Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've never questioned that pouring them in place is the overall best strategy, I want to be clear. It's just that it represents several challenges that doing them alone wouldn't. For one, I've already talked to concrete companies on a past project, and they can't get a truck down my driveway (and all this is in the backyard), so doing this all in one fell swoop means ripping up the entire lawn at once, building a lot of frames (which is a lot of lumber), renting a mixer, renting a truck to transport the mixer and however many bags of cement, etc. etc. It's entirely doable, just sort of not the direction I wanted to head right now, you know? I've got a three week old baby in the house so finding an hour or two to go do some work is one thing, but setting aside entire weekends is a whole other matter.

That's just one challenge. There's also the fact that the area I want to put this all down isn't completely level, so while pavers can be installed to accommodate for a slight slope in the lawn, pouring concrete is another matter. And since I want to leave a nice healthy grass border between everything, installing individual pavers is significantly less impact than pouring into a frame, since I need to remove enough lawn to fit the frame in. It's a smaller note, but I also like that pouring my own pavers would let me get a nice smooth surface (since I'd be pouring it upside down against melamine), while screening the top of a frame is going to give me a rougher texture, especially since I'm not going to be good at it.

I want to stress that I'm not arguing with you guys - far from it. Just outlining what I see are specific challenges to a big "frame and pour" project. If casting my own pavers is going to not work, I'd probably just end up buying the 16x16" stones from Lowe's and installing those instead.

I'm looking at three rough options:
1. Put together a plywood frame and coat it in polyurethane and concrete release spray. One at a time, dig out just enough space to fit the frame into the ground, 6" down, and layer/pour into that, finishing by pulling the plywood out and leaving concrete behind, filling the maybe 1" gap between the new concrete slab and lawn with the dirt I dug up. Do this one at a time, slowly filling the lawn.
2. Buy 16"x16" pavers from Lowe's, install a pair at a time in the same plot to achieve a similar effect as the picture I shared above. Tamp, gravel, and sand, maybe some construction adhesive? I'm not clear if the pavers would drift and misalign with each other if I did this.
3. Buy 16"x16" pavers, install them individually. I don't get cool big rectangles, but it's guaranteed to work and I can bite it off in small chunks as I go.

(Also I hadn't mentioned it, but I did buy a metal mesh fence material and put that into the single block I mixed so far. I couldn't fit the actual concrete reinforcement mesh into the car.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you want the smooth top surface why not make the frame next to the hole, fill/set, then flip it over into the hole and unmold smooth side up?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Around here there is a specific type of board you can get for pouring concrete. It's already coated in non-stick something, and reusable.

We poured our own driveway and it turned out lovely. Hiring a crew to do it all with proper equipment and experience would have been better and faster.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

My first attempt came out surprisingly decent, considering how much of a loose edge I ended up with between the melamine boards. I'm going to try tomorrow with a slightly wetter mix and a latex seal in the frame.

toplitzin posted:

If you want the smooth top surface why not make the frame next to the hole, fill/set, then flip it over into the hole and unmold smooth side up?
How's that different than my intent of just creating a mold?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
How many motorcycles can one person possibly own?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

How many motorcycles can one person possibly own?

:golfclap:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

HycoCam posted:

I get the attraction of doing them one at a time. But, yeah--my vote is frame them all. Maybe mix and pour a few by hand to make sure you know how to finish the concrete. Then call in a truck. Your going to need a level, solid base for the concrete--so even if they are only 3" thick--you'll want a gravel bed under each.

If you want to do them by hand--you'd better think of a way to move and place the slabs once you finish. Kind of a wagon with off road wheels and a casket mover combined... If you them one at a time--look at how concrete countertops are done. You'll be pro after a dozen slabs! :)

Eh, I think you can do it yourself, I mix my own concrete from cement and my own gravel and sand, and it's even easier if you mix it from ready made concrete bags, a whole lot more expensive though, so a truck might be economically viable in comparison. This is my own homemade concrete and I screeded the top because at something like 7 meters long it was too big to cast then flip. I used an acid etch to get a cooler surface.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Eh, I think you can do it yourself, I mix my own concrete from cement and my own gravel and sand, and it's even easier if you mix it from ready made concrete bags, a whole lot more expensive though, so a truck might be economically viable in comparison. This is my own homemade concrete and I screeded the top because at something like 7 meters long it was too big to cast then flip. I used an acid etch to get a cooler surface.

