Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You might remember me from 'ugh I think my hard disk is going to poo poo the bed' followed by posts about how stable and great SSDs are and how unlikely they are to poo poo the bed.

Well, my hard disk poo poo the bed.

Now I have to decide whether to just rebuild the machine with the new SSD I have and hope that's all that went wrong, buying another 2012 Mac Mini (which haven't dropped in price at all in nearly 4 years since I bought mine so less tempted this time), a refurb 2018/2020 model, or gulp take the loving jump to Windows and put something like a P2000 in and never really worry about getting everyone to direct play ever again.

Something to do at least. Current server setup is my 10 year old laptop sitting perched on top of my records with various cables trying to just keep a basic version of my library online so I can watch in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If your needs are met by what I am assuming was a 2012 mac mini(?) then a nVidia shield will cover you. Or various NAS options.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

That’s nothing compared to the living hell that is American Dad.

There's no way it's worse than Beavis and Butthead.

The final MTV season from the reboot is just permanently screwed. I have every episode of the show, yet season 8 is completely missing. The latest season shows up as season 9. There was never a season 8. I just have nothing for season 8.

Even worse is on that newest season each episode is actually two episodes. I'm not sure why Plex has such a hard time with this because that's how the show was aired and even how the latest DVD / Bluray release was. You have to go in and manually edit each episode. And then of course the thumbnails and descriptions are all screwed up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The final MTV season from the reboot is just permanently screwed. I have every episode of the show, yet season 8 is completely missing. The latest season shows up as season 9. There was never a season 8. I just have nothing for season 8.

Even worse is on that newest season each episode is actually two episodes. I'm not sure why Plex has such a hard time with this because that's how the show was aired and even how the latest DVD / Bluray release was. You have to go in and manually edit each episode. And then of course the thumbnails and descriptions are all screwed up.

I would bet that's almost entirely due to the TVDB being kinda bad. For example, there are like 3 extra episodes in the US version of Dragon Ball Z Kai. TVDB refuses to do anything about that, so plex doesn't.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

If your needs are met by what I am assuming was a 2012 mac mini(?) then a nVidia shield will cover you. Or various NAS options.

Needs to be a full computer, and the Mini could hit about 4 transcodes at once which I'm surprised it could handle but was also at the edge of it's capabilities. If I veer away from another Mini, it'll be because I want to have a bunch more headroom for that.

Beavis and Butthead is a common cold that's a bit of a pain, but once it's dealt with it's over and done with for the most part.
American Dad is COVID-19, it's a never ending disease of pain and death and it will absolutely not stop until you yearn for the day before it ever aired.

The main issue with B&B is like most cartoons that do a double episode in a block that TVDB recognises each individual episode while the scene/dvds etc will put them out as originally aired. So a correct listing for the first file of s9 should look like

code:
Beavis and Butt-Head - s09e01-02 - Werewolves of Highland + Crying
then the next would be e03-04. It's a common pain for these kinds of shows, but nothing on the level of fuckery that is American Dad.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

but nothing on the level of fuckery that is American Dad.

Preach. I once spent an evening building a playlist of all the Christmas episodes and still managed to gently caress it up somehow. Now we just hit the shuffle button and let destiny decide.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Beavis and Butthead is a common cold that's a bit of a pain, but once it's dealt with it's over and done with for the most part.
American Dad is COVID-19, it's a never ending disease of pain and death and it will absolutely not stop until you yearn for the day before it ever aired.

The main issue with B&B is like most cartoons that do a double episode in a block that TVDB recognises each individual episode while the scene/dvds etc will put them out as originally aired. So a correct listing for the first file of s9 should look like

code:
Beavis and Butt-Head - s09e01-02 - Werewolves of Highland + Crying
then the next would be e03-04. It's a common pain for these kinds of shows, but nothing on the level of fuckery that is American Dad.

Where the hell is season 8 though :psyduck:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lacking Season 8 bit sounds like that was how MTV decided to number things. I literally wouldn't be surprised if it was some intern who was tasked with looking at what it should be and hosed it up. Maybe internally they list the specials/movie etc as S8.

