Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
TWI Patreon Despite the hints that the demons aren't evil it's kinda hard to reconcile that with Silvenia their version of Tom. Except if Tom was the ranking general as well as some ancient murder mage. Then again the Blighted Kingdom murdered a ton of unborn babies. Rhir sucks.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 19, 2020

asur
Dec 28, 2012

shirunei posted:

TWI Patreon Despite the hints that the demons aren't evil it's kinda hard to reconcile that with Silvenia their version of Tom. Except if Tom was the ranking general as well as some ancient murder mage. Then again the Blighted Kingdom murdered a ton of unborn babies. Rhir sucks.

The whole story on Rhir doesn't seem to make a lot of sense now. The mage is clearly insane even though the other demons and giants don't seem to be it's unclear why the person from Earth helps them. I thought the antium heavily implied a god was sleep under the continent and was displacing them thus forcing them to fight the kingdom and finally flee. It's not clear how that or the crelers fit in.

The kingdom totally deserves their spell helping the demons more than them.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Fun Katalepsis chapter, but i'm feeling worse and worse for Raine. :(

You know what? Me too. She really needs to just goddamn talk.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Three Rhir chapters? Ugh.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI Patreon 3 Rhir chapters? That’s too bad.... oh, these aren’t in the Clown’s head? And we’re meeting a new cast of characters who will join Ilvriss’ new army? Ok, interesting.....

Oh, everyone we just spent 75k words meeting gets killed in a meaningless fight. Awesome writing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Mother of Learning author has posted some story ideas on their patreon for the next thing he is going to do. Unfortunately, two of them are litrpgs. I really hope he doesn't choose one of those two.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Mother of Learning author has posted some story ideas on their patreon for the next thing he is going to do. Unfortunately, two of them are litrpgs. I really hope he doesn't choose one of those two.

Where is his patreon so I can try to stop him?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

Where is his patreon so I can try to stop him?

https://www.patreon.com/nobody103

I think his Zenith idea is the most original. It might fall apart under its own weight though.

The Infinite Dungeon is obviously just the Gamer.

I read King of The Junkyard as a two part novel so bad I can't remember the name of. It was a romance novel masquerading as fantasy and had a female MC with elf lovers. Aside from those bad memories, the basic shape of the idea is promising and I think would play to the author's strengths.

I would like Refuge a million times more if the MC wasn't an NPC. It's also obviously inspired by the success of HWFWM.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Ytlaya posted:

This actually brings something to mind that I hope the author addresses - nearly every single other non-production cultivator peer in the series is a direct fighting type. It'd be good if Ling Qi had to face off against someone with a similar skill-set (or the "disruption"-focused one Sun Liling mentioned that is apparently strong against cultivators like her). Ling Qi's fights are generally less interesting to read than fights between other characters, because all she does is flit around laying down her arts and freeze someone once they've been worn down (now with the help of Zhengui making walls to further obstruct people). She only ever loses to people who are capable of just directly overpowering her. It's effective and makes sense for her, but not interesting to read.

She does fight a disruptor-type ... It's Cai Renxiang. Cai Renxiang is theorized to be a dual disruptor / blaster type.

Xuan Shi is obviously a tank / support. Meizhen is some sort of tank / controller combo. Most people are guessing that part of why the ducals are insane is that they can manage to hit top tier in two or more categories whereas even as talented as Ji Rong and Ling Qi are, they're top tier in one.

Lu Feng is probably a disruptor type. Controller wise, Han Jian might be the closest in a different sort of way (buffs vs. Ling Qi's debuffs) or perhaps, Bian Ya or Ruan Shen.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I only see one LitRPG there.

King of the Junkyard sounds the best to me off hand, though how compelling it is in the long run will depend a lot on the meta plot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cicero posted:

I only see one LitRPG there.

King of the Junkyard sounds the best to me off hand, though how compelling it is in the long run will depend a lot on the meta plot.

The 4th story has a NPC from a litrpg world as the main character.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yes, but the story itself is not actually a LitRPG, it sounds like.

