Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Prairie Bus posted:

I’ve wondered about this. Pevara talks about releasing Androl from her bond at the beginning of AMOL, but that’s from the same book.

I can’t remember the exact scene, but I know there’s a Moiraine perspective in either TSR or TFoH where Moiraine explains she didn’t want Lan to be unbonded because he’d immediately gently caress off to his death fighting the shadow. With Birgitte, I guess she had nothing more important to do until Gaidal was reborn.

yeah iirc that's pretty much one of her reasonings. lan was already pretty dead-set on doing incredibly stupid poo poo and the only way to keep him around and maybe change his perspective on that was for him to still have a bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know if it was ever in the books or I imagined it but I didn’t get the impression that the bond could be dissolved.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Prairie Bus posted:

I still think Elayne would’ve been more interesting if she had a real opponent for the succession. Arymilla has one scene and it’s so dull. Jarid’s role is so minor that Sanderson literally had his troops desert him because he had failed to accomplish anything.

You'd have to shuffle around a lot of the succession war to accommodate it, but with the "Elayne as a gray" idea I could see Daelin using her backers to actively challenge Elayne. Not because she wanted the throne, but as leverage to get Elayne to listen and grow some last bit to become Queen-worthy. Instead of (or in addition to since those guys wind up so toothless, if you can balance it well) the politicking progressing into warfare, have a warfare setup that turns into politics.

It worked to muddy the situation for the story, but it was frustrating that Elayne's biggest threat in terms of someone her supporters actually liked was just "no I don't want it stop trying to make this a plot point you guys."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think the worry with Birgitte was that the bond was all that kept her alive at first, and they didn't know what would happen if Elayne simply released her from it.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah iirc that's pretty much one of her reasonings. lan was already pretty dead-set on doing incredibly stupid poo poo and the only way to keep him around and maybe change his perspective on that was for him to still have a bond.

I don't know that Lan would have immediately left for the blight, considering he offered to go with Nynaeve to Tanchico and abandon Moiraine only a short time before that, but that is a possibility.

One more piece of circumstantial evidence for the bond not being breakable: Birgitte said that when Barashelle bonded some guy during the Trolloc Wars she had to pass his bond to somebody else (as opposed to just breaking it), remain an Accepted for a few more years, and then bond Anselan, a grumpy old man. I suppose passing it could have been one way to ensure that she really gave the bond up instead of just faking it but I never really got that impression.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Donkey posted:

I don't know that Lan would have immediately left for the blight, considering he offered to go with Nynaeve to Tanchico and abandon Moiraine only a short time before that, but that is a possibility.

One more piece of circumstantial evidence for the bond not being breakable: Birgitte said that when Barashelle bonded some guy during the Trolloc Wars she had to pass his bond to somebody else (as opposed to just breaking it), remain an Accepted for a few more years, and then bond Anselan, a grumpy old man. I suppose passing it could have been one way to ensure that she really gave the bond up instead of just faking it but I never really got that impression.

It was a punishment. She didn't just have to give up the bond, she had to give it to somebody else so that there was no chance of her getting it back.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But if it is easily broken then why wouldn’t you just have an army of warders? You could fight a war with supermen and then just let them go after.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's no direct evidence for it being breakable in RJ's text. But it's one of those things that logically might exist so RJ said it was possible to do at a signing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

But if it is easily broken then why wouldn’t you just have an army of warders? You could fight a war with supermen and then just let them go after.

I'm pretty sure someone - I don't remember who - actually says 'yo, we should do this' in AMOL

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I think there's some kind of strong emotional feedback that happens to the surviving party when a bond is broken by death. Warders go suicidal berserker and go off to die against the Shadow, and sisters collapse into crying wrecks. That's the reason why Moiraine passes Lan's bond - she wants him to have a normal amount of grief about his dead friend, instead of a supernatural amount of grief compelling him to his death. It's also why an army wouldn't work - if one of those soldiers dies, the channeler they're bonded to will probably be useless for the rest of that fight, and for that matter the rest of the soldiers are probably going to get a lot of backwash grief that makes them useless or mostly so. And of course if the enemy can take out the channeler, then all of the soldiers are going to stop doing tactics or listening to orders and will be easier pickings than if they were never bonded. (Is the Myrddraal-Trolloc bond a corrupted version of the warder bond?)

Also specific to Aes Sedai, a lot of their behavior is motivated by the need to appear like they're really special and important and above it all. An Aes Sedai's place in battle is to stride around majestically throwing fireballs and inspiring the troops. They're not going to agree to a plan where they hide in the back as glorified network hubs.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I imagine dissolving the bond is one of those soft retcons that either happened because Jordan hadn't really thought it through in the earlier books (see also: shadowspawn and Traveling) or because Sanderson thought it cool (see also: a lot of Travel mechanics). Hard to say which.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 22, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cause the Aes Sedai eats the backlash when one of them dies, so you're not gonna find very many Aes Sedai willing to sign up to potentially eat multiple Warder deaths per battle because you're using them as frontline troops. We're talking "Siaun and Leane cry themselves to sleep for months and Egwene turns into a wizard berserker" here. It would be a great way to ruin an Aes Sedai. Even worse, you could lose the Aes Sedai bound to a whole squad of warders for some reason and watch them all go berserk.

