Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Googling it, it looks like several major car companies - Nissan, Kia, Ford, and BMW have successfully sued people under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for hacking the computers inside of cars that they owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Is the turn signal part of of the optional equipment that BMWs are built with but nobody want to pay to use?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

withak posted:

Worst case scenario: they send someone around to confiscate your BMW-branded apparel and accessories.

Do you think that would include M2 branded avatars on internet comedy forums?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

crazypeltast52 posted:

Do you think that would include M2 branded avatars on internet comedy forums?

It would.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

therobit posted:

Is the turn signal part of of the optional equipment that BMWs are built with but nobody want to pay to use?

At least not in MA.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

No matter how pointless your job seems, always remember that somewhere out there is an engineer who had to design a turn signal for BMW.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A heated seat subscription sounds like a plot point in a satirical dystopian capitalist novel.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-subscription-model-for-features-2020-7

We're probably about a generation from car ownership being antiquated altogether, this will all be moot in that case.

It wasn't that long ago that people were complaining the world was ending when software vendors moved towards term licensing and now most applications are vendor hosted and no one bats an eye. In the end most people that don't have a sentimental attachment would rather pay for the amount and type of car as needed than making a semi-regular large purchase and maintaining something they don't use 98% of the time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's gonna be worse. Your bmw will one day offer to let you watch a 30 second ad to turn on your heated seats.

Then some day later they'll stop asking.

Then there will be premium lanes for the autodrive. Think carpool lane but pay to win, price scaled by demand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

honda whisperer posted:

Then there will be premium lanes for the autodrive. Think carpool lane but pay to win, price scaled by demand.

We legit have those in Minnesota, toll lanes that adjust price based on traffic. They adjust prices based on usage. Carpoolers get to use it for free (which is the point), and they're free during non-peak time.
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/mnpass/howmnpassworks.html

Putting in features that are enabled/disabled by software isn't that big of a deal. BMW would probably save money overall even shipping out the parts by simplifying the production and distribution, not to mention people would likely add-on during their first winter. It's weird buying something that you can't use, but segmenting like that happens all the time.

The subscription thing is super dumb, not at all surprising though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A heated seat subscription sounds like a plot point in a satirical dystopian capitalist novel.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-subscription-model-for-features-2020-7

Midjack posted:

BMW tried this with Apple CarPlay a few years ago and got burned at the stake for it. If they continue, this will go the way of John Deere tractors where the owners download hacked Ukrainian firmware to install repair parts and save having to pay the JD tech to come out and enroll the new part.

Was going to mention that. The disappointing thing is that they would definitely get traction on it if they were to offer ala cart features instead of several different versions of the same care. Only pay for the features you want!

I don't think car ownership is going anywhere for at least a generation if not longer, but we've been staring at the writing on the wall of companies using the DMCA to prevent self repair.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Just lmao if you don't jailbreak your car.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Braking With Microtransactions: You Would Download A Car

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SpelledBackwards posted:

It’s a shame we just got a new title, this is primo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The most dystopian novel part of BMW's new subscription model is that "safety" features like lane-keeping assistance, adaptive cruise control, parking assist camera, and the feature that automatically pulls you over if there are no hands on the wheel for a certain amount of time all require subscriptions.

"Sorry kids, Grandpa had a heart attack on the road. He might have made it, but unfortunately his emergency off-road feature didn't have an up to date credit card on file. So, he went headfirst into a semi."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

"Fun" fact, the boy in this famous viral photo is one of those children, Devonte Hart:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

While this particular conversation is taking place, please submit all title suggestions as if this was the Bad Money With thread

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Googling it, it looks like several major car companies - Nissan, Kia, Ford, and BMW have successfully sued people under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for hacking the computers inside of cars that they owned.

It's become a huge issue in farming and has low key been one for much longer in heavy machinery and the military. Caterpillar has been doing it forever, there's also a lot of equipment in the military qualified mechanics aren't allowed to work on. Overseas there's a lot of equipment they fixed because they needed it to work, and then it "fell" off a boat on the way back so techs wouldn't get in trouble for doing unliscenced repairs.