The double episode thing is all TVDB though, and the thread I found out about it went into the typical TVDB hissy fit about how dare anyone expect them to do things that would actually benefit the userbase. As ever, if you use Sonarr or other such tools it's good to check out the mappings on thexem as it'll run your filenames through that interpretter first, which can cause headaches. At least with B&B it looks like that's just a single season, the rest should line up fine. http://thexem.de/xem/show/96

e:

this bit made me laugh, from two staff members in the TVDB thread about B&B season 9:

quote:

We follow the official sites, not a bunch of "scene" idiots who seem to think having the ability to encode a TV show makes them an authority. So, this my non-cute response. It comes down to standards. We will follow the official site, even if it is stupid. It is up to the "scene" to follow the official sites and not do their usual pulling-numbers-out-of-their-asses bullshit they always do.

This site was not meant to be a warez database, it was designed to catalog television in the most accurate manor (sic) possible.

We stick with the one true naming scheme, designated by a channel who aired it!

Followed up by someone saying "But wait, you have E1+E2 covering just E1 from MTV, their E2 is what you have as E3+E4..."

quote:

Alright let me explain this one more time before locking this yet again.
We match the official site without exception BUT per our own site rules we split episodes which contain multiple stories.
I don't see why this is so confusing to you people. Further threads on this topic will be deleted.

Scratch that, we stick with the one true naming scheme, designated by a channel who aired it, except when it doesn't suit us! Do not argue with our stupid methods! It's frustrating they became the standard for scraping data, because their methodology is terrible. At least they allow different forks now, but I'm not sure if anything actually supports it yet.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 8, 2020

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
The plugin to use themoviedb as an agent exists for a reason

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

fluppet posted:

The plugin to use themoviedb as an agent exists for a reason

I've run into stuff tmdb doesn't have so I'm stuck. :sigh:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Hopefully this will all be fixed when Plex has their own metadata scanner and agent come out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm so sick of Plex skipping when my wife tries to play anything through Chromecast. It works fine everywhere else, but it was throwing fits last night and driving us crazy...

Just loving work already!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Nocheez posted:

I'm so sick of Plex skipping when my wife tries to play anything through Chromecast. It works fine everywhere else, but it was throwing fits last night and driving us crazy...

The regular chromecast has bitrate issues. Like it can't go above 12mb/s.

That said, I also got tired of chromecast issues and just got a shield tv. It's much nicer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Wacky Delly posted:

The regular chromecast has bitrate issues. Like it can't go above 12mb/s.

That said, I also got tired of chromecast issues and just got a shield tv. It's much nicer.

I have 3 or 4 Chromecasts in my house. I am not trying to push 12mb/s, this was poo poo like Archer and Bob's Burgers at no more than 720p. It didn't do it before, which is why it's so infuriating.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I feel like unless you are hardwired, chromecasts, even the Ultra, are definitely flaky with Plex. The one in our bedroom can easily stutter on something 720p unless I drag a cable across the hall to it. And that's within 15ft of a Unifi Access Point (although it is partially shielded by huge mirror on the other side of the wall). I have had zero problems with the one on our main TV, even pushing 4K to it, but it is hardwired.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROJO posted:

I feel like unless you are hardwired, chromecasts, even the Ultra, are definitely flaky with Plex. The one in our bedroom can easily stutter on something 720p unless I drag a cable across the hall to it. And that's within 15ft of a Unifi Access Point (although it is partially shielded by huge mirror on the other side of the wall). I have had zero problems with the one on our main TV, even pushing 4K to it, but it is hardwired.

So I have two ultras. One is wired, the other is wireless, 15 feet from a unifi.

The wireless one was a gigantic pain in my rear end for a while. To the point where they warrantied it, and it still did the same poo poo.

Then I moved it out from behind the tv where I had it hidden.

It was interference. From being too close to the back to the TV that i stuffed it behind. It's been 100% perfect for over a year now. But I have to actually look at it.

