Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I don't read as much as I used to but a few times a year, I feel like reading a few books. I just finished the Last of Us Part 2 video game and everything else I could think of playing would pale in comparison so getting involved in stories/characters is appealing to me right now and of course books is where I would get this fix but I'm not sure where to go since I'm not always in the book scene. Back in the 90 while in high school, I read so much horror and Stephen King stuff and in college I discovered Fantasy while getting into D&D so I read and enjoyed that stuff a lot.

I'm taking a chance of posting here and maybe bother you guys to give me some suggestions. I did check some of the websites in the OP but it's a bit overwhelming trying to find stuff to read when you don't know what you could be looking for in the first place. I tried reading the latest pages of the thread but I don't feel like it's worth it doing that way.

I feel like I'm in a mood for Science-Fiction or Fantasy. I didn't read much Science-Fiction but I did read a lot of Fantasy (Dragonlance, Drizzt, Death Gate Cycle, Chevaliers d'Émeraude and sequels which are a french canadian series, not sure if it was translated in English, some Witcher to name a few and gives an idea). I think I could go for something "new" as a book genre as I always liked apocalyptic/post apocalyptic movies, tv shows and video games, especially with a science fiction cause (like the fungus thing in The Last of Us).

Are there good books on this kind of settings you guys could suggest? Especially when the book or the series is not just about the "apocalypse" but the post stuff to survive, etc...

I would also like to add some other science fiction stuff and fantasy to my to read list. You already have an idea of the kind of fantasy I enjoy but I don't mind different suggestions as I'm kind of looking at discovering new things right now. I'm usually pretty open with the science-fiction when I look at the kind of comics, movies or tv shows I enjoyed (pretty much all big stuff I must have seen I think at least with tv and movies).

Thank you for your time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Pournelle ... had legit access to the ARPANET email system.

Not for too much longer!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It'd be worth checking out some collections of short science fiction too, that's one way to start narrowing down the kind of style you like, and themes you like, if you're not super familiar with the genre.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well if you're talking post apocalyptic fantasy, N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy is I guess an obvious recommendation.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cool thread on qibla and how it's calculated with modern tech + tips on how to do it in space and I am suddenly starved for sci-fi including this. There's prayer in Kameron Hurley's Bel Dame trilogy but they're not in space.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1279893046692216832?s=19

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I remember one of the characters in Charles Stross's Accelerando was a Muslim imam who lived in Jupiter orbit, but I don't recall if the issue of prayer direction came up.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm pretty certain it was mentioned in connection with the space rabbi in one of the later Dune books, but it was a very tiny digression. And here's a similar but different bit of Jewish responsa about terrestrial timekeeping in outer space

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Anne Leckies Ancillary justice and the sequels for sci fi! Raven tower by her for fantasy.

Broken earth is a great rec as well.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Selachian posted:

I remember one of the characters in Charles Stross's Accelerando was a Muslim imam who lived in Jupiter orbit, but I don't recall if the issue of prayer direction came up.

I'm pretty sure there's something about it.

But it's also... the Earth is so small and space is so big, it would be fairly trivial to be pointed towards the Earth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hemish posted:

I think I could go for something "new" as a book genre as I always liked apocalyptic/post apocalyptic movies, tv shows and video games, especially with a science fiction cause (like the fungus thing in The Last of Us).

Are there good books on this kind of settings you guys could suggest? Especially when the book or the series is not just about the "apocalypse" but the post stuff to survive, etc...

For post apocalyptic fiction, John Wyndham, especially his four classics: The Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes, The Chrysalids and The Midwich Cuckoos. (Last one is actually about an apocalypse averted, I guess). John Christopher, especially The Death of Grass. Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

Also, re: The Last of Us, I also really recommend the first two Telltale Walking Dead games if you haven't played them. Forget everything else about that dumbass franchise, it's basically a really excellent post-apocalyptic story piggybacking on the brand name. More like interactive fiction than a video game, and the best example of it I've ever seen.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cool thread on qibla and how it's calculated with modern tech + tips on how to do it in space and I am suddenly starved for sci-fi including this. There's prayer in Kameron Hurley's Bel Dame trilogy but they're not in space.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1279893046692216832?s=19

