Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Caf posted:

I think Ingtar's obsession with finding the horn was because he saw it as his only chance at retuning to the light and finding salvation for his time as a darkfriend. Pretty sure he says something to that effect as they are fleeing Falme.

Yeah he pretty much straight up said that to Rand as he urged them to leave him behind. He was the one to let in whoever took that bow shot at Rand when he was next to the Amyrlin on their way out of Shienar. I love a good redemption tale.

I've definitely been surprised at how graphic a lot of the violence has been described. The scenes they find as they follow Fain are particularly gnarly. I first read through these first couple of books when I was 12 or 13, iirc. I was a pretty sheltered kid aside from fantasy books, so I'm kind of learning where some recurring nightmares I had came from lol. I also read the Sword of Truth novels pretty young, and those are even worse, particularly in terms of sexual violence and bad political allegory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caf posted:

I think Ingtar's obsession with finding the horn was because he saw it as his only chance at retuning to the light and finding salvation for his time as a darkfriend. Pretty sure he says something to that effect as they are fleeing Falme.

I get that, but it seems like the big personality change comes when he sees all the different versions of himself while they're transported to Toman Head.

I guess it's still up in the air and could be his desperation, as you say, but he comes off as so insanely desperate for basically the whole book, regardless of the social situation and how inappropriate it is. And since Jaichim Carridin definitely has some Compulsion he doesn't understand done on him at the Darkfriend Social, it seems not-crazy that Ingtar could've also been compelled there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eke out posted:

I looked him up after just finishing rereading Great Hunt and it seems like it's never confirmed that Ingtar was definitely under compulsion?

But yeah, on the second time around, it seems extremely clear that he is, he's totally psychotically obsessed with finding the Horn in a way that leads to him constantly throwing away decorum and dignity and seems totally 100% at odds with what a Shienaran lord should be like.

You could make an argument that Verin might've had something to do with it--it would fit her pattern to a T. Even when she doesn't use her trick (just short of Compulsion I think is how it's described? I'd have to look it up, ACoS?) to brainwash people into doing what they want in ways she wants, she seems to focus a lot on the redemption through dying well at a key moment angle.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

And making Valda a PoC is a clutch move - see the how to handle the obvious children = fantasy KKK??? for mass media discussion a dozen pages back or so.

On the other hand, he will be raping Morgase.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She said yes! under extraordinary amounts of duress

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
We were talking about Mat and consent earlier, and listening to that book has made me realize it has a lot going on about consent and lack thereof. Something I completely missed before: Rand's bleak depression isn't motivated by Perrin at all, it's that he believes he raped Min and is certain that he's gone mad already, and as THE DRAGON REBORN he's too important to face the justice he deserves.

Relatedly, on Elayne:

Mat: "I said no. She had a knife and said yes. What do you call that."
Elayne: "Have you considered practicing smiles in the mirror?"

The worst.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts concerning these books? There's a lot of them, ha. I'm resigning myself to this being my fixation for the next few months, and quarantine has me all caught up on my podcasts as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Thinking about it in that context, especially that exchange, makes me wonder if Elayne as a character was meant to be some sort of not very flattering commentary on second wave feminism.

Hard to say without knowing more about Jordan's personal politics but seems like more going on than can be solely attributed to her being an entitled princess.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mat Cauthon posted:

Thinking about it in that context, especially that exchange, makes me wonder if Elayne as a character was meant to be some sort of not very flattering commentary on second wave feminism.

I'm pretty sure that there was a heavy element of rejecting the "if women ruled the world, everything would be so much better!" notion, but I think Elayne here is just supposed to be acting from assumptions and partial info.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Vavrek posted:

We were talking about Mat and consent earlier, and listening to that book has made me realize it has a lot going on about consent and lack thereof. Something I completely missed before: Rand's bleak depression isn't motivated by Perrin at all, it's that he believes he raped Min and is certain that he's gone mad already, and as THE DRAGON REBORN he's too important to face the justice he deserves.

Rand's attitude towards women throughout the series suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Thinking he raped Min in that situation is pretty condescending. But his list is so much worse. I get that the books want us to understand it's a failing of his (to allow a woman to choose to sacrifice her life for his), but it's just so static. Sulin confronts him in Book 5 and he agrees to change, but nothing does. The Maidens beat him up in Book 8, nothing changes. If he had sent them away and lost their favor, that'd be some kind of interesting change. But nah, it's just book after book of people complaining about it and him saying, "ah shucks" as he gets walloped over the head again and again.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

On the other hand, he will be raping Morgase.
I can only hope that if the show gets that far into the books they'll find a more tasteful way to give Galad official motivation to take him down. I assume it will get dumped long before we have to worry about it though!

