Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can get a castle for 4 800 000€. The downside is it's in Finland.

https://vimeo.com/108094925

(I think the last time it sold for 11 million or something?

How is being in Finland a downside?

Admittedly a little cold, by the summer is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

crazy bricks getting 3D now
ah, the climbable texture school of design

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wooger posted:

If you can tolerate the mosquitoes, sure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wooger posted:

It's very small and the upkeep is very expensive (like six figgies a year).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wooger posted:

Everyone knows the real castle deals are in Estonia.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Motronic posted:

Everyone knows the real castle deals are in Estonia.

I believe you mean the Poconos:
https://www.trulia.com/p/pa/lehighton/30-lakeside-dr-30-lehighton-pa-18235--2357462806

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yay buy someone else's money pit that they couldn't afford to finish.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are plenty of really cheap castles for sale in continental Europe.

The caveat is they're almost all historical sites, which means you have an obligation to maintain their original looks and some times other contractual clauses such as having it open to the public, can't use it as personal residence, having no right to the surrounding land, etc.

Most of them have decades of deferred maintenance and all of them cost a fortune in upkeep.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Why buy a castle when you can build one? (Using 13th century tools and techniques.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Decades of deferred maintenance?

What do I look like? An American?

Find me one with centuries of deferred maintenance or I’m walking.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is that with or without a drive-thru?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, encountered some crappy construction myself today.

We live in a 1930s house, and have renovated most everything inside by now. Including replacing all plumbing, electric etc. Said to Mrs Bigsby that the old pipes in the ground outside the house will probably poo poo the bed at some point so just be prepared for that.

Well, they did.

Noticed water was backing up in the drains in the basement when emptying the tub. Not good.

Got a company out to run their magic hot water spraying hose to dislodge whatever. Hose got stuck around 20 meters into the yard somewhere. Took an hour to dislodge, at that point it was around midnight so we called it a night and they were to come back today to continue.

Brought some bigger guns. That poo poo got stuck too. Then they had to call another guy with some serious camera gear he snaked down there to investigate. They were loving around for quite some time, muttering "what the hell IS that...". Ran down a device to help pinpoint the location.

Finally knocks on my door. "I suppose you have geothermal heating?"

At that point I knew what was coming next.

Yup, when they drilled the holes (two) for the geothermal heat pump exchangers, they managed to drill right into the loving sewer pipe. Around 1/3 of the pipe is blocked by a neatly drilled hole and a big steel pipe. This was done in 2002 and nobody ever noticed until now when it happened to snag a few pieces of TP and poo poo and start building up a mess that ended up blocking the pipes.

So we flushed it, agreed that it was some weird poo poo, and based on the general condition of the stuff (1930s and 1960s) I decided we may as well replace it. Going to dig a 50 meter trench after the summer and run new pipes, for the water line as well.

Amazing the poo poo you find sometimes. I could write a loving novel with the stuff we've seen renovating two old houses and the massive fuckups from contractors we used (I do almost everything myself now because of this).

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Depressing cheap office interior aside, it does look like a lot of square footage for vancou-
uh, Carp, Ontario.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

We live in a 1930s house, and have renovated most everything inside by now. Including replacing all plumbing, electric etc. Said to Mrs Bigsby that the old pipes in the ground outside the house will probably poo poo the bed at some point so just be prepared for that.

Well, they did.

Noticed water was backing up in the drains in the basement when emptying the tub. Not good.

Got a company out to run their magic hot water spraying hose to dislodge whatever. Hose got stuck around 20 meters into the yard somewhere. Took an hour to dislodge, at that point it was around midnight so we called it a night and they were to come back today to continue.

Brought some bigger guns. That poo poo got stuck too. Then they had to call another guy with some serious camera gear he snaked down there to investigate. They were loving around for quite some time, muttering "what the hell IS that...". Ran down a device to help pinpoint the location.

Finally knocks on my door. "I suppose you have geothermal heating?"

At that point I knew what was coming next.

