Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ooh thats evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

The specific thing that's throwing me here is imagining a "piston" trimcap vs the more usual rotor type, where you have a rod-shaped rotor entering or retracting from a tubular stator. If I'm visualizing things correctly: with a plate rotor sort, yeah, it's clear how the actual overlapping regions are going to be equal no matter what. With a piston design, though, the element with the smaller effective radius will always have a smaller plate area than the larger element, and that imbalance is maintained no matter the rotor position. I think. If so, how do you square it- find the average of the two plate areas?

The most accurate answer is that you have to start with basic equations and re-derive the capacitance for the coaxial arrangement instead of the parallel plate arrangement. What happens in practice, though, is that the gap between the piston and sleeve is made intentionally small compared to the radius of the piston or sleeve, meaning that the plate area is roughly the same and the geometry is "close enough" to the parallel plate arrangement that it can be modeled as such.

Compare:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capcyl.html

With:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/pplate.html

For situations where (b-a)/ln(b/a) is approximately b, these equations are equal. This happens when b and a are close in value and in these situations it doesn't matter which one you use since the difference in their surface areas is going to be much smaller than their surface areas. To provide a concrete example, say the radius of the piston's outer surface is 100mm and the radius of the inner surface of the sleeve is 101mm. 1/ln(101/100) is 100.5, which would be the "effective radius" for modeling as a parallel plate capacitor. This is very close to the average distance, but as the gap gets wider the approximation becomes less valid, 10/ln(110/100) is 104.92.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 4, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

ooh thats evil

Wouldn't work anymore I don't think, people obsessively document everything with phone pics now

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

shovelbum posted:

Wouldn't work anymore I don't think, people obsessively document everything with phone pics now

Which would, I imagine, be a perfectly valid solution. The point is not to trust yourself that "I'll remember how/why I did this."

Also, I definitely don't have much faith that those who had trouble would "obsessively document" anything. At least not before that assignment.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Stack Machine posted:

The most accurate answer is that you have to start with basic equations and re-derive the capacitance for the coaxial arrangement instead of the parallel plate arrangement. What happens in practice, though, is that the gap between the piston and sleeve is made intentionally small compared to the radius of the piston or sleeve, meaning that the plate area is roughly the same and the geometry is "close enough" to the parallel plate arrangement that it can be modeled as such.

Compare:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capcyl.html

With:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/pplate.html

For situations where b/ln(b/a) is approximately b-a, these equations are equal. This happens when b and a are close in value and in these situations it doesn't matter which one you use since the difference in their surface areas is going to be much smaller than their surface areas. To provide a concrete example, say the radius of the piston's outer surface is 100mm and the radius of the inner surface of the sleeve is 101mm. 100*ln(101/100) is 99.5, which would be the "effective radius" for modeling as a parallel plate capacitor. This is neither 100, 101, nor their average, but if you use either it is off by a little over 1 percent at most.

Neat, thanks. I’ve only ever run into the parallel plate model + formula so I didn’t realize other weirder capacitor geometries have their own derived equations to work from, but in retrospect it makes sense.

KnifeWrench posted:

I was specifically thinking of code comments as the analog, in fact.

I took a lab course on microcontrollers in college, and one of the assignments was literally that the professor took the solderless breadboards we'd been slowly adding features to all semester, and switched around some wires. Those who had laid things out haphazardly with a bunch of same-color wires in a too-long spaghetti mess had a way harder time figuring out what had changed.

oh man lol
not electronics, but: those Unambiguously Not-Nice Teachable Moments are either sadistic or incredibly valuable with no middle ground. i trained as a blacksmith under a bunch of old-hand smiths, and one of them set aside an entire week for one task: forge a hook with XYZ features, hooks being one of the first things you learn to make b/c they’re real simple. Now forge 4 more identical hooks. I should not be able to tell that they didn’t come off a pristine assembly line. Make as many hooks as is necessary, but the fewer the better.
I thought i was v clever to make up a few jigs for each part feature, but he disqualified any hook that would fit onto any tooling at your bench :qq: it WAS a valuable lesson in developing systems for working precisely and repeatably by hand without any tooling aids, but i’m still a little salty about it

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 4, 2020

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Neat, thanks. I’ve only ever run into the parallel plate model + formula so I didn’t realize other weirder capacitor geometries have their own derived equations to work from, but in retrospect it makes sense.

What you're really talking about in a capacitor is the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one plate to another as a function of the amount of charge difference that already exists between the two plates, and all of the models with simple equations make assumptions so this is easy. The cylindrical capacitor link I sent, for example, assumes the cylinder is of infinite length.

