Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah this weekend is going to be glorious :patriot:

Their sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
JFK is unlike the other 3 but ok, I see your point. We are bad people, I don't and won't consider Trump as a President, Obama then Biden is what I'll see. He is a bad man and I almost voted for him because I thought the way he talked was funny.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
one weird side effect is animation is going to be huge since live action production is still not really happening.

so we just got new clone high and beavis and butthead announcements. get ready for every animated show to return

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zer0spunk posted:

one weird side effect is animation is going to be huge since live action production is still not really happening.

so we just got new clone high and beavis and butthead announcements. get ready for every animated show to return

This doesn't even make sense though. Live action production is safer than animation, covid wise. At least with live action everyone is on a set with some space between each other. Animation is a bunch of people stuffed in a small, sweaty room breathing on each other.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This doesn't even make sense though. Live action production is safer than animation, covid wise. At least with live action everyone is on a set with some space between each other. Animation is a bunch of people stuffed in a small, sweaty room breathing on each other.

It's 100% not.

You're on top of each other constantly, especially on location. Equipment is shared. There's a reason you're not seeing film production in the US right now, from insurance not backing anything to the actors union throwing do not work orders on anything that even seems unsafe in the slightest.

Things that have tried have been shut down quickly, so I would guess that'll just keep happening to anything that attempts it regardless
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-production-paused-coronavirus-tests-1234640886/

I can't speak to animation because I work in film, but I would imagine it's a whole lot easier to accomplish remote work with way less people required to interact in the same space..and the orders coming in for it kinda mirror that.

e: I can show you the safety guidelines pdf that was published a week or two ago jointly by all the unions involved in the film/tv industry called "the safe way" forward and it's..not going to work. If production resumes people will get sick/die and they'll be shut down again anyway.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bold-beautiful-switches-covid-testing-labs-false-positives-1299995

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 3, 2020

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I had this thought the other day about the corona testing.

The government would like to have access to people's DNA; it makes it easier to solve crimes and stuff.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/medical-and-genetic-privacy/dexter-dna-and-your-privacy

I wonder if they're using the covid tests to just go ahead and opportunistically grab people's double helixes, because how could you pass that up? It's so convenient, and generally people need the tests to get treated in a hospital, or at least they're going to receive one or more while they're being treated. Could be!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zer0spunk posted:

It's 100% not.

You're on top of each other constantly, especially on location. Equipment is shared. There's a reason you're not seeing film production in the US right now, from insurance not backing anything to the actors union throwing do not work orders on anything that even seems unsafe in the slightest.

Things that have tried have been shut down quickly, so I would guess that'll just keep happening to anything that attempts it regardless
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-production-paused-coronavirus-tests-1234640886/

I can't speak to animation because I work in film, but I would imagine it's a whole lot easier to accomplish remote work with way less people required to interact in the same space..and the orders coming in for it kinda mirror that.

e: I can show you the safety guidelines pdf that was published a week or two ago jointly by all the unions involved in the film/tv industry called "the safe way" forward and it's..not going to work. If production resumes people will get sick/die and they'll be shut down again anyway.

I can speak to animation, and film, as I've worked in both, and you have infinitely more room on a film set. Animation can't be done remotely except on extremely small projects. Not to mention most inbetweening work is still done in China/Japan, and those places are literal animation sweatshops with everyone working inside each others butts.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

zer0spunk posted:

i like this derail cuz it's a good buy lmao. i haven't found it to do that oddly enough, maybe the poo poo that its mixed with at this point prevents it, who knows. i leave it in a glass jar overnight with no top usually, then funnel it back into the bottle. usually lose a tiny bit in that transfer, but it's still like 3/4th of a bottle that's lasted over a year. it's good stuff, op

No doubt that stuff is awesome, but an overnight soak in iso is good enough 99% of the time. Just be sure to wash with water after.

And, to move this back on topic, a recent study found that :420: keeps you safe from the rona: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-two-researchers-hope-to-use-cannabis-to-temporarily-close-the-doors-on-coronavirus-181015918.html

I realize that this is just one study, but if it's true, time to buy those dispensary stocks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What part of animation actually needs everyone to be crammed into the same room, instead of just "the boss wants everyone crammed into the same room so they can be peering over everyone's shoulder at once"?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I can speak to animation, and film, as I've worked in both, and you have infinitely more room on a film set. Animation can't be done remotely except on extremely small projects. Not to mention most inbetweening work is still done in China/Japan, and those places are literal animation sweatshops with everyone working inside each others butts.