I remember reading about that Malaysian astronaut ages ago! And the advice being basically, "look, if it's not possible to do, you don't have to worry about it." Similar to a Muslim engineer who went and worked on a site in far northern Norway, above the Arctic circle, and was in perpetual daylight during Ramadan. So he wrote to an imam in Mecca who said yeah, it's fine to just go by Mecca sunrise/sunset, God doesn't want you to starve to death.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

freebooter posted:

For post apocalyptic fiction, John Wyndham, especially his four classics: The Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes, The Chrysalids and The Midwich Cuckoos. (Last one is actually about an apocalypse averted, I guess). John Christopher, especially The Death of Grass. Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

Also, re: The Last of Us, I also really recommend the first two Telltale Walking Dead games if you haven't played them. Forget everything else about that dumbass franchise, it's basically a really excellent post-apocalyptic story piggybacking on the brand name. More like interactive fiction than a video game, and the best example of it I've ever seen.

I remember reading about that Malaysian astronaut ages ago! And the advice being basically, "look, if it's not possible to do, you don't have to worry about it." Similar to a Muslim engineer who went and worked on a site in far northern Norway, above the Arctic circle, and was in perpetual daylight during Ramadan. So he wrote to an imam in Mecca who said yeah, it's fine to just go by Mecca sunrise/sunset, God doesn't want you to starve to death.

Yeah somehow it's okay to throw gay people off of buildings, but if it would inconvenience you, don't stress it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah somehow it's okay to throw gay people off of buildings, but if it would inconvenience you, don't stress it.

Did this hot take come from r/atheism or r/the_donald?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Thank you Chris Kyle

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

freebooter posted:

Similar to a Muslim engineer who went and worked on a site in far northern Norway, above the Arctic circle, and was in perpetual daylight during Ramadan. So he wrote to an imam in Mecca who said yeah, it's fine to just go by Mecca sunrise/sunset, God doesn't want you to starve to death.

We have full-time Muslim communities living up in the Arctic these days and, yeah, no, they don't starve to death every year.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

The fact that someone is Muslim does not mean they throw people off buildings, come on. There are a billion Muslims on the planet, they're not an echo chamber.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Vol 03 update final.

Picking up from where I left off in SFL Vol 03 (57% completion i think), it was fullbore '50's/60's/70's juvenile print and multimedia entertainment nostalgia chat until RotLA came out, and even then it took Clash of the Titans (1981), Superman 2(1981) and Dragonslayer (1981) to derail juvenile entertainment nostalgia chat. Finally RODOF, the twice doxxed son of Dr Robert Forward, came forward (terrible pun but I'm keeping it) to end Vol 03 on a creepy note [Subject: Hymen Hijinx].

-Raiders of the Lost Ark chat was mainly angrily posting unfavorable reviews of RotLA, arguing whether Belloq ate a fly during the Bazooka-Indy standoff, seeing C3P0 & R2D2 in wall inscriptions of the buried city of Tanis, everyone saying that Indy shooting the swordsman got the highest audience reaction, and then trying to break down why in SMG/BotL style, followed by infinite seeming waves of punny RotLA sequel concept titles.

-Clash of Titan chat included 2 profiles of Ray Harryhausen, wooden acting, not sticking to Greek myths as understood/remembered, slams about Harryhausen's work, body doubles...all in all; the people who were the most vocal about Excalibur 1981 (mentioned in earlier Vol 03 recaps) were also the most vocal posters about Clash of Titans.

-Nothing big on Superman 2 chat other than long-exposed to public awareness behind-the-scenes drama involving Donner and Superman 1/2. Dragonslayer mostly got mentioned for the early CGI/first generation digital optical efforts in it, then...

-RODOF made a series of posts about [Subject: Hymen Hijinx]...........in Dragonslayer (1981). Everywhere you think those RODOF posts probably went re: [Subject: Hymen Hijinx], Yup, you are correct. Bonus correctness points go to people whom also predicted "I wasn't being serious in my earlier posts, I was only joking BUT....".

And that's that for SFL Vol 03. Still undecided about how detailed future SFL archive recaps will be. Even these highly summarized recaps take most of an hour to write up.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 6, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

quantumfoam posted:

And that's that for SFL Vol 03. Still undecided about how detailed future SFL archive recaps will be. Even these highly summarized recaps take most of an hour to write up.

They're fascinating to read, thank you for your time.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I've started reading the revelation space series.

Does the author ever expand on the story arch of the first book? I'm midway the second one but feel left out a bit after that sort-of-cliffhanger of the first one.