Tractors made in the 70s are getting more popular now, they don't have the gps navigation and programmable patterns for tilling fields but you don't have to hack them just to do an oil change. Luckily the tools and equipment I use have no reason to be computerized but I can imagine the day some idiot stuffs a processor into a bandsaw.

Right to repair stuff is already really scary to me, but until now your average person has been able to ignore it because tons of people don't fix their own things, and a good many don't fix anything and just buy to replace when something is out of date.

I'm curious to see if there's backlash as these more stringent and obvious restrictions on things you "own" create any backlash or if people just swallow it. We've already seen games and other media as a service but so far that has tended towards the intangibles.. What happens when that fully jumps the gap to something you can hold in your hands, take home, but really isn't "yours?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

threelemmings posted:

Tractors made in the 70s are getting more popular now, they don't have the gps navigation and programmable patterns for tilling fields but you don't have to hack them just to do an oil change. Luckily the tools and equipment I use have no reason to be computerized but I can imagine the day some idiot stuffs a processor into a bandsaw.

And those 70s tractors are getting GPSes and autosteer installed on them.

I think I brought this up before, but probably not in this thread. The right side joystick on my bobcat was going bad. I got the part. I installed the part. I did this with it on the trailer, because the part won't work until they "program" it. I took it to the dealer and paid over $300 for them to hook up a laptop and spend more time writing up the service order and bill than the actual "programming". It never even came off the trailer.

There is no plausible reason why a joystick would need to be programmed. It's unique on that machine (the left joystick is totally different), so even if it is on some sort of CAN bus, it would be the only thing with that vendor/model ID on the bus.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 8, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you still don't get the performance out of a 1970s tractor even with upfit kits. it's fine if you're a hobbyist farmer or small acreage but for big commercial farms the new stuff still makes sense even if it's locked down.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

:kimchi:

Going on a trip with the plan of gambling on the kindness of Cambodian villagers to get you home is Bad With Money, Bad With Morals, and Bad With Making it home.

I met one of these on a bike tour across most of North America. She was from Poland (and, fortunately, going the other way.) She was bizarrely proud of her mission to spend none of her own money.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you still don't get the performance out of a 1970s tractor even with upfit kits. it's fine if you're a hobbyist farmer or small acreage but for big commercial farms the new stuff still makes sense even if it's locked down.

While that is correct, it does come with the huge caveat 'while it works'

quote:

Stories like what happened to Nebraska farmer Kyle Schwarting, whose John Deere combine malfunctioned and couldn’t be fixed by Schwarting himself---because the equipment was designed with a software lock that only an authorized John Deere service technician could access. Schwarting could have taken the machine to an official John Deere shop, but that would mean paying thousands of dollars to load the tractor on a flatbed truck and haul it to the dealership, all while the window for harvest was closing.

quote:

Parked up in front of his house is a bright red 27-ton Case tractor which has tracks instead of wheels. It’s worth about $250,000, and there’s a problem with it: an in-cab alarm sounds at ten-minute intervals to alert him to a faulty hydraulic connector he never needs to use.

Because farm machinery is now so high-tech, the only way to silence the error message is by plugging in a special diagnostic tool – essentially a computer loaded with troubleshooting software that connects to a port inside the tractor – to identify and resolve the problem. Only manufacturers and authorized dealers are allowed that tool, and they charge hundreds of dollars in call-out fees to use it. For a fifth-generation farmer in an increasingly squeezed industry, whose family has spent decades fixing the equipment they paid for, it’s a tough pill to swallow. He’s coped with the intermittent alarm sound for almost a year.

“I can’t turn the alarm off. If I had the literature and capability to diagnose and fix it, it would already be done. I changed the mechanical switch and wire, but now I’m down to the programming,” he said Wednesday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not really sure that's true.

You can absolutely upfit a 70s tractor, including re-powering it. Sometimes you just need a big rear end heavy tractor to pull an air cart and seeding drill. In fact, just about ever farmer needs to do this for planting.......

