Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Even after all this time, Arsene is still one of, if not the coolest Protagonist Personas in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

serefin99 posted:

Even after all this time, Arsene is still one of, if not the coolest Protagonist Personas in the series.
It´s such a drat shame that you pretty much discard him the moment you can fuse other Persona because his design really is dope as hell.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Sylphosaurus posted:

It´s such a drat shame that you pretty much discard him the moment you can fuse other Persona because his design really is dope as hell.

It is a good time to post this then

Also looking at it again, I feel the ingame cutscenes sometimes just look better than the animated ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 6: 4/11: Prison-To-School Pipeline

This update covers Parts 4 and 5 of the original LP.

Music: Will Power

Our boy is back, and he’s got a sweet upgrade in the form of a diacritic. We’ll put our enemies in the grave :haw:

(For the record, diacritics are likely the entire reason the font changed from the original release; this version of Persona 5 was designed to be playable with French, Italian, German, and Spanish subtitles out of the box, so it needed a font that supported diacritics. This is only interesting to me. Welcome back to the LP, folks)

If you so desire, I shall consider granting your the power to break through this crisis.

Hmph, very well…

You’ll learn the true strength of my men!

Kill them however you want. Run wild to your heart’s content!

Geez, okay. Arsène is a little intense.

And here’s the stylish-as-ever combat menu. Oh, to be back…

Pff. Wimps.

…Did I say “You’ll learn the true strength of my men”? Sorry, I meant “These are some pumpkins I fished out of the dumpster, we’ll see if you can handle them.” You! Order some level 11 guys! Some Eligors! Slap them all over the roof! I will *not* be embarrassed like this again!

Music: Triumph

And there’s the victory and level up screens. Virtually all this information is identical to what it was in the base game, I just included it for the sake of a reminder. Although, for some reason I took far less damage from these enemies. I think they might have just made them weaker for some reason, I don’t know.

Music: Tension

What…

Maaku chooses now to be shocked at his sick costume change.

What was that just now?

Aagh!

And… your clothes…

*shakes bars*

Anyways, let’s scram! You lead the way!

Why do you assume *I* know the way out?
I don’t, but I just want someone else to hide behind, and you seem to be able to defend yourself, sooo…

You think you can get away with doing this to me!?

C’mon, let’s get outta here!

Okay, yeah, cool, I hear you, but first let’s get that sweet, sweet background dialogue from Shadow Kamoshida!

Ah, the most dulcet of… text strings. It’s not voiced, you see.

Hey, we gotta ignore him and look for a way out!

Okay, okay, get off my rear end.

Dammit! Let’s try and find another way through!

Maaku can channel the spirit of Frogger with ease even out of Joker form.

On the other hand, there’s nowhere else we can try… Alright, let’s get to hoppin’.

Wait, why are we getting the tutorial now? We had to do some jumping like, two seconds ago. And that wasn’t even the first time, we had to do it in the flash-forward too! Whatever, I’m overthinking this.

C’mon, we’re supposed to be lookin’ for an exit right now.

You can pointlessly examine all the cages for… some reason. I have nothing else to say about this.

They’ll prolly call for backup if we try and take ‘em on. We should go some other way!

Dude, the hell IS this place?

Oh no! Those guards barely visible through the JPEG artifacting are on the move!

I ain’t playin’ along with this anymore! We gotta find a way outta this goddamn place!

Hey, let’s get the hell outta this place!

This ain’t the exit!? What the hell is this place!?

Is, uh… Is he okay…?

Wait… why’s there a volleyball in the cell?

Dammit! How the hell’re we supposed to get outta here!?

Look, the key’s right there!

“Strange Creature” is right. But hey, even Morgana got some new portraits, how nice.

I mean, you obviously look like an enemy too!

Let’s start this working relationship right!

They’re catchin’ up already!

Ha, look at Maaku checking his own phone there.

You want to know where the exit is? Let me out and I’ll take you there.

Leave it to me! I’ll show you a safe way out!

Not what I—whatever.

Even though you’re behind bars?

Now that I think about it, it is pretty loving weird that Morgana, the cognitive being created by Igor to save humanity, breaks into the Palace of the Wild Card, future Leader of the Phantom Thieves’ gym teacher of all loving places, and then immediately gets captured. Kind of a weak effort there, Igor.

This thing sounds like it’s all talk…
If you guys think you can get out on your own, then be my guest!
What do we do?

Are you seriously not messing with us!?
If you don’t hurry, they’ll catch you.
*looks at Maaku*
*nod*
F-Fine…

Now where’s the exit, you monster cat!?

A-All right, sheesh! Follow me, and stay quiet!

Music: Disquiet

Sakura-san said that Hamiru-kun left the house this morning. Should I contact the police?

Whatever you think is best for the student, Kawakamala Harris.

No, that’ll just be more of a hassle… *sigh* What did I do to deserve this?

Yes, priorities are definitely in order here.

What does it look like I’m doing? I’m lowering the bridge. You, Frizzy Hair. It seems like you pick up on things faster than our Blondie over here.

I do not know anyone here well enough for that to be a justified conclusion on any of our parts.

