Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have a big university nearby there's a good chance it has a lot of Chinese students and there's at least one real Chinese restaurant in the university neighborhood/town. You may have already checked this but if not it's worth poking around the restaurants on google maps. My old college town is the middle of nowhere and had nothing when I went, but there are like four Chinese places there now that look legit as hell in the pics.

We have some real restaurants that have been great, but can't seem to stay open for too long or don't deliver. The only exception being one dim sum place that seems to be where our asian population of Salt Lake has most of their graduation and other celebrations. Pretty much can't go their and not have a rowdy party of 20 having a raging celebration, and half the time random beers get sent to your table so it's always a good time. Still wish we could have one or two "authentic" New York style takeout places though that don't dumb down the recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That sucks. I hope you can find something out there.

My other restaurant hunting tip is look for places that have bad reviews specifically citing rude service. That's probably a place catering to immigrants. Service in China is pretty abrupt and dismissive from a US perspective so if you don't know that it can seem rude. Personally I love not having someone come over to interrupt me every five minutes "just checking in" but whatever.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

That sucks. I hope you can find something out there.

My other restaurant hunting tip is look for places that have bad reviews specifically citing rude service. That's probably a place catering to immigrants. Service in China is pretty abrupt and dismissive from a US perspective so if you don't know that it can seem rude. Personally I love not having someone come over to interrupt me every five minutes "just checking in" but whatever.

The city I work for is the "bad part" of Salt Lake so I've got a ton of restaurants just like this that serve Peruvian, Vietnamese, Mexican and don't have the fake service element but are good as hell. Just have to not be a jerk and be willing to accept your server might not have perfect English and holy poo poo you find food in Utah with flavor. Sadly though yeah no Chinese place I have found yet like that. My watch goes on.

Derpies fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 14, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Derpies posted:

The city I work for is the "bad part" of Salt Lake so I've got a ton of restaurants just like this that serve Peruvian, Vietnamese, Mexican and don't have the fake service element but are good as hell. Just have to not be a jerk and be willing to accept your server might not have perfect English and holy poo poo you find food in Utah with flavor. Sadly though yeah no Chinese place I have found yet like that. My watch goes on.

We've got pretty good Thai as well, not sure if it's super authentic but it's tasty.

Have you been to Sasa Kitchen near the U? I don't have a good metric for authentic Chinese food, but it's pretty much always packed with asian grad students so I figure it can't be that bad.

What's the dim sum place you like? My current go-to dim sum is New Golden Dragon, but I'm interested in a new place (Hong Kong Tea House is good too, but I haven't been there in a while.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made beef and broccoli with mock duck subbing in for beef and it's excellent.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Arcturas posted:

We've got pretty good Thai as well, not sure if it's super authentic but it's tasty.

Have you been to Sasa Kitchen near the U? I don't have a good metric for authentic Chinese food, but it's pretty much always packed with asian grad students so I figure it can't be that bad.

What's the dim sum place you like? My current go-to dim sum is New Golden Dragon, but I'm interested in a new place (Hong Kong Tea House is good too, but I haven't been there in a while.)

Dim Sum house on 11th and State is the one I've been to a few times and it's always been rowdy. Haven't been out much the past year years do to now having a toddler running around so am not super up to date, will have to check out Sasa Kitchen for a date night some time though. If that's where the grad students are going you can trust it, should ask my intern right as now as well on restaurants, she did her mission and lived in China for a a while.

For Thai I live near Chabaar on Ft Union and State and they're absolutely fantastic, agree on the Thai food front. A lot of the places aren't run by Thai families, but they still cook tasty food and fill that nitch. We've got some good food here, just have to really look for it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Derpies posted:

Dim Sum house on 11th and State is the one I've been to a few times and it's always been rowdy. Haven't been out much the past year years do to now having a toddler running around so am not super up to date, will have to check out Sasa Kitchen for a date night some time though. If that's where the grad students are going you can trust it, should ask my intern right as now as well on restaurants, she did her mission and lived in China for a a while.

For Thai I live near Chabaar on Ft Union and State and they're absolutely fantastic, agree on the Thai food front. A lot of the places aren't run by Thai families, but they still cook tasty food and fill that nitch. We've got some good food here, just have to really look for it.