I had some errors in my algebra earlier so I corrected the earlier post just to avoid confusing anybody reading through the thread. You were right though; the average surface area is a very good approximation in the "piston" design.

The following plot is the effective radius with a 100mm piston and 1 to 100mm gap:

And this is the error from using the average radius approximation vs the effective radius. It's never bad; it's only 4% when the outer radius is double the inner radius:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Good to know. I half-built a trimcap using just two big spring-loaded plates as per the ancient 20s radio magazine design but it's awkwardly big to do anything with and the napkin math says it isn't going to perform particularly well, so I'm thinking of other approaches I can use that'll make for a more compact and useful trimcap while also being aesthetically-interesting or novel from a fabrication perspective.hence the cylinder-sleeve cap plate questions

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 5, 2020

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
So uh... these Dell DA-2 power supplies are pretty cool. ~$15 for a 12V 220W SMPS. The eGPU guys use them and they're widely available on eBay. Just figured I'd throw this out there cause that's a hell of a price on a quality beefy power supply for someone who needs it.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Got mine the other day and it runs my old Radeon HD 7970 (technically 250W TDP) just fine, although it probably can't be fully loaded because the connection to the laptop is only a v1.1 PCIe 1x lane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Closing the loop on the user-updating firmware thing. Sorted out. Here's the recipe, including build steps for Rust at the beginning (Which would be swapped out for your toolchain as required). No St-Link, custom work, or high-level skills required, and should work for most STM32 chips:

Preparing and flashing firmware recipe for STM32 using Rust

Board wiring considerations:
- USB P and M connections must be made between the USB port, and MCU's USB pins.
- Set up the boot0 pin with a button. It should default to pull down using a 510Ω resistor, with the button setting it to pull up using a 10kΩ resistor.

Tools to install
- Download and install dfu-util (and maybe zadig.exe, which helps the OS recognize the USB device?)
- cargo install cargo-binutils
- rustup component add llvm-tools-preview
- (Note: You can optionally install dfu-tool or ST's DfuSe_demo utility)

Build the binary
- Run cargo objcopy --release -- -O binary firmware.bin

Flash (To be run on the user's computer)
- Press and hold the boot0 button to pull the boot0 high while connecting the device to the computer via USB.
- (Use zadig.exe to set up USB driver?)

- Run .\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 0 -s 0x08000000 -D .\firmware.bin
(0483:df11 is the USB vendor ID (0483=ST) and product ID (df11="dfU") for the onboard bootloader, which doesn't change. -a0 means "program the flash memory,
not the option bytes")

(Note: Alternatively, you can use dfu-tool to convert the .bin file to a .dfu, which you use above in lieu of the .bin file, and ommit the -s command.)

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 6, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
That's a pretty big ask for a user. Can you at least try and put the command line stuff into batch files?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The only thing that needs to be run on the user's computer is .\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 0 -s 0x08000000 -D .\firmware.bin - the rest is for building the binary. (which is also a one-liner once you have the tools installed) Going to wrap that command / executable with something that downloads the firmware, and package it as a downloadable executable.

Don't need a ST-link dongle with this this approach - just the same USB port used for power. Tested on dev board, with some modifications to wire boot0 as described above.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 6, 2020

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Even wrapped in an executable I think you’re overestimating the average skill of users, especially aquarium people judging by the intersection of Reefcentral posts and Apex updating. What happens when they pull the USB cable before updating is done? This absolutely will happen and you’ll have to be able to recover from it.

I’m not sure how your bootloader is working but it looks like your command is writing a new binary directly over the execution area, which is generally “unsafe” due to the possibility of interrupted or otherwise corrupted transfers. It’s more foolproof to write to a scratch area and make your bootloader able to verify/checksum the uploaded data before writing to the executable region.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Process should be (Once I've written the program) Download executable for your OS. Run executable. It shows GUI. You click a button to find and download lastest firmware. You click another to flash. ~20s later, it's done.

I just tried yanking the cord a few times during the flash process and it still works. (But obv need more testing and a better understanding of what's happening, and what safeguards exists before proceeding with this aproach)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Memory is cheap. Just get double what you need and flip the address after you update.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Forseti posted:

So uh... these Dell DA-2 power supplies are pretty cool. ~$15 for a 12V 220W SMPS. The eGPU guys use them and they're widely available on eBay. Just figured I'd throw this out there cause that's a hell of a price on a quality beefy power supply for someone who needs it.
Those are pretty solid but I wouldn't put my R9 290x on it. However not having to deal with fans is a huge blessing and you're not gonna find anything more powerful or convenient that is passively cooled.

