Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I just realized something really horrifying about the latest Katalepsis chapter: if the thing with Zheng ever becomes romantic on Heather's side Cannibal Holocaust would be the perfect date night movie, and holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Anyone who longs for the He Who Fights With Monsters early chapters, I highly recommend you ignore the title and try out Dungeon Crawler Carl. It’s a comedy LitRPG where the Earth is turned into a Reality show dungeon crawl. The humor flows well with the circumstances of the story and doesn’t feel forced at all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Silynt posted:

Anyone who longs for the He Who Fights With Monsters early chapters, I highly recommend you ignore the title and try out Dungeon Crawler Carl. It’s a comedy LitRPG where the Earth is turned into a Reality show dungeon crawl. The humor flows well with the circumstances of the story and doesn’t feel forced at all.

DCC is way more depressing than funny.

This is all explained a couple of chapters in but spoilers
The basic conceit is that evil megacorps turn whole worlds into dungeons as an excuse to strip mine them. The dungeons are then populated by sentient creatures grown specifically to be "monsters" that the former inhabitants of the world fight with for the right to get their world back. Only no one has made it even 2/3 of the way through the dungeon to get their world back, ever. And it just gets worse from there.

That said, it is reasonably well written and I did enjoy the parts I didn't loathe everything about the world.

Warning a cat plays a major role.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

LLSix posted:

The basic conceit is that evil megacorps turn whole worlds into dungeons as an excuse to strip mine them. The dungeons are then populated by sentient creatures grown specifically to be "monsters" that the former inhabitants of the world fight with for the right to get their world back. Only no one has made it even 2/3 of the way through the dungeon to get their world back, ever. And it just gets worse from there.

That said, it is reasonably well written and I did enjoy the parts I didn't loathe everything about the world.

Interesting. While it’s definitely a dark comedy, your reaction to the universe created was clearly more viscerally unpleasant than mine - “loathe” is a much stronger word than I would use. The whole thing is a pretty heavy handed commentary on the evils of capitalism, but like you said it is relatively well written so I can understand how it would bother some people more than it affected me. Admittedly, I’ve only read about half of what’s been released so maybe it gets worse.

Thanks for replying! I definitely did not feel like I had said enough words to sell the series so thanks for following up

Silynt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 26, 2020

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LLSix posted:

Existential horror is kind of Matt Dinniman’s thing. His other LitRPG stuff, Dominion of Blades and Battlefield Kaiju Surgeon both have awful implications and the non-LitRPG stuff I’ve read is lots of cosmic body horror.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

navyjack posted:

Existential horror is kind of Matt Dinniman’s thing. His other LitRPG stuff, Dominion of Blades and Battlefield Kaiju Surgeon both have awful implications and the non-LitRPG stuff I’ve read is lots of cosmic body horror.

I didn't realize Dinniman was the author of DCC. I remember seeing an interview where he mentioned he told his mom that he loves her support but she should give a pass to Kaiju Surgeon, which of course meant I had to read it. Looking back on it I can see how you lose some of the impact of DCC in the serialized format where you're not reading it all in one go, at least compared to how Kaiju played out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I read all of Carl over this weekend and yes the overall theme is grim but I've also read all of wildbow's serials so Carl's not as bad because it's basically all off camera.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

I read all of Carl over this weekend and yes the overall theme is grim but I've also read all of wildbow's serials so Carl's not as bad because it's basically all off camera.

Lol read Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon. Not off camera.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just realized something really horrifying about the latest Katalepsis chapter: if the thing with Zheng ever becomes romantic on Heather's side Cannibal Holocaust would be the perfect date night movie, and holy poo poo.

I'm extremely doubtful that Heather would be able to sit through that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Given how absolutely horrifying some of the stuff they handily deal with is, I suppose it's easy to forget that when she's not barfing up primordial ocean or defragmenting her biology to match her weirdo alien dreamscape, Heather's a pretty normal person.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Megazver posted:

I mean, I like comedy as much as anybody, but I think HWFWM at the moment is still... fine? As for what he's doing, he's obviously setting up pieces for the second book.
I agree with others that the huge number of abilities in play (base 20 abilities per person * 6 party members, and then some of the items have abilities too, and then you add in the familiars...) is a big mistake that fucks with the flow of combat. There's just too much poo poo going on that has to be detailed and explained, including with charts. You always have a bunch of "and then X and Y and Z were also contributing their blah blah blah attacks" which is battle fluff that can't be removed: you have to mention what people are contributing on some level, but you can't detail everything without spending an even more absurd number of words on each fight, so you end up with a kind of awkward compromise.

Contrast that with another dumb nerd progression fantasy I read, Cradle. In Cradle, fighters each have a "path", and each path only has a handful of abilities, so the combat prose doesn't have to spend much time constantly detailing new abilities, it can focus on how each fighter is choosing to use their abilities in a particular fight, and it makes those battles flow soooo much better than HWFWM. Obviously Cradle is far from the only series to do this, it's just the one that comes to mind as a clear contrast.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know of a LitRPG with a cyborg or robot main character? I was brainstorming the other day and thought it could make a neat justification for why the MC has levels and stats without needing to stat out everyone else.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Just wanted to say I have been really enjoying Katalepsis recently.