This looks great. Did you seal it with something?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I used some kind of water repellent product on it and that made the water bead on top, but otherwise no sealant because I wanted the natural grey look. It wore off after the first winter though so now it's unprotected but it still looks the same after 3 winters.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mr. Shadow's diy concrete is too good. It's really nice and smooth and I am jealous.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Anyone have any experience with three layer epoxy finishes?

There is a solid base coat that serves as a vapor seal. The middle layer of metallic epoxy/lava/coloring. Then a top clear, urethane layer. Anyone have any insight on sourcing or creating the coloring layer? And/or application techniques. The coolest floor pictures tend to be from professional jobs done by folks that have come up with their own techniques over the years.

Swirling the colorant layer with squeegees is the only method I've done and it gives a marble like finish. Since doing that floor I've seen people use leaf blowers and rubbing alcohol to make cool designs. The floor I linked, I think, uses the rubbing alcohol technique.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

All the concrete chat above is great.

But, I have a different question: do any of your clear the air vents scattered throughout your house on an annual basis (or ever)? How do you usually go about going that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

All the concrete chat above is great.

But, I have a different question: do any of your clear the air vents scattered throughout your house on an annual basis (or ever)? How do you usually go about going that?

The OUTSIDE of them? Sure, if they need it. If you're talking about actual duct cleaning that's not something a home gamer can do because it requires way too much equipment.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Motronic posted:

The OUTSIDE of them? Sure, if they need it. If you're talking about actual duct cleaning that's not something a home gamer can do because it requires way too much equipment.

yeah. I'm not talking about going for full duct cleaning -- but perhaps unscrewing the vent, cleaning the vent itself, and getting a few inches in?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

yeah. I'm not talking about going for full duct cleaning -- but perhaps unscrewing the vent, cleaning the vent itself, and getting a few inches in?

If that's necessary you're probably not changing your filters often enough and actually do need duct cleaning.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

well, we’re moving into a new place soon and I’m pondering unusual cleaning tasks

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are ducts standard sizes? Sounds like a fun home robotics project (until your untethered robot bursts into flames in the inaccessible reaches of your ducts and burns the house down :haw: )

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wedge a roomba in there.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I paid a few hundred to have the ducts cleaned in this house after I bought it. It helped my allergies a lot as the previous owners had cats and the ducts were filthy. Bonus discovery of fiberglass batt insulation in some of the cold air returns!!!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the skinny on wood burners?

I have an open fireplace which is currently not in use but will be, and the chimney has been swept & certified.

Ultimately I'd be OK sticking a log grate of some kind in there, but I'm wondering if a proper wood burner would be better, since I have a constant supply of scrap wood I need to get rid of.

I'd need to be able to leave it unattended, but also in the winter I'd like to have as open a fire as possible, so maybe one of the larger style with large doors?

I've only ever had the most basic coal fires in the past with simple grates and a separate mesh ember guard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have an open fireplace which is currently not in use but will be, and the chimney has been swept & certified.

Ultimately I'd be OK sticking a log grate of some kind in there, but I'm wondering if a proper wood burner would be better, since I have a constant supply of scrap wood I need to get rid of.

I'd need to be able to leave it unattended, but also in the winter I'd like to have as open a fire as possible, so maybe one of the larger style with large doors?

I've only ever had the most basic coal fires in the past with simple grates and a separate mesh ember guard.

If you want it to produce heat (effectively) an insert with doors and an electric fan is probably the way to do. Also safe to leave unattended.

If you just want that fireplace ambiance switch the fan off and leave the doors open.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

If you want it to produce heat (effectively) an insert with doors and an electric fan is probably the way to do. Also safe to leave unattended.

If you just want that fireplace ambiance switch the fan off and leave the doors open.

Ironically, heating the room is number 3 on the list of things I want out of the fireplace.

#1 is a nice ambience in the winter
#2 is getting rid of excess wood
#3 is heating the room (again in winter)

Edit: I have outdoor wood burners available but I don't like smoking out the neighbours, and sitting it on/near grass means I need to keep it in view.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 19, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

In that case throw a grate in there and put a screen on the front (either one of those standalone ones or the kind you mount to the face of the fireplace). Cheap and cheery, does what you want it to do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Getting rid of wood isn't the job of an inside fire as a lot of what you're working with might have glue or treatments in it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Getting rid of wood isn't the job of an inside fire as a lot of what you're working with might have glue or treatments in it.