Ok, I'm telling you as someone that has 15 years in the film industry, or did anyway until march shut us all down, production and social distancing is a joke. If you want i can start posting set pictures where dozens of people are jammed together. How does a steadi cam op work from a 6 ft distance?

You're tripping if you think film production is safe and the unions agree, thats why it ain't happening.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zer0spunk posted:

Ok, I'm telling you as someone that has 15 years in the film industry, or did anyway until march shut us all down, production and social distancing is a joke. If you want i can start posting set pictures where dozens of people are jammed together. How does a steadi cam op work from a 6 ft distance?

You're tripping if you think film production is safe and the unions agree, thats why it ain't happening.

I didn't say it was safe, I said it didn't make sense that animation would take the place of live-action production because it was perceived as safer.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I didn't say it was safe, I said it didn't make sense that animation would take the place of live-action production because it was perceived as safer.

I mean think about it, actors can't have masks and are required to be within 6 ft of each other in scenes.

You're also seeing more and more animation orders because it's less risky and easier to produce. Clearly, whatever production methods they are using they are able to compartmentalize.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/sony-pictures-animation-kristine-belson-covid-19-r-rated-movies-1202969612/

quote:

Belson said the past few months have gone “surprisingly well” as her group has made the transition to remote work and coped with the limitations of COVID-19. Unlike live-action production, which depends on a number of crew members and locations, animation work has been able to continue, albeit in a very different way.

Unlike some tech companies, which have told employees they can work from home indefinitely as they reconsider office space entirely, Belson’s unit will not go fully virtual due to the nature of the work. “There’s just something different when you’re all in a room together,” she said. Video conferencing and digital tools are effective, but “you can’t hear laughter as well.”

As far as production during COVID-19, she said, “There are areas we’re trying to work through.” Voice recording has been able to continue thanks to innovation. “We’ve made real headway,” she said, citing specially rigged iPads sent to talent at their homes.

dont know why you're surprised it's easier to modify animation to continue to pump out content then it is live action, so that's exactly what you'll see

hate to tell you, you're going to get way more shoot at home style shows like all the stuff TBS announced. celebrity home joke off or whatever.

and you'll get way more game shows because they are..and i quote *shudder* a pool of rotating talent. Doesn't matter if your talent gets sick, bring in the next contestant. I wish I were joking (trying to find the trade article about the upfronts I read that lovely quote in)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how Toy Story was saved because one of the workers was on maternity leave and had a nearly complete duplicate of the assets so she could work at home?

Yeah, so WFH animation has only gotten more practical since then.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just write your drama around covid. Bingo masks for everyone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Platystemon posted:

You know how Toy Story was saved because one of the workers was on maternity leave and had a nearly complete duplicate of the assets so she could work at home?

Yeah, so WFH animation has only gotten more practical since then.

This is dumb and no studio would do this in 2020. 1 losing all your data 2 having some rando have a copy of near everything at home.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zer0spunk posted:

I mean think about it, actors can't have masks and are required to be within 6 ft of each other in scenes.

You're also seeing more and more animation orders because it's less risky and easier to produce. Clearly, whatever production methods they are using they are able to compartmentalize.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/sony-pictures-animation-kristine-belson-covid-19-r-rated-movies-1202969612/

The story though seems to forget the bulk of animation work which is done in asia. It's all fine and good if the north american primaries are working from home, doing keyframes and storyboarding. Then they offload inbetweening to asia, where studios range from compact, to literal sweatshops.

There's a reason Simpsons poked fun at this fact.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The story though seems to forget the bulk of animation work which is done in asia. It's all fine and good if the north american primaries are working from home, doing keyframes and storyboarding. Then they offload inbetweening to asia, where studios range from compact, to literal sweatshops.