I think it's kind of a clever idea, NPC from video game world treats 'conventional' fantasy world as if it's a LitRPG even though it's not.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh, oh, I'd totally read that one possibly, because Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is the best

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Royal Road's gamification system is weird. Occasionally I load a page and it tells me that I leveled up and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean or if the levels do anything. I'm guessing that it's trying to do something like stack overflow's system where contributing gets you points and then you unlock new exciting powers like getting to be an unpaid moderator? If so it would probably work better if they actually displayed your level and linked to a page that explains what it does. Is it just a totally pointless thing that exists only because RR readers really like gaining levels?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Plorkyeran posted:

Royal Road's gamification system is weird. Occasionally I load a page and it tells me that I leveled up and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean or if the levels do anything. I'm guessing that it's trying to do something like stack overflow's system where contributing gets you points and then you unlock new exciting powers like getting to be an unpaid moderator? If so it would probably work better if they actually displayed your level and linked to a page that explains what it does. Is it just a totally pointless thing that exists only because RR readers really like gaining levels?

[Account Name] => My Profile => Reputation

Shows both your current level and your reputation level, as well as what points you received for your comments.

Inner City Leftist
Jun 5, 2011

lurksion posted:

OK, throwing this in as a strong recommendation (though the first "book" is quite uneven while it tries to set the setting up)

Nanocultivation Chronicles
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28254/nanocultivation-chronicles-trials-of-lilijoy

This is a very interesting mashup of a scfi postapoc (sort of LitRPG via nanobot augmentation unlocking posthuman capabilities) + cultivation (distinctly NOT xianxia, though still meditation focused, also nanobot driven) + "VRMMO" (LitRPG via its a drat video game) setting, and all three constituent parts actually fit together to drive a strong central plot/mystery. The numbers also do not get in the way of things either.

The "outside" earth in the 23rd century is a mostly uninhabitable wasteland outside the equatorial regions due to constant fuckups in the late 21st century involving (a) global warming to kick things off (b) runaway inedible super-carbon fixing plants bioengineered to deal with that (b) global ice age when they hosed up a solar shade to deal with that (c) small nanobot disasters all over the place including a massive grey goo event in Australia that was stopped by carpet nuking. Everyone alive (~100 million) owes the relative stability of things to a apparently benevolent (?) post-singularity AI that got itself off the ground late in the series of disasters, which then proceeded to stabilize things, set the earth on a slow 10k year repair timeline, laid down ground rules of behavior / allowed technology, and then hosed off to do whatever post-singularity AIs do; with only the occasional subprocess popping over to orbital laser any residual grey goo flareups or warn off rule breaking. Oh, and it provided the "inside" VRMMO as an escape from the half dead earth.

Humanity is now a dystopia ruled by an association of "clans" descended from the corporations/organizations/governments from the old 21st century who hold a stranglehold on the production of nanobot augmentations on the "outside", with even the most basic of integrations effectively requiring dept slavery from the bulk of humanity to afford. And there is no way for unaugmented humanity to even have a chance at competing without said augments (expanded senses, faster reactions, thoughts, communications, reinforced skin/bones, improved blood supply, etc). A basic neural interface is also required to access the "inside", where the bulk of "important" human activity now occurs (also held in a stranglehold by said clans, though "NPC" organizations do exist and still hold notable power in places). While "physical" augmentations/statups don't carry between the two worlds, anything mental/learned do translate (e.g. MC learns to understand echolocation in the VR space, and thus is able to echolocate in the physical world as well)

Into this, the MC has a "fortuitous encounter" with a powerful legacy nanobot system from the pre-collapse era, where through meditation/cultivation rather than external augmentation, they are able to increase nanobot count & develop new capabilities, especially mentally. And the writing surrounding how these skills develop & are integrated is done superbly (e.g. echolocation). And of course, having a super powerful legacy system from prehistory ties into the main plot - where'd it come from and what is its impact on how the world is structured, both inside & outside.

For those of you that read published scifi, this also has echoes of Blindsight and its meditations on consciousness/sentience/sapience as the MC develops her mind. Except where Blindsight ran with the thesis that these are unnecessary and actually a evolutionary dead end as humanity slowly loses ground, Nanocultivation is running the opposite direction, that these are critical to development of stronger intelligence.

Thanks for recommending this! I'm in early book two and the setting is a lot of fun

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Katreus posted:

[Account Name] => My Profile => Reputation

Shows both your current level and your reputation level, as well as what points you received for your comments.
Looks like I'm at 7 for both, and some dude named "HltIer" apparently liked one of my comments. Thanks Royal Road.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Yes, but the story itself is not actually a LitRPG, it sounds like.