Yup, when they drilled the holes (two) for the geothermal heat pump exchangers, they managed to drill right into the loving sewer pipe. Around 1/3 of the pipe is blocked by a neatly drilled hole and a big steel pipe. This was done in 2002 and nobody ever noticed until now when it happened to snag a few pieces of TP and poo poo and start building up a mess that ended up blocking the pipes.

So we flushed it, agreed that it was some weird poo poo, and based on the general condition of the stuff (1930s and 1960s) I decided we may as well replace it. Going to dig a 50 meter trench after the summer and run new pipes, for the water line as well.

Amazing the poo poo you find sometimes. I could write a loving novel with the stuff we've seen renovating two old houses and the massive fuckups from contractors we used (I do almost everything myself now because of this).
Are your pipes clay? Even if they called before they dug, they probably would have missed clay pipes unless they camera'd and sonded.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Are your pipes clay? Even if they called before they dug, they probably would have missed clay pipes unless they camera'd and sonded.

A combination. The original pipes were clay and went into a septic tank + leech field. In the 1960s they removed the tank and just hooked concrete pipes into the clay stuff. Former owners had no clue about anything and hired the worst people so I am not entirely surprised about this. The section they hit was concrete.

The original clay stuff under the house had shifted over time to the point where you could dump 50 liters of water in one end and get a bare trickle coming out the other end. And the downspouts were going into this as well. Amazing the house didn't float awat at some point.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I've been house shopping, and playing the 'why is this so cheap' game a lot. The winner so far was the beautiful Tudor revival going for $100,000 less than anything else in the neighborhood. City sewer pipe ran under the house.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

four million euro to live in finland is cheap once you realize you'll never have to pay for health care for you or your family

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

hold on. how are we just gonna breeze past those amazing pics of SA Inc and not dunk on it? we spend pages talking about boob lights and we finally get some real content

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

hold on. how are we just gonna breeze past those amazing pics of SA Inc and not dunk on it? we spend pages talking about boob lights and we finally get some real content

lol at the signs, did random goons come over to chill? Could you walk in and give lowtax :10bux: to unban you?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghostnuke posted:

The thing with most decor is someone thought it looked good and would be proud to have their business associates, friends and in-laws see it.

The SA offices were never that. It was a man cave to get away from the family. A place for lowtax, shmorky and whoever else was around to hang out and 'work'. Maybe a tax thing? If you have your couch, TV, videogames and so on in your basement that's just a rumpus room, but if it's your business office then it's a business expense and tax deductible.

There's just no angle of attack. It is what it wants to be. A goony goon room needs to be knee-deep in empty bottles and pizza boxes to get a rise out of anyone.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

The thing with most decor is someone thought it looked good and would be proud to have their business associates, friends and in-laws see it.

The SA offices were never that. It was a man cave to get away from the family. A place for lowtax, shmorky and whoever else was around to hang out and 'work'. Maybe a tax thing? If you have your couch, TV, videogames and so on in your basement that's just a rumpus room, but if it's your business office then it's a business expense and tax deductible.

There's just no angle of attack. It is what it wants to be. A goony goon room needs to be knee-deep in empty bottles and pizza boxes to get a rise out of anyone.

I can't fault a tax write-off hang out spot, but it's just so grim

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Piss Meridian posted:

I can't fault a tax write-off hang out spot, but it's just so grim

I was expecting predictable wacky internet themed decorations but they couldn't even manage that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

lol at the signs, did random goons come over to chill? Could you walk in and give lowtax :10bux: to unban you?

It was next to a gun store or something iirc and random customers kept wandering in when lowtax was trying to nap just to ask him "what kind of store is this"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Obviously they sell grenades, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

I've been house shopping, and playing the 'why is this so cheap' game a lot. The winner so far was the beautiful Tudor revival going for $100,000 less than anything else in the neighborhood. City sewer pipe ran under the house.

How did you learn that?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Obviously they sell grenades, right?

In that way that a grenade is akin to explosive diarrhea, sure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

How did you learn that?

