Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yesterday in one of the Discords we got into a chat about toys and it made me want to buy a Digimon figure since I own none (the ones I owned have long since disappeared, sadly). Of course, the issue there is that Digimon stuff is really loving expensive, way beyond what I can or want to pay for.

I did find something I could afford though, American Xros Wars figures. Most are terrible and all are clearly meant for children so they're small, cute and cheap. Thankfully, I did find one that looks pretty decent for its price and it's a Digimon I like too, so I got this tiny boy.

"Tiny" is an understatement honestly. It's smaller than my WCFs. But it was so cheap I can't really complain, and it's pretty well detailed overall.

I'm ticked the new 1.5-2" figures are so expensive (I have uh let's say several of the ones from the 90s-200s except irritatingly not Devidramon). I snagged an Elecmon off ebay and he is a gorgeously done figure but he's not worth the 12 bucks I paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yesterday in one of the Discords we got into a chat about toys and it made me want to buy a Digimon figure since I own none (the ones I owned have long since disappeared, sadly). Of course, the issue there is that Digimon stuff is really loving expensive, way beyond what I can or want to pay for.

I did find something I could afford though, American Xros Wars figures. Most are terrible and all are clearly meant for children so they're small, cute and cheap. Thankfully, I did find one that looks pretty decent for its price and it's a Digimon I like too, so I got this tiny boy.

"Tiny" is an understatement honestly. It's smaller than my WCFs. But it was so cheap I can't really complain, and it's pretty well detailed overall.

Just want to throw this one out there. Actually grey Greymon? Existentially horrifying :stonk:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

Just want to throw this one out there. Actually grey Greymon? Existentially horrifying :stonk:

But the very original Greymon is grey!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

dovetaile posted:

I'm ticked the new 1.5-2" figures are so expensive (I have uh let's say several of the ones from the 90s-200s except irritatingly not Devidramon). I snagged an Elecmon off ebay and he is a gorgeously done figure but he's not worth the 12 bucks I paid.

I just found my old stockpile of those 1.5" Digimon figures in storage. The designs on those went from "Pretty Cool" to "Lazily Standing in a Pose; Sketched From a Production Still"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nine-gear crow posted:

I still like the explanation for the original MetalGreymon being blue instead of orange. It’s not just because it’s Virus. No, it’s because the slapdash cybernetics are giving it metal poisoning.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This might be the best episode since the show came back

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I liked Mimi's debut better, but this was a real good episode. Speaking of Mimi shout-outs to her braiding Ikakkumon's Fur while Palmon has to keep Jyou from falling off. Also shout-outs both to the fortress set-up which was neato and neat to see get taken apart.

Preview and episode titles say Perfect Digimon next week, and that's always when a digimon show escalates.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its odd to think, Matt's standoffish nature aside, that Joe of all people is the most abrasive of the cast.

The towel gag was funny though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I had a feeling that we hadn't seen the last of DarkTyranomon when he got knocked into the ocean instead of getting blown up like all the other enemies in this episode

Also I loved that you actually get a brief glimpse of Naked Gabumon during his evolution sequence, shame we still don't have proper sequences for everyone else yet

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I just found my old stockpile of those 1.5" Digimon figures in storage. The designs on those went from "Pretty Cool" to "Lazily Standing in a Pose; Sketched From a Production Still"
I have that Submarimon that turns into his Digi-Egg and that's it.

I wish I could get a good Garurumon figure like one of the Digivolving Spirits ones but it's probably the cost of a kidney at this point. That life size Agumon plush they did was also adorable and I would kill to own one, think they also made Gabumon

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Where is Smeemon?

Sadly I don't think there is one

But I vote we consider Snimon since the name is close enough and the mental image is funny

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Welp, Amazon is cancelling Switch Survive orders. I imagine the orders for the other platforms will be soon as well as some euro fans have said all three of their listings are gone. I’m afraid the game may be cancelled.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Welp, Amazon is cancelling Switch Survive orders. I imagine the orders for the other platforms will be soon as well as some euro fans have said all three of their listings are gone. I’m afraid the game may be cancelled.

Habu accepted that Last Evolution was right and adults shouldn't have Digimon.