I think it's kind of a clever idea, NPC from video game world treats 'conventional' fantasy world as if it's a LitRPG even though it's not.

Well, it sounds like he goes from an actual MMO to a fantasy world that still has some RPG-ish rules, so I'd call it 'gamelit'.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Last Angel 3: Tokyo Drift thread is up.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

I lost my place in thread 2 and the format (being posts in a megathread) is pretty horrendous that I don't want to go back and figure out where I was. Is there a repost anywhere or an ebook or osmehting?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Sibling of TB posted:

I lost my place in thread 2 and the format (being posts in a megathread) is pretty horrendous that I don't want to go back and figure out where I was. Is there a repost anywhere or an ebook or osmehting?

E: Also reader mode which filters out everything that's not a main threadmark

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 20, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Sibling of TB posted:

But there are thread marks and chapters?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Affi posted:

But there are thread marks and chapters?
They're advanced new technology for a lot of people, and easy to overlook. You're talking to someone whose forum had load-bearing slurs and copyright dates.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They're advanced new technology for a lot of people, and easy to overlook. You're talking to someone whose forum had load-bearing slurs and copyright dates.

I know :( I can't figure out how to read only the OPs post on those newfangled forums.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Affi posted:

I know :( I can't figure out how to read only the OPs post on those newfangled forums.
You can't, but they should have threadmarked all their story posts and you can just hit reader mode in the threadmark menu to only see those.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
[quote="90s Cringe Rock" post="506658711"]
You can't, but they should have threadmarked all their story posts and you can just hit reader mode in the threadmark menu to only see those.
[/quot

They have but there is a lot of info that doesn’t get added to story posts imo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You guys should read the There Is No Antimemetics Division and Five Five Five Five Five over at SCP Wiki. You don't need to have read any of the other SCP stuff and it's dope-rear end cosmic horror that's not about people freaking out about giant octopuses. EDIT: Ah, forgot. It's from the author of Ra if that makes any difference for you.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 22, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Am I the only one who imagines the Hungry Choir as this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

She does fight a disruptor-type ... It's Cai Renxiang. Cai Renxiang is theorized to be a dual disruptor / blaster type.

Xuan Shi is obviously a tank / support. Meizhen is some sort of tank / controller combo. Most people are guessing that part of why the ducals are insane is that they can manage to hit top tier in two or more categories whereas even as talented as Ji Rong and Ling Qi are, they're top tier in one.

Lu Feng is probably a disruptor type. Controller wise, Han Jian might be the closest in a different sort of way (buffs vs. Ling Qi's debuffs) or perhaps, Bian Ya or Ruan Shen.

Those are all her allies who she only ever fights in training, though (with the exception of Lu Feng if I'm remembering him right; I think Ling Qi fought him at some point, though I think she was higher cultivation at the time and it may have been part of a group fight or something? don't remember). Her actual real enemies (and even tournament/rank duel opponents) haven't included such people. Also Bai Meizhen and Cai Renxiang (who are the only ones she's even fought in training) were both in the "significantly higher cultivation level" category until pretty recently (they're still higher, but I get the impression they're close enough now that it's not completely impossible for someone at Ling Qi's cultivation to win against them).

It would also be good to see more group fights with cooperation between cultivators, though I'm wondering if there may have been ally-related arts/domain calculations occurring behind the scenes in battles like the recent one in the caves.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is the Forge of Destiny on RoyalRoad just Forge, or does it include Threads too? If it includes Threads, is it caught up at all with the forum version?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Cicero posted:

Is the Forge of Destiny on RoyalRoad just Forge, or does it include Threads too? If it includes Threads, is it caught up at all with the forum version?

RR is Forge. It hasn't finished Forge yet.

Ytlaya posted:

Those are all her allies who she only ever fights in training, though (with the exception of Lu Feng if I'm remembering him right; I think Ling Qi fought him at some point, though I think she was higher cultivation at the time and it may have been part of a group fight or something? don't remember). Her actual real enemies (and even tournament/rank duel opponents) haven't included such people.

