Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Beardcrumb posted:

I was browsing FB marketplace for some offcuts and stumbled onto this. Wild.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XAILwTO

Is this a "my grandad was a crazy inventor" kind of situation, or are there proper examples of tablesaw/drill combos?

Yeah that’s some serious jackleg engineering. For $20 though I’d buy it-there’s some good parts in there, just don’t ever actually use it as built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah that’s some serious jackleg engineering. For $20 though I’d buy it-there’s some good parts in there, just don’t ever actually use it as built.

Either the motor or the pillow blocks in that picture are worth the price if it works. I'd buy it if I had room to dismantle it at the time.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I posted a few weeks back about mould growing on my tool board from a leak in the roof. Roof leak is (hopefully) fixed and I've finished sanding everything that got mouldy. Took the opportunity to reorganise the tool board too. Replaced some lovely looking screws with nicer wood brackets where I could. Matias had some good ideas - I particularly liked the pliers rack. https://woodgears.ca/tool_holders/

Everything is now coated in a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turps. Hopefully that's enough to protect everything from ambient moisture.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Granite Octopus posted:

I posted a few weeks back about mould growing on my tool board from a leak in the roof. Roof leak is (hopefully) fixed and I've finished sanding everything that got mouldy. Took the opportunity to reorganise the tool board too. Replaced some lovely looking screws with nicer wood brackets where I could. Matias had some good ideas - I particularly liked the pliers rack. https://woodgears.ca/tool_holders/

Everything is now coated in a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turps. Hopefully that's enough to protect everything from ambient moisture.

I need to change my pants now.

That is amazing.

edit: On the topic of tool racks does anyone have pictures of their storage for lathe chisels, I need to make something to hold my huge set now that I have a lathe.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Beardcrumb posted:

I was browsing FB marketplace for some offcuts and stumbled onto this. Wild.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XAILwTO

Is this a "my grandad was a crazy inventor" kind of situation, or are there proper examples of tablesaw/drill combos?

That looks like the original table saw of 1804 or some Amish rig. There are combo machines for limited space havers.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are there some rules I should follow when using screws in wood? I am making some french cleat shelves and realizing I know nothing about how to use screws with wood other than making a pilot hole.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone recommend a project guide for a computer desk? I'm thinking I'd like to build my own.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

Are there some rules I should follow when using screws in wood? I am making some french cleat shelves and realizing I know nothing about how to use screws with wood other than making a pilot hole.

The more threads you have biting into the wood, the stronger the fastening force...though remember that a significant amount of the force holding a piece up against the wall is the static friction between it and the wall. That is, the biggest job the screw has is to clamp your piece against the wall. That takes load off of the screw shaft, which is strong but brittle.

I don't have any rules of thumb for what size of screw to use, or when to switch to lag bolts (beyond "I really don't want this to fall down"). You can find screw strength tables if you look for 'em; I mostly just buy boxes of 1.5" / 2.5" / 3.5" #8 star-drive deck screws and use them for everything.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Anyone got any recomendations on a router lift / table plate / etc?

I'd like to just turn one of the wings of my 15? foot miter station into a router table

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

first experiment with making french cleat shelves for my roommate who didnt give me any directions on where or how they wanted a shelf. so i just made the french cleat where they can move the shelf around or add more to their liking:

All i have is a handheld jigsaw and a regular saw so pardon my uneven cut (cutting at 45* is hard), but i think it looks cool in the end. Next step is to finish priming and coating the thing. It doesn't look like it in the pictures, but my spirit level shows both shelves as being level when seated properly.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ughhhh posted:

Follow the instructions on the box of screws, most tell you if they are self-tapping or if you need a pilot hole (and exactly what diameter hole you should make)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sockser posted:

Anyone got any recomendations on a router lift / table plate / etc?

I'd like to just turn one of the wings of my 15? foot miter station into a router table

I just ordered a JessEm 02310 for my table saw wing project...or a free standing table I keep flip flopping.

