Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I know someone who works at a VA hospital. They've told the staff that for COVID cases, if you're over 65 and/or have ever smoked, you won't get to have one of the scarce ventilators if someone else might need one.

That's like 95% of the patient population because they're mostly Vietnam era GIs who got issued cigarettes

Jesus.

I know with exactly 2 guys who didn't smoke while in at some point- Myself, and my old Gunner.

E- I like Pudding Brains stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Beautiful!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is "ever smoked" a thing now?

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

spacetoaster posted:

Is "ever smoked" a thing now?

Yes, because in medicine your long-term risks are looked at using what is called "pack years". So even if you stopped 10 years ago we still want to know how many "pack years" of damage you have in your lungs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DaNerd posted:

Yes, because in medicine your long-term risks are looked at using what is called "pack years". So even if you stopped 10 years ago we still want to know how many "pack years" of damage you have in your lungs.

Yep, packs per day and years smoked.

My medic and I like to calculate lifetime cigarettes off our heaviest smoking patients, the record is 996000ish.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

the record is 996000ish.

:eyepop: yikes

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My medic and I like to calculate lifetime cigarettes off our heaviest smoking patients, the record is 996000ish.

That person's chest must be composed primarily of a mass of tar with some lung tissue suspended in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fearless posted:

That person's chest must be composed primarily of a mass of tar with some lung tissue suspended in it.

He called the ambulance because he had been coughing up blood.

For six months.

I don’t know why he was suddenly concerned by it, but, welp. The ambulance reeked of old smokes and Bengay for hours.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
He wanted to break 1,000,000 before he died, it was really a race against time.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

He called the ambulance because he had been coughing up blood.

I find that very hard to believe.

Specifically the idea that his body would still contain blood, rather than red-tinted nicotine sludge.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Once in a great while I'll get the urge, but cigarettes taste like rear end if your sense of taste hasn't been suppressed by smoking.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

George Burns was smoking 15 cigars a day, and drinking, in his 90's. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Volmarias posted:

He wanted to break 1,000,000 before he died, it was really a race against time.

"They send you a T-Shirt!" :shepface:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Marlboro branded treadmill!

*audience oooohs, then coughs, then hacks*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Now do the math on how much he spent on it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's like seventy years of smoking forty packets of cigarettes every day.

Are you sure you didn't forget to carry the one somewhere? Twenty to a packet, that's nearly eight hundred cigarettes a day, or forty to fifty per hour depending on how much sleep he got.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Carth Dookie posted:

Roll the army and airforce into the sea, whoever doesn't drown gets to join the navy. Then use the savings to fund public health and education systems so you stop regressing back to cro magnon.

This but with space and the space force.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

That's like seventy years of smoking forty packets of cigarettes every day.

Are you sure you didn't forget to carry the one somewhere? Twenty to a packet, that's nearly eight hundred cigarettes a day, or forty to fifty per hour depending on how much sleep he got.

“Calculate lifetime cigarettes”, not lifetime packs.

It’s forty cigarettes, or two packs per day, for sixty‐eight years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Would a marlboro branded ventilator be an admission that smoking is bad for you

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Platystemon posted:

For a truly shocking number find historical price data on cigarettes and calculate how much money he spent to absolutely destroy his own health

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

To be fair, he couldn't afford NOT to smoke when it was under $2.50 a pack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Platystemon posted:

This specific guy was 3 packs a day for 45 years and change.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Found out two weeks ago that an old neighbor of mine, Vietnam vet, died. How? Welp, COPD and on oxygen... and you can guess what next: needed a smoke and exploded, leaving him in an ICU where he didn't make it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AlanTudyk/status/1278399777307123712

Ah, the old "he was never abusive in front of me" chestnut.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Someone said this ray fisher guy has release the snyder cut in his profile right? Had anyone else corroborated his story yet?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Tobacco in general contains some radioactive elements (lead-210 and polonium-210, the former decaying via the beta pathway and the latter decaying via the alpha pathway), since the tobacco plant basically hoovers up all the minerals it can gets it tiny little root tendrils on before it gets harvested. Once you start smoking, you start inhaling these radioactive elements. Over the lifetime of a serious teenaged smoker to an emphysema-riddled cancer patient, you can end up with some pretty serious accumulations of radioactive elements. Which makes me wonder exactly how much lead lead-210 and polonium-210 that dude's lungs and bones had managed to accumulate in his life time.

Honestly, kinda glad I moved from smoking cigarettes to using Zyn. Nicotine by itself ain't much better for me, but at least I'm not turning my lungs and bones into a radioactive element catch.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

A White Guy posted:

Which makes me wonder exactly how much lead lead-210 and polonium-210 that dude's lungs and bones had managed to accumulate in his life time.

His bones are now mostly lead so he's like Wolverine and indestructible

Also "using Zyn" makes it sound like you're some sort of cyberborg

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://youtu.be/w7eoQl_rxgc

Lmao I didn’t even know about the narco-genera.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the singular vice I kept from the military is a calorie free monster once a week

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A White Guy posted:

Which makes me wonder exactly how much lead lead-210 and polonium-210 that dude's lungs and bones had managed to accumulate in his life time.

One pack is a about 100 mBq retainer in your lungs and dose of roughly a microsievert.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've been smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day for loving years. I quit for a month, start again. Quitting isn't that hard (I guess because I don't smoke much to begin with) but staying quit is hard as balls. Anyways I still smoke cigarettes in 2020, I'm the idiot.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

One pack is a about 100 mBq retainer in your lungs and dose of roughly a microsievert.

I have no idea what these unit labels are. How many roentgens are we talking?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bird food bathtub posted:

I have no idea what these unit labels are. How many roentgens are we talking?

*rushes into thread panting for breath* NOT GREAT... NOT TERRIBLE... LOLOLOLOL

Sorry, is it obvious that I'm really tired of that "joke" whenever anything relating to radiation comes up?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

3.6, not great but not terrible

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*rushes into thread panting for breath* NOT GREAT... NOT TERRIBLE... LOLOLOLOL

Sorry, is it obvious that I'm really tired of that "joke" whenever anything relating to radiation comes up?

Sounds like someone needs some SAND AND BORON

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

I don't really know where to post this other than here

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I’m totally cross posting this to the TFR chat thread, I’m sure that’ll be fun.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

this can't be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Curious about that guy’s driving history now