But no, I really hope this is just another delay and not cancellation but I wouldn't be surprised with how badly its development has seemingly gone.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like the bigger focus on the kids teaming up together to face challenges in Psi. I don't remember if original Adventure was bad at it, but I do remember folks complaining how in Frontier only the main character and his rival did anything of note.

It's also nice that Joe's attempt at taking action was the one to inspire Taichi and give him the idea of acting as a decoy. Psi seems to be taking care not to turn him into a huge joke, at least.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

I like the bigger focus on the kids teaming up together to face challenges in Psi. I don't remember if original Adventure was bad at it, but I do remember folks complaining how in Frontier only the main character and his rival did anything of note.

It's also nice that Joe's attempt at taking action was the one to inspire Taichi and give him the idea of acting as a decoy. Psi seems to be taking care not to turn him into a huge joke, at least.

In season 1 everyone got to do stuff generally and it was pretty evenly split up in that regard, but due to the nature of the show and its animation it was a LOT more 'one at a time' scenarios. Any time you had multiple Digimon fighting together, with only a few rare exceptions, it was pretty much just stock footage attacks until some one won.

So this is a very different style and feeling from the original series, in a very good way. The action is also so good and characterful, notably Greymon and Ogremon's rivalry, that it made me even more upset at season 2 for loving it up

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

In season 1 everyone got to do stuff generally and it was pretty evenly split up in that regard, but due to the nature of the show and its animation it was a LOT more 'one at a time' scenarios. Any time you had multiple Digimon fighting together, with only a few rare exceptions, it was pretty much just stock footage attacks until some one won.

So this is a very different style and feeling from the original series, in a very good way. The action is also so good and characterful, notably Greymon and Ogremon's rivalry, that it made me even more upset at season 2 for loving it up

Usually the only times you’d see the Digimon fighting together in Adventure beyond “block attack” or take turns shooting stock footage attacks at it” is when they were getting their asses kicked or the opponent was so huge that they could all have one part of it to conveniently attack separately without the need to add make characters in the frame.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This latest episode was so great. The action felt really weighty and dynamic. The way the kids fought with the Digimon was so cool. Yamato stole the show, obviously.

Loved it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it cannot be overstated how little animation there really was in season 1. It did not have a great budget. At all.

There is An Episode that is well animated, and there are a few moments of a few fights that have some actual animation going on, but those are few and far between. Myotismon VS WereGarurumon and Angemon, for example, is a fight that's great on paper, and even fun in the series, because you have new environments and they're doing stuff that isn't stock footage, but it's still not great animation.

It's a specific fight I'd love to see redone now, especially with this team.

But, also? I kind of just want to see this team do their own poo poo, because we've gotten some amazing combinations and moments as is.

A hypothetical thing that could be done is just taking the script, the audio, of season 1 and giving it new animation, but that wouldn't even allow for the hype as poo poo action stuff that we're getting now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember seeing the episode where Tai and Agumon go back to the human world for a bit and thinking even as an idiot pre-kindergarten child that the animation and art was markedly better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I remember seeing the episode where Tai and Agumon go back to the human world for a bit and thinking even as an idiot pre-kindergarten child that the animation and art was markedly better.

That episode always stood out as an anomaly to me, just for how beautiful it looked, and how calm, quiet and maturely it was written compared to the rest of the show. And then years later I found it that it was done by Mamoru Hosoda and everything just clicked into place.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Some news if anyone was interested in DigiFes this weekend.

"WithTheWill" posted:

DigiFes 2020 Online
Special, August 1st, Together

August 1st, 2020, Saturday

Part 1, scheduled to start at 6pm. [Japan time. This is 2am Pacific. A time converter is here & we've preprogrammed for the time.]
Part 2, scheduled to start at 8pm.

It will be held via the Toei Animation Youtube. The stream standby can be found here.
There is no charge for entry. [At the moment it isn't clear if they will geolock it for the stream or not, but hopefully not.]'\

Programming

Part 1
Opening
Digimon Adventure Talk, Scene Voting Results Announced [this will be them going over the scenes from Adventure, 02, tri. and Kizuna that fans voted on, so spoiler warning]
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Talk [this is the cast discussion they previously announced]
Special Live [this is likely the Ayumi Miyazaki musical performance]
Information Corner
Digimon Adventure: Latest Information

Part 2
Digimon X-Evolution Public Premiere [X-Evolution has actually never had a public screening. It aired on TV, was released on DVD, and has been on VOD in a few countries.]
It lists that it was directed by Hiroyuki Kakudou and Minami Takayama is Dorumon. Runs 78 minutes.

