Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there any considerations for Intel vs AMD anymore? Quick research didn't appear to show any major or realistic differences in performance, reliability, pricing, or compatibility between the two (though I did see a couple blurbs about RAM using a larger impact on Ryzen performance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PageMaster posted:

Is there any considerations for Intel vs AMD anymore? Quick research didn't appear to show any major or realistic differences in performance, reliability, pricing, or compatibility between the two (though I did see a couple blurbs about RAM using a larger impact on Ryzen performance).

If you have a 144hz screen, a GPU / resolution combo that can push all 144hz, a desperate need for 120/144 fps vs 100/120 (depending on the game), and a spare $100, Intel's got you covered.

Otherwise just buy AMD. It's cheaper and in terms of absolute performance has plenty of horsepower for nearly everyone.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

sean10mm posted:

The difference between 3200 and 3600 RAM doesn't matter, really only get the 3600 if you find a great deal that puts it near 3200 pricing.

Pay the small upcharge to get a WD SN550 instead of the P1. It uses better TLC memory instead of the QLC in the P1.

I have an OC'd i5 and the problem you run into is newer games actually need a processor that can handle more threads than 4. The 3600 is unlikely to let you down (newer games in particular demand more threads, and in those it will kill an i5), but if you're paranoid and have the budget the 3700X is really nice.

e: There is already a generation of AMD CPU after the 3000s coming out later this year that should run on B450 with a bios update, so you should have an upgrade path there.

Thanks very much, will get it all ordered in a week or so!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Any y'all have direct experience with mini-ITX-compatible cases that can support today's ridiculously thick (as in width/depth, not height or length) GPUs?

My BitFenix Prodigy is barely too narrow for an MSI RTX 2070 Super 'Gaming X' I just got; can't put the side of the case back on as the card's fans bulge out. My old GTX 970 (same 'line' as this one, besides not being "Super") was 35mm thick but the new one's 56mm!

I could try a different card, but given NewEgg's restocking/ship fees, I'd be out about $100 and if this is the direction GPUs are moving in, I want to at least consider investing that money into a "3 slots wide GPU" capable case instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cooler Master just released the NR200 with room for pretty large CPU tower coolers and 3-slot GPUs, it's not a tiny ITX case but still fairly compact and also reasonably priced. Smaller cases are usually boutique cases going for $150+ which also limit you to 2 (sometimes 2.5) slot GPUs if they're not even further restricted in length/width. For those, you pretty much have to pick a GPU that fits the case and not vice versa.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

bitprophet posted:

Any y'all have direct experience with mini-ITX-compatible cases that can support today's ridiculously thick (as in width/depth, not height or length) GPUs?

My BitFenix Prodigy is barely too narrow for an MSI RTX 2070 Super 'Gaming X' I just got; can't put the side of the case back on as the card's fans bulge out. My old GTX 970 (same 'line' as this one, besides not being "Super") was 35mm thick but the new one's 56mm!

I could try a different card, but given NewEgg's restocking/ship fees, I'd be out about $100 and if this is the direction GPUs are moving in, I want to at least consider investing that money into a "3 slots wide GPU" capable case instead.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

sean10mm posted:

Every B550 board has a PCie 4.0 16x slot and M.2 PCie 4.0 x4 SSD slot that go straight to the CPU, nothing messes with those. They're off to the side by themselves, you never have to worry about those because they don't even interact with the chipset really.

Where things can get confusing is how the board juggles the second M.2 slot, the other PCIe 3.0 slots and the SATA ports. B550 boards can't run all of them at full bandwidth simultaneously. If you use the M.2 slot some boards deactivate SATA ports and some deactivate PCIe 3.0 slots. Some boards only run the second M.2 slot at 3.0 2x instead of 3.0 4x speed, or will slow down the second M.2 slot if you plug in too many PCIe cards.

Basically you have to read the manual for the board to be sure how it handles it.

For most people none of these limitations matter, if they do just get X570 and run 2x M.2 drives and 6x SATA drives and multiple 16x cards or whatever and go hog wild. But by then you're spending so much on extra poo poo to plug in that the premium for a high end X570 really doesn't matter.

I did some research and it appears that I've zeroed in on a motherboard candidate:

Asus ROG Strix B550-E.

It's one of the only motherboards on here that don't compromise my core requirements. The others either lack Wifi or are too expensive when you factor in the purchase of a wifi adapter.

