Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Veotax posted:

More Quarantine Builds!

No. 6: RG Evangelion Unit-01 Test Type

Forgot to take any pictures before I put it in it's final pose. But this build was very different, felt very organic for a giant robot. Funny to see a RG kit that entirely abandoned the Advanced MS Joints or whatever they're called, instead of pre-moulded joints it instead has a few parts moulded in multiple colours. Seems like a good alternate route to take for RG's if the line needs to keep with the double moulded parts (or whatever you would call them) as recent kits have very few of them. Surprised that it can't seem to attach to a base at all, there is no base adaptor and no holes to plug into (well, maybe the hole where you would plug the fuel-pump-thing into, but I haven't tried it).

My non-Gunpla shelf now looks decidedly less cute.

No. 7: RG Force Impulse Gundam

I built the MG version of this kit back in January, mostly brought it because of how loving stupid the "transformation" looked. When I saw that a RG version had been released I couldn't resist, especially to see the difference in engineering from the 12 years between the kits.

Quick look at the final kit (with no stickers) before I get into the comparisons:

Core Splendor:

Nice little jet, even comes with landing gear like MG version. Uses one of the only two Advanced MS Joints, essentially the whole thing is built on a 'frame' of the one piece that allows the nose and cockpit to fold over so it docks into the Gundam.

The RG has an overall darker colour tone than the MG. The RG holds up well detail-wise, though the MG has some grey on the non-moving parts of the wings. Also the MG has a seated pilot figure. MG version requires a base adaptor while the RG version just has a 3mm hole.

Chest Flyer(?!):

This dumb thing. Uses the second Advanced MS Joint to allow for some ab-crunch, but it articulates from the front of the chest rather than the back (since the chest doesn't actually have a back.

Compared to the MG this is really impressive, I feel that it has a lot more detail and the articulation is way better (especially the part that allows the shoulders to come out at 90°, I felt like I was going to break something on the MG). Again, the colours are darker, apart from the vents on the shoulders, on the MG it's a light purple and on the RG it's a baby blue.
Both use a similar base adaptor.

Leg Flyer (?!?):

Not much to say about this, apart from being a flying pair of pants. The, uh, 'transformation' is easy, it's just bending the knees in a weird way and folding the front of the feet down. Don't really like the base adaptor, just kinda big and ugly, there is another hole on the 'bottom' of the adaptor that I noticed after taking these shots, but it doesn't fix the thing being big and ugly.

Again not much to say here, just some differences in the details and the RG has more of the inner frame poking through. The MG does have some sweet pointed feet that the RG doesn't have though.

Silhouette Flyer:

Not much to say here, going to save my thoughts for the comparison.

Going to give the RG the advantage in terms of details. The obvious difference is that the MG has black wings while the RG has grey, however the painting instructions say to paint all except the front of the wings grey, so I'm leaning to giving the RG the win for colour accuracy. The engine on the MG is able to articulate, the RG's doesn't. Not pictured, but the MG has removable landing gear while the RG doesn't.

Details feel largely the same on the Force Silhouette, however the articulation is completely different between the two. The MG's wings are able to articulate up and down, with a bend in the middle, while the RG's can bend backwards with no articulation in the upper wings at all. The RG does have some little rocket engines that you can pull out on the grey bits that connect the lower wings.
Also, colour differences again, the RG uses a much deeper black.

Force Impulse Gundam:

Tried to recreate the pose I had the MG in, but the RG doesn't have the big-honking-sword.

The dumbest display I could make with the two kits.

And just for the hell of it, my whole collection so far:

The MG Hi-Nu Gundam is going to move over to the rest of the collection once I've gotten around to decaling and top-coating. The second picture is supposed to be non-Gundam kits, but I've just put the Hi-Nu out of the way and the Jesta is testing out a 3D printed wall mount, but I might start wall mounting Gundam kits over here. Starting to run out of space on the main display.