Try checking around the mouth of this statue, okay?

Hmph, amateur. Come on, let’s keep going!

Music: Keeper of Lust

Why are you talking like this?! They didn’t even say anything, why are you going to “shut them up?”

Anyway, there's our reintroduction to the cat. Ugh.

Looks like it's not about capturing us anymore... They're out for blood!

Line change: The old line was: "It means they're holding nothing back and they're serious to kill us!" Which, holy poo poo that's bad. Good change all around.

I’ll back you up, so fight like your life depends on it! Let’s go!

D’okay.

You cannot actually kill anything on your turn here because the game is about to tutorialize you about weaknesses. And that’s fine, really…

This is how you fight!

…but that doesn’t mean the loving cat has to be all smug about it! :argh:

Those cut-ins are still aces.

That’s the most basic of basics! Remember it well!

Not even sure why I’m including this stuff at this point, welp.

All right, that’s another tutorial down, eight million to go.

And Arsène learned Cleave! Nifty!

Y’mean that thing that comes outta you guys all dramatic-like?
Yes. You saw how Frizzy Hair here ripped off his mask when he summoned it, right? Well, everybody wears a mask deep within their heart. By removing that…

Huh? He turned back to normal…
Hm, it looks like you don’t have full control over your power yet. The transformation shouldn’t normally dissolve like that. After all—

As we know, this has no bearing on anything at all!

Rrgh, that’s enough! This crap doesn’t make any sense!
Can’t you just sit still and listen for once, Blondie!?

Actually, there’s no time for me to lecture you! You wanna escape this place in one piece, right? Let’s go! Oh, but before that—take these. Use them carefully, okay?

Oh, you shouldn’t have.

It’s easy to forget we didn’t even have access to the full menu until this point.

Dammit! I’m too flustered! I can’t remember anything right now!

Ryuji. It is clearly a P.E. uniform. It is clearly your school’s P.E. uniform. How can you not immediately identify it?

Come on, let’s go!

But… who are these guys?
Do you really think you have time to worry about other people right now!? Besides, they’re—

Cake.

You really don’t get it, do you? Hrgh… There’s no time to explain.

Come on, man. The concept of cognitive beings ain’t exactly intuitive (especially not the way this game presents them). Cut him some slack, or at least just say “they’re not real” or some poo poo, even if we’d just end up thinking you’re a solipsistic weirdo.

Look, I’m going. If you don’t want to follow, be my guest!
Dammit… Fine, I’m coming!

Music: Suspicion

Finally! We’re saved!

…It’s not openin’!

Don’t jump to conclusions! Over here!

Ugh, amateur… This is the most basic of basics.

*sarcastically* That’s right. Everything’s hopeless and black like my fur— Now why would I die here with you two!?

I thought you were a human? You don’t have fur. You have normal human skin, surely!

The ventilation shaft, you morons! You guys should be able to squeeze through it one at a time.
I see… Then we just gotta get that metallic mesh off!

Seriously, we’re finally gettin’ outta here!
You should wait on celebrating until you actually get out. Now, get going.
But… what about you?
There’s something that I still have to do. We’re going our separate ways.

Heh, you better be careful too. See ya.

Especially the frizzy-haired one, if my judgment’s right…

Did we make it?

I myself would probably be more concerned with the “real world” part of that statement, but whatever.

The hell’s goin’ on!?

Huh? No! We were tryin’ to get to school, and we ended up at this weird castle!
...What? Hand over your bag. You better not be doing any drugs.

I can’t afford to get in trouble, man. You’re on your own, sorry.

Oh… you seemed quite friendly with him though. Anyway, you should go to school.

We passed by Shujin on our way here. There was nothing out of the ordinary about it. If you spout any more nonsense, I’ll contact your school. Is that what you want?
*to Maaku* C’mon, say somethin’!

I have some bad news, Maaku.

Uh, that’s not what I meant…

*chuckle* Things are going as planned…

*sigh* …Better to leave it be for now.

One thing I absolutely did not miss: more pointless, cryptic nonsense from the motherfucking SIU Director.

Morning → Lunchtime

I’m sure we came the same way… What’s goin’ on here…?

We received a call from the police.
That drat cop snitched on us after all!

Probably the wrong thing to say in front of the school counselor, Ryuji.

It’s rare not to see you alone. Where were you roaming around until this time?

Ugggghhhhhhhh this dialogue

Uhh… a ca— a castle?
So you have no intention of giving an honest answer?

You seem so carefree, Sakamoto. Quite a difference from when you did morning practice for the track team.

Knowing what we know: what a prick, holy poo poo.

Shuddup! It’s your fault that—

…There’s not much leeway left for you, you know?
He’s the one that provoked me!
Do you really want to be expelled!? In any case, you’ll have to explain yourself! Follow me!
What!? This is bullshit!

What a *prick,* holy *poo poo.*

Well, if you say so… Still, you’re coming with me. It’s undeniable that you’re extremely late.
Fine…

New kid, I can’t be bothered to bring you in for some reason even though you’re guilty of the same thing, so… gently caress it. Not my problem.

