Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Brute Squad posted:

seems like a good deal

it is not a good deal

I know what you're thinking and sure you could burn down your house on the cheap, but a match is cheaper still.
Pro tip: you can ask to borrow a lighter for a moment and burn the house for no money at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

By popular demand posted:

Pro tip: you can ask to borrow a lighter for a moment and burn the house for no money at all.

Plus, free lighter.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If you trap the owner of said lighter in the burning ruin, yeah.
:thumbsup: #Liffheacks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I need answers. The twitter replies were of no help (although I did like the one that said it was an eruv).

I don't know the story on this one, but there was pictures from a similar situation in China a while back. One company had the right to run cables through a spot, and another company had the right to build a residential structure there. Neither company was willing to pay to reroute the cables safely around the structure so the cables were running right through apartments and a stairwell. The apartments were pre-sold, so the new owners arrived in their brand new apartments with no clue about the cable dispute.

It could also be a result of a "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" situation where something was built without all the proper permissions and a utility company that had the legal right to a pass through that airspace pushed ahead despite the construction of living space. Nobody is willing to negotiate so you end up with chaos.

A similar thing happened in Egypt recently with the Teraet Al-Zomor Bridge. A property developer built condos right up to the edge of the property line, no set back. A bridge, planned for a while, is being built 50cm away from the condos, again right up to the property line. The individual units are all privately owned by people who claim they were told the construction had all the proper permissions and had no warning a highway was going to be an arm's length from their balconies. The state says the buildings are illegal, the owners say they have permits from 2008. Or, uh, something like that.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1673876/middle-east

quote:

CAIRO: Construction work on a bridge built a hairline away from residential apartment buildings in Cairo has sent social media abuzz.

However, sources at the Ministry of Housing said that four buildings, which are ultra-close to Teraet Al-Zomor Bridge, were actually built in violation of the law.

quote:

Mahmoud Nassar, head of the Central Agency for Construction in Egypt, said that the bridge was crucial and will be useful to the neighborhood.

Regarding the buildings that are now a whisker away from the bridge, Nassar said around 50 centimeters separates them from the bridge. He added that a specialized committee from the Land Survey Authority and from the governorate had been set up to survey all the buildings constructed on the path of the axis, in order to compensate residents who have not committed any housing violations.

He said 250 million Egyptian pounds had been allocated to compensate residents of the buildings to be demolished.

The residents objected to the bridge’s construction because of its proximity, and also because the height of the bridge blocks the view of residents living on the first few floors.

The owner of one building affected by the bridge construction, Hazem Ezzat Qassem, called those who claimed that the buildings were unlicensed “liars.” He said the buildings were issued licenses from Al-Omranyea in 2008 permitting construction.

“We do not object to the project since it is a national project,” Qassem said. “But compensation must be given to store owners and apartment owners of the first six floors.”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just imagine how easy it will be to get all your groceries from the car, that's added value for your property!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

A similar thing happened in Egypt recently with the Teraet Al-Zomor Bridge. A property developer built condos right up to the edge of the property line, no set back. A bridge, planned for a while, is being built 50cm away from the condos, again right up to the property line. The individual units are all privately owned by people who claim they were told the construction had all the proper permissions and had no warning a highway was going to be an arm's length from their balconies. The state says the buildings are illegal, the owners say they have permits from 2008. Or, uh, something like that.

I'd be selling drinks and poo poo to people sitting in traffic jams.

MrChrome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiNKZWe3kw

Back in high school in 2004 we used to hang out at my buddy's dad's house a lot. I expressed to him that I wanted to go back there and visit his dad. He sent me this video persuading me not to. Definitely some crappy construction near the end.

I was listening to Laffy Taffy on Youtube, and put it on mute to watch this.
I want that 52 seconds back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tinytort posted:

Which is why kids are notorious for getting their heads stuck in between the balusters. They're usually just narrow enough that a small child can't squeeze their whole body between them, but not so narrow that they can't get their head through.

I just remembered when my nephew was playing on the stairs and my sister told him to cut it out because he'd fall off and he said "that's what we're going for here" and fell off the stairs. (The handrail is just iron pipe without balusters. I don't think one like it could be built nowadays.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

drat gophers got ambitious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ladies will love its sunken tub.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Insure your homes against fire, kids.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
:ninja: house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Poking around on google maps and saw this housing development going in near me. I know how it's supposed to work but it's still freaking me out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Something about how organised and symmetrical this is creeps me out, I'm used to city blocks kinda growing uncontrollably next to each other.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

FCKGW posted:

Poking around on google maps and saw this housing development going in near me. I know how it's supposed to work but it's still freaking me out.

On the plus side, no yard work. Better hope that the neighbors aren’t assholes - odds are the sound insulation will be poo poo and you’ll be able to hear anything above a conversation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FCKGW posted:

How is it supposed to work :confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How is it supposed to work :confused:

Those are all single family homes but there's like one big shared driveway. They're called "six packs" by the builder
Here's what it looks like while being built

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 26, 2020

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Every garage is a hyperloop elevator, of course

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

FCKGW posted:

this is downright lovecraftian

also

Sentient Data posted:

Every garage is a hyperloop elevator, of course

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'd rather live in the woods next to a retention pond. Jesus that's neighborhood cancer.