And that's not getting into the whole "Aes Sedai are too proud to just be a power source for a squad of warden-bound soldiers thing, which would be a huge issue.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess I'm confused by the actual timing of the passing of Lan's bond. Did Moiraine pass it prior to going through the door or did it pass automatically because she had created some kind of hand-off weave contingent on her death? None of the references I can find online are clear about it and from my own recollection, Lan was a mess after Moiraine died, going so far as to sleep with Myrelle (I believe) during the recovery process.

My original understanding was that Moiraine held the bond up until the instant she "died". However it passed, it had the same effect on Lan as if she had died, but this was mitigated by Myrelle being pro at nursing warders back to health.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
While Jordan isn't explicit about the timing, there's a part of Moiraine's brief POV that leads me to believe it's just a contingent weave:

Fires of Heaven Ch 52 posted:

Wiping the blood from her mouth, Moiraine crawled out from beneath the tail of the wagon and rose unsteadily to her feet, the sound of a man’s laughter in her ears. In spite of herself, her eyes darted, searching for Lan, found him lying almost against the foggy gray wall of the dome that stretched overhead. He twitched, perhaps trying to find strength to rise, perhaps dying. She forced him out of her mind. He had saved her life so many times that by rights it should have belonged to him, but she had long since done what she could to see that he survived his lone war with the Shadow. Now he must live or die without her.

There is also no specific mention in that POV of her doing anything to release the bond. Lan is down and out and wakes up to find that his bond with her is broken and that he is already being Compelled by Myrelle to come to her.

Just cause I have the ebook open, here's the relevant dialogue from Lan, which also supports this:

Fires of Heaven Ch 53 posted:

“Moiraine did something to me that has not been done in hundreds of years, not since the time when Aes Sedai still sometimes bonded a Warder whether he wanted it or not. She altered my bond so it passed to another when she died. Now I must find that other, become one of her Warders. I am one, already. I can feel her faintly, somewhere far to the west, and she can feel me. I must go, Rand. It is part of what Moiraine did. She said she would not allow me time to die avenging her.” He gripped the reins as if holding Mandarb back, as if holding himself back from digging his spurs in. “If you ever see Nynaeve again, tell her . . .” For an instant that stone face crumpled in anguish; an instant, then it was granite again. He muttered under his breath, but Rand heard. “A clean wound heals quickest and pains shortest.” Aloud, he said, “Tell her I’ve found someone else. Green sisters are sometimes as close to their Warders as other women are to husbands. In every way. Tell her I’ve gone to be a Green sister’s lover, as well as her sword. These things happen. It has been a long time since I’ve seen her.”

“I will tell her whatever you say, Lan, but I don’t know that she’ll believe me.”

Lan bent from the saddle to catch Rand’s shoulder in a hard grip. Rand remembered calling the man a half-tame wolf, but those eyes made a wolf seem a lapdog. “We are alike in many ways, you and I. There is a darkness in us. Darkness, pain, death. They radiate from us. If ever you love a woman, Rand, leave her and let her find another. It will be the best gift you can give her.” Straightening, he raised one hand. “Peace favor your sword. Tai’shar Manetheren.” The ancient salute. True blood of Manetheren.

However, we know Lan is not a reliable source here because Moiraine actually isn't dead, just stuck in Finn-land. He is repeating what she told him a few books prior though, which means that it's possible that is what Moiraine believed the weave did as well - though who knows with Aes Sedai.

I haven't read the last few books as many times, so I don't really remember if she gives clarification on any of this after she gets rescued.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 22, 2020

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

She really didn’t become insufferable until she went back to Caemlyn and got preggo.
Agreed, I enjoy Elayne until book 8, 9? Basically once the Bowl of Winds story line ends her story becomes awful for the rest of the series.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

(Is the Myrddraal-Trolloc bond a corrupted version of the warder bond?)

Not intentionally, the warder bond is a post-Age of Legends discovery unknown to the Forsaken in their time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Up to POD on a reread. Love to see Elyas giving Perrin the coursebook for Saldean wife 101 and Perrin deciding to ignore him.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Drone Jett posted:

Not intentionally, the warder bond is a post-Age of Legends discovery unknown to the Forsaken in their time.

