Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i can't get over how perfectly menacing that panel of Makima with her flesh halo staring right towards the reader is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So the only thing not hit by the three immediately activated ability are adult women born in April? Oddly specific.

It skips April, July, and October. I dunno if there's any significance to those months, either in terms of the manga or in Japanese culture, though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's something significant about one of them.

Halloween!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And also 4th of July. :911:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Namnesor posted:

Uh... I don't think Aki has any legs anymore, in addition to losing his other arm:

Everyone else has shoes or a long skirt, but Aki doesn't.

That's not all he lost. If you look, you can see that his name appears somewhere else in the chapter.

On the list of fatalities.

Aki's life was suffering.

I doubt the followup will be much happier.

It'll be nice to get back to Denji. As grim as the manga can get in general, it tends to be even nastier when he's not around being a genius.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope we get clarification on why the Gun Devil can't insta-kill people born in certain months, I find stuff like that super intriguing and I'd prefer any answer to why that is, even a bad or lame answer, to just leaving it a mystery.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NowonSA posted:

I hope we get clarification on why the Gun Devil can't insta-kill people born in certain months, I find stuff like that super intriguing and I'd prefer any answer to why that is, even a bad or lame answer, to just leaving it a mystery.

Might be because this is only 20% of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

It might be less "can't" and more "didn't".

Survivors mean more fear. Fear means power. And when you're going up against Control at 20 percent, you want all the power you can get.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

It might be less "can't" and more "didn't".

Yeah this has been my reading of it. Somehow the gun devil can just pick some kind of category of people and just instantly shoot all of them simultaneously. I'm sure if it wanted, it could just shoot every human through the heart / head within a huge distance.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seemed more like a machine than an evil entity from another dimension.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

i can't get over how perfectly menacing that panel of Makima with her flesh halo staring right towards the reader is
Followed immediately by another great panel of the inhuman monstrosity that is the Gun Demon still making a recognizably human "what the gently caress?" expression in response.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think Aki is "dead" but he (antemortem) and Power will be used against Denji(maybe because he opens the door and needs to be stopped?), so he'll still witness the scene the Future Devil showed him.

e; also Power definitely isn't dying I'd bet money on it

Gwen fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 6, 2020

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the offical viz chapter came out today, its fair game to post without spoilers right?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

RatHat posted:

Might be because this is only 20% of it.

I'd settle for that being the reason, but I'd hope for something cooler or more interesting. That "cause more fear" idea has a fun ring to it, if it wasn't being used as a pawn of multiple governments that'd make a lot of sense as something it's just deciding to do.

With how things are escalating lately, I'd be pretty on board with the world in general getting real lovely (probably not Evangelion-level lovely, but noticeably worse), maybe from mass use of the Gun Devil, and then doing a timeskip that sees Denji with a new status quo and presumably a goal to take down Makima, maybe teaming up with the guy who trained him to try to do that. With the absolute boatloads of characters who have died so far, and presumably some more tragedy coming in the near future for him, I think setting him up with some new characters and an actual motivation/goal beyond basically "get laid by Makima" would be interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it has to choose conditionals. also, those can't be 'everyone, everywhere' or else the gun devil would simply be omnipotent.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

Seems symbolically interesting that while the chains of domination go through the victims' hearts as you'd metaphorically expect, the anchor point is Makima's... stomach? womb?

I assume womb. It also struck me as oddly specific and pretty weird.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I assume womb. It also struck me as oddly specific and pretty weird.
Given how Makima doesn't change form I'm pretty sure she's a fiend.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Given how powerful Makima appears to be I think she might be something we havent been formally told about yet. Just IMO. Very sad about Aki, since I don't think he is going to come back as a result of his contract with Makima, since the other 3 humans she has with her are not kicking around.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I feel bad for aki, not a good way to go. But he was fated to die in less than 2 years anyway.

Makima is a terrible being and denji needs to end her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'd settle for that being the reason, but I'd hope for something cooler or more interesting. That "cause more fear" idea has a fun ring to it, if it wasn't being used as a pawn of multiple governments that'd make a lot of sense as something it's just deciding to do.

With how things are escalating lately, I'd be pretty on board with the world in general getting real lovely (probably not Evangelion-level lovely, but noticeably worse), maybe from mass use of the Gun Devil, and then doing a timeskip that sees Denji with a new status quo and presumably a goal to take down Makima, maybe teaming up with the guy who trained him to try to do that. With the absolute boatloads of characters who have died so far, and presumably some more tragedy coming in the near future for him, I think setting him up with some new characters and an actual motivation/goal beyond basically "get laid by Makima" would be interesting.

The Gun Devil's been hired for a job, but he's still got some personal freedom on how to do it. As long as he kills Makima, nothing's off the table.

And, as the Gun Devil is a tremendous rear end in a top hat, his preferred methods involve killing thousands of innocent people, leaving arbitrary survivors to make everyone even more terrified. I mean, there might be another answer, but I think amping fear is the simplest explanation within the mechanics we have already.