Aww, buzz and unit 01 matched their colors :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

d3lness posted:

Gunpla makes the voices quiet. You know I'm being serious and you all know exactly what I mean.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I crave snip snap time in the same way I crave naps in the afternoon or a beer after a long work day.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
One of my favorite things to do with the hobby is take friends to a hobby store, convince them to build gunpla with me, and then see which one they pick out. None of my friends have any gunpla knowledge, so it's always a good time to see where their base instinct tastes are.

Today I fooled my parents into building gunpla with me, as they're visiting from out of state (read: asked them to). They're both engineers, my mother is the more deadpan one, and my dad is obsessed with disc golf and running 5ks.

Father gunpla of choice: Maganac ("I liked the simple design")
Mother gunpla of choice: Transient gundam ("I liked all the clear blue bits and the shape")

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Veotax posted:

More Quarantine Builds!

No. 6: RG Evangelion Unit-01 Test Type

Forgot to take any pictures before I put it in it's final pose. But this build was very different, felt very organic for a giant robot. Funny to see a RG kit that entirely abandoned the Advanced MS Joints or whatever they're called, instead of pre-moulded joints it instead has a few parts moulded in multiple colours. Seems like a good alternate route to take for RG's if the line needs to keep with the double moulded parts (or whatever you would call them) as recent kits have very few of them. Surprised that it can't seem to attach to a base at all, there is no base adaptor and no holes to plug into (well, maybe the hole where you would plug the fuel-pump-thing into, but I haven't tried it).

My non-Gunpla shelf now looks decidedly less cute.

That's a good-lookin' EVA. I haven't felt like working on mine in a couple weeks now for some reason, even though all that's left is one leg (and all the accessories..)

I bought the transport platform set thinking it would be a cool alternative to an action base.. but there doesn't seem to be any way of actually securing the model to it? Like, the shoulders slide into place but there's nothing to latch onto. Nothing to secure the feet. The umbilical cord is just a slightly springy piece of wire, so that's not going to do anything (..other than amusing me as the EVA goes *doing doing doing* on the end of it). I guess you could jury-rig something using the plug parts for the umbilical cord, but it seems like an odd detail to skip. :shrug:

Veotax posted:

No. 7: RG Force Impulse Gundam

I built the MG version of this kit back in January, mostly brought it because of how loving stupid the "transformation" looked. When I saw that a RG version had been released I couldn't resist, especially to see the difference in engineering from the 12 years between the kits.

Quick look at the final kit (with no stickers) before I get into the comparisons:

Okay, speaking as someone who actually liked SEED, can I just say that Impulse was the stupidest loving design and I hated every second of its stupid loving transformation sequence? :bang:

Veotax posted:

The dumbest display I could make with the two kits.

This is cool and good though and I'd almost consider buying the kit to do a similar display. I do kind of like the separate Core Splendor and Silhouette Flyer..

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zodack posted:

Today I fooled my parents into building gunpla with me, as they're visiting from out of state (read: asked them to). They're both engineers, my mother is the more deadpan one, and my dad is obsessed with disc golf and running 5ks.

My dad ordered me a kit from Amazon for Xmas (I know, gently caress Amazon, but he's trying :unsmith:), and he keeps getting, "You ordered this, you might like this!" emails. I told him to just give in and build a kit :D

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So I’m fairly sure I lost a part for MG Barbatos (C23; dark brown cylindrical cover for a shoulder piston) and I don’t want to order a new set for this tiny thing. What can I do to get a new part?

I think the set would work without it, but I would know.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Decided to break my gunpla building drought in the dumbest possible way and pulled the trigger on buying and building a 20 year old MG Dunbine, which is still one of my favorite designs in the history of giant robots. It was the first model I’ve dealt with that had joint screws, I still haven’t put together the tiny pilot figure because I don’t have any appropriate glue, this bug was way outside what my tiny gunpla nook was ready for. It kicked rear end to put together? It was surprisingly enjoyable to deal with things that have been engineered better since as a one time event. I’m not in a hurry to deal with more tiny screws, certainly, but I honestly had more difficulty putting together the hands on my MG Turn A then anything on the Dunbine. And it’s a cool bug robot and reminds me of one of the first robot shows I tracked down to watch on my own. I’ll throw in some photos when it’s not past midnight, I think.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

So I’m fairly sure I lost a part for MG Barbatos (C23; dark brown cylindrical cover for a shoulder piston) and I don’t want to order a new set for this tiny thing. What can I do to get a new part?