Your mileage may vary.

Edit: Dammit I was reading "Roku" when I read "ultra". Just put me on ignore already.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 10, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My 2 Fire TV sticks were absolute dogshit garbage for Plex. I replaced them with Apple TVs and it's unreal how much better they are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regular Firesticks aren’t worth it these days, 4Ks generally run fine and well worth the $25 sale price you can pick them up at. I keep meaning to buy a few to send to people just to get them off systems that force transcoding etc.

Apple TV in the lounge for me too, but makes a great lightweight bedroom stick for sure.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was okay with the old Amazon TV, the stick was horrible, but the recent 4k sticks ($25) have been perfect.

Original Nvidia shield still chugs along, but having the new style remote is a huuuge boon. Going to snag another to replace this LG remote because I keep launching the TV version of Netflix app vs hitting back, and it's annoying

I really hate Javi g Amazon and Android in the same house, because they are two opposite ends of the same thing. Amazon video does open like a champ on the stock though :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Roku Streaming Stick+ is also a good option. Supports DTS and ATMOS passthrough, is a little more lenient than the firestick with h265 content (higher profile support), and has a slightly higher peak bitrate.
Unless they've fixed it recently on the firestick, the Roku UI is also nicer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Chromecast Ultra is expensive but I have had 0 trouble with mine. I don't do a ton of 4k streaming though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

RichterIX posted:

The Chromecast Ultra is expensive but I have had 0 trouble with mine. I don't do a ton of 4k streaming though.

This is what pisses me off. I have an ultra on my TV in the living room and it handles 4k content wirelessly just fine. Plex fucks up only after the past year or two. It used to be rock solid :sigh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nocheez posted:

The solve for this is to adjust the bitrate. My LG Smart TV has a Plex app, but if anything is above 1080p @ 8mbps it stutters like crazy.

Check in the section where you can turn subtitles on and off while playing a movie, and just adjust the bitrate down, and it should solve.

Some apps in the general settings *on the chromecast Plex app* even have a "Convert Quality" setting that lets you automate this for everything you watch.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
re: remote chat - I have a Fire remote for my Shield 2017 and it works great. The only downside is the voice doesn't quite work but I rarely use voice commands anyway.

I'd consider getting the new remote if
a) it wasn't so expensive, and
b) I heard the back is round so it can't sit flat, which would annoy me

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

nexus6 posted:

re: remote chat - I have a Fire remote for my Shield 2017 and it works great. The only downside is the voice doesn't quite work but I rarely use voice commands anyway.

The new shield remote is triangular. It's pretty good, but all I really have to compare it to is my harmony remote.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nexus6 posted:

I used a Fire remote with my Shield for the longest time. But I hated that it seemed like they went through batteries fairly quick, and also the voice part not working really annoyed me.

The new Shield remote is better in every aspect. Backlit buttons, remote finder, excellent battery life, and working voice!

The remote finder feature has proven useful many times already. And if you have your Shield linked to Alexa, you can make Alexa activate the remote finder. "Alexa, ask shield to activate remote finder"

Battery life after several months of use is at 90%. I suspect the batteries will last 2-3 years at that rate.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Might have another look at price. I haven't really had battery issues with the fire remote but I use rechargeable AAAs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Kingnothing posted:

The solve for this is to adjust the bitrate. My LG Smart TV has a Plex app, but if anything is above 1080p @ 8mbps it stutters like crazy.

Check in the section where you can turn subtitles on and off while playing a movie, and just adjust the bitrate down, and it should solve.

Some apps in the general settings *on the chromecast Plex app* even have a "Convert Quality" setting that lets you automate this for everything you watch.

I appreciate your post. I'll check it out this weekend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Try xplay for LG TVs. 3rd party client that you have to pay for, but you get a trial. I had better success with it a few years ago when I didn’t have a 4K steaming box for my tv.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have the Plex app on my OLED LG TV, but we mainly use it in the bedroom on a Chromecast.