Does that matter if it's all going up the chimney? How is it different to workshop wood burners?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

One should not burn construction debris in you are house

Outdoor ones don't have the potential to fill your enclosed living space with toxic offgassing

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Ok, plumbing time!

The diverter on our bathtub faucet broke a while ago. I managed to jam it into a position so we could use it for showers, but I have been meaning to replace it so it was fixed permanently. After some research and struggling (the thing was on there TIGHT) I managed to remove the faucet so I could see what I was working with underneath and could find a suitable replacement:

It looks like ~2" of 1/2" copper soldered to a threaded reducer with short length of 3/4" galvanized (?) pipe screwed onto it. Total length is like 4-3/4" I think.

WTF should I do here? Ideally I'd get a front-threaded 3/4" compatible faucet, but it seems like everything is looking for 1/2" pipe or is a 3/4" slip-on, but is expecting a much shorter pipe inside.

Should I desolder that reducer and just use the 1/2" stub-out? I've got a torch and have soldered a few hose bib replacements, so I'm capable, but I'm not really practiced at it, nor sure if that's really the best course of action.

Also, pulling it off I had a bunch of crumbly sealant (wax? Caulk? It looked like the remains of a disc) fall off from behind the flange. Should I replace that? I'd noticed water trickling into the basement underneath and "fixed" it with a bead of silicone caulk around the top half of the flange, but I'm wondering if it should really be sealed properly under the flange instead/as well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

One should not burn construction debris in you are house

Outdoor ones don't have the potential to fill your enclosed living space with toxic offgassing

I don't mean outdoor ones, I mean workshop ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't see what the problem would be to burn off-cuts of clean non-pressure treated dimensional lumber.

I mean, of course don't burn trash in your home fireplace. But off cuts?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

I don't see what the problem would be to burn off-cuts of clean non-pressure treated dimensional lumber.

I mean, of course don't burn trash in your home fireplace. But off cuts?

That's fine, it just excludes anything full of treatment or glue, so fine for real wood, just bin any MDF/ply/own etc.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Also don't burn anything which might have metal embedded in it -- galvanized hardware especially. Brass Shakes aren't fun.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

With all this excitement I'll have to take a break from huffing the flammables cabinet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We had a big rain storm and I discovered a fun new way that water is getting into my house: some moron poured a replacement patio directly up against the siding and there is no flashing there whatsoever. I actually did know this was a problem and even put in a couple calls to places yesterday hoping to get a couple quotes this upcoming week, but this is the first time I've gone into that little room and just saw buckets of water coming in.

I spent all weekend on exterior waterproofing-related tasks and was feeling so good too. :(

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
What's a good resource for sorting out electrical issues? Bought a house from the 70s and random outlets have stopped working and we have one in the bathroom that keeps triggering the breaker. The inspection mentioned a few outlets out but that was about a year ago and more have gone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do you live in a city? You might be in a smoke control area and I think that would restrict you to a stove anyway.

I installed a Jotul stove this winter and absolutely love it, I went for one with windows on the sides and you do get the effect of the open fire that way. In any case they are more efficient and produce less smoke so probably the right thing to do anyway.

My terrace is all finished. There was a bit of a delay getting the flagstones delivered but they're in now and look great. The miserable old bag neighbour is complaining that the workmen have ruined the shared dirt/stone path so a bit of work to do there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Do you live in a city? You might be in a smoke control area and I think that would restrict you to a stove anyway.

Fortunately I'm outside the smoke control areas. I checked on that before deciding to keep one of the chimneys functional.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Today I cast 1/4th of the foundation to my shed, man it's brutal work if you are a cheap skate and won't hire a concrete truck. More so with my back not being in the greatest order.

Then three rows of LECA blocks on top of this and the foundation is done.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Isn't it cheaper to hire a truck in that situation? I actually have no idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

Isn't it cheaper to hire a truck in that situation? I actually have no idea.

Depends on how far away from the mix plant you are. I've been in places where it was worth hauling/mixing bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What is the rule of thumb there? I have no idea, when I hired a company to do my swale I assumed they were going to mix on site only to be surprised by a truck rolling up in front of my house. All done for under a grand with a full day of labor for a bunch of guys. We live literally a few miles from a mix site (...I went to high school with the owners kid(s)) but the truck wasn't their brand so no clue where it actually came from or if they just get remnant loads on special or what. Finger in the wind it was 30-50 cuft: Garage is ~26' long, it's about a foot wide, it's probably a foot deep.