It was more than a little creepy if I’m being perfectly honest.

…Well, I’ll overlook this just for today.

Is that supposed to be a joke? I’m not laughing.

Well, you see, that was probably merely because the joke was at your expense, so to speak. You see, one of the traditional elements of most types of comedy is the need for a targ—

Poor Kawakami, she gets paid by the student and us not showing up means another four hours of being a maid and questioning her life decisions.

Well, that was needlessly hostile. But I’m sure he’s a reasonable man, and that with time and effort, we can mend this relationship and move forward as people.

Oh, Maaku. If you only knew.

Music: Interrogation Room

A talking cat?

A talking cat!?! Ridiculous!?!?!!!!!!

Best line in the game, woooooooo!

I realize I’ve been harping a lot on the bad lines but holy poo poo, guys, I had forgotten about most of these.

The one who received a “calling card” from the Phantom Thieves was an Olympic medalist…

Oh, does it make you uncomfortable? The poo poo he did? Good!

Line change: This line was previously "It’s true that what he did were deplorable crimes from… indulging his desire. He confessed to it all." Understandable change, Sae's attempt to talk around things there was previously pretty awkward.

But there should’ve been no connection between the two of you since you had just transferred. Why did you target him?

Neither of these options really get across what actually needs to be communicated, the drugs loving with Maaku’s memory, and instead just make it seem like we’re jerking Sae around. I love it.

Geez, all right, Sae. I get it. So, it happened like this…

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 8, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TELL ME ABOUT THE loving CAT

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

Uhh… a ca— a castle?

One of the best line reads in the game. Ryuji isn't the most consistently-written character, but drat if Max Mittelman didn't do a good job. In fact the English voice direction is excellent across the board and the localization team deserves credit for it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pththya-lyi posted:

One of the best line reads in the game. Ryuji isn't the most consistently-written character, but drat if Max Mittelman didn't do a good job. In fact the English voice direction is excellent across the board and the localization team deserves credit for it.

From what I remember P4's translation work was superior but P5 just has excellent voice acting across the board. And yeah, Mittelman's probably my favorite too, though Akechi's VA has a few opportunities to go all out in Royal and it's glorious to behold. :allears:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Robbie Daymond is still my favourite, but Max Mittelman wins for sheer amount of lines that made me stop and say "drat, that was a great delivery."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
"Hmph, we will promptly shut them up!" is still one of the most awkward phrases and it feels like a 'we need to make this line as long as the lip flaps' that FFX was rife with.

Also yeah, the English VA is stellar all around but Max Mittleman is probably MVP for me.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

TELL ME ABOUT THE loving CAT
Sae has a new handbag the next time we see her. Morgana is never seen again.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've been wildly curious about how much this re-release could fix. There's three big points that bothered me about the original.

1. Literal translation resulting in an proliferation of stilted lines that no English speaker would ever say, constantly breaking immersion
2. Huge gulf between the intended themes of social justice and the actual execution. Ann... :(
3. Bloated campaign with some very uneven execution of characters and plot elements

Point 1 has seen some marked improvement but a lot of clunkers have survived the second pass. It's too early to say what's happened to 2 and 3. I've heard some aspects of them have been improved, but truly fixing 3 would require excising bad content and replacing it with better stuff. Removing a significant amount of content is a hard sell even if it's entirely justified, so I doubt it happened. They tied the game in knots shoehorning the old script's anime cutscenes into the new script, so why would they start discarding ill-fitting content now?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I will say that even in the original, the stilted lines are very much a byproduct of the early game and they almost completely go away after the first month or two. Aside from anime cutscenes where again you have the 'must match mouthflaps' problem, the majority of dialogue is actually pretty natural.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am a little late on this, but

Arist posted:

I was about to cut this shot, but I realized it’s the only shot I have with Rise in it and it automatically became mandatory.

Hardcore Risette Fan identified.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Coming fresh off P4 it definitely had a less awkward translation for the most part, but the VA work was... eh. On the other hand I don't really think there's any named character in P5 who I'd say has poor voice work, and most of them are actually really good. There are some really bad line reads from unnamed extras though: the Kaneshiro thug's "whothefuckareyou?!" when the gang runs into his club to rescue Makoto is freshest in my mind.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
And I think that guy was still the first person to say "gently caress" in a Persona game. (Seriously, Ryuji just keeps dancing around it with "effing.")

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are a couple instances when nameless gorbs pronounce Sakamoto or Takamaki the way you'd expect most people to pronounce it but by that point you've probably spent 40+ hours hearing it pronounced the 'wrong' way so it's suddenly jarring.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Snorb posted:

And I think that guy was still the first person to say "gently caress" in a Persona game. (Seriously, Ryuji just keeps dancing around it with "effing.")

It's really weird to me because like, the game already has an M rating and the game wasn't going to tip into AO territory because there's a character who swears a bunch. Maybe they just thought it'd be too crass to have Ryuji constantly dropping hard F-bombs?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
See, I swear that Ryuji actually DOES say gently caress a couple times, which throws the whole thing into question.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It does give those moments more weight.