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 3, 2020

minema
May 31, 2011
Can't remember if it was mentioned here or somewhere else, but I've been less annoyed about the List and the accompanying angst after reading that Robert Jordan had to kill a woman in Vietnam and never fully got over it. It made it feel more realistic to me and I've been able to accept it as a character flaw much more this time around.

The Mat stuff remains gross though and he definitely intended it to be light comic relief which is a shame. Although doesn't Elayne apologise later on?

minema fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 3, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

There's no way Elayne would ever apologise for anything.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The thing I didn’t like about the list was that in itself isn’t a bad idea since killing someone can be traumatic, it’s that it’s only women. If he would have been remorseful about the hundreds of thousands of men he killed too, that would be much more forgivable. But nope, Rand the ultimate white knight needs to protect every woman he meets even though women are the ones that protect him the most. Dumbass wetlander.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The list also gets crazier with him as I recall.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

The list also gets crazier with him as I recall.

Yeah, that's part of why I never really felt like the books were endorsing it, so to speak, since, you know, Rand becomes a pretty terrible person for a while and what starts off as unironic white knighting ends up as an obsessive fixation.

quote:

I get that the books want us to understand it's a failing of his (to allow a woman to choose to sacrifice her life for his)

Maybe it'll feel differently when I get through the latter books again, but I always got the opposite impression: the books want us to understand that it's a failing of his that he can't allow others to sacrifice themselves for him, and that he can't see their deaths as anything but a reflection of his own lack of control and power, because of his combination of internalized misogyny and insanity.

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 3, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

Yeah, that's part of why I never really felt like the books were endorsing it, so to speak, since, you know, Rand becomes a pretty terrible person for a while and what starts off as unironic white knighting ends up as an obsessive fixation.

Maybe it'll feel differently when I get through the latter books again, but I always got the opposite impression: the books want us to understand that it's a failing of his that he can't allow others to sacrifice themselves for him, and that he can't see their deaths as anything but a reflection of his own lack of control and power, because of his combination of internalized misogyny and insanity.

Yeah, Mat is a good contrast because while he has similar hang ups about killing women, ultimately he will do what it takes to survive and sees them more like equals to men. The Aiel Darkfriend he kills is a good example - he was reluctant to kill her but did so, and didn't beat himself up over it for too long

Compare that to Rand who couldn't even bring himself to kill one of the Forsaken trying to explode him because she was a woman, and lost his most trusted advisor (and almost several of his closest allies, and his own life!) in the process

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

eke out posted:

Yeah, that's poor phrasing on my part. Your understanding is correct.

I didn't know that about Jordan and Vietnam. That makes a lot more sense, but I still wish that plot point had been more dynamic.

I forget - does Mat have another woman killed after ordering Renna to be shot before she gets to the Seanchan? As an aside I just looked Renna up on Fandom and the picture they chose is pretty creepy. Really drawing out the sexual undertones of the a'dam.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He killed the aiel he was sleeping with when she turned out to be a darkfriend...?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

He killed the aiel he was sleeping with when she turned out to be a darkfriend...?

Renna is much later, CoT-KoD.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Prairie Bus posted:

Yeah, that's poor phrasing on my part. Your understanding is correct.

I didn't know that about Jordan and Vietnam. That makes a lot more sense, but I still wish that plot point had been more dynamic.

I forget - does Mat have another woman killed after ordering Renna to be shot before she gets to the Seanchan? As an aside I just looked Renna up on Fandom and the picture they chose is pretty creepy. Really drawing out the sexual undertones of the a'dam.

After that they're attacked by Darkfriends in the next town they reach, and Mat freezes up fighting the last one (A woman), before Tuon kills her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Renna is much later, CoT-KoD.

Oh oh AFTER. I can read.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

eke out posted:

I looked him up after just finishing rereading Great Hunt and it seems like it's never confirmed that Ingtar was definitely under compulsion?

But yeah, on the second time around, it seems extremely clear that he is, he's totally psychotically obsessed with finding the Horn in a way that leads to him constantly throwing away decorum and dignity and seems totally 100% at odds with what a Shienaran lord should be like.