My favorite will forever be the HP DPS-800GB. 850W @ 110v, 1000W @ 240v and they're usually $35-50. Breakout boards are cheap and readily available.
If you want cheaper the HP 80+ are like $15 and are rated for 750W with 92% efficiency.

Both are fantastic if you can mitigate the noise or you're building a custom rackmount solution.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Forseti posted:

Memory is cheap. Just get double what you need and flip the address after you update.

This. The way I've seen it done:
1) Device has 2x flash so that an entire new firmware image can be sideloaded
2) Update mechanism pushes updated firmware into memory space reserved for update image
3) update mechanism validates that firmware image is complete and valid, then sets a pending update flag somewhere
4) power cycle
5) bootloader checks for pending update, sees it, and uses new firmware, marking previously used area as the new update area

This way if your image is corrupted or you pull power or one of a million other things happens, you just keep using the previous firmware and you haven't bricked a device.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
That's using the bootloader ROM in the STM32, it shouldn't be possible to brick it beyond recovery with that method.

Loads of other projects package DFU loaders as user updateable firmware, e.g. md380tools, and a ton of Rak Wireless stuff.
So there are plenty of scripts available to run that part automatically, and ST provides Windows GUI tools for doing the same thing.

I guess it might leave an incomplete firmware image if interrupted - seems like you could solve that on the PC side by doing a verify after flash and telling the user if it worked.

longview fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 6, 2020

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the details! Almost have the wrapping program done. Leaning towards a sep executable for each firmware version instead of a version manager. Ie you download program. Run program. It tells you to plug the device in while pressing the update button. It flashes and verifies. You delete program.

edit: Got it done. Compiles to a ~1mb standalone executable (with Win, Linux, Mac conditional compiling), which includes the firmware, flashing tools, and terminal-based UI which mainly exists to show success/error message.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 6, 2020

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Why am I having such a hard time finding 2.54mm perfboard with a complete copper clad? It's all pad-per-hole and variations on stripboard/etc. There are things that might be what I'm looking for on Digikey/Mouser but naturally it's hard to tell what I'm actually looking at because I'm not cool enough to know what's going on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably because entirely copper-clad perfboard would mean you were connecting every component to every other one in every possible way, unless you went and painstakingly cut out the traces with a knife or something.

(not saying it doesn't exist, idk, but it does seem like a pain in the rear end to use compared to stuff that only has plated holes or is laid out like a breadboard or whatever)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wasn’t there a video in this thread of a guy etching out different regions of a copper clad board to make things to hang components off of for prototyping?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah that's just Manhattan style, but no holes

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn’t there a video in this thread of a guy etching out different regions of a copper clad board to make things to hang components off of for prototyping?

I came here to post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq968AFgPhg, which I got from Hackaday today. This is absolutely ram-packed full of good info. The middle third goes through so many good things so fast it's worth watching over and over until they stick.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, he also used solid clad perfboard as a ground plane and to ground together separate boards.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Free 130nm chip fab service for your open source design
https://fossi-foundation.org/2020/06/30/skywater-pdk
https://github.com/google/skywater-pdk

quote:

Today, in a FOSSi Dial-Up talk, Tim Ansell of Google announced SkyWater PDK, the first manufacturable, open source process design kit. What differentiates this PDK from previous attempts is the fact that it is manufacturable: with this PDK, you can actually produce chips with the SkyWater foundry in the 130nm node.

That leaves you as chip designer only with one road block: money. Manufacturing chips is expensive – even for more than a decade old nodes like the 130nm node, you need to spend at least a couple thousand dollars.

You know what? Don’t worry – Google and efabless have got you covered! They are providing completely free of cost chip manufacturing runs: one in November this year, and multiple more in 2021. All open source chip designs qualify, no further strings attached!

quote:

The SKY130 Process node technology stack consists of;

Support for internal 1.8V with 5.0V I/Os (operable at 2.5V)
1 level of local interconnect
5 levels of metal
Is inductor-capable
Has high sheet rho poly resistor
Optional MiM capacitors
Includes SONOS shrunken cell
Supports 10V regulated supply
HV extended-drain NMOS and PMOS

I'm going to make the 666 timer

taqueso fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 7, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

taqueso posted:

Free 130nm chip fab service for your open source design
https://fossi-foundation.org/2020/06/30/skywater-pdk
https://github.com/google/skywater-pdk
I'm going to make the 666 timer

Its funny to think that this both gets them very good will points among super dedicated electrical engineers AND is hilariously cheaper than recruiting if they were to ever use the list of people who actually make chips to recruit from.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

CarForumPoster posted:

Its funny to think that this both gets them very good will points among super dedicated electrical engineers AND is hilariously cheaper than recruiting if they were to ever use the list of people who actually make chips to recruit from.