Event Guests
Chika Sakamoto (Agumon), Mayumi Yamaguchi (Gabumon), Ayumi Miyazkai (singer)
MC/Host- Yosuke Kinoshita (Toei Producer) [he's done a number of these for tri. and Kizuna, most notably for many will be the Anime Expo 2019 Digimon panel.]

I don't have a lot of hope that the Information Corner will have anything other than Anime stuff in it, judging by the rest.

Also they teased the second wave of Pendulum Zs and they are, as expected, Metal Empire, Wind Guardians and Virus Busters. No colors yet, just a grayscale image of the three. Jogress is still in but copymon are not. Cut in graphics for attacks return from the X series so that's neat.

Also for some reason they tease digimon in wave 2 that will jogress with the Wormmon, Gatomon and Armadillomon you get for connecting the wave 1s with each other, but going by the evo lines shown it's just Hawkmon, Patamon and Veemon like normal. Slashangemon is being used as Armadillomon's mega, is that a common choice?

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 29, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Also they for some reason they tease digimon in wave 2 that will jogress with the Wormmon, Gatomon and Armadillomon you get for connecting the wave 1s with each other, but going by the evo lines shown it's just Hawkmon, Patamon and Veemon like normal. Slashangemon is being used as Armadillomon's mega, is that a common choice?

It would normally be Vikemon but with Vikemon being retconned as Gomamon's Mega (originally it was Plesiomon) they likely wanted Armadimon to have his own to have entirely different lines for everyone in the Adventure-verse. I feel I saw Shakkoumon -> SlashAngemon before though but I cannot remember where, maybe one of the DS games?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It would normally be Vikemon but with Vikemon being retconned as Gomamon's Mega (originally it was Plesiomon) they likely wanted Armadimon to have his own to have entirely different lines for everyone in the Adventure-verse. I feel I saw Shakkoumon -> SlashAngemon before though but I cannot remember where, maybe one of the DS games?

Looked it up and it was in Lost Evolution that we didn't get in the west, so I guess there is a precedent.

Since Kizuna's in my brain again, I recently saw this art which hit me a bit hard. I'm not sure how others feel, but I felt like Sora got done dirty.

https://twitter.com/TANx3noodle/status/1288108448094097408

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Some news if anyone was interested in DigiFes this weekend.

I don't have a lot of hope that the Information Corner will have anything other than Anime stuff in it, judging by the rest.

Also they teased the second wave of Pendulum Zs and they are, as expected, Metal Empire, Wind Guardians and Virus Busters. No colors yet, just a grayscale image of the three. Jogress is still in but copymon are not. Cut in graphics for attacks return from the X series so that's neat.

Also for some reason they tease digimon in wave 2 that will jogress with the Wormmon, Gatomon and Armadillomon you get for connecting the wave 1s with each other, but going by the evo lines shown it's just Hawkmon, Patamon and Veemon like normal. Slashangemon is being used as Armadillomon's mega, is that a common choice?

I think Lost Evolution was the game that introduced having SlashAngemon as Armadimon's Ultimate, personally I think ClavisAngemon* would work much better though

*it's still really weird how underused that guy has been even by X-Antibody Digimon standards

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I think Lost Evolution was the game that introduced having SlashAngemon as Armadimon's Ultimate, personally I think ClavisAngemon* would work much better though

*it's still really weird how underused that guy has been even by X-Antibody Digimon standards

Oh yeah, his armor has a sort of clay-ish look to it that would fit better coming from Shakkoumon. Plus I love his keyblade. Maybe he'll get to be in the next story game as a playable one instead of just a medal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Oh yeah, his armor has a sort of clay-ish look to it that would fit better coming from Shakkoumon. Plus I love his keyblade. Maybe he'll get to be in the next story game as a playable one instead of just a medal.

It'd be nice considering we have no idea how its signature "The Key" works, or any possible attack for that matter, considering its Digimon Reference Book profile says nothing about it and it didn't get a Jintrix card or any videogame appearances that would show it, and its only anime/manga appearance so far was a cameo in Adventure:'s flashback.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I agree. It fits the “armor” theme for the entire line far better than Mr. I-Gots-Swords-for-Bones or a viking walrus-man ever did.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Since Kizuna's in my brain again, I recently saw this art which hit me a bit hard. I'm not sure how others feel, but I felt like Sora got done dirty.