Well he was at the Darkfriend Social where Baalzamon uploaded subconscious images in everyone’s heads regarding future orders, so. (The Whitecloak Questioner POV spots signs of a Shienaran lord under the costumes.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think it's worth noting that part of the reason Rand is so hosed up about his list is because he's the Kinslayer Reborn. While he definitely does have his own issues on the subject that he needs to deal with, they're a bit exacerbated by the madness and the ghost in his head that never stops shrieking about how he killed his wife.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Didn't Lews Therin's voice even at some point start adding his dead wife's name and maybe others to Rand's list when Rand was reciting it? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm sure that having his hallucination/previous incarnation reinforcing the list certainly wasn't helping him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lord Awkward posted:

Didn't Lews Therin's voice even at some point start adding his dead wife's name and maybe others to Rand's list when Rand was reciting it? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm sure that having his hallucination/previous incarnation reinforcing the list certainly wasn't helping him.

Yeah, Lews Therin did start adding names after a while. I forget exactly when, but Rand does comment on how he noticed it but just went along with it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

For awhile he tries to reject the additions, but eventually stops noticing them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just got to shadar logoth again, and goddamn I know teenagers are stupid but they were so loving stupid.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

No, Moraine was really loving stupid there. All she gave them was the barest possible description, without even a cursory "do not stray from me, there are dangers here that I do not have time to tell of". You take teenage boys fresh off the farm to a ruined city, they're going to explore it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gnoman posted:

No, Moraine was really loving stupid there. All she gave them was the barest possible description, without even a cursory "do not stray from me, there are dangers here that I do not have time to tell of". You take teenage boys fresh off the farm to a ruined city, they're going to explore it.

Her too yeah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gnoman posted:

She's probably a lot more used to people shutting the gently caress up and doing whatever an Aes Sedai says to do, to be fair to her. But, she should surely have been smarter than to let them off an extremely tight leash considering she was certain one of those boys was the Dragon reborn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given all the prophecy poo poo i feel like no matter what she did mat would have managed to sneak off and be an idiot anyways

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OR MAYBE SHE KNEW ALL ALONG :tinfoil:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean its also worth remembering that Moiraine was basically dead on her feet at that point as she'd been doing demanding non-stop channeling for like 12 hours while they were riding. Lan and Nynaeve were mostly concerned with making sure she would get some sleep and not die on them too.

Like the Dragon is important theoretically, but Moiraine was in serious danger of dying or burning herself out and if she died then they all probably would have. I don't really blame her for Shadar Logoth.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zore posted:

I mean its also worth remembering that Moiraine was basically dead on her feet at that point as she'd been doing demanding non-stop channeling for like 12 hours while they were riding. Lan and Nynaeve were mostly concerned with making sure she would get some sleep and not die on them too.

Like the Dragon is important theoretically, but Moiraine was in serious danger of dying or burning herself out and if she died then they all probably would have. I don't really blame her for Shadar Logoth.

Oh not for shadar logoth as a choice, just someone, anyone should have kept an eye on the three of them.

But yeah Mat needed the dagger due to, well, everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Excuse me I think the term is “terminal moiraine”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

silvergoose posted:

Oh not for shadar logoth as a choice, just someone, anyone should have kept an eye on the three of them.

But yeah Mat needed the dagger due to, well, everything.

I mean at that point their party was just the boys, Egwene, Nynaeve, Lan and Moiraine.

Lan and Moiraine had been exerting themselves massively with Moiraine described as barely able to keep upright in her saddle. Lan is concrned with keeping Moiraine alive more than keeping an eye on three idiot shepherds as she's been his friend and partner for 20 years the search for the Dragon has always been her cause while he tries to keep her alive. Nynaeve is a healer who's already massively concerned with Moiraine's health and monitoring her.

That leaves Egwene as the only person who could even really theoretically keep an eye on them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nah, she was holding Nynaeve's bag o herbs.

Thom was with them with the horses and is like "Imma go smoke a pipe see ya". They weren't particularly his to watch obviously.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Point is that she didn't even bother with a "this city is cursed, don't go wandering or ypi'll die" on the way in. If she had donr that, and the boys wandered off anyway, O wouldnt blame her.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zore posted:

Yeah, its kinda sad we never got a good late book flash back to that incident. Compared to everything in the later books, that incident seems like a tiny skirmish, but it must have been the one of the toughest fight of her life at that point. But she didn't have a POV scene until the very end of that book, so we never heard her inner monologue to reflect on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Excuse me I think the term is “terminal moiraine”

:golfclap: