Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Motronic posted:

That is not the primary reason they have air travel restrictions. It's because mechanical damage releases that energy violently in the form of smoke and fire, which while not terribly likely, creates an obviously huge problem on a plane in flight. Remember that most air freight (used to) ride in the bottom of passenger flights.

Absolutely (plus the possibility of thermal runaway creating a fire very difficult for the onboard suppression systems to deal with). But what I was referring to was that part of the restrictions are that they are not allowed to ship them fully charged (as I understand it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6 on a true cargo flight that was lost due to Li-Ion battery fire. There are restrictions on SoC, package weight, and lithium quantity. Ever try to put out a Lithium fire? Water doesn't work unless you've got a ton of it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is the absolute fastest way to replace the swivel pegs for a Black & Decker Workmate WM125 woodworking table/bench, either by getting new pegs or using something else that’ll fit in the holes and work as vice grips?

Apparently if I order new pegs from the Black & Decker website, they won’t ship for 2 loving weeks, and I need this poo poo NOW.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

What is the absolute fastest way to replace the swivel pegs for a Black & Decker Workmate WM125 woodworking table/bench, either by getting new pegs or using something else that’ll fit in the holes and work as vice grips?

Apparently if I order new pegs from the Black & Decker website, they won’t ship for 2 loving weeks, and I need this poo poo NOW.

I'm not sure which part is considered the swivel peg but since the whole table is $30 I'd consider either just getting a new one to use, or using the part you need from the box, and returning it in 2 weeks with the parts you have on order back in the box.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm assuming it's those pegs that go in the hole at the top? Measure the hole size and see if you can find wooden dowels of the correct diameter. Or if they are a bit too big you can probably taper them a little with a sander or a file or something

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zip down to your local Do It Right or whatever and get some 3/4” dowel, cut it up. If it wants to fall through, drive a small screw into one side.

I have a couple of those and another goon was working on his and yeah, the holes are just 3/4”.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/Pig_Minted/status/1285312948936876039

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

sharkytm posted:

And yes, I have a lot of Makita:

What are the mounts you have there for the tools?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Synnr posted:

What are the mounts you have there for the tools?

3x3x1/2" thick UHMW angle, all custom made.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'd been asking about sliding miter saws a while back, but now I have new projects that are being done first!

What about hand miter saws/miter boxes? I'm doing some relatively delicate trim work (11/16") and will probably be hand mitering the corner angles. Are there any better hand/manual miter saws than another? Stanley (and the Craftsman rebrand) comes up often, but it looks to be limited to the "preset" angle locks, going by the reviews. If there's anything better I should look for, I have a couple weeks until I'm ready to start the finishing work on this room.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ryobi are finally coming out with a compact 18 volt lineup. Drill, Impact, 3/8ths impact wrench, one handed sawzall, right angle drill, and a cutoff tool. Also a new 1.5 amp hour battery

https://www.ryobitools.com/hp

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

coathat posted:

Ryobi are finally coming out with a compact 18 volt lineup. Drill, Impact, 3/8ths impact wrench, one handed sawzall, right angle drill, and a cutoff tool. Also a new 1.5 amp hour battery

I'm probably not reading something right, but will the old batteries work with the new tools?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm probably not reading something right, but will the old batteries work with the new tools?

Looks like the old batteries still fit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

coathat posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they price this at. Frequently, and right now, Milwaukee has the brushless drill/driver combo and 2 2Ah batteries for $200. The Ryobi kit would have to come in at least $50+ cheaper to make it worthwhile considering the bigger Milwaukee battery and better quality tool.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
None of those really seem all that especially compact? Also they already offered brushless versions of most tools, some of which were significantly smaller than their cheap brushed counterparts, and have had HP+ batteries for several years.

Seems like a pure marketing push.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Compact Vs what they have now.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a reason I should get the 12 gallon version of this versus the 14 gallon if they are the same price? I'm thinking more power, more capacity would be better, but never hurts to ask people who know better, right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...D1402/312452591

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a reason I should get the 12 gallon version of this versus the 14 gallon if they are the same price? I'm thinking more power, more capacity would be better, but never hurts to ask people who know better, right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...D1402/312452591

Does foot print matter? That would be only reason I can think of to get smaller one.

FWIW I have the 16g version on my CNC and it does a great job. Except when I cut MDF, clogs up the filter quick.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

JEEVES420 posted:

Does foot print matter? That would be only reason I can think of to get smaller one.

FWIW I have the 16g version on my CNC and it does a great job. Except when I cut MDF, clogs up the filter quick.
I mean, once I finish working on my house, I would probably just use it occasionally to vacuum the car or doing occasional projects. I certainly won't be using it but a few times a month if that? I don't know anything about shop vacs other than being told I should get one.

I'm leaning towards the 12 gallon, but I'm suffering from a bad case of Tim Taylor syndrome right now. Especially since it's the same price. I wish I could go to a store and see the size difference in person, but they're only offering shipping to my house.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Compact Vs what they have now.

The goon makes a point. THe current line of Ryobi stuff seems about as big as the 20+ year old 12 volt stuff my dad has. The batteries are the same, big and heavy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bioshuffle posted:

I mean, once I finish working on my house, I would probably just use it occasionally to vacuum the car or doing occasional projects. I certainly won't be using it but a few times a month if that? I don't know anything about shop vacs other than being told I should get one.

I'm leaning towards the 12 gallon, but I'm suffering from a bad case of Tim Taylor syndrome right now. Especially since it's the same price. I wish I could go to a store and see the size difference in person, but they're only offering shipping to my house.

I’m assuming the 14 gallon is just taller, but the same footprint. FWIW, I get way more mileage out of my 5 gallon shop vac than the 16 gallon craftsman monstrosity. By the time I haul it around and futz with hose and poo poo I could’ve just grabbed the smaller unit, carried it over, and be done. Same reason I’m looking at an 18v stick vac or dedicated dyson cordless. I’d just start there if I were starting over honestly.

Speaking of 18v, the Makita subcompact line is pretty freaking great if you’re looking for small but powerful.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Well the 14 gallon is roughly 1.5in taller and 2in wider, I doubt you would notice a difference. If you want something more portable then look at the 5-8 gallon range.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My sweet new bench grinder arrived today! I'm going to grind so much poo poo

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m assuming the 14 gallon is just taller, but the same footprint. FWIW, I get way more mileage out of my 5 gallon shop vac than the 16 gallon craftsman monstrosity. By the time I haul it around and futz with hose and poo poo I could’ve just grabbed the smaller unit, carried it over, and be done.

Agreed, and I think the smaller diameter hose on the smaller units is easier to deal with for most tasks, particularly cleaning out a vehicle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone needs a 60gal air compressor Home Depot has their Husky brand on clearance for $280 if you have store that still has stock

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

You can use Brickseek to check local stock
https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inventory-checker/?sku=205389936

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FCKGW posted:

If anyone needs a 60gal air compressor Home Depot has their Husky brand on clearance for $280 if you have store that still has stock

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

For a while that was the only size air compressor my father in law had. It was pretty hilarious to see him drag what seemed like a quarter mile of hose through the house to use a brad nailer on some trim upstairs.

He has since added a pancake compressor so he's not doing that anymore, and not running all four horses to pump up his car tires.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

canyoneer posted:

For a while that was the only size air compressor my father in law had. It was pretty hilarious to see him drag what seemed like a quarter mile of hose through the house to use a brad nailer on some trim upstairs.

He has since added a pancake compressor so he's not doing that anymore, and not running all four horses to pump up his car tires.

$50 bucks gets you an air tank that you can fill up and take with you. It just doesn't refill itself so more ideal for small jobs.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FCKGW posted:

If you're got a bigger shop with several dudes/dudettes or you do air driven painting (such as cup gun on cars), that's a great deal. Otherwise, not so much.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Grinding wheel question...

I‘d like to round off a thin concrete topper on some stairs I’m building. Basically going to mortar together a few of these, and wanted to put a rounded bevel on the tread facing end.

I bought this grinding wheel to chuck in an angle grinder, but I was also looking at getting a diamond cup grinding wheel as well. This is where I’m curious, because the name brands like makita and dewalt charge 4-5x what the chinesium wheels cost, and I fully suspect you get exactly what you’re paying for here.

Would anyone have any advice or recommendations? I’m not a heavy user, but I expect I’d probably like to putz with the wheel on some other concrete projects on down the line, such as a birdbath.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

OSU_Matthew posted:

Grinding wheel question...

I‘d like to round off a thin concrete topper on some stairs I’m building. Basically going to mortar together a few of these, and wanted to put a rounded bevel on the tread facing end.

I bought this grinding wheel to chuck in an angle grinder, but I was also looking at getting a diamond cup grinding wheel as well. This is where I’m curious, because the name brands like makita and dewalt charge 4-5x what the chinesium wheels cost, and I fully suspect you get exactly what you’re paying for here.

Would anyone have any advice or recommendations? I’m not a heavy user, but I expect I’d probably like to putz with the wheel on some other concrete projects on down the line, such as a birdbath.

I wouldn’t put Harbor Freight spinny deathblades on any tool I’m using.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wallaka posted:

This is good advice.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Dewalt and Makita both make well reviewed affordable diamond cups for concrete. I have a 7 inch dewalt cup for my Makita grinder but I am not gonna use it until the vacuum guard gets here.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wallaka posted:

I recently chucked all my hazard fraught cutting wheels my dad had given me, after reading on here or somewhere else that the materials they use are carcinogenic.

Just wasn’t sure about the diamond cup wheels, though I guess it’s probably the same

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I recently chucked all my hazard fraught cutting wheels my dad had given me, after reading on here or somewhere else that the materials they use are carcinogenic.

Just wasn’t sure about the diamond cup wheels, though I guess it’s probably the same

They are only carcinogenic if you live in California.

In all seriousness all bonded abrasive (read the data sheet on any of them and they all have same warnings) are bad to breath, not to mention what you are cutting/grinding. Just wear a proper mask. What you need to worry about with cheap wheels is them shattering and lodging chunks where you don't want.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

JEEVES420 posted:

They are only carcinogenic if you live in California.

In all seriousness all bonded abrasive (read the data sheet on any of them and they all have same warnings) are bad to breath, not to mention what you are cutting/grinding. Just wear a proper mask. What you need to worry about with cheap wheels is them shattering and lodging chunks where you don't want.

There's a difference between bad to breathe and "HAS ASBESTOS".

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

sharkytm posted:

There's a difference between bad to breathe and "HAS ASBESTOS".

Which is not limited to hurr horror freight. 3M, Norton, etc all use dangerous (including asbestos) material in their abrasives. Read the data sheets and wear a proper mask. Don't think because you bought a "name brand" it's any safer to breathe. Worry about cheap discs exploding instead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JEEVES420 posted:

Which is not limited to hurr horror freight. 3M, Norton, etc all use dangerous (including asbestos) material in their abrasives. Read the data sheets and wear a proper mask. Don't think because you bought a "name brand" it's any safer to breathe. Worry about cheap discs exploding instead.

I still like my solution best.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Just lol if you’re not wearing a full bomb suit when operating an angle grinder.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Exploding hyper galaxy nebula brain: be the supervisor, let the grunts use the angle grinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

why use an angle grinder when a die grinder spins twice as fast?