There's a reason Simpsons poked fun at this fact.

yeah about that banksy simpsons gag

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2027768,00.html

quote:

But when a California-based production studio asked Shin to animate a dark commentary about labor practices in Asia's cartoon industry — the edgy title sequence for the The Simpsons' episode "MoneyBART" — he and his staff raised a rare protest. The sequence, created by Banksy, the pseudonym for an unidentified British graffiti artist known for his anti-Establishment pranks, ran during the opening credits — a regular slot known to Simpsons fans as the "couch gag" because it's a joke thrown in as the Simpsons family is seen gathering on the couch at the start of each episode. It depicted a dungeon-like complex where droning Asian animators worked in sweatshops, rats scurried around with human bones, kittens were spliced up into Bart Simpson dolls, and a gaunt unicorn punched holes into DVDs.

(See a gallery of The Simpsons' guest voices.)
Shin was disappointed. The satire, he and other animators have since argued, gave the impression that Asian artists slave away in subpar sweatshops when, in fact, they animate much of The Simpsons every week in high-tech workshops in downtown Seoul. "Most of the content was about degrading people from Korea, China, Mexico and Vietnam," Shin fumed. "If Banksy wants to criticize these things ... I suggest that he learn more about it first."

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The animation will almost certainly be produced in China or Japan. Or any country with a competent Covid-19 response.

Voice acting can be done remotely.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yes, I knew about the complaint. People complained because there are good animation studios in asia.

There are also very, very bad ones.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, I knew about the complaint. People complained because there are good animation studios in asia.

There are also very, very bad ones.

You started out spouting off about it being impossible to do animation with social distancing so I don't even know what you're trying to get at at this point.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

My bowl really needs a good clean in some rubbing alcohol and sea salt, but I'm making the sacrifice of not buying the stuff because people need it for better reasons right now

use acetone

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Michael Corleone posted:

JFK is unlike the other 3 but ok, I see your point. We are bad people, I don't and won't consider Trump as a President, Obama then Biden is what I'll see. He is a bad man and I almost voted for him because I thought the way he talked was funny.

JFK was going to close down the CIA. The CIA runs rampant around the world overthrowing democracies among all the other poo poo they get up to. Also, that seminal moment is when the US really started to split. LBJ escalating in Vietnam which led to the fracturing of the country. The US, I mean.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Shaocaholica posted:

Just write your drama around covid. Bingo masks for everyone.

you joke but i think the vibe is no one wants to see covid poo poo in the shows they use as escapism from covid poo poo.

plus then it dates your show if you go with topical stories all of a sudden in a show that isn't a procedural or something.

honestly i'd take masks in dramas over zoom reunion specials :negative:

e: i think the blacklist ended up animating the parts of the episodes they hadn't finished filming during the march shutdown and released that as a season finale. if i cared more about james spader related news i'd link it

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Waltzing Along posted:

JFK was going to close down the CIA. The CIA runs rampant around the world overthrowing democracies among all the other poo poo they get up to. Also, that seminal moment is when the US really started to split. LBJ escalating in Vietnam which led to the fracturing of the country. The US, I mean.

Also JFK was going to put the US back on the gold standard, which would have made the Powers That Be a wee bit unhappy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Just going to point out to non-americans and those not in the know: this was all done to the US people and the world OUTSIDE of us being able to vote. Corporations being people? That wasn't put to a vote. Kennedy getting shot by the CIA? No vote for that either. War on drugs? We didn't vote for that. Politicizing abortion and turning the republican party insane? Again, no vote.

These are four core things that have pretty much ruined the United States and all were decisions made outside of elections. All have completely hosed over the US and the rest of the world as a result.

There is a sizable number of people in this country that are not happy with the state of things. You could say, "go out and vote" to change things. The problem is the system is completely rigged. It's one party pretending to be two who shut out everyone else.

If we had fair and honest elections, we could make incremental change. Maybe. But we don't even have that. As such, even when someone like Bernie has a huge amount of support and is still moderate, he gets screwed over by the corrupt system that doesn't want him. Things are completely hosed and not getting better any time soon.

