Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HardDiskD posted:

Is that supposed to be a breaker box? :stonk:
Well no, because there are no breakers. I guess there's no real word for it in our language. It's a.. junction.....not box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

HardDiskD posted:

Is that supposed to be a breaker box? :stonk:

As is, it's a junction box without the box where every loving single neutral is shared. Also, check out the drywall underneath and the screw holes in the studs. This abomination was buried in the wall.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I need answers. The twitter replies were of no help (although I did like the one that said it was an eruv).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

As is, it's a junction box without the box where every loving single neutral is shared. Also, check out the drywall underneath and the screw holes in the studs. This abomination was buried in the wall.

The only thing that's actually correct in that entire thing is the bonding on the neutral bar. It's even a real neutral bar. What are you talking about here?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Motronic posted:

The only thing that's actually correct in that entire thing is the bonding on the neutral bar. It's even a real neutral bar. What are you talking about here?

It's a real neutral bar but not where you would ever want one, even if it were in a junction box - shared neutrals cause all sorts of problems with AFCIs that weren't designed for it and will instantly trip GFCI and DFCI/combo breakers.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I need answers. The twitter replies were of no help (although I did like the one that said it was an eruv).

The audio doesn't help, it's just a description of where the cables are. Maybe Nahlaot?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Houses are insured. Are panels?

Checkmate.

:smug:

Oh I get it now. Insurance fraud.

You'd think they'd pick something less obvious, like backstabs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

The audio doesn't help, it's just a description of where the cables are. Maybe Nahlaot?

Probably one of the less gentrified housing projects in Nachlaot, yeah. Google street view shows some interesting wiring jobs and additions around there and that's just on the street-facing sides.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Based on tweets about this monstrosity, the owners designed it themselves, and it's probably within 20 miles of my house.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TheMadMilkman posted:

Based on tweets about this monstrosity, the owners designed it themselves, and it's probably within 20 miles of my house.

:eyepop:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

you could use this house as a movie backdrop for three different location around the U.S.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

By popular demand posted:

you could use this house as a movie backdrop for three different location around the U.S.

But what if it was the movie!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Finally a suitable substitute to Doom House!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Oh I get it now. Insurance fraud.

You'd think they'd pick something less obvious, like backstabs.

Backstabs aren’t inherently bad though right? Just annoying and dumb.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The Dave posted:

Backstabs aren’t inherently bad though right? Just annoying and dumb.

They're pretty bad. Anyone that's replaced enough backstabbed outlets has seen at least one of those connections go bad and melt some insulation or the plastic on the outlet itself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

A house stitched together from the corpses of three other houses, then animated by the spirit of bad architecture.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
What style house should we build?

ALL OF THEM.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Warmachine posted:

Looks like I was halfway there then: my first thought was that the railing needed to be anchored to the side of the house. What I was fishing for was a discussion on proper railing design because it isn't something I've ever had to interact with but seems like something I should know.

Here's a picture of a properly built one:

D-LINK posted:

Like, the person who built that railing in the picture is functionally using side-attached balusters as the structural support for the handrail. This means somewhere in the vicinity of 32 screws and/or nails are the actual support system since those balusters are attached on the outside of the steps. This is a very weak design.

Side attached balusters are decorative, and not meant to carry load, so it must be structurally supported by, say a 4x4 newel post at the foot of the stairs, as well as being physically attached at the top end. Those items are supposed to be what carries the load

Balusters are not just decorative, they serve a function. They are meant to stop anyone (mainly children) from slipping through the side.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Rexxed posted:

But what if it was the movie!

:wow:

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Winchester Mystery House 2.0

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

brugroffil posted:

Balusters are not just decorative, they serve a function. They are meant to stop anyone (mainly children) from slipping through the side.

Which is why kids are notorious for getting their heads stuck in between the balusters. They're usually just narrow enough that a small child can't squeeze their whole body between them, but not so narrow that they can't get their head through.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

tinytort posted:

Which is why kids are notorious for getting their heads stuck in between the balusters. They're usually just narrow enough that a small child can't squeeze their whole body between them, but not so narrow that they can't get their head through.

That is why code is 4" spacing maximum! Any mobile baby's head will be bigger than that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brugroffil posted:

That is why code is 4" spacing maximum! Any mobile baby's head will be bigger than that.