These tractors aren't and never were a substitute for a combine, which is probably the kind of thing you're thinking about. New combines absolutely can't be reasonably replaced with their 70s counterparts. So there's still a harvesting problem.

Also, sprayers have gotten a TON better and it's probably worth running a fancy new one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah pulling dead stuff is workable with 70s tech but integration of any new implements is kind of a pain, and as you said a lot of implement tech has gotten way, way better

the reason that OEMs aren't opening this stuff up is nominally to prevent farmers, who love loving with poo poo, from hacking their tractors and then filing warranty claims when say the turbo grenades or whatever because someones been loving with it. of course there is a profit motive as well, but at least one of the big midwest right to repair guys is mostly in it because he wants to tune tractors, and i guarantee he's gonna be trying to file warranty when he fucks one up

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

I'm not really sure that's true.

You can absolutely upfit a 70s tractor, including re-powering it. Sometimes you just need a big rear end heavy tractor to pull an air cart and seeding drill. In fact, just about ever farmer needs to do this for planting.......

These tractors aren't and never were a substitute for a combine, which is probably the kind of thing you're thinking about. New combines absolutely can't be reasonably replaced with their 70s counterparts. So there's still a harvesting problem.

Also, sprayers have gotten a TON better and it's probably worth running a fancy new one.

Newer combines are so out of reach for a farmer that is working less than a few thousand acres that 1970s tech is preferable to spending a half million dollars on a new rig that is designed for larger acreage. Big corporate farms of course prefer all the new tech, but the old poo poo is always going to have a place with small operations.

Edit: I'm coming at this from a dryland wheat farming perspective because that's what my family does. I have no clue about corn farming in Iowa.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Beef/Wheat Machinery: I have no clue about corn farming in Iowa.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enjoy one I just picked from /r/relationship_advice:

My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it.

(self.relationship_advice)
submitted 12 hours ago by throwra_souptube

https://old.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/hn9nqd/my_25f_boyfriend_25m_keeps_asking_me_to_invest_in/

quote:

I have been living with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Two weeks ago he sat me down and presented a powerpoint presentation with his business idea. I knew he'd been working on an idea, but he didn't want to tell me about it until it was finished. Based on his enthusiasm and his prior seemingly intelligent nature, I thought maybe it'd be a pretty cool idea.

Instead he presented to me an idea about "soup tubes". The idea, if you can call it that, is to construct a series of tubes throughout our city that leads to centralized soup kitchens. For a monthly subscription, a customer can "subscribe to a tube of soup", and a tube extension would be built off the nearest mainline tube and directly into the customer apartment or home. Based on subscription level, that would determine the quantity of soup a customer could pour and how many types of soup. The "tubes" are basically the size of pipes, like you might see under a sink, but he insisted that "it MUST be called soup tube, not soup pipe, tube just zings better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. At first I asked if he was crank yanking me or something, but he was completely sincere. Obviously, the idea is completely insane. The notion that the city would authorize somebody to construct a series of tubes everywhere that carry soup into homes is of course ludicrous. And even if such an initiative were approved, the costs for such an operation would be ridiculous. You would have to charge outrageous prices for customers to install and "subscribe" to a soup tube, and who would pay for such a service when canned soup costs like a dollar or two? Or you can buy soup from a restaurant for a few dollars? I explained these things as politely as I could but he dismissed them and all said that "tube based soup delivery is the wave of the future."

He then asked me how much I wanted to invest, and I told him nothing, and he looked absolutely heartbroken. Since then, almost every day he has asked again for me to invest, and keeps trying to sell me on the idea. He is also doing the same thing to a lot of his friends.

It is starting to drive me up the wall. First, I am at a loss as to how he can believe such a stupid idea is worthwhile, second it is really god damned annoying to be asked on a daily basis to invest in a system of soup tubes, and third I am also concerned for his sanity. Other than his apparent obsession with this though he has shown no other signs.

I would like some advice as to how I can reason with him, or whether I should even continue this relationship.

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Beef/Wheat Machinery: I have no clue about corn farming in Iowa.

