Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i have kinda a meta question that i think i need someone smarter to answer for me

is there a reason so many authors, particularly shonen authors, ultimately end up relying on the "prophecy" plot device to get things moving? like in one piece for example, it's been pretty muted, which i love. i kinda feel like its just an adventure luffy, some random backwoods boy, has been going on. but as the story continues, now we get fated parallels, ancient intrigue, and awhole host of other motivations that don't jive with that. i don't think oda has done it poorly, so it's not really a complaint, but if we look at other shonen it happens time and again (dragonball, naruto, bleach, etc) any reason why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Naruto's prophecy was I think worthless because it was so vague, DBZ I think it provided motivation for Frieza and made Goku going blonde less weird.

Knowing that something is going to happen but not knowing any of the details of how you're going to get there is interesting. Like knowing for certain that Luffy will destroy fishman island is intriguing but obviously missing a lot of context.

These are long long long-rear end stories and they'll use every trick in the book to build interest, shounen tropes and cliches are generally just glue to keep a story moving. What's interesting about One Piece is that beneath the glue there's a story about the World Government and the ancient kingdom that Oda really wants to tell. (as an opposite example, Black Clover is built entirely out of glue)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2020

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also prophecy gives you an underlining drive and explanation for your plot to keep going. It takes a little of the edge off your complaints of plot armor and Mary Sueness while also giving motivations for various side characters to show up. Plus it lets you set up some structure and foreshadowing in a quick and easy way. All of which probably look real tempting when you're engaged in the insane torture of the mangaka schedule.

Story help aside, prophesy is also a big and ancient element that's present in fantasy and classical literature type settings. It's a part of the genres and lots of shonen heavily sample from those genres when creating their stories. Sort of like how there's always a Sun Wukong lurking somewhere in the story even if they aren't a main character.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reread the Reverie arc. I missed the part where the Admirals mention Vegapunk has invented something to make the Warlords obsolete, where I assumed they were abolished from the Alabasta/Dressrosa kings discussing their experiences. Feels like either they're about to revive an ancient weapon. That or haki Kumas.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
kuma must be the superweapon as he has just been powering up for 3 years based on all the stab wounds he's suffered

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A weapon to surpass the Warlords.

Les Enfants Terribles, Vegapunk called it.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

kuma must be the superweapon as he has just been powering up for 3 years based on all the stab wounds he's suffered

The superweapon isn't Uranus, it's Ursus.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Will One Piece cover Uranus?

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
kuma owns

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

No Wave posted:

Naruto's prophecy was I think worthless because it was so vague
It was worse because it spat in the face of one of the underlying themes of the earlier parts of the series, though that had still been slapped about before that point.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1285773863956037637

tag yourself im backwards hand doflamingo

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm Franky's tortured existence. :sterv:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

ye he he its a bone jest.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm Usopp's parachute pants. :usoppants:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
im the somehow nearly perfect zoro

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

im the somehow nearly perfect zoro

Oda tried to make it look rough, but nothing happened.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Tactical Knife Law

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Komurasaki also turned out bizarrely well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm Usopp's chest that looks like a pair of googly eyes.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I'm Kidd that ate a snowcone far too aggressively.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 2000, hyped up as The Final One Piece Chapter. It's all been building to this. Luffy finally has gotten the One Piece and become Pirate King, and the gang celebrates a world-wide party. A touching series of two-page spreads sends off all of our favorite characters. Turn to the final page. END OF PART 1

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
we learn that one piece is the manga, one piece

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Voxx posted:

we learn that one piece is the manga, one piece

Roger laughed because he saw Luffy stabbing himself

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Looks like aside from Oda they actually got a bunch of artists to do Line stickers from Kishimoto to Dreams Come True to the actual voice actors from the show. https://onepiece-line.com/

The official twitter has been showing off and retweeting some of them and some of them are already up on the Japanese Line store

Big fan of the one that uses the PS1 game models and the cringe compilation

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Katakuri is the stuff of nightmares.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

all of these are so good

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Looks like somebody messed up and added a regular picture of Crocodile in there??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Looks like aside from Oda they actually got a bunch of artists to do Line stickers from Kishimoto to Dreams Come True to the actual voice actors from the show. https://onepiece-line.com/

The official twitter has been showing off and retweeting some of them and some of them are already up on the Japanese Line store

So hosed up that I can’t buy these!!!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You guys will need to tell me how to navigate this site so I'm getting more than a single image of Ace.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cat Machine posted:

So hosed up that I can’t buy these!!!

Taiwan was Japan for a whole hot minute back in the day so I think rightfully we should be able to buy these

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rohan Kishibe posted:

You guys will need to tell me how to navigate this site so I'm getting more than a single image of Ace.

it didn't work on mobile for me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ryaomon posted:

hey what's going on here

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Yeah it's Japan only sadly so the site doesn't work on mobile.

oddium posted:

hey what's going on here

Those are a collab with GLAY (the j-rock band) hence why all the humans in that set look like members of the band. Admittedly I don't know much about them but judging from the fact that those are all animal characters its probably a mascot thing that doesn't translate very well to people not in the know.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://wellfine.tumblr.com/post/182412209258/i-cannot-get-over-asexualzoro-s-headcanon-that

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reminder that Brook missed out on: The entire rise and disbanding of the Roger Pirates, the God Valley Incident and maybe even the forming of the Rocks Pirates, the Ohara Incident, everything that went on with Whitebeard and the context for literally all the Emperors, Shanks especially, amongst other miscellaneous events that are probably known the world over like with what happened to Law's home.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

During that scene meeting Rayleigh and talking about Roger, Brookethe entire time must've been thinking "What the gently caress is a One Piece?".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the idea that he still does not know, and every time someone has tried to explain it to him, he has gotten distracted or interrupted.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Sub Harrison posted:

During that scene meeting Rayleigh and talking about Roger, Brookethe entire time must've been thinking "What the gently caress is a One Piece?".

Brook has spent this entire time thinking everyone is after a swimsuit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Brook raises his hand during the debriefing on the big plan to defeat Kaidou.

"The gently caress is an Emperor and why are there four of them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Uh theres 5 of them. Luffy is a gokou