For sure. I really like Channon Thai and Skewered Thai, but that's because I live on the east bench and they're easier to get to. Haven't been to Chabaar but I'll give it a go. Channon's quality, Skewered is decent but a little bougie and it's really only on my list because it's convenient.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Arcturas posted:

For sure. I really like Channon Thai and Skewered Thai, but that's because I live on the east bench and they're easier to get to. Haven't been to Chabaar but I'll give it a go. Channon's quality, Skewered is decent but a little bougie and it's really only on my list because it's convenient.

Chabaar does a "pot pie" style curry that is absolutely amazing if you like Thai food and puff pastry. I'd recommend that.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh man, next time I am down at the south end of the valley that sounds amazing.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

My fave hand pulled noodles place is still closed, so made some beef flank noodles (with shamefully non-hand-pulled soba instead of the real thing)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made 洋葱肉片 but noticed the cut of pork had quite a bit of fat when I was slicing it so I cut off the fat and put it in some water in the pan to render while I prepared everything. Then I fried it in about 50/50 pork fat and canola.

The result is pretty unfamiliar and great, it's the meatiest, porkiest pork I've ever made.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we’ve been getting a lot of mega fatty pieces of pork belly for cheap lately (thanks american corvid19 meatpackers for youre service) and basically doing that, rendering the fat and using it to fry everything else for the whole meal. it’s good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ugh this reminds me to order more fake meat

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
How's LKK XO sauce?

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
Since today is the Dragon Boat Festival, and everyone should eat zongzi, I came across alkanized zongzi.

A lot of the recipes seem to call for lye. Wondering if baking baking soda would be a good substitute? Has anybody tried it, I'm interested in the much more chewy texture of alkanized zongzi.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/11/baked-baking-soda.html

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

fart simpson posted:

we’ve been getting a lot of mega fatty pieces of pork belly for cheap lately (thanks american corvid19 meatpackers for youre service) and basically doing that, rendering the fat and using it to fry everything else for the whole meal. it’s good

I went and looked and the same is true at my local store - they've got pork belly crammed into the shelves deep and high. So now I'm planning to cook Mei Cai Kou Rou. I already have lots of Ya Cai in the foil pouches, is it worth the work to buy dry Mei Cai and soak and rinse it or will the ready-to-use Ya Cai be anywhere near as good?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have discovered a new way to eat lao gan ma chili crisp, but I hesitate to share it in case the ghosts of a thousand vengeful Chinese grandmothers descends upon me. :ohno:

It makes a really really tasty tuna salad if just mix it up with canned tuna and some mayonnaise. You don't really taste the mayo under the lao gan ma but if it's not there, the mix is just too dry. The crispness of the chili adds an excellent crunch. I know it sounds terrible, but it really is tasty. Obviously this is not Chinese cooking, but where else on these forums are people familiar with this magic sauce?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 26, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Myron Baloney posted:

I went and looked and the same is true at my local store - they've got pork belly crammed into the shelves deep and high. So now I'm planning to cook Mei Cai Kou Rou. I already have lots of Ya Cai in the foil pouches, is it worth the work to buy dry Mei Cai and soak and rinse it or will the ready-to-use Ya Cai be anywhere near as good?

I've only ever seen that made with yibin yacai from the pouches in Chengdu.

E: Now I'm not so sure, I don't remember ever seeing meicai before but I don't think I'd be able to tell. Anyway, I would just use yacai.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 26, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pookah posted:

I have discovered a new way to eat lao gan ma chili crisp, but I hesitate to share it in case the ghosts of a thousand vengeful Chinese grandmothers descends upon me. :ohno:

It makes a really really tasty tuna salad if just mix it up with canned tuna and some mayonnaise. You don't really taste the mayo under the lao gan ma but if it's not there, the mix is just too dry. The crispness of the chili adds an excellent crunch. I know it sounds terrible, but it really is tasty. Obviously this is not Chinese cooking, but where else on these forums are people familiar with this magic sauce?

I was using enough angry lady that I had to learn how to make it by the quart at home.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Grand Fromage posted:

I've only ever seen that made with yibin yacai from the pouches in Chengdu.

E: Now I'm not so sure, I don't remember ever seeing meicai before but I don't think I'd be able to tell. Anyway, I would just use yacai.