Unfortunately it's also 389 CAD which places it in Aorus X570 PRO pricing. :psyduck:

What is the loving point? That price point only seems to make sense if you want a X570 Crosshair but don't use all its features for a savings of 100 bucks. But when you cross shop it with other B550 offerings like the Tomahawk, Steel Series or B550 Aorus pro you're paying all this money for what exactly? A wifi adapter?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 22, 2020

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Found the Lian-Li TU150 which seems right up my alley, with the exception of needing SFX sized PSUs (mine's ATX). Leads me to a 2nd question: when GPU manufacturers recommend a PSU wattage (eg 2070 Supers often want a 650W), what are they basing that on? A big pile of overclocked kit, extra cooling, and HDDs or something?

Summing the draw of all my components (mini ITX board, quad i7, 2x ram, 1x SSD, stock fans, and at the time, the GTX 970; nothing OC'd) I need about 280W under load. My 550W PSU has nearly 2x that. I could presumably get a GPU drawing up to 325W (the 970 draws 145, the 2070 Super draws 215-235W) before I hit 20% spare capacity. So getting a 650W anytime soon seems wasteful?

orcane posted:

Cooler Master just released the NR200 with room for pretty large CPU tower coolers and 3-slot GPUs, it's not a tiny ITX case but still fairly compact and also reasonably priced. Smaller cases are usually boutique cases going for $150+ which also limit you to 2 (sometimes 2.5) slot GPUs if they're not even further restricted in length/width. For those, you pretty much have to pick a GPU that fits the case and not vice versa.
Thanks, I'll take a look. In my case I'm not using mini-ITX for absolute "must be as small as possible" focus, more because I simply don't need the expansion of micro or full ATX, and did want an easily luggable case (the Prodigy has amazing handles). I'd consider going up to micro-ATX if I hadn't literally just upgraded everything besides the GPU a year or two back.

Derp, thanks! See above, but I'll still read through that thread for case recommendations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kraftwerk posted:

I did some research and it appears that I've zeroed in on a motherboard candidate:

Asus ROG Strix B550-E.

It's one of the only motherboards on here that don't compromise my core requirements. The others either lack Wifi or are too expensive when you factor in the purchase of a wifi adapter.

Unfortunately it's also 389 CAD which places it in Aorus X570 PRO pricing. :psyduck:

What is the loving point? That price point only seems to make sense if you want a X570 Crosshair but don't use all its features for a savings of 100 bucks. But when you cross shop it with other B550 offerings like the Tomahawk, Steel Series or B550 Aorus pro you're paying all this money for what exactly? A wifi adapter?

They make a wifi version of the B550-F Gaming that's 279 CAD or 239 without it.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Hoo boy, okay. I haven't done this since well before the last thread closed, so bear with me if you would.

First, sanity check: anything obviously dumb or missing (I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard).
This is a semi-budget build to play current games well and then stay in use for some time.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($133.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF Gaming OC Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 560 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $951.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-22 23:14 EDT-0400

Questions:
Is built-in WiFi decent now, or do I need a discrete controller?
How do you install windows without an optical drive/with just a key?
Is the stock AMD cooler fan good enough/quiet enough if I'm not overclocking?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Samsung SSDs are a ripoff now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheNothingNew posted:

Is built-in WiFi decent now, or do I need a discrete controller?
How do you install windows without an optical drive/with just a key?
Is the stock AMD cooler fan good enough/quiet enough if I'm not overclocking?

AORUS wifi seems fine.

You can download the media from Microsoft via a tool that will prepare a USB key for you. But buy your key from SA-Mart for $10 instead, please!

It’s not Noctua-quiet, but IMO it’s not obnoxious and it can handle non-OC temps fine on the 3600.

E: yeah, look at ADATA, HP or WD for SSD instead

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Also you'll want NVMe for your boot drive if you can stretch for it IMO. It's still pretty pricey but there's a noticeable jump over SATA drives, at least from what I've experienced.

Seconding Aorus WIFI as a good board, I've been running the Z390 equivalent with no hiccups other than Gigabyte's depressingly bad software.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Bloody Pom posted:

Also you'll want NVMe for your boot drive if you can stretch for it IMO. It's still pretty pricey but there's a noticeable jump over SATA drives, at least from what I've experienced.

