Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I can confirm with my sources that Ghosts of Tsushima is not a Soulsborne game, but is instead a spiritual successor to this Sony classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I can confirm with my sources that Ghosts of Tsushima is not a Soulsborne game, but is instead a spiritual successor to this Sony classic:

Ugh, another Hudson's Adventure Island rip off. When will the industry move on from its obsession?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm also being overly defensive of the souls games and I'm super cool that people don't like them. Nothing is made for everyone. I just get defensive because I've weirdly been given some mean poo poo for liking them, pretty much that enjoying them is ableism because of how difficult they are and that the games have lovely accessibility options. (They do have awful accessibility and I wish they'd have better ones.) But I've also beaten all of them while being disabled, specifically with my hands and my motor control. So it's something I'm proud of.

But anyone can like anything, if you don't like the games you don't like that's cool and not liking something doesn't mean you're saying poo poo about me.

The new paper mario also looks really good and will probably be very easy and I'm going to love it. I hope, this new combat stuff looks a lot better than the past few tries.

We all got some knee-jerk gaming reaction, I still get irritatingly "let me throw my body upon you to receive these blows" about fuckin' Skyrim and Bethesda these days

Tsushima looks neat and if I were not white-noising my way through the pandemic by burying myself in MMOs I would be all over it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm also being overly defensive of the souls games and I'm super cool that people don't like them. Nothing is made for everyone. I just get defensive because I've weirdly been given some mean poo poo for liking them, pretty much that enjoying them is ableism because of how difficult they are and that the games have lovely accessibility options. (They do have awful accessibility and I wish they'd have better ones.) But I've also beaten all of them while being disabled, specifically with my hands and my motor control. So it's something I'm proud of.

But anyone can like anything, if you don't like the games you don't like that's cool and not liking something doesn't mean you're saying poo poo about me.

The new paper mario also looks really good and will probably be very easy and I'm going to love it. I hope, this new combat stuff looks a lot better than the past few tries.

Hello fellow Souls enjoyer. I just beat Dark Souls 2 and played 5 hours of Dark Souls 3 the other night. They give me a sense of accomplishment and happiness that I mastered their systems and combat more than really any other game, but I totally understand that they're not for everyone. Hell, they weren't really for me (had beaten 1 a few years ago) until someone sat down and very patiently explained a lot of subtle stuff to me that I never really internalized about the games before (the roll button is actually just an invincibility button and that there's a stat that just straight up increases your invincibility frames in Dark Souls 2, primarily) and it's lame and lovely and bad game design that I never really figured any of that stuff out by myself.

I do also think there's a lot of cool storytelling and worldbuilding and writing and design in the Souls games that's locked behind the gameplay for a lot of people. Anyone who is playing on a PC should download CheatEngine or otherwise figure out how to be invulnerable and just explore the path for the world. Especially for DS1, it's brilliantly well designed and legitimately clever in the layout.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hello fellow Souls enjoyer. I just beat Dark Souls 2 and played 5 hours of Dark Souls 3 the other night. They give me a sense of accomplishment and happiness that I mastered their systems and combat more than really any other game, but I totally understand that they're not for everyone. Hell, they weren't really for me (had beaten 1 a few years ago) until someone sat down and very patiently explained a lot of subtle stuff to me that I never really internalized about the games before (the roll button is actually just an invincibility button and that there's a stat that just straight up increases your invincibility frames in Dark Souls 2, primarily) and it's lame and lovely and bad game design that I never really figured any of that stuff out by myself.

Oh yeah, the lack of explaining things is good in some places but the games could do things like "explain really basic stuff". Like, the games are hurting themselves by keeping up that aura of impossibility around them because the big secret to them is that the difficulty is pretty variable. For example, if you understand how the roll works you can get a better roll with more iframes and your roll becomes easier to use and protects you from more things. Explaining that would make them so much more open. And there is a bunch of stuff like that which they just don't tell anyone about and want you to figure out. Which is cool but will obviously make a lot of people bounce off of the games.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh yeah, the lack of explaining things is good in some places but the games could do things like "explain really basic stuff". Like, the games are hurting themselves by keeping up that aura of impossibility around them because the big secret to them is that the difficulty is pretty variable. For example, if you understand how the roll works you can get a better roll with more iframes and your roll becomes easier to use and protects you from more things. Explaining that would make them so much more open. And there is a bunch of stuff like that which they just don't tell anyone about and want you to figure out. Which is cool but will obviously make a lot of people bounce off of the games.

I played through all of 1 and 2 with my parry timing completely wrong and only realized it when I was streaming and one of my friends was like "why are you just standing there waiting to get hit and not parrying?" when they asked me about why I only roll and never try to parry (because I thought I was just bad at it and not that I had a fundamental misunderstanding of the mechanic) and I showed them what me trying to parry looks like.