Marbychu
Apr 16, 2018

Sydin posted:

It's really weird to me because like, the game already has an M rating and the game wasn't going to tip into AO territory because there's a character who swears a bunch. Maybe they just thought it'd be too crass to have Ryuji constantly dropping hard F-bombs?

See, Ryuji already swears a bunch. I personally have always seen "poo poo" and "gently caress" as around equal levels on the Swear Tier List (not that I care, I use at least one in almost every sentence I say because I'm just that much of an edgy sailor), and Ryuji's always talking about things being bullshit, so it's not like having him use the gently caress word would be that jarring. Well, that's my own personal opinion at least.

If memory serves, Ryuji "says" gently caress at times but never actually SAYS it. By which I mean, his VA doesn't. I think every time Ryuji says gently caress it's over IM or a scene that isn't voiced. I don't know anything about Max Mittelman (this thread was the first I'd heard the name) so I don't his other roles and what he's said there, but maybe he just doesn't like saying that word?

Speaking of VA's, and going back to the convo from earlier, I also would like to give props to Max. After dealing with the first target (I know the spoiler policy says we can talk about anything from vanilla P5 but I'm just gonna play it safe), one of the characters talks about how they didn't finish him off because they think "revenge is better served if [they] make him repent". Ryuji's reaction to that is "Holy poo poo..." which doesn't sound anything special but the way Max Mittelman delivers that line (and the line immediately after) has always stuck with me for some reason. I think he did a stellar job with Ryuji, and he'd be my favorite character in terms of voice acting if it weren't for a certain pancake lad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Marbychu posted:

If memory serves, Ryuji "says" gently caress at times but never actually SAYS it. By which I mean, his VA doesn't. I think every time Ryuji says gently caress it's over IM or a scene that isn't voiced.

It's this.

Anyway, I'm about to post the next update, and we're gonna try something... a little different (not that kind of different, by the way. A new kind of different). We'll see how it goes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 7: 4/11-4/12: Rapid Fire (New)

This update covers Parts 5 and 6 of the original LP.

We’re averaging two updates a month at our current pace. Let’s kick this machine into high gear.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Is he still called a criminal if he’s underage? I guess all that matters is that he’s dangerous. He was convicted of assault, right? A guy like that has to be really scary-looking.
The school should kick him out already. It sounds like a time bomb just waiting to go off.

Shujin just as welcoming as ever.

Enough listening to gossip, let’s actually head to Kawakami and go to class.

Why are you so late? Why are you *doing* this to me?

Not really, no. But I can try!

You know your phone has a map, right? I’m not buying that excuse at all. Also, good job on immediately imprinting like a particularly stupid baby onto the least popular kid in school. Well, except Starry-eyed Student. We’re not really sure what his deal is.
…What?
Never mind. We’re ending early today because we’d prefer fewer people die when the subway tracks explode again or whatever that story was, I’m too busy to follow current events. I’ll have you introduce yourself but you’ll only be present for the last period of the day.

Please don’t make your history of violent behavior my problem and go bringing it up. Just stick to the script.
Wait a minute, I stopped a ra—
Yes, exactly like that. None of that! Please, I need this job even if it pays less than my other job

Huh? The one in the rumors?

Yeah! I heard he did the Rock Bottom to a puppy!
I heard he invented a new kind of knife crime, known as “Knifecrime!”

Lunchtime → Afternoon

I would write my name on the chalkboard, but I shamefully do not know how.
Nobody look him in the eye, he’ll cut you! With Knifecrime!
This is Maaku Hamiru. No relation. He was sick today, so he only attended for this last period. You buy that, right?
Nice try, but we all know he was busy commiting petty larceny.
God, can’t someone cut me a break? Just sit over there.

No! He’ll steal my precious knowledge! Stop him! Someone help!

Oh, hello transfer student I have absolutely no knowledge of. Please ignore my grievous injuries. I fell down the stairs while thinking about how terrible I am at volleyball. Thankfully, every single other member of the team broke my fall, but tragically they were all hurt even worse than myself.

Gesundheit.
Are they loving?!? Is she leading him on while dating Mr. Kamoshida?!?!?!?
Please don’t gawk at the outcasts, students. Volleyball rally on Wednesday, because we have nothing better to do this early in the school year apparently than to watch you hurt yourselves. No really, we don’t. It energizes the teachers.

Afternoon → After School

Hm? What’s wrong?

*sigh* Are you sure you’re okay?

Because if you’re not, please go find someone. Not me though. This is my only chance to nap and I need it or I’ll start blacking out during third shift at the m—uhhhh, never mind. Anyway, somehow the students found out about your record… sucks for me, doesn’t it?
Not really, no.
You should probably just loving book it home, Sakura-san called and he’s *pissed*. Also, you should stay away from Sakamo—

Well, that was well-timed. Him. Stay away from this dude. He thinks that dye job looks cool, what other reason do you need? Also he got you in trouble with the police like an hour and a half ago, whatever.

Please, for the love of god, be good.

