Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That Doomcock guy is basically Supershadow 2.0 right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fair enough

It’s hard sussing out arguments to the absurd on the internets

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Fair enough

It’s hard sussing out arguments to the absurd on the internets

It was a little hard to parse out the fake legalese, but yeah, that post was basically saying, "You're allowed to use things like Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, because where's the money in that? But every time you dare use the word Tatooine, you pay me $1 billion!!!" It was most certainly a joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really more that they know they need to do different things to vaguely justify it being a new movie, but they really don't want to and are also incredibly uncreative, so they put new names on things while recycling everything they can and think that'll placate the audience.

The way some movies treat their audience nowadays is just plain weird, having unearned confidence in weird tricks while otherwise treating them as incomprehensible. It's like PUA treatment of women.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The real reason is probably because Tatooine is derivative of a real world location, and coruscant is a Latin word. Upholding trademarks on that poo poo is a hassle and a half and cam be bad publicity, whereas inventing new stuff is much easier.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The idea that the people making Star Wars movies are so disinterested in the series that they're intentionally doing as little creative work as possible in order to churn out a product to intentionally trick the audience is strange. The Disney execs might not give a poo poo beyond how much money it makes them, but it's clear that the people doing the creative work actually care about Star Wars a great deal, and are trying their little hearts out. The problem is that a lot of their creative energy is spent in using the imagery of the Original Trilogy as a goal rather than just a starting point.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m all for condemning everyone involved from top to bottom, I’m not reserving any special disdain for leadership. There’s virtually nothing in those films that warrants even the faintest applause.

Sound team?
Visual effects?
Costume shop?
Set design?
Writers?

All worthless. The actors largely did their best with what they were given. That’s about as much as I can say about the films.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lucasfilm fired the guy responsible for all of Star Wars's iconic sound design before TFA.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah one of the more under-criticized aspects of the sequels is there isn’t a single memorable sound effect in the whole trilogy. Burtt created a literal library of iconic sounds that have permeated all of western pop culture, and the sequels just... reheat all of that. There’s no film in history like Star Wars in terms of how iconic it’s score and sound effects are all on their own, and the sequels seem to have made no attempt fill those shoes. Same can be said for every single technical aspect of the films. Amazingly, they made three Star Wars films without a single special effect that stood out amongst contemporaneous blockbusters.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
One part of ROS I genuinely loved was that reaction shot of that slug guy going "what the - !?" and then we never see him again

At last, I thought, a character I can truly identify with

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jewmanji posted:

I’m all for condemning everyone involved from top to bottom, I’m not reserving any special disdain for leadership. There’s virtually nothing in those films that warrants even the faintest applause.

Sound team?
Visual effects?
Costume shop?
Set design?
Writers?

All worthless. The actors largely did their best with what they were given. That’s about as much as I can say about the films.

This seems like a slight exaggeration.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's telling that the best sound moment in the trilogy is the lack of it during the Holdo maneuver.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I always laugh when I think of the part where maz goes up to chewie to give him the medal and he's just sitting on a crate staring out into space, like he's just stunned and trying to process what the gently caress has happened

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was going to say chewie could jam the metal into the falcon to fix it during the battle but they used that idea in TLJ

They really kinda do away with the falcon being a falling-apart wreck after after halfway through TFA eh. They set it on fire in ROS but it doesnt mean anything, the audience is just conditioned to see it get beat up

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Robot Style posted:

It's telling that the best sound moment in the trilogy is the lack of it during the Holdo maneuver.

I'm assuming it's because Ben didn't want to have to try to top himself after doing six movies of sound design for Star Wars, but it's gotta be annoying to have JJ hire you for Star Trek and Into Darkness (I guess I know what a head-crushing by Ben Burtt sounds like now, thanks JJ), get Star Wars, let you add one piece of sound design to the collage that is yours or whatever they said they had him do, and then be told "now go... elsewhere. See you at the premiere."

Or to be the guy who took over, his former assistant iirc, and do three movies where you end up going "I think I made like ten new original sounds total in this whole entire trilogy, everything else was from the library."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

josh04 posted:

This seems like a slight exaggeration.

It does seem like an exaggeration. It’s virtually impossible to imagine that they made a whole new trilogy that contributes absolutely nothing to the franchise, but they somehow managed it.