Turns out I had somehow misread or misinterpreted the parry timing and them just telling me to try a tiny bit earlier entirely fixed the thing. There's no way to learn that from the game and that's bad design in my opinion.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Parry was easily the thing that took me the longest to understand and figure out and pretty much for the same reason. It took me a very long time to understand "when" you parry and the way the game explained it did not help. Even just something like a training room would help out a ton.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Tsushima looks very much like Assassins Creed but Japan, to me

From what I’ve understood it’s basically ”Assassin’s Creed: Japan, but does Assassin’s Creed better than Assassin’s Creed. Also, they done did watched a lot of Kurosawa movies”

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

tomba 2 is so fun

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

parry doesnt matter at all in dark souls. ive played dark souls games for a decade and i never ever bother parrying, i just roll or physically avoid attacks and counter. parry sucks, block sucks.

i dont dream often but i had a weird dream/nightmare thing last night and it sucked. i was on a cruise ship and there were people i have sort of bad/complicated relationships on the ship. and little microaggressions happened constantly. also there was an art teacher and i was in school. on the ship. with those people. it was terrible. been very depressed lately. very bummed.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have a reoccurring dream once every few weeks where I'm spending time with an old middle school friend I had that I've long since drifted from. He always apologizes for leaving me for that other friend group, that he wishes we had stayed friends. And it's so weird because I don't especially have strong feelings about this in my waking life, like we're still warm acquaintances and we talk whenever we see eachother out in the world. But in my dreams it's a big deal. It's weird, I don't like it! I'll also sometimes have dreams where a big monkey is trying to kill me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I have a reoccurring dream once every few weeks where I'm spending time with an old middle school friend I had that I've long since drifted from. He always apologizes for leaving me for that other friend group, that he wishes we had stayed friends. And it's so weird because I don't especially have strong feelings about this in my waking life, like we're still warm acquaintances and we talk whenever we see eachother out in the world. But in my dreams it's a big deal. It's weird, I don't like it! I'll also sometimes have dreams where a big monkey is trying to kill me

I'm glad you haven't been killed by a big monkey irl, friend

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

please finally release this, cowards

https://twitter.com/20thcentury/status/1283793516368236549?s=20

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Verhoeven day today, watching his big three movies for the first time. Almost done with Robocop, then Total Recall and Starship Troopers

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm glad you haven't been killed by a big monkey irl, friend

:glomp:

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 16, 2020

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

showgirls is absolutely more iconic than total recall, imo

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the last picture show is 1 of the better movies ive seen. i saw it just now. do you guys think cybill shepherd would have been my g/f if i was alive around that time?

some stuff i watched yesterday
seven year itch very funny thing about a guy who hates his wife , getting so horny from marilyn monroe that he has hallucinations from blood loss for the 2 hour runtime

rain man this poo poo sucked a big one, maybe they didnt know what autism was in 1988. hoffman essentially plays a muppet and the academy did the raymond babbit voice while they cast their ballots. good cruise role though, he really should have been an rear end in a top hat in more movies.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i agree rainman sucks big. not a huge fan of cumtown but their bit on it is good. they use slurs a lot but in this instance its while pretending to be the characters in the movie, to accentuate what bad characters they are. sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5z_Y8sLhkw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cool that they promoted an IK that told me to get out when i spoke out about the creepy posting in the AEW threads.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

the last picture show is 1 of the better movies ive seen. i saw it just now. do you guys think cybill shepherd would have been my g/f if i was alive around that time?

seven year itch very funny thing about a guy who hates his wife , getting so horny from marilyn monroe that he has hallucinations from blood loss for the 2 hour runtime

rain man this poo poo sucked a big one, maybe they didnt know what autism was in 1988. hoffman essentially plays a muppet and the academy did the raymond babbit voice while they cast their ballots. good cruise role though, he really should have been an rear end in a top hat in more movies.

Yeah, Kim Peek, the man that Babbit is inspired from, probably wasn't even autistic. Like, it had its heart in the right place compared to some of the other Oscar bait but boy has it not aged well.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

Last Picture Show is real good I love it a lot, I don't think Cybill would be your girlfriend because she'd be too busy being mine. Watch Paper Moon too, that's just as good

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

showgirls is absolutely more iconic than total recall, imo

Look at that range of ratings, babey!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

like total recall is a good movie dont get me wrong. but showgirls is absolutely imo verhoven's best satire because it took literally 20 years before people were even at all willing to critically reanalyze it in an academic context (as opposed to me in 2010 forcing people to watch it in the U of T library projection room on gently caress Around Friday). like, people just looked at it and said "uncomfortable. bad" and it hosed with them so hard that no one bothered interrogating the WHY of that for so loving long. imagine something as blatant as starship troopers but no one at all got it, instead of some people getting it. it's wild.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The creepy posting in those threads IMO became worse in the months following that post to the point I'd been calling the behavior out myself last month repeatedly