I mean, she's fought Shen Hu, Ji Rong, and Sun Liling in tournament before. She's fought other controllers and disruptors; we just don't have their names. Like the bard Cloud Nomad is a controller. The shishigui assassin was a disruptor.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Megazver posted:

You guys should read the There Is No Antimemetics Division and Five Five Five Five Five over at SCP Wiki. You don't need to have read any of the other SCP stuff and it's dope-rear end cosmic horror that's not about people freaking out about giant octopuses. EDIT: Ah, forgot. It's from the author of Ra if that makes any difference for you.

I absolutely second this recommendation. qntm consistently knocks it out of the park and this is no exception. It uses his usual non-linear storytelling style where he releases a series of chapters that, while not chronological in order, lay out the setting and the plot in a way that pulls you in and makes you feel clever for putting things together.

The core background premise is that there are ideas and concepts that are supernatural in and of themselves. There’s memes, which get stuck in your head like a catchy song, and there’s antimemes, which fall out of your head like the name of the person you just met. Sometimes these ideas have effects that go beyond just getting stuck in your head, and that’s where the Foundation gets involved.

(Here’s an example SCP entry, also written by qntm.)

There’s a division in the Foundation, the Antimemetics Division, that does it’s damnedest to secure, contain, and protect things that are unknowable. This is a very daunting task because if there’s an undetectable monster that eats people and then erases its victims from other peoples’ memories then there’s going to be a lot of dead people before someone notices that the office has twice as many desks as it really needs to. Antimemetics is about finding these holes in reality, charting the shape of them, taking a lot of experimental drugs so that you don’t forget about the shape you just charted out, and then building a fence around it.

Sometimes, though, there are ideas too big or too forgettable to contain. Sometimes it’s better to just let them be forgotten because remembering them long enough to even try to contain them is fatal. qntm’s Antimemetics stories are about how to stop one such idea from destroying the world, and they’re amazing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Katreus posted:

drat, that's too bad. Would be easier for me to keep up on using RR.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

I mean, she's fought Shen Hu, Ji Rong, and Sun Liling in tournament before. She's fought other controllers and disruptors; we just don't have their names. Like the bard Cloud Nomad is a controller. The shishigui assassin was a disruptor.

Ji Rong and Sun Liling are both the "duelist" types that Sun Liling says are bad against people like Ling Qi, though. Sun Liling basically says "it was a bad match-up, people like you and me are bad against people like her." Sun Liling obviously still wins against Ling Qi, but that's mostly due to a difference in raw power.

I'll grant you those barbarians (though I can't remember what arts the assassin used), though their whole system of cultivation seems different so it's not quite the same as a conflict against some named character where we have some understanding of their cultivation/arts. I'm not sure what Shen Hu would be considered. He (or that one non-material spirit he has) has that one spiritual attack, but his main mode of combat still seemed to be physical attacks with his black crystals and his swamp beast spirit. Shen Hu was actually probably one of my favorite Ling Qi fights, though.

All of this being said, such a conflict (a Ling Qi-like cultivator fighting Ling Qi) actually might not be that interesting to read, since it would likely boil down to "one manages to resist the other's effects or win in a battle of attrition." My favorite fights to read are usually ones that Ling Qi isn't a part of (Gu Xiulan vs Wen Ai is one of my favorite).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if we're repping scp stuff everyone should go read Gamers Against Weed, especially the stuff written by Communism Will Win

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Today's He Who Fights Monsters really drives home how much better it is when comedy is front and center.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just don't get what the poor guy wants to do with the story at this point. All signs point to burnout/fatigue leading to turning the comedy thing into a by-the-numbers serious litrpg, and that seems like an astonishingly bad idea.

Edit: Huh, caught up with tonight's Katalepsis. I'm glad Heather isn't jumping feet-first into the zombie threesome thing and screwing up everything forever, and good on everyone for having a happy time for once, but I was not expecting the ending- when Zheng said "Dude wtf, four sheep? I hanged one up there," I thought the implication was going to be that the other three corpses were soylent green.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 25, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, I like comedy as much as anybody, but I think HWFWM at the moment is still... fine? As for what he's doing, he's obviously setting up pieces for the second book.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Today's He Who Fights Monsters really drives home how much better it is when comedy is front and center.
It's the simple things, like elf names.