Are there any mentions of the Trolloc-Myrddraal link from the Forsaken or Lews Therin? It could be that that ability was developed post-Breaking as well.

minema
May 31, 2011
https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27warder%20bond%27

RJ said in 2004 that releasing bonds was possible and done as needed if a Warder wasn't suitable. Also that in theory a myrdraal or an Ogier could be bonded too!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Democratic Pirate posted:

Up to POD on a reread. Love to see Elyas giving Perrin the coursebook for Saldean wife 101 and Perrin deciding to ignore him.

Ahhh why am I giving a man advice on his wife, good way to get stabbed

Or something like that.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 23, 2020

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

"Perrin, do you yell at your wife?"
"Of course not, I love her!"
"You don't love your wife if you don't yell at her, Perrin"

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

minema posted:

https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27warder%20bond%27

RJ said in 2004 that releasing bonds was possible and done as needed if a Warder wasn't suitable. Also that in theory a myrdraal or an Ogier could be bonded too!

That explanation makes sense. Based on the setting I'm willing to buy that it's something that wasn't done because of tradition, though I still wish that it was hinted at in the text first.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imagine an ogier warder. Complete death machine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Imagine an ogier warder. Complete death machine.

With Loial's advocacy for the Ogier to get more actively involved in the outside world instead of just noping out and the increase in Seanchan influence post Last Battle I could see it happening eventually.

Just make sure it's an Aiel Aes Sedai that gets the Ogier warder :black101:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I can imagine a pretty goofy comedy tale told by bards of the windfinder with an ogier warder, comfortable neither on land nor on the sea.

...or a bleak tragedy where they can never be together, but that's less fun.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bell jar posted:

"Perrin, do you yell at your wife?"
"Of course not, I love her!"
"You don't love your wife if you don't yell at her, Perrin"

Perrin:
“I can’t trust Elyas, that dude is crazy!”
“I can’t trust Faile’s parents, Saldeans are crazy!”
“I can’t trust my superhuman nose that smells Faile’s emotions, women are crazy!”

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Perrin:
“I can’t trust Elyas, that dude is crazy!”
“I can’t trust Faile’s parents, Saldeans are crazy!”
“I can’t trust my superhuman nose that smells Faile’s emotions, women are crazy!”

To be fair to Perrin, Faile was a little unhelpful with what she wanted, Faile's parents were a little nuts, and Elyas was a dude who escaped as a Warder and lived in the woods talking to wolves.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

To be fair to Perrin, Faile was a little unhelpful with what she wanted, Faile's parents were a little nuts, and Elyas was a dude who escaped as a Warder and lived in the woods talking to wolves.
and to bring us full circle, even though he escaped, his bond wasnt released

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also Perrin actually.. took Elyas's advice. Every other Faile PoV after that notes how pleased she is that he's finally started respecting her enough to yell or argue her down on something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

perrin's supersenses didn't really help him out much, at least at the beginning. the issue wasn't knowing what emotions faile was feeling, it was that he had like no loving clue why she was feeling the way she did. knowing someone threw a brick at you is great and all but knowing who and why they did it is another thing entirely and usually good to find out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Or, that her emotional scents are components of the whole and focusing on one of them to the exclusion of the others is dumb

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

perrin's supersenses didn't really help him out much, at least at the beginning. the issue wasn't knowing what emotions faile was feeling, it was that he had like no loving clue why she was feeling the way she did. knowing someone threw a brick at you is great and all but knowing who and why they did it is another thing entirely and usually good to find out.

Yeah, "knowing that somebody is mad at you" and "knowing why somebody is mad at you" are two entirely different things.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but he never thought to ask her or even think harder than women be crazy.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yea but he never thought to ask her or even think harder than women be crazy.

gosh that's certainly unrealistic

*looks directly into camera*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how the entire series has issues that could be solved by people just taking like 5 minutes to talk to each other, one of the most realistic ones is 'stubborn guy refuses to engage with his significant other by asking about their feelings'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

given how the entire series has issues that could be solved by people just taking like 5 minutes to talk to each other, one of the most realistic ones is 'stubborn guy refuses to engage with his significant other by asking about their feelings'

Stubborn guy rejects advice, empirical data, and personal experience to pursue prejudice-based course of action in all things

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it's good enough for the two rivers it's good enough for this political powderkeg of nations constantly bickering and going at each other's throats due to their frantic scrabbling to secure their own existence after the end times have occurred, goddammit

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

gosh that's certainly unrealistic

*looks directly into camera*

Definitely not unrealistic, but having superpowers that tell you how someone is feeling should give you a slight edge.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Definitely not unrealistic, but having superpowers that tell you how someone is feeling should give you a slight edge.

I mean it does give him a slight edge. Its not like the problem lasts forever, it happened for like 6 months at the beginning of their marriage.

That time is just stretched out over like five books with a lot of internal monologues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Perrin's entire problem was the fact that he could not understand what his supet-smell powers were telling him. It was enough to clue him in that something was off, but he still had to comprehend and adjust to the cultural difference before it made any sense.