Every house comes with its own Live.Laugh.Love. sign because only the most basic suburbanites would ever occupy that poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm also certain that those suburbs are food deserts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Love it when all my windows face directly into my neighbours' walls.

Why even bother having separate units at that point, just build a new Kowloon walled city

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm also certain that those suburbs are food deserts.

Regular deserts too; barely a spot of green in that pic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

we have those going up in the city I'm in on lots where a gas station used to be or whatever. For the price of the ones here they better be loving soundproof

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Regular deserts too; barely a spot of green in that pic.

These are all in old dairy farms in SoCal so yeah, desert chaparral that was turned into fertilizer and cow poo poo pastures, now a great place to raise a family.

At least all new housing here has to have solar and can only be landscaped with native plants, no lawns allowed. (buyer is free to put in their own lawn after the fact however)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's a planned community near me called "The Preserve" that completely surrounds an active dairy farm. You can see the pools of liquid cow poo poo in the bottom left of the farm. White building in the middle is a very fancy school.
High voltage power lines cut diagonally through the development there. Oh and there's an airport just north as well.

Houses start at $500k.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo thats Chino at the top left. Those people are in for a hell of a surprise. poo poo, there’s a warbird fly-in or air show going on in the current google satellite image.

:roflolmao:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FCKGW posted:

Christ; they're right on top of each other.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A master switch AND individual physical disconnects? Sounds almost TOO safe.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
I just want to know where the Romex's go.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thought this was a Pickle Rick sculpture when I first saw it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Here's a planned community near me called "The Preserve" that completely surrounds an active dairy farm. You can see the pools of liquid cow poo poo in the bottom left of the farm. White building in the middle is a very fancy school.
High voltage power lines cut diagonally through the development there. Oh and there's an airport just north as well.

Houses start at $500k.

I have to remind myself when people talk about how horrible the suburbs are, these are the kinds of developments they are talking about. I live in an older suburb, but we have 1.5 acre lots, lots of mature trees between/on properties, no HOA, and different looking houses.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

B-Nasty posted:

I have to remind myself when people talk about how horrible the suburbs are, these are the kinds of developments they are talking about. I live in an older suburb, but we have 1.5 acre lots, lots of mature trees between/on properties, no HOA, and different looking houses.

A suburb with 1.5 acre lots is a worse suburb than one with 50' x 100' lots, because the one with 1.5 acre lots requires a car. Older streetcar suburbs were packed together in grid fashion so that they could access public transportation and were walkable to neighborhood shops and services.

Obviously the housing developments posted above are awful, ugly, and also require a car (though the "houses around a central court" thing can work well if the court is green space and not just a parking lot) but in general more density is a good thing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Youth Decay posted:

A suburb with 1.5 acre lots is a worse suburb than one with 50' x 100' lots, because the one with 1.5 acre lots requires a car.

That’s one hot take

And opposite of the preferences of basically everyone who isn’t living in a large walkable city

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I live in a 1950's suburb with 5k sqft lots and it still requires a car to get much of anywhere...mostly because it's really hilly though. There is a legit grocery store and other shopping about half a mile from my house, but I wouldn't want to walk it regularly. At least there's like three bus stops within a perfectly reasonable/flat distance.

CarForumPoster posted:

That’s one hot take

And opposite of the preferences of basically everyone who isn’t living in a large walkable city

A suburb composed of 1.5-acre lots (each one ~13x larger than the ones in my neighborhood) is not realistically possible to make walkable because the density is so low. Like, I get it, people enjoy having lots of space to themselves, but you do realize how wasteful it is, right?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

That’s one hot take

Eh, I used to live on one of the original streetcar suburbs and it was pretty nice. I could still walk/bike to the store and restaurants, but didnt have to deal with my upstairs neighbor getting ready for work in heels at 530 in the morning or my shared wall next door neighbor fighting with his girlfriend. It was a lot of the positives of East Coast City (where I moved from) while still having 20 feet between my wall and my neighbor's wall.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

This doesn't look too bad to me, but then I grew up on a middle class Brazilian neighborhood. We did have actual streets going between the houses though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re going to pack the houses that closely together, just make them terraced houses.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

A suburb with 1.5 acre lots is a worse suburb than one with 50' x 100' lots, because the one with 1.5 acre lots requires a car.

Oh no, a car! I know the dyed-in-the-wool city folks can't imagine it, but being able to drive a short distance to a huge supermarket to load up can be better than having to walk and carry back from a small, limited-stock, overpriced local market.

In any case, it doesn't look like those suburban images posted had walkable shops. More like endless rows of houses in the middle of nowhere that still would require a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A suburb composed of 1.5-acre lots (each one ~13x larger than the ones in my neighborhood) is not realistically possible to make walkable because the density is so low. Like, I get it, people enjoy having lots of space to themselves, but you do realize how wasteful it is, right?

having a living space you enjoy being in isn't wasteful