Farming is very BWM.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/hn9nqd/my_25f_boyfriend_25m_keeps_asking_me_to_invest_in/

Goddamn I wish it was possible to know which reddit OPs are creative writing or not. This one is great. Maybe I should enjoy it either way.

e: I'd be very surprised if it wasn't fake :shobon: reads too perfectly, it's quite well written, and OP has not replied. r/relationship_advice has gotten pretty popular and well-known in all the comedy corners of the internet, so it's not surprising that more fakes are getting posted.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 8, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Part of me wonders if this is bipolar disorder.

The other part of me wonders what my wife would say if I spent my WFH day coming up with a "Soup Tube" powerpoint to show her tonight.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A series of tubes? Maybe he should dump the soup on a big truck instead

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can't wait to call the plumber to snake out my soup tube when I upgrade my soup sub to chili

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

They better serve moonshine with that or else discontent will rise and hope will fall.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Motronic posted:

And those 70s tractors are getting GPSes and autosteer installed on them.

I think I brought this up before, but probably not in this thread. The right side joystick on my bobcat was going bad. I got the part. I installed the part. I did this with it on the trailer, because the part won't work until they "program" it. I took it to the dealer and paid over $300 for them to hook up a laptop and spend more time writing up the service order and bill than the actual "programming". It never even came off the trailer.

There is no plausible reason why a joystick would need to be programmed. It's unique on that machine (the left joystick is totally different), so even if it is on some sort of CAN bus, it would be the only thing with that vendor/model ID on the bus.

As an aside it's funny as given our posts I'm getting the impression we've had similar life experiences/career paths, just weird and funny to obliquely learn about people as we discuss peoples dumb money habits.

On topic: your issue is why in these articles the small shops are dealing with older equipment or jailbreaking, because as you noted you did all the work and the dealership charged you just to flip the switch. The companies make a big deal about how the systems could cascade and one alteration could throw the whole delicate system off, but clearly it often just comes down to a quick compatibility check and you're off to the races.

As you say in your example it's hard to imagine why a joystick should be integrated into the system that hard. If anything if it's got its own chip it should be capable of sending its own OK signal to the rest of your machine if they're concerned about someone making an aftermarket alteration instead of replacing a faulty part.

That's my main beef with a lot of right to repair stuff is when we're talking replacing broken mechanical parts or swapping out consumables. If you get an exhaust fault and swap out the filter causing it the machine should be able to recheck itself, see things are ok and get back to work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Bruh you left out the best part.

https://souptube.online/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

I read this as "soap tube" for some reason and i imagined regular soap bars in the shape of a cylinder.

original idea do not steal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

threelemmings posted:

As an aside it's funny as given our posts I'm getting the impression we've had similar life experiences/career paths, just weird and funny to obliquely learn about people as we discuss peoples dumb money habits.

On topic: your issue is why in these articles the small shops are dealing with older equipment or jailbreaking, because as you noted you did all the work and the dealership charged you just to flip the switch. The companies make a big deal about how the systems could cascade and one alteration could throw the whole delicate system off, but clearly it often just comes down to a quick compatibility check and you're off to the races.

As you say in your example it's hard to imagine why a joystick should be integrated into the system that hard. If anything if it's got its own chip it should be capable of sending its own OK signal to the rest of your machine if they're concerned about someone making an aftermarket alteration instead of replacing a faulty part.

That's my main beef with a lot of right to repair stuff is when we're talking replacing broken mechanical parts or swapping out consumables. If you get an exhaust fault and swap out the filter causing it the machine should be able to recheck itself, see things are ok and get back to work.

my VIN serialized tail lights would like a word with you

german engineering isn't a compliment

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

God a tail light on a car is like the definition of a consumable, are you talking the glass or the bulbs themselves? Either way that's insane.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's usually used to force others to comply.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

threelemmings posted:

God a tail light on a car is like the definition of a consumable, are you talking the glass or the bulbs themselves? Either way that's insane.

With newer cars and LED fixtures they are all one unit.

Theoretically they should "never" burn out, but we all know that isn't true. Also damage happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you all aren't driving 99 Honda Civics, just BWM all around.