"Worse" is obviously a matter of opinion though, the behavior was still there, I was naive and wrong believing it wasn't an issue at the time and not helping call it out. That's inexcusable. I'm sorry. I'm not saying that because I think I deserve forgiveness from you about it, I'm saying sorry because I'm sorry and I should have taken the time to apologize to you for that (I shouldn't have made that post in the first place, but I changed my opinions on the subject it was about earlier than today, so an apology should have come your way earlier than today too). I'll send a longer apology your way privately during my time off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao falling on my IK sword

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

CJ 2 is good, and a friend.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm still available to be idiot king

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

aye

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pretty sure this movie was never actually made and is some kind of trick.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

The creepy posting in those threads IMO became worse in the months following that post to the point I'd been calling the behavior out myself last month repeatedly

"Worse" is obviously a matter of opinion though, the behavior was still there, I was naive and wrong believing it wasn't an issue at the time and not helping call it out. That's inexcusable. I'm sorry. I'm not saying that because I think I deserve forgiveness from you about it, I'm saying sorry because I'm sorry and I should have taken the time to apologize to you for that (I shouldn't have made that post in the first place, but I changed my opinions on the subject it was about earlier than today, so an apology should have come your way earlier than today too). I'll send a longer apology your way privately during my time off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The thing that sticks with me on the horny posting is that the decision was made for the community with no actual community input. So everyone who didn't like it went to the mods, were told it was fine, and that was that. So when people posted about it to complain I thought they were being very aggressive and hostile about something the community had never really discussed or been told was a problem. Except we had, we just didn't know about it. So now you had a bunch of people who were mad that they were getting ignored and blown off and most of us didn't know that was happening.

And then when we dealt with it as a community people were reasonable, made good points, discussed what was going on, and seemed to come to an agreement that most people were happy with.

The lesson we apparently learned from this is that the community shouldn't be allowed to make decisions or have input on what goes on in running the sub.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/687446125457096704?s=21

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
they killed hornbread

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

please fact check before sharing misleading information

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pompeii-man-ruins/

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol I always appreciate your posts Bluedeanie

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Got this issue where I keep seeking out movies that I know I'll love, watching them, loving them, and rating them five stars on LB. All my followers must think I'm some sort of carnival rube who loves everything that comes his way! This isn't a real issue at all, I'm livin the good life rn movie wise. Just watched Long Goodbye, *chefs kiss*

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i watch random movies using the letterboxd random movie list. i have a pool of 10 random movies to choose from at any time. when i watch one, it is replaced with a new random movie. i've watched many good and interesting movies using this method. i also get a lot of basketball movies this way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Got this issue where I keep seeking out movies that I know I'll love, watching them, loving them, and rating them five stars on LB. All my followers must think I'm some sort of carnival rube who loves everything that comes his way! This isn't a real issue at all, I'm livin the good life rn movie wise. Just watched Long Goodbye, *chefs kiss*

I've had a surprisingly high amount of friends recently watch that, so I'm probably going to do the same this weekend

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1283990930488545281?s=19

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1283995705984548864?s=19

Shard fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 17, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Feel like Ghost of Tsushima is gonna be one of those games I get to play like 5 years from now when they finally release a PC version, and that makes me sad because goddamn it looks good.

yea ok posted:

good cruise role though, he really should have been an rear end in a top hat in more movies.

It really irritates me that Cruise is so obsessed with being the heroic leading man (and trying desperately to deny the reality that he is getting older) because almost every time he plays a bad guy or a huge rear end in a top hat he's really, really, really loving good at it.

The Color of Money, Interview with the Vampire, Magnolia, Collateral, hell even Tropic Thunder he's really loving good at playing complete dirtbags or miserable sons of bitches.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Ghost of Tsushima gameplay is pretty much Shadow of Mordor with maybe some cool combat stance stuff. You can’t climb every drat thing like in a lot of games like this which kiiiind of is a drag but I don’t mind. In that way it’s a lot more like HZD. So your character moves like HZD, fights like Mordor, and has power and skill because of class like Batman? There’s something more solid here to the basic mechanics like riding your horse or grabbing supplies that the AC games always make to feel more floaty. I like this.

I’ve played about three hours; got through the opening and the first two story missions. I made a haiku and am wearing my haiku’s headband. I like the presentation and the feel of everything. The setting is new and different for me as I haven’t done any of the ninja/samurai games that have come out since...the XBOX Ninja Gaiden? And that’s not really representative of much.

Also the narrative of the failson rich kid trying desperately to use his status and wealth to somehow help people in the midst of a terrible crisis really has its moment right now imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Trailers for a movie showing Alexamder Skaarsgaard in soldier camo fatigues and not being a sequel to Generation Kill is just aggravating.