Yeah it just sounds a lot easier, but I'll keep my eyes open when I'm shopping and get some of the dried greens when I think of it.

My favorite use for Lao Gan Ma - the black bean kind - is putting a lot of it on cold cut up leftover baked potatoes. The black bean variety tastes like sleeping in an old canvas tent smells, in a good way.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My favorite way to eat Laoganma is to pick the dried tofu and peanuts out of the peanuts-tofu-kohlrabi version and eat them straight out of the jar tbh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I finally found some jiangdou that don't look completely awful and I want to make this. Searching for the name isn't getting me much, anyone know the Sichuan jiangdou? It wasn't spicy, I remember big hunks of garlic and Chinese bacon. Not sure what the sauce was.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SubG posted:

How's LKK XO sauce?

It's decent! Obviously not going to be a patch on homemade but also a shitload cheaper for making XO noodles or the like.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Kenji Lopez Alt on Instagram correcting Chinese people on his mapo tofu post that it's traditionally made with beef not pork. And not for people correcting him, him 'correcting' people when they said "I love it either veg OR pork!" with "well, actually".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

droll posted:

Kenji Lopez Alt on Instagram correcting Chinese people on his mapo tofu post that it's traditionally made with beef not pork. And not for people correcting him, him 'correcting' people when they said "I love it either veg OR pork!" with "well, actually".

well he's technically correct so [futurama gif]

but i don't really understand the context of the correction, lol. in higher end and "traditional" restaurants in sichuan beef (and often pig's brain) is used but outside sichuan and in cheaper places pork is used since it's a much, much cheaper protein in china than beef. basically the only people who would care are being kinda assholish i guess.

but pedantry about how to make chinese food "authentically" is extremely normal here lol. lemme tell you about arguments over if wosun or carrots should be in gongbao chicken or if you should use tianmianjiang, soy sauce, or both in hui guo rou people go fuckin wild over this poo poo

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 9, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
His rebuttal was 'Chen [the restaurant] uses beef therefor that's traditional/authentic not your family recipe'. It just sounds so tone deaf given the world we're currently in. He's not Italian, he's not French, he's not Chinese, stfu about what's authentic maybe?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

droll posted:

His rebuttal was 'Chen [the restaurant] uses beef therefor that's traditional/authentic not your family recipe'. It just sounds so tone deaf given the world we're currently in. He's not Italian, he's not French, he's not Chinese, stfu about what's authentic maybe?

lol, I found the post on insta and it's weird as hell he replied to that post like this????? I agree it's a bad fuckin look. I assumed someone said UGH YOU USED BEEF ITS PORK!!! or something but it's this completely innocuous post:

like i said even if he's technically correct the reply guy energy coming from this post is too strong for words and idk why he posted this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Beef is traditional, yeah. I don't get the problem. Just because you're Chinese doesn't mean you're always right.

And yeah what Magna Kaser says about the arguments is right. Half of the conversation at any Chinese dinner table is arguing about what ingredients should be in the food and complaining that something isn't authentic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

pork is used since it's a much, much cheaper protein in china than beef.

not anymore lol!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

not anymore lol!

this is true

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

Half of the conversation at any Chinese dinner table is arguing about what ingredients should be in the food and complaining that something isn't authentic.

(Kenji isn't Chinese)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

(Kenji isn't Chinese)

So? He can't know anything about Chinese food because he has the incorrect DNA?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ime chinese food is usually more about the technique and process than the ingredients used or specific recipe followed. i mean thats sorta true anywhere but i think it's so to a further degree than like, american food is

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

DNA? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Nobody brought genetics into this you weirdo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

actually,

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

DNA? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Nobody brought genetics into this you weirdo.

lol. You literally just posted that he isn't Chinese, but okay. I'm done with this.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

lol. You literally just posted that he isn't Chinese, but okay. I'm done with this.

Yes please do stay the gently caress out of this conversation that went well above your head.

(he didn't).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he obviously meant cultural dna

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

American food mostly isn't, in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

American food mostly isn't, in my experience

Please don't post about American food unless you have American DNA.

Meanwhile, AMA about Neanderthal food. I have the 23andme results to prove I am qualified to discuss authentic neaderthal cuisine.