Twil owns and I liked the change of scenery to a rural location.

Someone needs to talk to Zheng about her language though. Calling everyone a monkey might have been okay back in the day but in 21st century UK she is getting cancelled for sure.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Lot 49 posted:

Just wanted to say I have been really enjoying Katalepsis recently.

Yeah, last week's chapter was just about the most wholesome combination of gay women and tentacles ever.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm just glad an old favourite character's coming back. :3:

Edit: also mrsha you loving brat

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Beautiful bonus chapter for PracGuide today. ErraticErrata is so loving good at writing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've been recently checking out a search on Royal Road to try and find some new stuff to read and I came across a couple that were decent enough I figured I'd post here.

Artificial Jelly

quote:

Born to die and be born again, Gell, the Jellyfae must discover her strange connection to the horrible monsters called humans, that speak with words she understands, but seem to want nothing but her death.

Gell is a sentient dungeon mob in a VRMMO. She's the only one apparently, as none of the other occupants of her Dungeon Home seem to break their cycles or their instincts, like she can. Things are quiet and simple, until one day a group of players finds her dungeon and things get complicated. It's a VRMMO story, so it will likely get into litRPG stuff, but it's very light, bordering non-existent, in the 20 chapters (10 are on the author's Patreon Discord) so far.

Interdimensional Garbage Merchant

quote:

Maya Sullivan was just an ordinary college student working for her parents, when Earth is Integrated into the System. Instead of finding herself stuck in a post-apocalyptic world of monsters and magic, Maya is trapped in a dimensional plane that's filled with its own horrors. 

While the rest of the world battles a world turned upside down. Maya is alone and afraid. With only a food truck and a crowbar as her companions. 

(I only went back a month to see if anyone else has mentioned this or Artificial Jelly and didn't see anything, but this one's a few months old so maybe it's already come up?)

This one is heavily litRPG. The dimensional plane that Maya gets trapped on seems to be a dumping ground of sorts, with mountains of scrap and mechanics. It's also incredibly dangerous for Maya. While she gets a couple perks from surviving what should have been a practically assured death, she's very much out of her league and has plenty to struggle against.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 5, 2020

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
I'll second Interdimensional Garbage Merchant. There was a kerfluffle over the title being inaccurate, so I'll note that book one is getting to becoming a merchant. Book 1 just finished and Book 2 will be starting on Friday.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just started a new litrpg. The MMO it describes has 50 million players, and is gaining 1.4 million players per month.

Originally, I was going to mock how impossible that was, but after reviewing WoW’s population growth, it seems like an oddly realistic power fantasy.

World of Warcraft peaked at about 12 million, adding about 1 million players every quarter (12 million after 4 years with a fairly steady growth rate). Interestingly, this is not enough to even make Wikipedia’s list of the 50 most popular games.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Onean posted:

I've been recently checking out a search on Royal Road to try and find some new stuff to read and I came across a couple that were decent enough I figured I'd post here.

Artificial Jelly

Gell is a sentient dungeon mob in a VRMMO. She's the only one apparently, as none of the other occupants of her Dungeon Home seem to break their cycles or their instincts, like she can. Things are quiet and simple, until one day a group of players finds her dungeon and things get complicated. It's a VRMMO story, so it will likely get into litRPG stuff, but it's very light, bordering non-existent, in the 20 chapters (10 are on the author's Patreon Discord) so far.

I'm enjoying this one a lot so far; I just want Gell to make friends with the players and have fun times with them

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The renaming in Artificial Jelly is great and I hope things turn around for the poor thing soon.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Artificial Jelly does this common amateur web author thing where the story is super cutesy, but also dipping into grimdark angst at the same time. I am usually not a fan. It's not too bad so far but I think I'll wait until it has fifty chapters or so before I read any further.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Okay, I'm out. Story I was reading kept forgetting what class the main character was. Kept switching between "warlock" and "necro." I just... who pays money for books where the author can't even remember what stuff is called for a whole chapter?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cicero posted:

Beautiful bonus chapter for PracGuide today. ErraticErrata is so loving good at writing.

This.

I really like Prac Guide but I am super excited for their next project whatever that might be. I think they've really grown as a writer over the course of the story - most of the basic issues in their prose have gone away (outside of too much thinking in not enough time) and they're starting to play with the structure of language in cool ways. Plus the story itself has involved a tremendous amount of growth from standard YA coming of age fantasy to something that deals much better with complexity and multiple perspectives.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LLSix posted:

Okay, I'm out. Story I was reading kept forgetting what class the main character was. Kept switching between "warlock" and "necro." I just... who pays money for books where the author can't even remember what stuff is called for a whole chapter?
Can't even understand a necrowarlock, for shame.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, technically speaking, a necromancer and a warlock could be two words for the same thing in that world. Even in D&D 'necromancer' is technically a wizard sub-class.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I really like Prac Guide but I am super excited for their next project whatever that might be. I think they've really grown as a writer over the course of the story - most of the basic issues in their prose have gone away (outside of too much thinking in not enough time) and they're starting to play with the structure of language in cool ways. Plus the story itself has involved a tremendous amount of growth from standard YA coming of age fantasy to something that deals much better with complexity and multiple perspectives.