Seconding Aorus WIFI as a good board, I've been running the Z390 equivalent with no hiccups other than Gigabyte's depressingly bad software.

Does it make that much of a difference? Because I've ordered a NVMe but I was planning on using it for gaming. You think I should be using it for my OS instead?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You won't notice a difference except with benchmarks.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Thank all very much. Order placed. Hopefully actually assembling a PC hasn't changed much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happily, the price premium is also pretty small these days, so for $15 you can simplify cabling and get a marginal perf boost.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just installed my new RM750x, that was several hours of pain. Old MWE 650 is in the garbage where it belongs, along with the poor rear fan that was caught in the crossfire (the power wire looked like a cable tie I swear). Thankfully I have a 240mm AIO I could steal one of the fans from while I wait for a replacement to arrive.

New power brick doesn't turn off if I plug in a WD Passport, which was 100% killer for the old one, so I think I'm good to go.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Hey folks,

I'm currently helping a friend who lives in Chile looking into building a new PC. I know I've seen folks talking about how its expected the next generation of CPUs will be coming out later this year, but what I was wondering as a dumb american is is there much of a delay between when those new parts come out and how long it'd take for them to reach market in Chile? My friend would be buying the parts locally from a store, I believe a local PC Factory shop (https://www.pcfactory.cl/), as opposed to ordering stuff online which is part of why I ask. Not sure whether to advise them to hold off for a bit or just go ahead and go forward with a 3600.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lilli posted:

Hey folks,

I'm currently helping a friend who lives in Chile looking into building a new PC. I know I've seen folks talking about how its expected the next generation of CPUs will be coming out later this year, but what I was wondering as a dumb american is is there much of a delay between when those new parts come out and how long it'd take for them to reach market in Chile? My friend would be buying the parts locally from a store, I believe a local PC Factory shop (https://www.pcfactory.cl/), as opposed to ordering stuff online which is part of why I ask. Not sure whether to advise them to hold off for a bit or just go ahead and go forward with a 3600.

What's the PC for? Are we talking a gaming PC at 1080p, 1440p, 4k, something else? That might affect the answer.

Reasons to wait to upgrade, in order of importance (IMO):

1) Part availability in general is very hit or miss day to day, and there is some price gouging. But it's OK if the specific things you want happen to be in stock at MSRP.
2) RTX 30 series coming out soon(ish) from nvidia, which allegedly will give substantially more GPU power at any given price point than current cards. But this is really only more important on mid to high end builds; if your target GPU was more like a 1660 Super anyway then waiting on the 30 series makes less sense because the 3060 or whatever probably isn't out till 2021 or some poo poo.
3) Zen 3 coming out sometime late this year. It's rumored to be real good (big shock) but CPU power isn't really a huge problem for most users and having a 6 core/12 thread Zen 2 is probably going to be just fine for years. Plus boards that take Zen 2 will also take Zen 3 with a bios update, so if push comes to shove you can upgrade later anyway.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

sean10mm posted:

What's the PC for? Are we talking a gaming PC at 1080p, 1440p, 4k, something else? That might affect the answer.

Reasons to wait to upgrade, in order of importance (IMO):

1) Part availability in general is very hit or miss day to day, and there is some price gouging. But it's OK if the specific things you want happen to be in stock at MSRP.
2) RTX 30 series coming out soon(ish) from nvidia, which allegedly will give substantially more GPU power at any given price point than current cards. But this is really only more important on mid to high end builds; if your target GPU was more like a 1660 Super anyway then waiting on the 30 series makes less sense because the 3060 or whatever probably isn't out till 2021 or some poo poo.
3) Zen 3 coming out sometime late this year. It's rumored to be real good (big shock) but CPU power isn't really a huge problem for most users and having a 6 core/12 thread Zen 2 is probably going to be just fine for years. Plus boards that take Zen 2 will also take Zen 3 with a bios update, so if push comes to shove you can upgrade later anyway.

Computer would be used for a mix of playing games and working in Premier and Maya, and this would just be 1080p/60hz so nothing spectacular in that regards.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lilli posted:

Computer would be used for a mix of playing games and working in Premier and Maya, and this would just be 1080p/60hz so nothing spectacular in that regards.