I have almost no issues steaming when I travel with hotel WiFi, I shouldn't have these problems in my in house with a very fast internet and good WiFi signal. Also, it is something that changed after an update. It used to be perfect.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Try xplay for LG TVs. 3rd party client that you have to pay for, but you get a trial. I had better success with it a few years ago when I didn’t have a 4K steaming box for my tv.

I have an older one (probably like 5 years at this point?) and I don’t think it has access to it. It just has access to the lovely LG App Store that no longer supports Hulu or amazon prime.

At this point I’m just waiting for a Apple TV refresh and I’ll pull the trigger on that. My server is also hooked up via HDMI to the same TV, so the app is only for less technical family members + when I’m too lazy to walk 5 feet to pick up my mouse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mines an ef9500 so about the same age and was always in the lg store for me. Worth checking, I haven’t needed it for years so I don’t know state of development these days.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

At this point I’m just waiting for a Apple TV refresh and I’ll pull the trigger on that.

What features does the current AppleTV lack for you?

I gotta say it’s perfect for Plex (and everything else) for me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The current AppleTV needs two things to be perfect:

1) A fix for the inability to playback 24fps issue.

2) Audio bitstream out capability.

Give me those two things and it is a perfect streaming box.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's the easiest way to deal with TV show extras?

For example, I have the King Turd Beavis and Butt-head collection, and there's a ton of stuff that doesn't show up as "season 0". I'd like to be able to just dump them all in a folder and look through each video individually. I don't care about tags or it showing up with metadata.

Also I ripped all 4 seasons of my Wildboyz DVD sets and there's a ton of extras. However, I can't figure out how to get them to show up in Plex. For season 1 extras I put them in D:\TV\Wildboyz\Season 01\Scenes but that didn't work. I also tried dumping them in D:\TV\Wildboyz\Scenes but that didn't work either.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is what I've been doing with movies but TV shows seem like a different beast according to Plex.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

What's the easiest way to deal with TV show extras?

For example, I have the King Turd Beavis and Butt-head collection, and there's a ton of stuff that doesn't show up as "season 0". I'd like to be able to just dump them all in a folder and look through each video individually. I don't care about tags or it showing up with metadata.

Also I ripped all 4 seasons of my Wildboyz DVD sets and there's a ton of extras. However, I can't figure out how to get them to show up in Plex. For season 1 extras I put them in D:\TV\Wildboyz\Season 01\Scenes but that didn't work. I also tried dumping them in D:\TV\Wildboyz\Scenes but that didn't work either.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is what I've been doing with movies but TV shows seem like a different beast according to Plex.

Long story short, extras are supposed to be treated as episodes in the Season 00 bucket

So that stuff all falls under Specials or Season 00, if they don't show up in this list https://thetvdb.com/series/wildboyz/seasons/official/0

then give them an episode number above that range, and name them accordingly

see: https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/#toc-3

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
A while back I set up my Synology NAS as a Plex server, but gave up getting it to work with remote clients because my NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN and Plex doesn't seem to like that.

Is there a way to get Plex working on my NAS, through a VPN, to remote clients? Am I missing something simple? This was a couple of years ago since I last tried it.

Edit: Or possibly force Plex to ignore the VPN and use the naked internet connection?

Edit2: I use NordVPN, which apparently doesn't support port forwarding?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 12, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Long story short, extras are supposed to be treated as episodes in the Season 00 bucket

So that stuff all falls under Specials or Season 00, if they don't show up in this list https://thetvdb.com/series/wildboyz/seasons/official/0

then give them an episode number above that range, and name them accordingly

see: https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/#toc-3

Thanks! If I really don't care about tags is there really no way to just dump them in a specific folder and have them all show up with the original filenames? Like how Scenes works with movies?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

The current AppleTV needs two things to be perfect:

1) A fix for the inability to playback 24fps issue.

2) Audio bitstream out capability.

Give me those two things and it is a perfect streaming box.

I’m guessing the first is relating to a few streaming services deciding to output a pure 24fps signal and not the standard 23.967fps everyone else does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
you could make NFO files for them which would load the info into Plex