Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Broccoli Bunch loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Please let that be an isekai harem litrpg about an everyman who was reborn in D&D land as a dessert. That would be the absolute pinnacle of RRD technology.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Please let that be an isekai harem litrpg about an everyman who was reborn in D&D land as a dessert. That would be the absolute pinnacle of RRD technology.

There is an isekai series out a person reborn as a vending machine in a fantasy world.
It gets a harem somehow.
I am not kidding.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kalas posted:

There is an isekai series out a person reborn as a vending machine in a fantasy world.
It gets a harem somehow.
I am not kidding.

See, I should be holding my head in my hands, but in a weirdly visceral way I'm kinda impressed by the simultaneous creativity and barrel-scraping.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

See, I should be holding my head in my hands, but in a weirdly visceral way I'm kinda impressed by the simultaneous creativity and barrel-scraping.

If you too wish to peek into the abyss, it's called
'Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon'

This is not a suggestion to read this, more like something to search for on amazon to point and laugh at.

Then again it may forever taint your SEO with amazon.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kalas posted:

If you too wish to peek into the abyss, it's called
'Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon'

This is not a suggestion to read this, more like something to search for on amazon to point and laugh at.

Then again it may forever taint your SEO with amazon.

...so I don't think my sanity would survive reading it but I looked it up, and hearing reviewers refer to it as a "breath of fresh air in the isekai genre" reminds me to wonder why, holy crap why, the isekai genre is so popular.

Edit: Oooh it's a Shōsetsuka ni Narō thing, okay, that makes sense. For a split second I thought the concept had been developed with a publisher and editor. Whew, the world makes a tiny bit more sense now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

HWFWM? Oh, no, the cool litrpg isekai readers are on Cinnamon Bun now.

i got halfway through chapter zero and stopped because it read like it was written by a excited 9 year old out of breath telling his mom about something

is the whole thing like this?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The later chapters make chapter 0 man look laid-back and mature.

Edit: Oh wait, were you talking about cinnamon bun? I was thinking HWFWM.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

i got halfway through chapter zero and stopped because it read like it was written by a excited 9 year old out of breath telling his mom about something

is the whole thing like this?
broc's basic character is super happy excited sweet person, although she calms down a bit. she will try to make friends with everyone and everything, though.

if it's not for you, at least you know right away.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kalas posted:

It gets a harem somehow.
I am not kidding.

It worked for Coffee Samurai, so I'd give it a shot. And if you haven't watched Coffee Samurai, you should.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos
Can someone repost the link to the discord?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

Can someone repost the link to the discord?

which discord?

e: oh, the book barn discord?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Algid posted:

The Scourged Earth is abandoned now, but it was pretty good while it lasted.

Basically the Drake equation is wrong because the most successful interstellar lifeforms are all eldritch abominations at constant war with each other using tech so far beyond Earth looking at EM broadcasts doesn't even occur to them. Once Earth is finally detected, it gets invaded by everyone at once including the system, which is an ancient AI that tries to protect and assimilate sapiant cultures. Since both the AI (and the story) need people to maintain their own agency and fight awesome space monsters, this involves a lot of suboptimal plays like handing the MC an axe and telling him to go kill some psychic fungus.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have to admit I don't really like any of the people in it, but they're not quite bad enough for me to stop reading. It's pretty frustrating that the author think diplomacy/administration consists solely of assassination and threats. Everything about Greta is just dumb, and the author's take on how people function and interact just keeps getting dumber after she's introduced.

The different scourge types are really cool. The author does a good job of keeping enemies both coherent and fresh.

I think Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu is a more fun take on the same idea. Still an alien invasion, but much more upbeat and light-hearted. As you can probably tell from the title.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Broccoli Bunch loving owns.

Omi no Kami posted:

What does Broccoli have to do with dessert? I am so confused.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 30, 2020

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeehaw! Time for a proper Cadaver Synod.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Prac Guide 6.39 Well this is going to backfire spectacularly. A heroine raised from her execution to stand trial once more? The Dead King is going to get his hands on her somehow.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

What does Broccoli have to do with dessert? I am so confused.
Broccoli Bunch is the protagonist of Cinnamon Bun.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Prac Guide 6.39 Well this is going to backfire spectacularly. A heroine raised from her execution to stand trial once more? The Dead King is going to get his hands on her somehow.

I thought this was going to end in surprise last minute abduction, with like 3 possible factions including Cat herself potentially responsible. This on the other hand does seem like its going to be a biiig mistake.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

A big flaming stink posted:

which discord?

e: oh, the book barn discord?

I mean the web serial discord, either way both of the links are expired. Discord invites expire after 24 hours by default.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

I mean the web serial discord, either way both of the links are expired. Discord invites expire after 24 hours by default.

https://discord.gg/jVBX79

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This plan of Catherine's is weird. I don't see how there's a chance in hell of this staying secret - the proceedings in Procer itself wouldn't be very secret, so all Named will basically know what happened (and I doubt most heroes will be cool with it).