That's the code now, anyway. Lots of older railings out there are wider.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I narc'd out a guy down the street doing an unpermitted addition with really lovely construction (3.5" wide stem wall :psyduck:). I'm exploring my feelings currently, between feeling like an overbearing nosy neighbor but also the professional obligation for HSW protection. The tipping point was when I googled the owner and they came up with a conviction for bike theft. I loving hate bike thieves, and knowing that that bike theft will end up costing them thousands in permit and contractor fees is assuaging my conscience somewhat.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sloppy posted:

I narc'd out a guy down the street doing an unpermitted addition with really lovely construction (3.5" wide stem wall :psyduck:). I'm exploring my feelings currently, between feeling like an overbearing nosy neighbor but also the professional obligation for HSW protection. The tipping point was when I googled the owner and they came up with a conviction for bike theft. I loving hate bike thieves, and knowing that that bike theft will end up costing them thousands in permit and contractor fees is assuaging my conscience somewhat.

If he’s a bike thief he’s lucky you didn’t wait till he finished the building work, firebombed it, waited till he got it rebuilt illegally again, then reported him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

brugroffil posted:

Yes, that's true. It's also true that in some railing configurations, balusters are integral, and so part of the structural support.

I was just explaining why the railing in the op was bad construction, as simply as possible, to the guy who asked

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My friend almost got squished.

The screws extend about 3/4” lol and the cabinets according to the land lady were definitely in the studs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cowofwar posted:

My friend almost got squished.

The screws extend about 3/4” lol and the cabinets according to the land lady were definitely in the studs.

I hate that cheap cabinetry with only the top and bottom nail strips, which are about as likely to fail as the short screws which did. For those playing at home always use a wafer or pan head screw that is at least 2-1/2“. That provides enough bite in the stud thru the drywall, and distributes the force at the head over a larger area.

Why yes I did have a lot of conversations about what screws to use on a large contract.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Check again. There's no feeder for the neutral busbar. This isn't a stand in for a breaker box, it's just a junction box. Neutrals from different phases are only allowed to be joined at the main box, otherwise it makes all kinds of interference that leads to tripping _FCIs and weird voltages. I'd be willing to bet that interference and weird voltages was how this buried mess was discovered.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Screw, hell, I used lag bolts to install my cabinets. I'm not taking chances with that poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
and why not cleats anyway!?

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiNKZWe3kw

Back in high school in 2004 we used to hang out at my buddy's dad's house a lot. I expressed to him that I wanted to go back there and visit his dad. He sent me this video persuading me not to. Definitely some crappy construction near the end.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

tinytort posted:

I used to squeeze my head (and occasionally my whole body, depending on the gap, some of the balusters were bent) through the railing in my elementary school's front yard for fun back in the day. In retrospect it's amazing I never got stuck and also that somehow I was clever enough to only do it when none of the teachers were watching or that they simply didn't care.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

StormDrain posted:

I hate that cheap cabinetry with only the top and bottom nail strips

These cabinets were probably installed better than the ones in all the new build condos around here.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MrChrome posted:

Back in high school in 2004 we used to hang out at my buddy's dad's house a lot. I expressed to him that I wanted to go back there and visit his dad. He sent me this video persuading me not to. Definitely some crappy construction near the end.

What is his forums name

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cowofwar posted:

These cabinets were probably installed better than the ones in all the new build condos around here.

Oh yeah I saw that for sure. Definitely a screw failure or rather a too short of screw with like a thread in the studs at best. And if you look in the back of your cabinet to find a bugle head screw, a box of wafer heads and a half an hour would provide peace of mind to me.

I still hate that design too. How much weight can press board like that really support in the first place, and then we only use a 5" strip. My next cabinets will be plywood.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MrChrome posted:

Wow, that’s...pretty sad. I’m guessing a rough divorce and then, what, alcoholism? Giving up completely, in any case.

e: Based on the fridge, the divorce was a good thing, just maybe not for him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

and why not cleats anyway!?

Mine are hung using French cleats with fasteners at the bottom of the cabinet to prevent it from being accidentally lifted off the cleat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

seems like a good deal

it is not a good deal