PracGuide and Pith are probably the only web serials I've read where something about them makes it very easy for me to remember all the major arcs. PracGuide in particular is extremely good at creating memorable scenes (Pith is more strong in terms of creating memorable characters and a sense of how those characters change).

I'm really loving the current arc due to all the non-hostile (or only semi-hostile) interaction between Named. The only thing that is a little tough to swallow is Catherine's ludicrous proficiency at manipulating Named, though it can kinda be explained as "Catherine is essentially a prodigy at understanding narratives and how they influence the world, and Named are individuals who strongly conform to those narratives so she can easily predict their behavior."

It was kinda funny/interesting seeing how Catherine and Grey Pilgrim are basically on the same page about stuff like making Red Axe an undead being necessary, whereas most heroes would not be okay with that. Grey Pilgrim is probably the hero most similar to Catherine in terms of mindset and goals and probably one of the only heroes (other than maybe Roland) who has a similar perspective on why the Accords are a good ideaa.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wait a minute, what the eff. Apparently in HWFWM patreon land Jason isn't even in isekai world anymore, he's running around solving a mystery in Sydney? I haven't actually read the chapters, but that sounds like just a ludicrously bad idea.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, we just had the first Sydney chapter on RR, without Jason so far. Apparently the gubmint is on the case of the weird magic poo poo starting to happen and there are probably Builder shenanigans starting on Earth.

It seemed like an interesting enough set-up. There are some cool scenes that can be done with it, like Jason dealing with his family poo poo now that he's self-actualized and him showing off his cool powers to muggles and people actually getting to watch all the recordings he made. It all depends on the execution and generally speaking the author has been decent to good at that so far.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 8, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, I think it's actually a very good idea.

The story is at its best when it's either being funny or focusing on the character interactions. Putting Jason alone on a world where he is probably the absolute strongest person bar none is a great way to escape the pull of "epic" fights.

Bring on that family drama. Have Jason solve mysteries and grapple with corrupt organizations.These are all things the story has done well before, and it's a huge improvement from the slog at the end of the first arc.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I think what you described would definitely be fun- Funny Jerk Plays Against Genre in the first 40 or so chapters was definitely the high point of what I read. Granted I skipped the vast majority of the back half and only picked it back up when I heard how harshly the interludes were swerving the narrative, but I think my primary concern is that given how plodding and aimless a lot of the story felt after that initial burst, my immediate, perhaps excessively-pessimistic assumption was that things were moving to Sydney because the author was out of ideas and wanted to try writing an urban conspiracy thriller.

Either way, I hope it goes well for them- writing serials is brutal and thankless, and it's never fun to see a promising story nosedive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll eat a hat (a chocolate one that I'll buy just in case of this emergency) if a) half of the narrative isn't going to still be the rest of Jason's crew and b) if the narratives aren't going to link up somehow eventually.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The top rated story on RR is a story that has been complete for months. Lol.

To be fair, Mother of Learning earned that spot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just a Bystander is the more Mother of Learning I desperately wanted. It is amazing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LLSix posted:

Just a Bystander is the more Mother of Learning I desperately wanted. It is amazing.

Six chapters in and it’s just pretty boring classes with cardboard characters? Does it improve soon or is it just not for me?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Affi posted:

Six chapters in and it’s just pretty boring classes with cardboard characters? Does it improve soon or is it just not for me?

Chapter 7 has the first magical fight. Unfortunately it's the weakest magic fight in the series so far. I read it in one wild gulp so I had to go back and look. It does ramp up, but I don't think it really changes. It's strongly focused on describing mechanics and then showing how they can be bent, abused, or outright broken. May just not be for you.

I thought chapter 3 (precision matters) was pretty good. It solidly establishes how awesome a top tier arcanist is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Affi posted:

Having read all the released chapters, characters are still pretty bland.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 10, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Having now caught up to wandering inn I have to say I did like the battle in the clown chapters.

But what really made me laugh was Mrshas letter to Ryoka.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Worth the Candle just dropped several new chapters. Been like three months since the last drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The recent PracGuide chapter was pretty depressing. The part where Hakram mentioned his name weakening as a direct result of Catherine's perception of him must have hit really hard, since it's definitely true and makes perfect sense.

I was upset when I reached the end of the chapter and realized I had caught up, since I'm really curious to find out what Scribe is there for. I'm guessing passing some sort of message from Black.