I think the set would work without it, but I would know.

https://www.plapartsjapan.com/

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been on a bit of an RG kick lately and I'm currently working on the RG Gundam Mk.II. I'm really impressed with it so far with it being such an old RG, also surprised that it has you construct the entire inner frame before doing the armour.

The fabric tubes on the legs are better than on the MG too, same material except you put a wire inside which helps them hold in place better.
Hoping it'll stay stable once the armour is on and it doesn't turn into a hand grenade or something.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Veotax posted:

I've been on a bit of an RG kick lately and I'm currently working on the RG Gundam Mk.II. I'm really impressed with it so far with it being such an old RG, also surprised that it has you construct the entire inner frame before doing the armour.

The fabric tubes on the legs are better than on the MG too, same material except you put a wire inside which helps them hold in place better.
Hoping it'll stay stable once the armour is on and it doesn't turn into a hand grenade or something.

Those tubes stay in place perfectly fine. That was my first RG and it's still happily standing today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A 1/100 scale SBB Yamato seems to be within the purview of this thread,

https://twitter.com/mitisiruberx/status/1273939219782594560?s=20

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Rad. Thank you!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Rad. Thank you!

Sure!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New on PB today, MG Testament Gundam!

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1274842200270974976?s=19

They're doing a real good job of fielding the non-UC side stories recently.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Kind of a bummer, I lost a faceplate for my HG lupus rex, and the part is on one of the bigger runners. I looked it up on bandai's kit and not only is it out of stock but its gonna cost 3/4 of the price of an entirely new kit to get it here to Australia using those guys, after fees and stuff.

Kinda annoying that the smallest part missing is gonna cost almost the entire cost of a new kit.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah I am building the rest of this kit to see if I just misplaced it. And I have a bunch of parts in a bag somewhere, so maybe I’ll get lucky or be able to trim something to size.

BUT. I’m glad the option is there even if it’s more money to spend. W/e, my peace of mind is worth some cash.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

So I'm really eyeing this Sakura Wars preorder, but it's so expensively cheap.

Man I gotta find somewhere that'll send it to Aus, I'm really digging it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man I gotta find somewhere that'll send it to Aus, I'm really digging it

What's wrong with HLJ? :confused:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I didn't know they existed?

e: Or more accurately I'd heard of them but didn't know they'd ship stuff out here

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 22, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't know they existed?

e: Or more accurately I'd heard of them but didn't know they'd ship stuff out here

They're solid. One of the best sources in the business. Just be sure to filter out out-of-stock items, they have an extensivecatalog, but they don't have it all in stock at once.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm freaking torn. Anastasia's mech is the best but A) she's the least interesting character and B) it's gonna be hard as hell to paint not only the boobs but the goggles. They're gloss clear in the game and getting them painted her flesh tone with the white outer part?

Also if they don't have the openable umbrella so it can be posed floating down and firing, it's gonna be such a missed opportunity D:

I started on Sakura's Kobu Kai and futzed with how to get the pearlescent look - Vallejo Metal Medium thinned for airbrushing does the trick so nicely, if anyone is ever going for a pearlescent metallic look. Took forever to futz with white and pink to get the right shade. The kits have seams on a couple of parts - I think the forearms and the joints. Those joints are gonna be a bitch to sand down and keep the nice even look.

Throwing in for Gunpla and mindfulness - it's such a wonderful hobby to force focus. ADHD and its hyperfixation can hit me pretty hard sometimes. Having a singular thing to focus on is a huge, huge help.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MJP posted:

I'm freaking torn. Anastasia's mech is the best but A) she's the least interesting character and B) it's gonna be hard as hell to paint not only the boobs but the goggles. They're gloss clear in the game and getting them painted her flesh tone with the white outer part?