You know, I can’t really figure out why I did it either? I didn’t articulate it very well, did I? I think it was something to do with our reputation?
But wouldn’t Hamiru necessarily *worsen* Shujin’s reputation?
Yeah, I’m not sure how it’s supposed to work either. Just keep doing volleyball stuff, I guess, that’ll counteract it… probably.
Roger that. Wait, poo poo, I think he’s looking at us.
Just ignore him.

Time to go to the roof.

I-Is there something you want from me?

I know what you did.
What!?!
Just a joke. For real though, how go up?

But nobody’s allowed up there… I mean, uh… just go up those stairs and you’ll get there.

Hey, it’s Newspaper Club Member! We don’t have time for her thing right now, but it’s nice just to say an unappreciated hello!

Oh, I’m going to cram school to study. I’m a third-year already—I can’t waste time playing around.
I get you. I mean, Shujin Academy? More like Shu-jail… Academy. Ugh, sorry, that was lame…
No, you’ve got a point. We’re just prisoners in Shu-jail Academy until we can make it to college.

I mentioned it in the old LP but “Shujin” is a homophone for the Japanese word for “prisoner.” Stay subtle, Hashino. Anyway, I assume that’s what that joke was originally about.

Sure must be nice being on the volleyball team. You guys get to use the gym whenever you want.
We owe it all to Mr. Kamoshida. The alumni and our parents have high hopes for us too.

(Proper First-Year) What’s the point of waking up early if my train’s just going to get to the station late?
Gossiping First-Year) You mean accidents like that train engineer going crazy, right? I saw a photo of him online… His face was totally messed up. Plus I heard some kid’s parents were on that train and are in critical condition now…
D-Don’t be so gullible.

PRECIOUS CINAMMON ROLL SIGHTED

Oh, it’s no trouble. I’m not sure I’m up to the task though…
Don’t worry. You’re being a huge help. Oh, and I’ll make sure the roof is unlocked for you… I imagine it’s going to be a lot of work, but I’m sure you can handle it.
Alright, I’ll do my best! I’ll go take a look at them later.

Aww :3:

Ryuji time.

Sorry for callin’ you up here like this. I bet Kawakami already told you stuff like “don’t get involved with him,” huh?

*sigh* Figured as much. Then again, we’re in the same boat.

I hear you’re some kinda badass or somethin’? Criminal record? A violent punk who stabs cigarettes with a loaded gun… I might be confusing some rumors here. But hey, you saved my life, so maybe it’s a good thing. Speaking of which… that happened, right? Not some weird dream I had?

It could have been some shared psychosis. I’m hearing those are all the rage these days.

Yeah… There are dreams that you die in, after all…

Not really what I’m sayi—
Thanks for saving me, by the way. But also, that Kamoshida in there was messed up in a way that seems like a direct exaggeration of his attitude here! Weird! I wonder if we could ever get back there…
Why would you want to do tha—
Screw it! It was a dream! Let’s just forget it ever happened! That’s all I wanted to talk about though. I think we’re gonna get along just fine.

I’m Ryuji Sakamoto. I’ll come talk if I see you around. Don’t ignore me, all right? Seeya.

Seriously, please don’t ignore me, I’m so lonely.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I guess I’ll just head home for today…

Hopefully Sojiro doesn’t immediately disown me…

Moment of truth… even if we already know the outcome.

Well, look at the brass balls on this motherfucker! I’m honestly a little impressed that you, in your situation, had the temerity to skip four periods and waltz back in here like nothing happened.

Yeah, yeah… That’s what everyone says when they’re caught.

If you don’t get yourself in order you’re hosed, dude. You know what probation is, right?

You informed me just two days ago, after all.
Please, just be good.
Not actually the first time I’ve been told that today.
Hmm, I wonder why?

I’ll be over in a bit, just closed up. Needed to discuss something with my new part-timer.
Did you get that game I wanted?
Oh, don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of *games* in the future.
Why are you talking like that? Oh, are you trying to make it sound like you’re getting mad sex in front of the part-timer?
…No!

Must have been. Anything else would be some truly anime nonsense.

(Newscaster) Police are inspecting the scene of the accident and will launch a full-scale investigation. The trains schedule, which had been disrupted since the accident, is finally back to normal and…

It’s back to normal already!? That was absurdly fast!

It’s a news update about the derailment. It looks like things are settling down.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Wake up, Inmate! You shouldn’t sleep so much! It’s bad for your health!
Be grateful to our master for taking pity on a louse such as yourself.
I see you’ve awakened to your powers. As such, it is time for your rehabilitation to commence.

Still don’t know what that means!
Good, because you don’t need to!

You have a Persona, make it stronger, use the weird app on your phone to enter Palaces, so on and so forth, I gave them to you to train you as a thief.
Thief, what? I haven’t actually decided to do anything like that, why are you telling me this? Besides, my legal guardian will kick my rear end if I get in trouble again, I’m on thin loving ice righ—
I will answer all your questions at a later date probably. Make friends and I will give them the Metaverse Navigator as well, I guess, I’m still kind of working this Igor thing out. I’m somewhat busy subjugating the populace at the moment so just go out and make me proud!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Fate… and awakening…?