You are not alone. If one of the head writers came out and said they all just completely hated Sora I would not be surprised in the least. It would be hard to do worse by her character if you were trying.

As for Armadimon my crack Ultimate choice for him recently was actually Tactimon, an intelligent armored warrior with a design taken straight from antiquity hits basically all of the design themes of his line as it stands.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Looked it up and it was in Lost Evolution that we didn't get in the west, so I guess there is a precedent.

https://twitter.com/TANx3noodle/status/1288108448094097408

Yeah even when I know it's not supposed to come off like that.

It still feels like a girls shouldn't like boy stuff and will grow out of it if they do thing.

Honestly the best part of that was when they said their was 30000 people with Digimon around the world cause now I want to know more about life with digimon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, and we've talked about this before, you want to meaningfully explore a more mature Digimon story?

Explore the post Epilogue world. Doesn't even have to be about the kids, though it could be. Ken is a detective with Stingmon, implying that Digimon are involved in criminal stuff as well. Digimon are, effectively, equivalent to humans, so how do they mix and interact?

We know there's politics involved- Tai is a goddamn ambassador to the Digital World. Joe is a doctor who operates in the Digital World, implying that humans can live and work there too.

You have this super interesting setting that you are doing nothing with, that could open so many avenues for story telling.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Honestly even as a kid I thought Joe's ending was the most interesting just because he was in the Digital World as an adult

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

I'd agree with that.

If they meant for Renamon to be received the way she was, they would have made more Digimon like her. I think that was a...happy? accident. She just happened to key into a few different fetish groups all at the same time and the internet went wild over it.

Also, she is a Child level Digimon- for all of Digimon's ills and woes, to my knowledge they do not sexualized child level Digimon. Since those are supposed to be, you know, children. They save those designs for champions/adults or above.

Ehh while i wouldn't say renamon was meant to be porn material she was absolutely meant to be very feminine in a not very childlike way.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 30, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Renamon was actually meant to be androgynous, with evolutions gradually growing more feminine culminating in Sakuyamon. I’m not really sure how Kyubimon is more feminine than Renamon but I’m not the one who made it up :shrug:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The furries latching onto Renamon the way they did wasn’t intentional. She was clearly designed to be cool and feminine, but in a franchise where Angewomon and Rosemon among others exist, it’s clear that she wasn’t expected to become nearly as sexualized as some parts of the fanbase have made her out to be.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The third DCG expansion's package leaked. It features Imperialdramon Dragon Mode, Ragnalordmon, CresGarurumon and BlitzGreymon.
https://twitter.com/digicaplayer/status/1288699489398616065

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Renamon was actually meant to be androgynous, with evolutions gradually growing more feminine culminating in Sakuyamon. I’m not really sure how Kyubimon is more feminine than Renamon but I’m not the one who made it up :shrug:

Renamon's evolution line reflects Rika's process of reconnecting or at least coming to terms with her femininity over the series. Renamon and Kyubimon are on the more ambiguous side of things because Rika was trying too hard to be the tough, steely girl at the start of the series. There's some visual cues in Kyubimon's design that present as feminine overall, but the point of Kyubimon at that stage of the show is to reflect Rika being (or presenting herself as) a rip-your-nuts-off hard rear end, hence her partner becoming a giant flaming wolf-fox thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
also if there's a yokai more commonly fetishized and depicted as feminine than the Nine Tailed Fox, I don't know what it is

Naruto is like the only time I can think of where a Nine Tailed Fox wasn't explicitly a woman, either able to be anthropomorphic or otherwise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

also if there's a yokai more commonly fetishized and depicted as feminine than the Nine Tailed Fox, I don't know what it is

Naruto is like the only time I can think of where a Nine Tailed Fox wasn't explicitly a woman, either able to be anthropomorphic or otherwise.

One of Naruto’s main tricks early on was turning into a sexy naked woman just to freak people out, so yeah, not completely shedding the association.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Survive is still not dead! Not clear if it's alive, it's basically Schrodinger's Game at this point, but it's not dead.
https://twitter.com/Fairi_digimon92/status/1288877264290156544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh thank goodness