Reading the wiki synopsis it seems the whole series is only loosely connected?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mikojan posted:

I've started reading the revelation space series.

Does the author ever expand on the story arch of the first book? I'm midway the second one but feel left out a bit after that sort-of-cliffhanger of the first one.

Reading the wiki synopsis it seems the whole series is only loosely connected?

The second book is a direct sequel to the first one, eventually. They connect.

The third is...in theory a conclusion, it's pretty disappointing in a lot of ways.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

The second book is a direct sequel to the first one, eventually. They connect.

The third is...in theory a conclusion, it's pretty disappointing in a lot of ways.

I hated Absolution Gap. I’d strongly recommend ending with Redemption Ark and reading Chasm City.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quantumfoam posted:

-Clash of Titan chat included 2 profiles of Ray Harryhausen, wooden acting, not sticking to Greek myths as understood/remembered, slams about Harryhausen's work, body doubles...all in all; the people who were the most vocal about Excalibur 1981 (mentioned in earlier Vol 03 recaps) were also the most vocal posters about Clash of Titans.
Please tell me at least someone was angry about naming the loving Kraken. Such a weird decision.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The reviews on Goodreads for ARCs of The Tyrant Baru Cormorant seem really good. I enjoyed the second book a lot, especially the flashback sections, but people who didn't seem pleased with the new one, and it pays off a lot that's been built up. Looking forward to August.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Please tell me at least someone was angry about naming the loving Kraken. Such a weird decision.

This is something you can easily check for yourself. Links to the SF-LOVERS Digest are in the thread OP and also pinned in the off-site Book barn Discord server.

Currently am 21% into SFL Vol 04 and John Carpenter's The Thing just got teased for a mid 1982 release(stoked for SFL reactions), while Dino DeLaurentis Dune got mentioned as recently entering pre-production.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War #1) by Mark Lawrence - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3L1338/

Worlds of Exile and Illusion by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQIG9PL/

The Waking Fire (Draconis Memoria #1) by Anthony Ryan $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016JPTQ68/

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Thank you for your recommendations, guys. I wrote them down and I'll look into it! Some of them are pretty old (going back to the 50s) and I'm not sure if I'll be able to read them. I like practicing my English by reading in that language instead of findinf a translated copy but I found it's not as easy when it's older stuff. We'll see!

I also played The Walking Dead and I agree that the first 2 "seasons" are the best.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh hey, if you like sci-fi and video games, play the most recent Prey. It's a really good immersive sim with a fascinating sci-fi story.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Ccs posted:

The reviews on Goodreads for ARCs of The Tyrant Baru Cormorant seem really good. I enjoyed the second book a lot, especially the flashback sections, but people who didn't seem pleased with the new one, and it pays off a lot that's been built up. Looking forward to August.

I finished it about mid-June and agree that it's good payoff in Tyrant, along with some great twists that my broke brain didn't see. Also congrats to General Battuta on starred review in Publisher's Weekly he got a while back!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh hey, if you like sci-fi and video games, play the most recent Prey. It's a really good immersive sim with a fascinating sci-fi story.

My addiction to "collect" games finally pays off. I already purchased Prey some time ago, installed it and never played. It's one of my 50 currently installed games! I'll try to go through The Last of Us Part 2 in a New Game+ first as I wanted to fiddle more with the weapons and upgrades.

To stay more on the books side of things, just quickly looking all those titles you guys recommended, I feel like The Broken Earth trilogy is what seems to have grabbed my attention the most so I might look into those first.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hemish posted:

Thank you for your recommendations, guys. I wrote them down and I'll look into it! Some of them are pretty old (going back to the 50s) and I'm not sure if I'll be able to read them. I like practicing my English by reading in that language instead of findinf a translated copy but I found it's not as easy when it's older stuff. We'll see!

I also played The Walking Dead and I agree that the first 2 "seasons" are the best.

Wyndham and Christopher are from the '50s but don't let that stop you, they're very simply written and shouldn't be a problem for a non-native speaker. In fact I remember reading a piece about how Wyndham in particular has a more outdated 1920s/1930s view of British society than the 1950s and '60s that he was actually writing in, but I never even noticed that when I read him as a teenager - the books could have been written yesterday for all I knew, they were just immediately compelling apocalyptic sci-fi mysteries.