I’d really prefer not to think about train derailments *here*, dude.

You mean that one with the red ribbon? Uh, I guess so?
She’s so thin… It’s not fair, I’ve got my hair in a ponytail too…
Okay, and what’s that got to do with being thin?

Beats me, buddy.

My station’s coming up.

Why, who *ever* could this be? A new character? Perish the thought! I’m sure she won’t be terribly important in the slightest!

Are ya sure? Then…

OH, YOU SON OF A BITCH

(under her breath) Oh wow, what speed!

Ha, I like her already.

I mean—Excuse me, that seat was for this lady…

I WILL *KILL* YOU, DON’T THINK I WON’T YOU SUBHUMAN MONSTER!!! YOU LOOKED HER IN THE *EYE* YOU CRAVEN gently caress! DO YOU WANT TO loving *DIE*?

…Ahem, sorry.

It’s all right. I can understand his position as well.

Update: I no longer like her. She seems like kind of a doormat.

(to Old Woman) I’m sorry I couldn’t be any help.
It’s all right, dearie. Don’t you worry.
Please allow me to carry your luggage, at least.
Thank you! Ain’t it heavy, though?
Not at all! I train plenty.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

For what you did on the train—speaking up for that older woman.

It wasn’t “speaking up” so much as it was “an implied threat of violence,” though?

You’re a second-year at Shujin Academy, correct? I’m a first-year there myself.

Nah, I wear this school uniform because it breathes so well.

Thanking you totally slipped my mind back on the train, and I didn’t want to be rude to my senpai.

Well, that was an auspicious encounter. I give it two days max before she hears the rumors and starts avoiding us like everyone else.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Hmph… You all look like you’ve been spoiled growing up. Can’t wait to see who disappoints me the most this year.

Man, I don’t think the original game really let it sink in this early how much Ushimaru straight sucks.

A certain dictionary defines a year as “a period of 365 disappointments.” The book’s title is about as cynically satirical as the rest of it. It’s “The Devil’s Dictionary,” by Ambrose Bierce. Hey, new kid.

Tell me what the Devil’s Dictionary defined as the chief factor in the progress of the human race.

Hmmm… which of these is the most relevant to the game’s plot and/or themes in the present moment?

Correct. “Malefactors,” to be specific. You actually knew that, huh?

While I did end up knowing the answer, it’s a bit absurd that you expect this Japanese social studies class to know about semi-obscure early 20th century American satir—

Sure, villains can affect the course of history. But remember that this definition is a sardonic witticism, nothing more. Here in the real world, villains don’t push humanity forward. All they do is spread chaos and strife.

Oh boy, the return of social stats. The values have all been re-adjusted for Royal, so we can’t expect them to level up at the same points, unfortunately. This is actually wrong! The thresholds for Ranks 3 and 4 of Guts and Kindness have been altered (Kindness only slightly and Guts moreso, but still only marginally), but that's it. All of the rest of the values are the same.

We don’t have any room for criminals here. Not in school, and not in society. Am I clear?

*stares intently at Maaku with the piercing gaze of a hawk*

Morning → After School

The delinquent and the honor student, arriving at the same time? Uh-oh…

Great, now we’re involving Ribbon Girl in our bullshit. Goddammit.

Assault, blackmail, drugs… He’s done it all.

You’re working too hard. Why don’t we go back to… my place?
Sorry, I can’t talk to you right now because… I need to model and also I have appendicitis or something, whatever gets me out of this conversation faster.

Still weird how Ann being a model is just dropped in here unceremoniously.

Well, no matter. It must be lonely not being able to spend time with your best friend Suzui because I’m keeping her at practice. If only I had some reason not to do that… Oh, and stay away from the transfer student, I heard he did the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique to a kindly old grandma.
Uhhh… thanks for the warning.

Why won’t any of the attractive students let me have sex with them?!

Man… I wasn’t expectin’ such a brutal response. Anyways…

Yeah, so I decided that castle bullshit wasn’t actually a dream and I’m gonna go find it. You up for it?
Sounds stupid. I’m in.

Let’s try again!

Well, that didn’t work. I looked on my phone but couldn’t find anything like it. Didn’t you have some weird navigation app open though? Saying mysterious phrases out loud?

Yoink! Gonna just press this weird eyeball on your home screen because I have no sense of boundaries… Oh hey! Found the app! Let’s go into your history and find the castle…
Uh, please don’t actually go into my history. I got very lost on the way home my first day in town and ended up at five different maid cafés. Genius, Maaku, he’ll never suspect a thing.
Sending idiots into the Phantom Zone…

Music: Desire

Oh poo poo, we’re back!
Yep, this is the classic case of the dog catching the car.

Okay, let’s get our bearings. You’re in the fancy clothes again, there’s a cat—
Sup? Wait, I mean I’m not a—
—and everything is nonsense. Yep, this is the castle.
We’re inside Kamoshida’s heart. The school took the form of a castle, and he is its king.
...Nope, don’t get it.

