Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The guy who ran the drone buys .LAS maps for work and said it's certainly close enough for most purposes. I haven't gone out and measured down to the centimeter but having measured and flattened parts of the yard using self leveling laser gear I can tell that it's not off by much. We are using it to plan future landscaping including rough calculations of soil needed / produced from excavations so it'll work just fine.

If I can drag my rear end outside after dark sometime I can go spot check a few places with the laser just for fun.

Absolute elevation I have no idea about, but it's relative that matters for what I am doing.

I mean, if this stands up, and I'm not sure how it could in even most situations, it's a super powerful tool. I'm just having a very had time believing it.

I want to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I have no trouble believing that it meets accuracy for most or even all purposes, but I'm an instrumentation engineer and measurement variance interests me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I used DroneDeploy at my last gig, flying the stockpiles of various quarries we owned/did blasting service for. It was certainly accurate enough for RoM measurements of quantities of piles of rock and the more mundane things we used it for. And so much faster than the old laser profiling system that it paid for itself in the saved time. I could travel around and quantify a week's worth of quarries, with the data processed by the time I got back to the office, in the time it would take me to do two of them manually.

Where I'm at now we also use drone survey, but with actual GPS located control points and markers, and the data goes off to be hand processed and adjusted before it comes back, even then its used more for feeding into CAD for design and layout work than anything. Actual quantities of cut/fill and pay items are surveyed by certified dudes on the ground like anywhere else.

So, yes. For the average use case any of us might have for it in our backyard, I could certainly see it being accurate enough for every day use for landscaping or minor earthwork or what not. My half-rear end measurements of known features, like my truck or a fixed structure or known-quantity stockpiles for certain clients were always accurate enough that I was happy with them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean....piles of rocks in a quarry" sounds like the use case for this. I buy that.

Things that are more subtle like doing resi drainage.......not so much.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, just for funsies I went outside now with a long rear end level and a measuring stick. Figured the height difference (there's grass so hard to get an "exact" measurement) between the plateau and the lower level to 120cm.

Checked the elevation tool.

High point is 206.29 meter, low point 205.13. So 116cm difference there.

Considering it's a lawn and not entirely even I'd say that is pretty good for most purposes.

I also measured the length of some stuff on the property and it's basically spot on (the kids' trampoline measured 361cm across, it's 360). But elevation was what surprised me.

I think we used 116 images for this particular model. It was windy so got a little "wobble" in the house in some spots.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 17, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Well now I want my future lawn scanned by a drone. What does it cost to get this done?

\/\/\/Seems Friend With A Drone is the new Friend With A Boat \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 17, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well now I want my future lawn scanned by a drone. What does it cost to get this done?

DroneDeploy is expensive as hell but offer free trials so you can use that to process everything and play with, then export before it expires. We used a Phantom 4 drone which is a fairly affordable consumer one, shouldn't be hard to find someone who has access to something similar.

For flying and capture we used their free app (iOS but pretty sure they have it for Android as well).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My shelf installers either hate us or don't care.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I legitimately burst out laughing, so thanks for that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's amazing. At least the shelves are adjustable!

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Those shelves aren't equally spaced, and it's right in the middle of the switch. Someone obviously thought it was hilarious, and I agree with them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, definitely going with intentional on this one.

That is either "wonder how long it'll take them to notice? *snicker*" or a complete lack of fucks given, and I just want to believe the former.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A different kind of crappy construction tale.

https://twitter.com/bangordailynews/status/1284453110744707076

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Should be fun for the lawyers to deal with that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m inlining this so everyone sees it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Platystemon posted:

As someone with a lovely neighbor that makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside and I hope the sawyer had fun doing it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can't help but suspect that it takes two lovely neighbors to escalate whatever they're arguing about to the point of... THAT.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Seems to me like the sensible adult way of dealing with it would have been to take down the Gadsen flag and give the neighbour an easement (or whatever the proper term is) so they could use the land up to that obvious visible boundary, and the owner could maintain ownership.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The property-line dispute gained momentum in April when the Brawns put down a load of wood chips near the previously established boundary with 148 Grove St. in order for a tractor to travel the downhill grade to the back of their lot to clean up downed tree limbs.

Steve Ritter’s youngest son Blake soon planted a stake in the ground where the chips had been placed, Tracy Brawn said.

“He said, ‘This is our property, get your stuff off it,’ so we had to call a land surveyor,” she said.

The surveyor determined that the dividing line between the properties was in the center of the 148 Grove St. driveway — and right through the middle of the garage.

We’re only getting one side of the story here, but if that’s accurate, I am inclined to say “he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword”.

Harsh, but fair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

I'm the yellow crime scene tape.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atticus_1354 posted:

As someone with a lovely neighbor that makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside and I hope the sawyer had fun doing it.

As much fun as whitewashing a fence.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

We’re only getting one side of the story here, but if that’s accurate, I am inclined to say “he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword”.

Harsh, but fair.
lol guy wanted to be unneighborly and didn't know his own survey

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I thought this looked familiar - and indeed there was a similar case here a few years ago:
https://www.nrk.no/osloogviken/domt-for-a-kappe-naboens-uthus-i-to-1.14231571?index=0#album-1-11658700 (The last picture is just the main house on the property; it was not otherwise involved.)

That case made it to court, not surprisingly. The sawyer had to pay fairly large reparations for the damages, and had to offer the shed owners the relevant part of his property at a fair market price - he had apparently been completely unwilling to negotiate or even help establish facts beforehand, which I doubt helped his case.

(And I'm sure the Norwegians in the audience are thinking of a certain Øystein Sunde song.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/kierajanae__/status/1284244251803607041?s=21

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Slip hazard: solved

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When you really need literal wall to wall carpet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/sitnspinster/status/1284255910425055237

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can't go in the kitchen right now.
Why not?
It's defragmenting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That's ridiculous of course, but as far as the video goes the carpet looks perfectly clean?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

~Coxy posted:

That's ridiculous of course, but as far as the video goes the carpet looks perfectly clean?

That doesn't look like the kitchen of someone who has ever cooked, to me.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

~Coxy posted:

That's either new construction or a complete renovation. There's no sink installed in the island and nothing in the cabinets.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

~Coxy posted:

Not for long.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

do not anger the grinder

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
:aaa: That must have hurt so bad, even brazilian waxes are done with way less hairs at once. Please be careful and tie back all hairs when doing stuff with spinning tools.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That nearly looks saged I've never pulled off half my face worth of hair but it seems like it'd maybe more patchy

insta
Jan 28, 2009
it got tangled and then cut.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

insta posted:

it got tangled and then cut.

Are we still talking about GroverHaus?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005