Is your miter station against a wall? Seems kinda awkward to have router station against a wall as it limits your movement some.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

JEEVES420 posted:

Is your miter station against a wall? Seems kinda awkward to have router station against a wall as it limits your movement some.

It is against a wall, but I can't think of any scenario where I'd need all that much room behind the table ?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I have had to put an edge on some pretty long and curvy pieces that against a wall would of prevented. But you're right, that is kinda rare, depending on what you're normally making.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Did some work on an outfeed table for my tablesaw today, figured I'd show it off.

http://imgur.com/a/H6izMCl

In my defense, I'm terribly dumb.

(To that end, how do you get an image url off of the imgur mobile app? Why does it get harder to use imgur every 3 months?)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Your outfeed table is trash. Absolute garbage. And maybe some recycling?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bad Munki posted:

Your outfeed table is trash. Absolute garbage. And maybe some recycling?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My chip collection keeps clogging at the intake port. Do chips of this size indicate that I need to sharpen my planer blades?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Jaded Burnout posted:

My chip collection keeps clogging at the intake port. Do chips of this size indicate that I need to sharpen my planer blades?

Clearly it means you need to invest in a helical cutter head to make smaller chips for you

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If my experience with hand planes tells me anything, it's that whenever you ask yourself "should I sharpen this?", the answer is "yes, and a bit sooner too". I don't know much about power thickness planers, or even if it's viable to sharpen them yourself at all, but sharpening can't hurt I guess.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rt4 posted:

Does anyone recommend a project guide for a computer desk? I'm thinking I'd like to build my own.

Maybe https://woodgears.ca/student-desk/index.html although Matthias' projects tend to depend on having all the machines available.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Squibbles posted:

Clearly it means you need to invest in a helical cutter head to make smaller chips for you

:negative:

Just Winging It posted:

If my experience with hand planes tells me anything, it's that whenever you ask yourself "should I sharpen this?", the answer is "yes, and a bit sooner too". I don't know much about power thickness planers, or even if it's viable to sharpen them yourself at all, but sharpening can't hurt I guess.

They are resharpenable, yeah. This is they:
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-hss-260mm-planer-knives-pkt3-101568

quote:

Made from T1 HSS and re-sharpenable many times

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Chips look normal to me. Intake port looks like it's got some weird things inside it to make it catch stuff more easily though

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah like HDS said it looks like there are some funny nubs on the intake that are catching things.

Two other things you can try are taking smaller cuts (shallower depth of cut per pass) and using a slower feed rate if that is adjustable. Feeding one board at a time instead of multiple helps too.

I don’t think sharpness is the problem here (if anything dull knives might make smaller chips) but as ballpark, I change my HSS planer knives about once a year. They’re still usually pretty sharp, and I plane plenty of hard oak and maple and sapele. You shouldn’t need to sharpen them after a workbench worth of soft pine.

E: I ran my 24”, straight knife planer on a small 1HP Harbor freight Dust collector for a while and it basically did fine as long as I used the slowest feed rate. You should be able to run that machine on that collector without any huge headaches.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 26, 2020

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ve found softer pine make larger chips like that. They tend to clog up my cyclone and hoses heaps quicker because they are so light and whispy. Emptying my buckets well before they are full to keep the suction up seems to help but I think it’s just the type of wood tbh.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Squibbles posted:

The Powermatic jointer with helical head at my makerspace clogs all the time, the planer on the other hand never does. :iiam:

Jaded, does your planer actively blow out chips without the dust collector sucking them out? Are the chips "sticky" to the touch? They could just be hitting each other and sticking to the fins in the outlet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Chips look normal to me. Intake port looks like it's got some weird things inside it to make it catch stuff more easily though

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah like HDS said it looks like there are some funny nubs on the intake that are catching things.

JEEVES420 posted:

They could just be hitting each other and sticking to the fins in the outlet.

That's the outlet from the planer, and those are what I assume are airflow fins, and while they do catch some chips they're not the main problem. The main problem is the inlet on the cyclone (not pictured) which does have an inverted-radiation-symbol-shaped guard on it which I'm loathe to cut off.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Two other things you can try are taking smaller cuts (shallower depth of cut per pass) and using a slower feed rate if that is adjustable. Feeding one board at a time instead of multiple helps too.