You can get drainage and sewage surveys done that map all that stuff out. I don't think it's standard, but if you got a suspicion something's funky it's probably better to spend 1K to stop yourself from having to spend 20-50K down the line to fix stuff.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's actually quite common, although the foundation has to be specially designed to bridge the pipe. (Turns out bad bridging was the cause of the sewer pipe disater I mentioned a while back, must update that since I got a bunch of stuff wrong and the reality was worse in a bunch of ways.)

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

there wolf posted:

I'm not very smart crappy construction wise, why is that a problem? Surely sewer pipes run under a bunch a stuff anyways?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Large bore sewer pipes are mostly routed under streets so as to make access for maintenance actually possible

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
If the sewer pipe leaked or burst you would be looking at a major house renovation+havign the city people be around. Also it might put restrictions on weight that you can have in the house, would make the house more prone to settling etc i would think. Then theres the eww factor of knowing its there.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My realtor texted the selling agent who sent a survey map over. As other people have pointed out, it's bad because if/when the city needs to work on that part of the line they have the right to go busting up your house to get to it. Lines usually go down streets or at least around the edges of lots so as not to run under structures like that; the city doesn't want to go through a house to fix a sewer line any more than you want them to. You cannot get financing on that house as a result of that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

You can get drainage and sewage surveys done that map all that stuff out. I don't think it's standard, but if you got a suspicion something's funky it's probably better to spend 1K to stop yourself from having to spend 20-50K down the line to fix stuff.

On the topic of surveys, we just sent up a Phantom 4 drone here using DroneDeploy then fed all the images into their magic software. An hour later I had a detailed 3D map of the entire property to the point where I could draw a line somewhere and get an elevation map of it. loving incredible, and all accessible to mere mortals. DroneDeploy _is_ expensive as gently caress but you can get a fully working two week trial and that's enough to make a few runs and then export the resulting data in all sorts of format to gently caress with in other software (Blender, Sketchup...).

Just a fun thing to do if you have access to a (not fancy) drone. Blew my mind with how good the results were.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bonus points for the house being really narrow so the only path to the bedroom is via the open plan bathroom.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On the topic of surveys, we just sent up a Phantom 4 drone here using DroneDeploy then fed all the images into their magic software. An hour later I had a detailed 3D map of the entire property to the point where I could draw a line somewhere and get an elevation map of it. loving incredible, and all accessible to mere mortals. DroneDeploy _is_ expensive as gently caress but you can get a fully working two week trial and that's enough to make a few runs and then export the resulting data in all sorts of format to gently caress with in other software (Blender, Sketchup...).

Just a fun thing to do if you have access to a (not fancy) drone. Blew my mind with how good the results were.

Have you spot checked the output against conventional survey?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tater_salad posted:

Yay buy someone else's money pit that they couldn't afford to finish.

If I could afford to finish it out: would. I'm weird, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ArcMage posted:

That's exactly what I was going to post.

It's nice that you THINK you have actionable data, but I bet 15 minutes with a transit would show you a wildly different story.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

That's exactly what I was going to post.

It's nice that you THINK you have actionable data, but I bet 15 minutes with a transit would show you a wildly different story.

Listen the vans aren't THAT bad I mean yeah Ford built them with a lovely guibo and apparently the place the trailer module is mounted doesn't have drain holes prior to 2018 so it can collect water and short out the module, but they're better than a loving Sprinter that will cost you $house to repair I'll tell you that much for free.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Listen the vans aren't THAT bad I mean yeah Ford built them with a lovely guibo and apparently the place the trailer module is mounted doesn't have drain holes prior to 2018 so it can collect water and short out the module, but they're better than a loving Sprinter that will cost you $house to repair I'll tell you that much for free.

Nice save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ArcMage posted:

The guy who ran the drone buys .LAS maps for work and said it's certainly close enough for most purposes. I haven't gone out and measured down to the centimeter but having measured and flattened parts of the yard using self leveling laser gear I can tell that it's not off by much. We are using it to plan future landscaping including rough calculations of soil needed / produced from excavations so it'll work just fine.

If I can drag my rear end outside after dark sometime I can go spot check a few places with the laser just for fun.

Absolute elevation I have no idea about, but it's relative that matters for what I am doing.