I’m not being partisan about this. I went into each of the three movies with every hope that they’d succeed in some small way. But by literally any criteria you can muster, they were abject failures from beginning to end.

edit: let me be charitable and say that Kylo Ren’s leitmotif was pretty good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The SFX were perfectly fine, but it's the uninspired designs that render them moot. Like the acting versus the script

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

JJ chose... poorly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Kylo Ren's lightsaber sputtering and humming sounds pretty cool, though I guess I wouldn't call it iconic in the same way like a TIE fighter is. Anyway yeah, it's telling that that's the only sound effect in the sequel trilogy that actually comes to mind when I try to think of one

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I took another look at the Vanity Fair article I read about Ben Burtt and he did work on TFA. The only notable sound I can think of from that was BB8 at turns out it was him after all.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/ben-burtt-star-wars-sound

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's ridiculous that the RoS sound team was nominated for an Oscar for recycling Burtt's work.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jewmanji posted:

edit: let me be charitable and say that Kylo Ren’s leitmotif was pretty good.

Kylo's entrance theme is good, mainly because it recalls the Ark's theme from Raiders. I also like Rey's theme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rose’s theme is really good imo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Rose’s theme is really good imo.

yeah this is drat catchy

https://youtu.be/OSZCFFpix2g

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Theres a ben quote about how he was using his rejected bb8 sounds as his ringtones

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The whole "Secret Clause that gives Lucas money for planet names" conspiracy falls apart under even a moments thought. Jakku and NotYavin are because TFA is just a Kmart brand ANH. And "Hosnian" is because at the last second they told JJ to pretend that totally wasn't Coruscant he was blowing up because some bean-counter said they needed Coruscant to be unexploded for video games and books.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's really the weirdest conspiracy theory that people hold onto. Despite it being so unlikely I now want it to be true because george should get more money to dunk on californian republican homeowners, build museums, eat at food courts, make "art films that no one will ever see" et cetera

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Jakku not being Tatooine isn't that hard to understand. People say that the force awakens was an off-brand ANH, but that's not really true. it follows the loose plot structure of a new hope but incorporates story elements from the other two movies into it. What TFA did show was the limitations of the visual and aesthetic dictionary the producers of this trilogy were going to working from. Everything in TFA relate to visually to an earlier scene or visual element from the original trilogy. You didn't want to be constrained by setting the event is happening on the same planet necessarily, especially as that can make the universe feel excessively small. But it can't be Star Wars without having a desert planet in it. It can't be Star Wars without having the big space station in the giant laser beam. They even need include another little lizard gremlin thing to be the wise voice of reason, because that is Star Wars. I think Jenny Nicholson noted this, but it's like how Lando in the Solo movie dresses nothing but a series of capes. Lando how to keep it in The Empire strikes back that's therefor clothing that he can wear. I think it's one of the weaknesses of the Disney method of storytelling, which is excessively obsessed with I can find elements that they can repackage as other experiences like theme parks and merchandising tie-ins

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What was the final verdict on whether in TFA BB-8 gave Finn an thumbs up or flipped him off?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Little Death posted:

but it's like how Lando in the Solo movie dresses nothing but a series of capes. Lando how to keep it in The Empire strikes back that's therefor clothing that he can wear

this reminds me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0xiiYG2Ik

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pospysyl posted:

What was the final verdict on whether in TFA BB-8 gave Finn an thumbs up or flipped him off?

Both?

I do feel like that sums up the movies in so many ways. Not just that they're so conservative with their language and themes that it's genuinely confusing when they do something without precedent because it seems almost by accident.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those aren’t Hans clothes those are the pilots clothes

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

riiiiiight

i'm sure you'll cite whatever tie-in novella to back this up but no one cares

they're his clothes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Force Awakens doesn’t actually have the same narrative as A New Hope.

There are similar plot points, but it’s actually an inferior remake of Phantom Menace, down to the fact that the comic relief is the protagonist and the villains are all puppets set up by Palpatine to trick the heroes into a fake victory.

People were noting that Rey seemed evil for years, before Part 3 revealed that she’s literally the antichrist & Palpatine actually wants her to rule the Neo New Republic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

euphronius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZtzKed3Wbc&t=94s
Hmmm, checks out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Force Awakens doesn’t actually have the same narrative as A New Hope.

There are similar plot points, but it’s actually an inferior remake of Phantom Menace, down to the fact that the comic relief is the protagonist and the villains are all puppets set up by Palpatine to trick the heroes into a fake victory.

People were noting that Rey seemed evil for years, before Part 3 revealed that she’s literally the antichrist & Palpatine actually wants her to rule the Neo New Republic.

This is the funniest option all the more because they clearly desperately wanted to not remind people of the prequels

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the funniest option all the more because they clearly desperately wanted to not remind people of the prequels

It’s even better when you get to the end of TLJ and Luke pulls out his laser sword for the first time in years, beats up his old apprentice who’s actually right about the Republic being bad, and says “begun, the clone wars have!”

All of that is, of course, pretty much exactly what Palpatine wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, can someone check out Ray Parks Instagram and tells me of I'm going crazy?

Edit: Well it's gone now

McCloud fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 25, 2020