three playable Blue Eyes White Dragon cards in the world, and rips the fourth one (owned by Yugi's dad) in half so no one else can use it. (Since the rules of the game are you can only have up to three copies of a card in your deck)

Also Maximilian Pegasus who owns the company that makes the game has his own one-of-a-kind custom deck of overpowered (and silly) cards, which he uses on top of being able to literally read minds, and also rampant cheating on top of that. And not even getting into the Egyptian God Cards, which are somehow dangerous to use possibly because they invoke actual Egyptian gods. (The setting's idea of them anyway)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 22, 2020

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

They should reprint blacker lotus (black lotus for four mana but you rip up the card) in a standard set instead. The cheese stands alone made it into a real set so there is precedent.

I think you mean Chaos Confetti?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Best way to opt out of certain taxes?

Hello,

I'm 28 and have my first full-time salary job where I am not claimed as a dependent. My dad had been able to opt out of many of his taxes over the years. He has done so successfully because he believes that many of the things they are spent on are worthless and that social security will not be available due to the pyramid scheme structure.

He's shown me how to opt out of paying social security tax through religious exemptions, but he says that the other opt outs basically involve setting your allowances to max and paying your taxes at the end of the year minus the parts your opt out of. He says that sometimes the IRS will get in touch with you and ask you to defend your exemptions and I'm not as experienced as he is.

Does anyone else have experience wit tax opt outs and know the best way to explain them?

I know that some people are against this, but it my Dad has not paid social security tax for more than 14 years with a legitimate exemption and has only had the IRS get in touch with him once to dispute an opt-out from income tax and he won. He's been filing his taxes with no issues since for over a decade. I'm not looking for a debate on how much taxes we should be paying, but just the practical aspects. Like how do people do it legitimately the best, are there other taxes we can opt out of that we haven't thought about, etc?

Thank you.

And yes, these are all legit.

https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/...curity%20taxes.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/red-alert-politics/ron-paul-no-one-pay-federal-income-tax-including-trump-video

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

i'm opting out of sales taxes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how do we opt this guy out of society

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://i.imgur.com/w2HDiSu.mp4

Why does this image automatically make me think of this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

CmdrRiker posted:

Why does this image automatically make me think of this thread?

Because it's cursed and puts an image in my head that I wish didn't exist, just like this thread?