I'd think a 3600/1660 Super build would be perfectly fine for that.

e: for the gaming part, not sure about Premier/Maya specific requirements.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 23, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So after a trip down the B550 rabbit hole, numerous looks at overpriced X570 boards like the Crosshair and Aorus Ultra, I finally settled on a board that I feel really comfortable using.
It's the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi. It has everything I want where it matters most to me and I have extra stuff I probably won't use but like to have the option for. This definitely feels like a great deal on a no compromises board and comes highly reviewed. I never in thought I'd get an MSI board again after the last one I owned had its SATA controller die on me but here we are. Also apparently there were major issues with the MSI Gaming Edge motherboard and this is supposed to be their come to jesus board so I have a feeling they probably QCed the gently caress out of this to maintain consumer confidence.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 23, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

So after a trip down the B550 rabbit hole, numerous looks at overpriced X570 boards like the Crosshair and Aorus Ultra, I finally settled on a board that I feel really comfortable using.
It's the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi. It has everything I want where it matters most to me and I have extra stuff I probably won't use but like to have the option for. This definitely feels like a great deal on a no compromises board and comes highly reviewed. I never in thought I'd get an MSI board again after the last one I owned had its SATA controller die on me but here we are.

AFAIK the only problem with the X570 Tomahawk is finding it in stock. Usually it's being price gouged at like US$350 when it should be way less than that.

I'm a little fuzzy on what your exact criteria are for choosing a board though (other than wifi obv). If you can spell out the exact things you need I might be able to come up with another alternative. But like I said AFAIK the X570 Tomahawk is real good if you aren't getting gouged way over MSRP on it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

sean10mm posted:

AFAIK the only problem with the X570 Tomahawk is finding it in stock. Usually it's being price gouged at like $350 when it should be way less than that.

I'm a little fuzzy on what your exact criteria are for choosing a board though. If you can spell out the exact things you need I might be able to come up with another alternative. But like I said AFAIK the X570 Tomahawk is real good if you aren't getting gouged way over MSRP on it.

Canada Computers has like 6 of them in stock near my house. Based on current exchange rates I can get one for 235 USD.

What I need (read: want) is reliability, heat efficiency, the ability to have 2 M2 drives run at max lanes, expansion card room, no annoying RGB bullshit, a post code or LED and bios flashback so I can update to run 4000 series CPUs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Canada Computers has like 6 of them in stock near my house. Based on current exchange rates I can get one for 235 USD.

I think they were going for US$220 when you could actually get them in the US so that seems in the ballpark. Right now in the US they are getting mega-gouged for $300+ everywhere and PC Part Picker won't even list links to them.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I think they were going for US$220 when you could actually get them in the US so that seems in the ballpark. Right now in the US they are getting mega-gouged for $300+ everywhere and PC Part Picker won't even list links to them.

The pricing is give or take 50-60 dollars in line with Aorus Pro, and any B550 board I would have bought. I don't mind paying 50-70 extra for peace of mind and what seems to be a very good board for the price. BUT! I do very much appreciate all your patience in helping me come to a decision.

EDIT: And I just picked it up. So that's another one checked off the list.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 23, 2020

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lilli posted:

sean10mm posted:

I'd think a 3600/1660 Super build would be perfectly fine for that.

e: for the gaming part, not sure about Premier/Maya specific requirements.

Fine for Premiere, can't speak to modern Maya.

If he's making a lot of use of GPU-accelerated effects, it might be worth the jump up to a newer NVIDIA card with more VRAM, but Adobe only just got onboard this whole newfangled "GPU acceleration" thing. You definitely hit a steep wall in the cost/performance curve (and in the performance curve generally) around a 2060 Super.

Ryzen 3600 is a trooper for Premiere.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 23, 2020

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Samsung SSDs are a ripoff now.

Is this just that other manufacturers have caught up and Samsung isn't the unquestioned go-to anymore, so the (hysterical) premium isn't worth it?

e: this question probably says a lot about when the last time I bought an SSD was. :v:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 23, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

mynnna posted:

Is this just that other manufacturers have caught up and Samsung isn't the unquestioned go-to anymore, so the (hysterical) premium isn't worth it?

e: this question probably says a lot about when the last time I bought an SSD was. :v:
Yup.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

When I told my buddy about my new Tomahawk he said he laments my "foolish decision" because according to him MSI is the worst motherboard manufacturer in the industry. He has been exclusively ASUS on all of his components that allow it due to component failures he's had with MSI over the years. He says he hopes I get lucky and that the tomahawk doesn't crap out on me. Feeling a little nervous now but if it does fail I'll still have EVGA Video cards and by then I'm sure I could get another Asus motherboard on the cheap.