That must be a captive slave Kamoshida is torturing.
poo poo…! We need to find whoever he’s doing that to!
Fine. But only if your friend comes.
Ugh. I just wanna get home in time for my soaps… Fine, but let’s make it quick.

And now it’s time to infiltrate.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves

Who said anything about phantom thievery?

Let’s just skip ahead a bit…

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

You! Rip off that guard’s mask!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! What the *gently caress*?! How did I do that!?

Music: Take Over (Listen to this)

We won’t be covering most of these minor battles, but in Royal, Take Over plays during fights where you successfully ambush. It’s a good track, but it’s no Last Surprise. Also, uh, maybe the track with the line “you’ll never see it comIIIIIIIIIING” should be the one that plays on ambush, no?

They were probably transferred. Come back idiot, there’s guards! Quickly, into this side room!

Music: Wicked Plan

The enemies won’t come into this safe room.
None of this makes any sense at all!
Well, Kamoshida thinks of the school as a castle, so—
Stop explaining it! At this point I’m happier not understanding! Kamoshida can bite me though, this place sucks even more than normal school.
Hey, why do I look like this?
Because you think it looks rad. That’s the *actual* reason.
Dope. Thanks, cat.
Not a cat! I’m a human! I lost my true form, maybe probably.

Did you bring that to *school?*
If I say yes will you yell at me?

I overheard the guards mention something about the training hall… let’s go further in.

Notice that it no longer mentions us being forced to leave at 100%. I guess it was so pointless and barely a threat in the first place they just got rid of it. Also worth noting: the security level starts at 40%, not 15% like in the base game. If you want that omnidirectional ambush at 0% you’re gonna have to work for it.

Music: Last Surprise

So, yeah, gun tutorial, same spiel. But…

This is one of the single best gameplay changes made to Royal. Did you catch it? All ammunition is restored after battle. This is huge. There’s actually a reason to use guns now. They compensate for it a little by removing your backup clips, but that’s trivial in comparison to the utility gained.

Actually, no need, let’s just move on.

Your mind makes it real!

But your enemies are expecting you to come at them with guns loaded, so your ammo’s replenished in every new fight.

Time to DUMP

Just like I thought, all our ammo had returned for that fight.
I wasn’t sure whether or not to bring it at first, but I’m sure glad I did.
We’re definitely lucky to have the additional firearm in our arsenal. I must say, well done—even if it was just dumb luck that it worked here.
Did you really have to put it like that?
Quit griping, Blondie. You’re still getting praised.

Settle down, you two.

I’m nauseous.

Gross.

Music: Desire

*clubbing slaves*

This sucks!
You can’t save us. Go away.
*This* sucks!
They’re not real, moron! They’re just Kamoshida’s perceptions of people!
Then I’ll get evidence and confront them in the real world! My phone camera’s not working here, so I’ll memorize their faces! Foolproof plan!

I know this is serious business and all but these are downright comical.

Well, this just seems impractical.
Let’s get out of here!
Done! Let’s mosey!

Music: Blood of Villain

We’re taking you down, shitbird!
Remember when I baited you into attacking me and then broke your leg and destroyed the track team for good measure? Good times.
Ngh…

Ow.

Ow.

Music: Blood of Villain

Remember *again* when I baited you into attacking me and then broke your leg and destroyed the track team for good measure? Just love telling that story!
rear end in a top hat!
Is it just me or is it legitimately insane that a coach could break a student’s *leg* in a physical altercation and there wouldn’t even be an investigatio—Ow, my back!
Shut up, you! Anyway, Sakamoto, how’s your old coach doing? Your team sucked by the way. Volleyball is the one true sport, and I am its master.
Hey, Ryuji, gently caress this dude up.
Yeah, okay.

One of the best line reads in the game. No foolin’.

Video: Ryuji's Awakening

Music: Awakening

Music: Will Power

Still have no idea if this line is good or bad, but I am obligated to include it either way.

And Ryuji (re)joins the party.

Now, due to the format of this update, I couldn’t include any of those tasty line changes. But do not fret, because I have catalogued them (“them” being “all the ones I noticed”) here!

Line Changes!!!

First up, when we go back to Leblanc on 4/11, Sojiro’s “It’s only your first day and you’re already showing up hours late?” has become “I hear you ditched half a day on your first day of school.” The Soj’ (I will henceforth be referring to Sojiro exclusively as “The Soj’,” no further questions) sounds way more pissed here. I kinda like it.

Later in that conversation, Sojiro’s “…No, I just hired a part-timer” when talking on the phone has become “…No, it’s a guy. I just hired a part-timer.” Fairly minor change, there.

When Kamoshida is talking with Ann, the line “You looking for a ride home? Things have been pretty dangerous lately with all those accidents” has become just “Things have been pretty dangerous lately with all those accidents.” Weird change in my view, it makes Kamoshida just kind of weird bringing up the accidents randomly, especially smiling doing it. It just comes across as a hilariously weird attempt at smalltalk rather than, you know, predatory behavior.