Maybe you could shade the skin under the goggles a shade darker, like this

and/or add a bit of white at the top of the lens for shine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah gently caress I'd have to paint her in there, huh

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah gently caress I'd have to paint her in there, huh

The figures are separate, at least, and if nothing else the Sakura Shinguji figure was engineered so that there were no really awful seams. I was able to paint most of the parts (in my lovely way) after snipping and cleaning them up.

Gripweed posted:

Maybe you could shade the skin under the goggles a shade darker, like this

and/or add a bit of white at the top of the lens for shine

I've tried following along with mini painting tutorials but any time I actually do any of them, it just looks like such utter poo poo. Shading is no exception; I either turn it into a wash or a giant blob of paint over whatever I was trying to shade.

I've tried a handful of times to paint minis, all I can ever actually do is flat colors and washes. I have great respect for mini painters but I'm at the point where even trying to do more than the basics ends up not sparking joy. Last thing I need with all the temptations of other free-time hobbies is to get frustrated with Gunpla and model building.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm still a plamo baby and painting is a scary prospect.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still a plamo baby and painting is a scary prospect.

Painting models, even with paintbrushes, seems to be way easier to learn than painting things that are meant to be living creatures. I don't know why it was easier for me to grasp using an airbrush to paint, shade, etc. but I jumped in an have done OK with it. But miniatures? gently caress me, I'm lucky I was even able to control my hands for enough time to not just paint ugly stripes everywhere.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

MJP posted:

Painting models, even with paintbrushes, seems to be way easier to learn than painting things that are meant to be living creatures. I don't know why it was easier for me to grasp using an airbrush to paint, shade, etc. but I jumped in an have done OK with it. But miniatures? gently caress me, I'm lucky I was even able to control my hands for enough time to not just paint ugly stripes everywhere.

That depends on what you're going for. Lots of robots and stuff have tons of smooth surfaces while organic stuff generally had a bunch of bits with weird textures and detail. I had an easier time learning on creature models since learning to dry brush was a big boost to my motivation and confidence while starting out. On the other side of that, I still loving hate painting big smooth areas. Avoiding brush steaks is one thing, but shading takes forever and suuuuuuucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

That one looks interesting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MJP posted:

I've tried following along with mini painting tutorials but any time I actually do any of them, it just looks like such utter poo poo. Shading is no exception; I either turn it into a wash or a giant blob of paint over whatever I was trying to shade.

I've tried a handful of times to paint minis, all I can ever actually do is flat colors and washes. I have great respect for mini painters but I'm at the point where even trying to do more than the basics ends up not sparking joy. Last thing I need with all the temptations of other free-time hobbies is to get frustrated with Gunpla and model building.

I suck at washes too, but there is another way !

A lot of people will tell you two things about painting minis: don't prime in black and don't do a lot of drybrushing because it tears up brushes. I'm telling you the opposite: prime in black and get ready to do a lot of drybrushing ! Ideally you'll have enough paints that you have or can mix darker and lighter shades for the basic colors you're going for. I work with a dry palette and like to have a few squares of a good paper towel - you want both absorbent and textured. When you're working on black and building up colors you actually want a sort of damp brush. You're looking to transfer paint, just not as much as a wet brush. You're going to do layers of color and each will go on dryer than the last until you're doing the equivalent of a very fine highlight with an airbrush, just with a little dry paint on a brush. You want the raised areas to catch a lot of paint, with some getting in the recesses but not a full coat. On a large smooth area, be gentle, be dryer, and leave some shading where it's needed.

Having multiple brushes makes it easier to change your working color, one can dry while the next is putting on a different color.

Start from the inside out. Paint the face a dark brown, with as I said, a damp brush. You don't want full coverage ! A little black around the edges of your color is part of the shading, and the outlining helps the colors pop. Now pick large areas and drybrush them a darker shade than what you're going for. The thin layers and black primer will help shade it down darker. When they're dry go back with a dryer brush and your intended color, leave it a little darker than your intended final shade. Lastly a highlight pass with a lighter shade and a seriously dry brush will bring up the middle layer and make it look right.