One thing I’ve learned is that no matter which motherboard you choose there’s going to be an equal amount of people either trashing it or loving it. Seems unavoidable.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 23, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Sounds like a fanboi

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some angry rant on reddit the other day accusing ASUS of deliberately sabotaging their AMD product lines, so perhaps taking purchasing advice from a single data point is a bad idea. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

sean10mm posted:

IMO all the major board makers are mostly good, and all of them ship the occasional lemon.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As far as I can tell the market just isn't big enough, or maybe margins are thin enough, there just isn't room for lovely component manufacturers, except for SSDs where you just have to buy the chips to get a functional product. Bum components are a fact of life when dealing with things so complex and fragile, but for some reason people swear vendetta when they get one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gigabyte's awful software packages have put me off buying another board from them. Unfortunately ASRock is hard to come by down here, so my choices are ASUS or MSI.

I also really hope the trend of every single board outside of the baseline models being crammed with RGB bullshit stops being a thing eventually.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can I get some advice?

My household financial situation has gotten comfortable enough that my wife and I are looking at putting together a second gaming PC so we can play multiplayer games together. We don't need to play two AAA games at the same time, so the most demanding program it's likely to need to run would be X-Com 2. Our initial plan was just to put together a modest computer for this purpose, but when I started doing the homework for that one, it came to my attention that our primary gaming PC, which was a moderate performance build ~3 years ago, is approaching obsolescence. It still plays modern titles very well and I'm not feeling any pressure to upgrade it for its own sake (it looks to be on spec for Cyberpunk) , but I figure it's still on the back half of its operational lifespan and I don't think it will be compatible with modern parts for piecemeal upgrades in the future. Here are the specs for the current computer, taken from the old thread -

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($471.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($525.99)
Total: $1865.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-16 19:31 EDT-0400

Would we be better off just building a contemporary gaming machine and having this one become the secondary rig? Again, there's no immediate pressure to upgrade this machine and it would be absolutely excessive as a secondary rig, but it would feel silly to spend hundreds of dollars building a new secondary computer that will be relegated to uselessness if we have to replace the primary computer in two years anyways.

It seems like GPU prices are all kinds of hosed and the 1080 is probably the standout piece from the old build, so it's also possible that we could mitigate costs by migrating that to a new machine and replacing it with something more modest.

Thanks for your time.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 24, 2020

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
I was able to snag an NZXT H1, had a quick couple'a questions:
1) Mobo-wise I was trying to grab a ROG Strix B450-I (I'm running a 3600) , and am planning on waiting for a restock before I pull the trigger. Is this good or am I missing a more reasonable option? There's this ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING-ITX I can grab today for $140 that might be an alternative option with less drama around its availability?
2) Is a 5700 XT good enough to play Halo MCC at 1080p 60? Was thinking something like this feller. That's legit the only game I care about on PC. I guess like later on down the road I'll play Diablo 4, but gently caress if anyone knows what hardware that'll need.

I'm a dipshit so help is appreciated!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Looking at upgrading for FS2020 when it comes out next month;

Generally speaking I've been very happy with my computer, I barely even game on it these days anymore, but with FS2020 now is the time to dive back in!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($996.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($142.88 @ Other World Computing)
Monitor: Acer V277U 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor ($277.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1774.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-23 22:04 EDT-0400

Some of the stuff I am not sure the models of, like monitor and power supply, suffice to say they're able to change if need be. PSU is 800-900watts and fully modular, so it should be fine.

I've been WAY out of the pc game for awhile, so i really don't even know what is good anymore.

I'm good for HDD space and speed (might just get a nice large SSD instead of having 5 smaller ones like I do now, really just wondering if its time to get a different motherboard/cpu, and maybe a video card. And of course double up the ram from 16 to 32.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can vouch for the Strix B450-I. Been using it since August 2019 and was able to successfully apply 3 BIOS updates with no problems and it's been rock solid. The built-in wifi is also very good.

e: The RGB stuff is super annoying and obnoxious but you can turn them off in the BIOS.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 24, 2020