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That being said, I don't think this is going to happen. The mechanism by which Catherine raises people is actually probably not something the Dead King can mess with, since it's essentially facilitated by Sve Noch (who I don't think the Dead King can directly usurp on "their own turf" like that). I think it'll backfire more because it absolutely won't stay secret.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

LLSix posted:

Thank you for the recommendation. I have to admit I don't really like any of the people in it, but they're not quite bad enough for me to stop reading. It's pretty frustrating that the author think diplomacy/administration consists solely of assassination and threats. Everything about Greta is just dumb, and the author's take on how people function and interact just keeps getting dumber after she's introduced.

The different scourge types are really cool. The author does a good job of keeping enemies both coherent and fresh.
Everything Greta related is very dumb. The system politics parts of the story basically results in Derrick running into this comic, which more litrpg stories should really go into:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Caught up to the most recent Dungeon Crawler Carl. Contrary to its light hearted name, this is one of the most gruesome stories I've ever read. It reads like every story arc begins and ends with the author trying to think up something even more awful and disgusting than what just happened. And is completely self-aware about it, as are the viewpoint characters in the story.

The story is about an alien game-show/rogue-like. For something that leans so heavily into the game aspect, the mechanics have very little impact. The MC spends most of the story punching and stomping things, and he never gets meaningfully better at it. The other skills and spells don't feel like they show up very often. The MC does use explosives early and often. They exist mostly as a way to solve problems rather than game-like expendables that reliably do x amount of damage. They instead do all the damage, except against some bosses where they only do most of the damage.

Algid posted:

Everything Greta related is very dumb. The system politics parts of the story basically results in Derrick running into this comic, which more litrpg stories should really go into:

If the author leaned into that more, I think it would make for a more interesting story. Instead, the missions and awards fade into the background once the MC gets established. Which make sense, the system doesn't need to incentivize the MC to hunt down aliens, he already does plenty of that to steal their unobtainium that allows him to use magic. But you have to read between the lines so much, I'm not sure the author is even aware of that.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's a problem that the snake report has with book 2. Aside from the change of setting and almost total removal of the system and number go up, most of the new characters just weren't that likeable or engaging. If the fact that the system rewarded complete destruction of the human race was more of a focus it would have gone a lot better I think.

edit: For the scourged earth I meant specifically the part where practicing specific kinds of space magic is discouraged. The system actively works against the MC instead of just generically encouraging murder-hoboing.

Algid fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 3, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Tzarnal posted:

Agreed Katalepsis has been going strong the last few weeks. The Transhumanism seems to come with a lot of very real disabling headaches and bruises though. Now I'm not a particularly insightful reader. But I think the story might be trying to tell us that its actually Not Good.

I don't know if I'd have interpreted it that way without metatextual knowledge about the author, but my reading of the arc so far is "Heather's dysphoria is so bad it causes physical damage to her in additional to mental".

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
PGTE

I had assumed that Oliver had stolen his brother's identity, but i didn't think it'd be quite as literal as that.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I keep missing the links to the bookbarn/web serials as they keep expiring. Could someone drop them again while I refresh this page every half hour today?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I keep missing the links to the bookbarn/web serials as they keep expiring. Could someone drop them again while I refresh this page every half hour today?

https://discord.gg/kbYzMps

That one shouldn't die. That's for the Web Serials discord life raft that was made during LowTax2020(part1).

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Kalas posted:

https://discord.gg/kbYzMps

That one shouldn't die. That's for the Web Serials discord life raft that was made during LowTax2020(part1).

Thank you for giving me a life raft to share my terrible reading choices.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I got a friend into Cinnamon Bun and I don't know if I should feel bad for luring them into stories with menu boxes. They've been strong and waved off my prior litrpg recs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I got a friend into Cinnamon Bun and I don't know if I should feel bad for luring them into stories with menu boxes. They've been strong and waved off my prior litrpg recs.

you monster

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Broccoli wouldn't approve of being mean to your friends and forcing them to read a litrpg.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Broccoli would get very excited and try to share the exciting new cool litrpg she was reading, though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Something about the start of this week's Katalepsis makes me want to see a mini-arc that's just the entire house (and Twil, and Natalie) crammed into a station wagon and forced to go on a big, silly road trip for no reason.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Something about the start of this week's Katalepsis makes me want to see a mini-arc that's just the entire house (and Twil, and Natalie) crammed into a station wagon and forced to go on a big, silly road trip for no reason.

:same:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

And they're short one seat and Twil and Evee spend the entire trip trying to figure out why everyone thought that obviously Evee should just sit in Twil's lap.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

And they're short one seat and Twil and Evee spend the entire trip trying to figure out why everyone thought that obviously Evee should just sit in Twil's lap.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
hungry

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yes? Yes, I am taking notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Yes? Yes, I am taking notes.

I like how in Hungry's hands, that phrase can be both encouraging and absolutely terrifying.