Depth of cut could be an issue, this was while cutting a lot of material at 2mm DoC. Feed rate isn't adjustable, was feeding one at a time.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t think sharpness is the problem here (if anything dull knives might make smaller chips) but as ballpark, I change my HSS planer knives about once a year. They’re still usually pretty sharp, and I plane plenty of hard oak and maple and sapele. You shouldn’t need to sharpen them after a workbench worth of soft pine.

Interesting that you only change them that infrequently. I did give them a bit of a fingertip and paper test and they feel kinda dull to me.

JEEVES420 posted:

Jaded, does your planer actively blow out chips without the dust collector sucking them out? Are the chips "sticky" to the touch?

It doesn't actively blow them out, other than from the spinning of the blade cradle. They're not sticky-feeling.

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve found softer pine make larger chips like that. They tend to clog up my cyclone and hoses heaps quicker because they are so light and whispy. Emptying my buckets well before they are full to keep the suction up seems to help but I think it’s just the type of wood tbh.

I've been trying to keep on top of it, it's currently only half full, and I think it's largely about them catching at the intake guard and not breaking up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is the underside of the intake.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Both dust collectors I've owned (bought used) had that guard cut off, probably because of clogging. Just need to be careful you don't suck up big things that will damage your impeller.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those are put there by lawyers to keep your fingers out of the fan and have to be removed by the user ime. DCs will do fine on dust from saws with them on but are hopeless with chips.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Interesting that you only change them that infrequently. I did give them a bit of a fingertip and paper test and they feel kinda dull to me.
It's possible they didn't come super sharp from the factory? Blades/knives that come with stuff aren't always the best. They are easy enough to lightly touch up in the (unplugged) cutterhead with very fine diamond stones. They also move really really fast and don't have to be as sharp as you might think (think router bits) Setting up joiner knives is a chore so I wouldn't go too crazy.

I use some fancy swiss TERSA knives because that's what my planer takes, but they are still just HSS. I priced carbide and they're like $800/set, lol. HSS works for me. They really last well and give a good cut but $$$ (like $150/set for HSS?) and not resharpenable. The planer I used at my old shop had cheap-ish disposable knives and we only went about 6 months (but that planer was also only running 2 knives?) with them.

Usually the symptoms of dull knives are:
1) Loud as hell-Sounds more like the knives are beating the wood than cutting it
2) Poor surface finish-either lots of tearout or the wood looks very dull. Very sharp knives will leave a shiny, silky finish (but not for long)
3) Small chips-lots of small dusty chips instead of big shavings.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those are put there by lawyers to keep your fingers out of the fan and have to be removed by the user ime. DCs will do fine on dust from saws with them on but are hopeless with chips.

Sounds like I have a date with a cut-off wheel.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's possible they didn't come super sharp from the factory? Blades/knives that come with stuff aren't always the best. They are easy enough to lightly touch up in the (unplugged) cutterhead with very fine diamond stones. They also move really really fast and don't have to be as sharp as you might think (think router bits)

They *claim* "razor sharp" but who knows.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Setting up joiner knives is a chore so I wouldn't go too crazy.

This one seems OK because it's spring loaded and comes with a setting jig, but I guess I won't know until I have to do it.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I use some fancy swiss TERSA knives because that's what my planer takes, but they are still just HSS. I priced carbide and they're like $800/set, lol. HSS works for me. They really last well and give a good cut but $$$ (like $150/set for HSS?) and not resharpenable. The planer I used at my old shop had cheap-ish disposable knives and we only went about 6 months (but that planer was also only running 2 knives?) with them.

Seems like HSS is £40 and TCT around £90 for these, but I'm getting good finish with the HSS.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Usually the symptoms of dull knives are:
1) Loud as hell-Sounds more like the knives are beating the wood than cutting it
2) Poor surface finish-either lots of tearout or the wood looks very dull. Very sharp knives will leave a shiny, silky finish (but not for long)
3) Small chips-lots of small dusty chips instead of big shavings.