Having said that, if English is not your first language, don't read Riddley Walker. It's written in a deliberately broken, phonetic English designed to give the impression of a changed language two thousand years after the apocalypse, and is a difficult read even for native speakers. This is the first paragraph:

On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt ben none for a long time befor him nor I aint looking to see none agen. He dint make the groun shake nor nothing like that when he come on to my spear he wernt all that big plus he lookit poorly. He done the reqwyrt he ternt and stood and clattert his teef and made his rush and there we wer then. Him on 1 end of the spear kicking his life out and me on the other end watching him dy. I said, "Your tern now my tern later." The other spears gone in then and he wer dead and the steam coming up off him in the rain and we all yelt, "Offert!"

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

freebooter posted:

Wyndham and Christopher are from the '50s but don't let that stop you, they're very simply written and shouldn't be a problem for a non-native speaker. In fact I remember reading a piece about how Wyndham in particular has a more outdated 1920s/1930s view of British society than the 1950s and '60s that he was actually writing in, but I never even noticed that when I read him as a teenager - the books could have been written yesterday for all I knew, they were just immediately compelling apocalyptic sci-fi mysteries.

Having said that, if English is not your first language, don't read Riddley Walker. It's written in a deliberately broken, phonetic English designed to give the impression of a changed language two thousand years after the apocalypse, and is a difficult read even for native speakers. This is the first paragraph:

On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt ben none for a long time befor him nor I aint looking to see none agen. He dint make the groun shake nor nothing like that when he come on to my spear he wernt all that big plus he lookit poorly. He done the reqwyrt he ternt and stood and clattert his teef and made his rush and there we wer then. Him on 1 end of the spear kicking his life out and me on the other end watching him dy. I said, "Your tern now my tern later." The other spears gone in then and he wer dead and the steam coming up off him in the rain and we all yelt, "Offert!"

I can make it out but the effort/focus required don't really tempt me for a full novel like that!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hemish posted:

To stay more on the books side of things, just quickly looking all those titles you guys recommended, I feel like The Broken Earth trilogy is what seems to have grabbed my attention the most so I might look into those first.

Very good call imo!

Actually for sci-fi Murderbot by Martha Wells would also be a good pickup for just a fun good series (and short stories, so fairly easy to get through).

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Third cry pilot book just came out if anyone's interested.

(Bio mecha apocalypse meets generic kid goes to training academy stuff)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

branedotorg posted:

Third cry pilot book just came out if anyone's interested.

(Bio mecha apocalypse meets generic kid goes to training academy stuff)

Was the second any good? The premise of the first was fun, but it spent 80% of its time in boot camp, ignoring the interesting stuff in the world.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Is Artemis by Andy Weir any good?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brandon Sanderson is doing a kickstarter for a 10th anniversary signed, two-volume leatherbound edition of The Way of Kings. Some of the add ons are pretty interesting too. A copy of The Way of Kings Prime which is a alternate story/version of WoKs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition

If you haven't read the series, I think it's one of my favorite fantasy series and Sanderson's best.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I never got past Words of Radiance. I have a gap in work coming up so it would be a good chance to read Oathbringer but I've found my patience with the amount of jargon and the inelegance of his battle descriptions grate on me more than it used it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

D-Pad posted:

Brandon Sanderson is doing a kickstarter for a 10th anniversary signed, two-volume leatherbound edition of The Way of Kings. Some of the add ons are pretty interesting too. A copy of The Way of Kings Prime which is a alternate story/version of WoKs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition

If you haven't read the series, I think it's one of my favorite fantasy series and Sanderson's best.

This has been an insane KS. He met his goal is three minutes (likely less, it just took that long for the system to catch up) and blew through all the original stretch goals in like three hours. It's at $3.8 million right now. That's insane for a campaign where the vast majority of backers are spending a minimum of $200.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ben Nevis posted:

Is Artemis by Andy Weir any good?

It's not as good as the Martian, but I found it enjoyable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

This has been an insane KS. He met his goal is three minutes (likely less, it just took that long for the system to catch up) and blew through all the original stretch goals in like three hours. It's at $3.8 million right now. That's insane for a campaign where the vast majority of backers are spending a minimum of $200.

With 30 days still to go Sanderson already has to sign 12,000 books (24,000 if he signs both leather bound copies). It'd be easier to hire a team of people to learn his signature at this point