When Morgana gives the tutorial on ambushing, his line “It looks like we won’t be able to avoid conflict from this point onward” becomes “It looks like we’re going to have to start fighting our way forward.” Then, “Oh well. I’ll just teach you the basics of battle right now. You had better remember all of this” becomes “Oh boy. I’ll just teach you the basics of battle for now. You’d better not forget all of this. Then, “As a rule of thumb, try to ambush as many enemies as you can. Attack them from behind whenever possible” becomes “Always try to ambush enemies instead of rushing everywhere headlong. Attack from behind whenever you can.” Then, Ryuji’s line “So we wanna ambush ‘em and get the first strike… All right, I got it!” becomes “So we wanna get the jump on ‘em and make the first strike… Okay, got it!” None of these are important in any way.

This is the quality of this segment, folks… Debating whether to even bother continuing it…

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 13, 2023

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I always love to see good QoL changes get implemented in remakes/remasters. A full ammo restore after each battle is a welcomed sight. Does that mean Haru's "Gun expert" niche is reduced or does this change mean little towards affecting her usability in combat?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Personally speaking, I enjoyed today's update. Seems like it'll let you have a bit more fun writing them, plus you're still cataloging changes, so it's not like anything was lost.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Your summaries of dialogue and side snark are a delight to read after having played the game. Thanks for doing this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drakenel posted:

Your summaries of dialogue and side snark are a delight to read after having played the game. Thanks for doing this.

Agreed. I like it and you're doing fine Arist. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we appreciate how you're doing things.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I appreciate the new content and line changes being spelled out. You're doing great work!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ahh, finally the LP reveals its true colors and shows its narrative, character focused intentions!

I am all for it, it means that Haru might actually be able to be a character outside of Momentos. Wouldn't that be nice?

After playing The Wonderful 101 I started thinking about party members and came and started to feel like it'd make more sense for the loud boisterous characters like Ryuji to be later additions to the party and make the quieter ones earlier so they'd have more screentime and be a bit more memorable since you'd spend more time with them and they'd have a chance to get stuck in your mind like the former.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 23, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AradoBalanga posted:

I always love to see good QoL changes get implemented in remakes/remasters. A full ammo restore after each battle is a welcomed sight. Does that mean Haru's "Gun expert" niche is reduced or does this change mean little towards affecting her usability in combat?

Honestly speaking, you just kinda stop using guns after a while regardless, because for them to do meaningful damage you need to spend your precious yen on upgrading them (or using the Electric Chair). They're nice to just empty a clip into something when the character has nothing else better to do (oops! I brought Ann to an enemy that nulls Fire!), but that's about it.

If you keep on top of gun usage or are at endgame when you're swimming in yen, they're nice for a nice damage burst, but at that point everyone probably has some better options to use.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApplesandOranges posted:

are at endgame when you're swimming in yen,

That's a weird way to spell "as soon as you have access to Mementoes" but alright.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
While the new gun changes are incredible I am sad that we no longer get the incredible tutorial message from vanilla explaining them with "Gun attacks are effective against enemies weak to guns." :allears:

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

At the beginning Guns are good for dealing with smaller mobs you can't reliably kill with regular attacks without wasting SP on spells because a full clip will outdamage most early game spells.

Beyond the second palace guns are more useful to inflict status affects with than raw damage. I ended up using the first gun you get from Iwai with Joker until Okumura's palace because the high shock chance plus the new technical system was that overpowered.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Ailments from guns are hella good, especially if they're Shock or maybe Freeze.

The other ones maybe not but.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, the status on guns are actually really nice and probably better than trying to fish for it from Ryuji or Yusuke. A bunch of endgame enemies with no weaknesses also Null/Repel Gun though, so they're not 100% reliable until you max Tower.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AradoBalanga posted:

Does that mean Haru's "Gun expert" niche is reduced or does this change mean little towards affecting her usability in combat?

There still aren't a lot of outright Gun skills, so she's still fine.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Thank goodness for the unlimited ammo cheat! Shame about the steep damage drop-off, though.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Arist posted:

(Newscaster) Police are inspecting the scene of the accident and will launch a full-scale investigation. The trains schedule, which had been disrupted since the accident, is finally back to normal and…[/i]

We got an orphaned [/i] over here.

Malah
May 18, 2015

okay, new character, whatever, WHERE IS LALA

Arist posted:

There still aren't a lot of outright Gun skills, so she's still fine.
It helps how strong Haru's gun skills are.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Oh, I’m going to cram school to study. I’m a third-year already—I can’t waste time playing around.
I get you. I mean, Shujin Academy? More like Shu-jail… Academy. Ugh, sorry, that was lame…
No, you’ve got a point. We’re just prisoners in Shu-jail Academy until we can make it to college.

I mentioned it in the old LP but “Shujin” is a homophone for the Japanese word for “prisoner.” Stay subtle, Hashino. Anyway, I assume that’s what that joke was originally about.

Yeah, the original dialogue is virtually identical except listless student says 'it's inevitable that we'd become shujin, at Shujin...haha'

Translating it as a really bad attempt at a pun and then saying 'ha ha, that sucked' is kind of weak but I sympathise, especially on side dialogue most people won't even see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Excuse me game, why are you punishing me for ambushing enemies with your new music? :(