Like this guy:

Naturally shaded by the black showing through, highlights applied, and a lazy silver drybrushed on all the metal. Looks fine on the tabletop.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Just finished my Heavy Arms and put Wing onto a base.

Looks better now, but I gave up on that effing gun Wing is using and used some glue. Also touched up the Heavy Arms with some paint, but it's not really noticeable on the picture. Baby steps. :3:

Also my order from HLJ arrived today. Build order is probably from top to bottom.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Just finished my Heavy Arms and put Wing onto a base.

Looks better now, but I gave up on that effing gun Wing is using and used some glue. Also touched up the Heavy Arms with some paint, but it's not really noticeable on the picture. Baby steps. :3:

Dramatic lighting dot jay pig

I like it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Trying to be rational about my need to complete arbitrary lists of molded plastic, here.

I’ve already got an RG Tallgeese and I quite like it. I’d like to have a full Wing crew. I’m not too too fussed about differences between EW/TV (also I’m only on like episode 22 of the show).

I was thinking I would go 1/144 scale so I didn’t have to redo the Tallgeese and also it would be cheaper/less space. I like the RG Wing Gundam EW over the Zero (I can’t get on board with the feathers, sorry feather friends), there’s a HG Heavy Arms about to come out, and a HG Sandrock that’s recent. Looks like I’d kind of have to wait for a quality Deathscythe and Shenlong or else use ones released a long ways back.

I guess I’m asking if there are any MG kits of those six that are true must-haves that should change my mind and bump me up to 1/100 scale? God knows I’m susceptible to arguments of “yeah, but you’re not getting the real experience unless...”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Also my order from HLJ arrived today. Build order is probably from top to bottom.

Having built both I suggest putting something between Gundam 3.0 and Banshee as a break as they are both builds with a lot of little interactive pieces that can get frustrating. With Gundam 3.0 the Core Fighter isn’t required; there is a solid piece that goes in the chest intended for me use with the LED puck that will save you a couple of hours and make the finished model more stable. With Banshee, notice that the very first pieces you put together (I2/I8)have two positions; not moving this piece when transforming is the source of many complaints about the MG Unicorn waists.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The Endless Waltz Wing Crew is going to be available for pre-order today at 6:00 PM PST on Premium Bandai. I'm looking forward to being able to pick up the kits at retail. I have Deathscythe and Wing Custom, but couldn't convince myself to pay the very expensive prices for the other suits.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

One reason I like 1/144 over my old fixation on MGs is because the scale is pretty populated and I can line up my HG Leo next to my RG Tallgeese and have them look good together.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Uh if anyone's doing an order, I would happily pay for someone to order me a tallgeese iii mg and then ship it to Canada.

Cause I really don't want to pay $225 dollars for a god drat tallgeese iii.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks, d3lness. :hfive:

Midjack posted:

Having built both I suggest putting something between Gundam 3.0 and Banshee as a break as they are both builds with a lot of little interactive pieces that can get frustrating. With Gundam 3.0 the Core Fighter isn’t required; there is a solid piece that goes in the chest intended for me use with the LED puck that will save you a couple of hours and make the finished model more stable. With Banshee, notice that the very first pieces you put together (I2/I8)have two positions; not moving this piece when transforming is the source of many complaints about the MG Unicorn waists.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you! :tipshat:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Monaghan posted:

Uh if anyone's doing an order, I would happily pay for someone to order me a tallgeese iii mg and then ship it to Canada.

Cause I really don't want to pay $225 dollars for a god drat tallgeese iii.

I'll try to Pre-Order two if possible mate. I'll let you know if I'm successful and then talk to you again in December.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo I need this so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apparently, the Barbatos expansion kit managed to sell the first wave on the US shop in a matter of hours. They're already moving to a December print run.

Popular Mobile Suit.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 23, 2020