Who do you think voted for the politicians who appointed and confirmed the judges that made corporations people? It's not like that came out of nowhere, it was openly the republican platform that plenty of people voted for. Same thing with the war on drugs, except bipartisan. Politicians kept getting "tough on drugs" because it got them votes from scared suburbanites. We can keep going with abortion. It was politicized by evangelicals trying to build a voting block, and only continues to be an issue because a significant number of people vote based on performative pro-life christianity. The republican party is insane because its constituency is insane, not the other way around. Sure, there's a feedback loop going on there, but the rancid bigotry and selfishness was there all along.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nixon started the war on drugs out of his rear end because he wanted a way to fight against protesters. It wasn't part of his platform when running for office.

E: also, there is a big difference between voting for someone who says they are going to do something and voting for someone who then does something that they didn't say they were going to do. ie: war on drugs, corporations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Racist party became that way explicitly because they saw an opportunity to win an election by throwing out all their pre-existing moral principles and instead pandering to the already existing racism in America. That was explicitly the point of the Southern Strategy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Nixon started the war on drugs out of his rear end because he wanted a way to fight against protesters. It wasn't part of his platform when running for office.

E: also, there is a big difference between voting for someone who says they are going to do something and voting for someone who then does something that they didn't say they were going to do. ie: war on drugs, corporations.

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/2000-republican-party-platform

quote:

Preserve the right of every individual and all groups — whether for us or against us — to express their opinions and advocate their issues. We will not allow any arm of government to restrict this constitutionally guaranteed right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_Supreme_Court_candidates

quote:

On September 5, two days after the death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Bush renominated Roberts as the 17th Chief Justice of the United States. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 29, 2005.

On October 31, Bush nominated another federal appellate judge, Samuel Alito, as his new choice to replace O'Connor. Alito was confirmed as the 110th Justice of the Supreme Court on January 31, 2006.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-205.pdf

quote:

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and SCALIA and ALITO, JJ., joined, in which THOMAS, J., joined as to all but Part IV, and in which STEVENS, GINSBURG, BREYER, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ., joined as to Part IV. ROBERTS, C. J., filed a concurring opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. SCALIA, J., filed a concurring opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined, and in which THOMAS, J., joined in part. STEVENS, J., filed an opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part, in which GINSBURG, BREYER, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ., joined. THOMAS, J., filed an opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the 3 links that have nothing to do with the start of the war on drugs or corporations being given personhood status in the early 20th century. At this point it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Good bye.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

everyone working inside each others butts.

where do I sign up

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Thanks for the 3 links that have nothing to do with the start of the war on drugs or corporations being given personhood status in the early 20th century. At this point it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Good bye.

The party whose platform lays out the basis for citizens united then wins the election (granted, tenuously in 2000). They appoint justices who share this world view, who are then duly confirmed by elected senators. These justices then go on to form a major part of the decision that cemented corporate personhood. It's a simple chain of events, and it's one that came as a direct result of voters' decisions. Yes, it goes back further than that, but it has always been out in the open and large swaths of voters just don't care or actively vote for the party supporting this position.

And sure, Nixon started the war on drugs, then Reagan (who actually did far more to ramp up the criminalization of drugs than Nixon ever did) campaigned on expanding it and won large majorities. The war on drugs was a hugely popular position for most of the late 20th century, the idea it was done behind the back of the electorate is laughable.

None of this has anything to do with coronavirus anymore though, so nevermind.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 3, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kpcYbIFkgk

This guy sounds like an idiot, but I’m not a doctor

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell it's just not slowing down

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Gee I wonder why?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
At this rate when will we hit 99%? Hopefully it’s at least 2 weeks before the election.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not quite animation, I've worked in VFX for 15+ years. But I've seen plenty of anim shops. You must've been in some godawful ones.

We're all quite happily working from home, I'm sure the set up is much the same for the major animation studios, and when we do come back social distancing will be quite simple.
Working on set may not be quite as bad as that other dude is making out, but I can certainly see animation picking up some slack, especially as it seems like this is going on for the rest of the year in america now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Despite your hopes, the COVID isn't going to usher in the age of anime, neither fate nor god is that cruel.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1278884723427770373

Every single news person who doesn't immediately counter-balance this by mentioning how trump (with the help of covid19) made 36 000 000 americans unemployed needs to set themselves on fire and walk off a cliff.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The numbers are going to keep going up up up until they fly off into space and disappear, you'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump did want a moonshot.