As for the back half... I can see a timeskip, and I can even see Denji fighting Makima, but that presentation feels too by-the-numbers. I mean, when talking to Kishibe Denji says he's on the side of whoever'd take care of him, and he's repeatedly rejected a "big picture" view in favor of helping whoever's in trouble in front of him and/or his desire of the moment. Him abandoning Makima for "the greater good", is very much not a Denji move.

If he goes against her, it's probably going to be for immediate reasons, not as part of anyone's big plan, like the previous times he's almost quit. (And even then... well, I'm thinking about him letting Reze go. If a girl Denji likes is in trouble, that's concern 1. Everything else is comparatively irrelevant.)

BFC posted:

Given how Makima doesn't change form I'm pretty sure she's a fiend.

As Makima herself pointed out in chapter 1, and Aki verified later, you can tell fiends at a glance from their faces. She's either a pure Devil (and the most human-looking one yet) or a hybrid like Denji, in which case she's been doing all this fighting with one hand behind her back by not shifting to hybrid form.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Considering how human Angel looks, pure devil is hardly out of the question.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Acerbatus posted:

Considering how human Angel looks, pure devil is hardly out of the question.
They did straight up say the more human a devil looks, the more willing they are to cooperate.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm immune to the gun devil he ain't poo poo

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Gun Devil: This is not even my final form.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Gun Devil: This is not even my final form.

Still ain't poo poo

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Rereading the chapter I noticed that the gun devil puts a bullet through the heart of every living thing born in certain months, so that's a poo poo ton of dead animals on top of all the people.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Millions of ant-sized bullets. Fruitfly bullets too small to perceive with the naked eye.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Black-market ammunition manufacturers make a fortune by going to Gun Devil attack sites and just picking poo poo up off the ground.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So the world's most powerful non-primal fear is femdom.

Cool

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Rereading the chapter I noticed that the gun devil puts a bullet through the heart of every living thing born in certain months, so that's a poo poo ton of dead animals on top of all the people.

Wonder how it handles living things without hearts.

Is this the time for the Sea Cucumber Devil to make it's glorious return!?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Strange that Makima didn't bring Bomb or Arrow with her against the Gun Devil. Would add to the theory that she can't control hybrids like Denji?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reading older chapters and Makima tells Aki the Angel devil killed his whole village, which we now know was under her control. She probably used that as a justification for bringing him into custody(well I guess devils don’t have human rights anyway, murderer or not).

EDIT: Was it retconned that regular devils can heal from drinking blood? Early on Pochita and Bat healed from drinking blood, and Power regrew her arms somehow, but Spider and Angel are still armless? Maybe it was retconned to be just hybrids and Power(since she’s a Blood devil).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 7, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Reading older chapters and Makima tells Aki the Angel devil killed his whole village, which we now know was under her control. She probably used that as a justification for bringing him into custody(well I guess devils don’t have human rights anyway, murderer or not).

Yeah, from what we've seen it's keeping Devils alive that needs to be justified. Killing them is the accepted default. Bringing it up seems more like another example of Makima's horrible sense of humor than anything else.

Looking through the manga again, I'm still not sure if Makima likes Aki as a person or not, but I am sure that she finds him a neverending source of comedy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've never really read a Japanese comic while it was still coming out before, but I read this on a whim (someone recommended it because I like Spy X Family, no clue where they were coming from but I do love this) and binged it all in a week. Is this wrapping up soon? I feel like they're chewing through main characters so quickly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's always time and room for more sacrifices main chafacters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fadam posted:

I've never really read a Japanese comic while it was still coming out before, but I read this on a whim (someone recommended it because I like Spy X Family, no clue where they were coming from but I do love this) and binged it all in a week. Is this wrapping up soon? I feel like they're chewing through main characters so quickly.

Spy X Family has the same editor, Shihei Rin, and the author of it worked as an assistant on Fujimoto's last manga at their editor's behest. (Despite Endo having been serialized before Fujimoto was out of high school) Probably why it came up.

And it is chewing through main cast quickly, but that's probably just Fujimoto being Fujimoto. Shonen Jump tends to make a big deal when a manga's in the endgame, and they haven't said anything like that for Chainsaw Man, despite doing a big promotion for it pretty recently. Meanwhile, Fujimoto's killed off huge chunks of the cast and had endgame-y events long before now, even in this very manga. I'm not saying there's no way this is ending soon, but I'm putting more money against that idea than in favor of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this isn't the finale because pretty much none of the momentous events going on have much to do with denji.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
tbf this arc is most definitely going to be a game changer. My body is ready for the inevitable betrayals :devil:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This is all probably just leading to a power up for Denji this arc. We don't even have a final bad guy revealed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hamelekim posted:

This is all probably just leading to a power up for Denji this arc. We don't even have a final bad guy revealed yet.

Makima's been in like half the chapters ?????