I think it's OK for now. At the very least I'll wait until the workbench is finished, and see what removing the finger guard does. Which, btw, I've already had my fingers whacked by the impeller twice from the other side, though not while it's actively running.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Father in law had a chainsaw mill attachment (two actually, I took the smaller one and the longer one will make its way here eventually) and I finally got to give it a spin. Holy cow that’s awesome. I was expecting way more sweat and back breaking labor. Instead, it’s just a casual lean forward against the rig and it slowly melts through the log.

It surely helps that I have a special ripping chain, but it also hinders that the late 70s/early 80s rancher I put in it is a bit underpowered for the task. Nonetheless, it was fun and easy and I can’t wait to do more. Bummed I got rained out right after finishing my first cut, but it’s ready now and I’m no longer dreading the work.

Already thinking about a bigger saw. Aside from more power, a few more inches on the bar would be ace, this was already at my limit.

The two big logs I have here are both walnut. The one I was cutting on here is 18” by 5’ with a crotch at one end, and the other is 16” by 9’, and pretty drat clear and straight.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Granite Octopus posted:

This looks great. What is that thing in the upper middle-left?

Bad Munki posted:

Father in law had a chainsaw mill attachment

That's really cool. How do you keep the ladder from wobbling while cutting? It looks like you cut some channels into it, but I can't imagine you do that for every cut. Does it just sit flat after the first cut?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Drilled holes through a couple rungs and screwed it to the log. The cuts in the log were just to give me a flat surface to screw against, and to accommodate the rungs because I wanted to set it a little lower into the log.

Anyhow, I'm about halfway through the log now, and I just got to this layer. It's going to be a sign for the workshop. My last name is Short, so of course it'll read "The Short Wood Shop"

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 28, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Hahaha... that’s a really short sign. I laughed aloud and got looked at like I was crazy.

That’s some really pretty wood you have though, I hope it dries out for you really well.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Drilled holes through a couple rungs and screwed it to the log. The cuts in the log were just to give me a flat surface to screw against, and to accommodate the rungs because I wanted to set it a little lower into the log.

Anyhow, I'm about halfway through the log now, and I just got to this layer. It's going to be a sign for the workshop. My last name is Short, so of course it'll read "The Short Wood Shop"

:lol: :perfect:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jhet posted:

Hahaha... that’s a really short sign. I laughed aloud and got looked at like I was crazy.

That’s some really pretty wood you have though, I hope it dries out for you really well.

It's been sitting as logs in my trailer up off the ground for about a year now. And I got it from a neighbor when the wind blew the tree down (huge fuckin' walnut tree, like a 3' trunk), so I think it may have pre-dried for who knows how long before that. No checking at all that I can see, I can only assume it's because of the potentially very long time drying on the vine. Certainly no perceptible juices coming out while slabbing it.

I'll haul it down to the shop and park it in a corner there for another year or two, we'll see what happens. I'm in no rush to use it, I don't even know what I want it for. Except a sign, obviously.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This looks great. What is that thing in the upper middle-left?

Thanks! I assume you mean the plough plane because it’s kind of hard to see.

It’s a record 043 for light duty ploughing. I mostly use it for creating grooves for plywood drawer bottoms. I was actually using it last night for some new drawers for my assembly bench. Heaps of fun to use and really quick at its job. Probably one of my favourite planes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

How do you keep the ladder from wobbling while cutting? It looks like you cut some channels into it, but I can't imagine you do that for every cut. Does it just sit flat after the first cut?

Just realized I missed the second half of this question. The first cut uses the ladder, which is screwed to the log. It’s just there to provide a flat surface for the rig to ride on. After that, yeah, you just use the previously cut surface as the guide. Works great, I’ll get some process pics from the next log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

Lol that's great.

I was really surprised how light the wood was-not at all that fresh walnut purple-but maybe that's because it's so dry? Almost looks more like European walnut than American black walnut. Really really pretty either way. In my very limited experience walnut dries very well, and I'd imagine it being a little dry already probably helps even more.