Now Sam Zeloof is going to have people asking him why he doesn't just send his designs to this place to get made

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wow, that's a pretty big opportunity for hobbyists. I guess not that I have a deep understanding of digital integrated circuits or even have an understanding of the entire process of turning an idea for a digital chip into a working product, but I suspect there is a lot of other expensive stuff after the chip manufacturing.

Like, I wonder how the hobbyists are going to test and package their chips. Unless Google is paying for that as well. I didn't watch the Youtube Video link.

edit: What is the entire open source chip design software situation? I understand and realize that there are a lot of aspects to and niches in integrated circuit design and there are a lot of different kinds of design software which have different functions.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 7, 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Magic is one of the first open source software projects, from Berkley in the 70s. Not easy though

Edit: I also briefly looked at that PDK repo a few days ago, and it just looked like a collection of proven Verilog blocks, no?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It sounds really cool but it looks like each run is only 40 groups. So if more than 40 people sign up, they pick 40 chips to make. It would be cool if making simple ICs in a DIP package were affordable for hobbyists though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I feel like making ASICs is the exact opposite of what hobbyists need. It takes a huge amount of obscure knowledge to do correctly, there's no reasonable way that a hobbyist can test their work, if anything is hosed up once the chips are made there's no way to fix it, and the whole point of using an ASIC instead of an FPGA or something is that it reduces cost in massive production runs.

It's conceptually neat that they're doing this but I would be surprised if there are even 40 hobbyists worldwide who can successfully pull it off.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

Magic is one of the first open source software projects, from Berkley in the 70s. Not easy though

Edit: I also briefly looked at that PDK repo a few days ago, and it just looked like a collection of proven Verilog blocks, no?

I don't know. I really only have a vague understanding of the digital integrated circuit design process. That's just a mapping of certain canned digital circuit functions to circuit layouts, right?

Isn't that at least a good start? I have been told that most digital integrated circuit design is done by describing the function of your circuit in a hardware description language, and there is some software which maps the HDL to a bunch of canned digital circuits and circuit layouts ('standard cells') provided by the foundry service team (or maybe it is the EDA software vendor / other third party)? Then there is software which places the canned digital circuits in the overall circuit layout and maybe mostly automatically connects each canned circuit to each other. I have been told that 'full custom design' of the layout of digital integrated circuits is not often done even on certain sub-portions of the circuit, and most digital designs start at the 'standard cell' abstraction level.

Are there open source versions of all of these software functions?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 7, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

It's conceptually neat that they're doing this but I would be surprised if there are even 40 hobbyists worldwide who can successfully pull it off.

Yeah, I wonder if we’ll just see it being done by the crowdsupply Big Time DIY crew, or if people will develop libraries of configurable designs so people can mix and match the peripherals/memory/etc they want on-package and get exactly the thing they want for their kickstarter or whatever. Thinking of the sort of thing you get with the Allwinner ARM chips like F1C200 but like ordering a burrito I guess.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ante posted:

Huh, is that what the dude is running in this part of the AT&T UNIX video? I'd been wondering that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0&t=1283s

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think you still need some very much not free software package to compile the design?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

#1: Super cool

#2: I speculate this will have limited practical utility, outside of learning: The general purpose chips we have today are cheap and powerful enough to limit specialty chips to niche roles. Using a popular general-purpose MCU provides the benefit of documentation, guides, and support from a manufacturer that wants you to succeed at building products with their chip, and a potentially large community that understands its processes, has made examples, and can find bugs. You need a strong incentive to eschew these things for a specialty or custom chip.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dominoes posted:

You need a strong incentive to eschew these things for a specialty or custom chip.

And even if you need a specialty or custom chip, there have got to be close to zero situations where a hobbyist -- or even a manufacturer making less than several thousand copies of a product -- can't get away with an FPGA and truly needs custom silicon.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
You're thinking in terms of SoCs and I'd agree with your take in that regard. I'm guessing a modern FPGA can dunk all over a 130nm chip in the digital domain. However, the ability to make a bespoke analog IC opens up a whole new world of cool things. Like, I can't even imagine what people will cook up with this which I'm sure is what Google is getting out of this.

https://twitter.com/szeloof/status/1280249239495479297

Edit: And I think this is one of those moments where technology cycles back and an older technique becomes important again because of modern capability and advances on the other side of the coin. I think analog will start seeing some cool advances again because of the AI/sensor space, but right now it's cost prohibitive for people with ideas outside of the norm to experiment with.

Forseti fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Frankly, regardless of practicality, it is amazing this exists and is a step towards more open hardware.