Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks! I'll look into ordering the honeycomb pattern litter mat and top entry litter box.

Is there any issue with the cats stepping on poop when they enter?

I haven't had any problems! It might depend on how well your cat tends to bury their poop - maybe if they're not good at burying then things could be left in inconvenient places? In case it's at all helpful, this is the box that I've been using.

In unrelated, more self-centered news: holy crap I really did not understand what a process it is to get rid of fleas. The topical preventative that I used turned out to be very ineffective (and based on reviews, it looks like that preventative is just ... ineffective, so I don't think it was an issue with getting enough on her skin vs on her fur) but I can't give her another until it's been 30 days because there's a toxicity risk. So I've been using a combination of capstar, a flea brush, frequent washing/vacuuming, and flea spray to try to combat them until I can give a more effective topical treatment. I bathed her twice, but I don't know if I have the emotional fortitude to keep doing that on a regular basis. I keep thinking that I've killed all the fleas and then, predictably, two or three days later some amount of eggs that I missed will hatch and there'll be tiny adult fleas in her fur again. Fewer and fewer fleas each time, so hopefully that's at least indicative that I'm making actual progress? But really discouraging and horrifying on a visceral "I'm living in an environment with fleas" level.

Tl;dr: Hartz brand flea treatments suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jayne Doe posted:

I haven't had any problems! It might depend on how well your cat tends to bury their poop - maybe if they're not good at burying then things could be left in inconvenient places? In case it's at all helpful, this is the box that I've been using.

In unrelated, more self-centered news: holy crap I really did not understand what a process it is to get rid of fleas. The topical preventative that I used turned out to be very ineffective (and based on reviews, it looks like that preventative is just ... ineffective, so I don't think it was an issue with getting enough on her skin vs on her fur) but I can't give her another until it's been 30 days because there's a toxicity risk. So I've been using a combination of capstar, a flea brush, frequent washing/vacuuming, and flea spray to try to combat them until I can give a more effective topical treatment. I bathed her twice, but I don't know if I have the emotional fortitude to keep doing that on a regular basis. I keep thinking that I've killed all the fleas and then, predictably, two or three days later some amount of eggs that I missed will hatch and there'll be tiny adult fleas in her fur again. Fewer and fewer fleas each time, so hopefully that's at least indicative that I'm making actual progress? But really discouraging and horrifying on a visceral "I'm living in an environment with fleas" level.

Oof okay yeah holy crap don't buy Hartz, not only is it ineffective it's one of the riskiest topicals when it comes to safety.

Frontline or Revolution Plus IMO.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I made an incredibly dumb decision based on "what is available at the only pet store I can get to before everything closes for the night". (Which was severely limited by the fact that I don't drive, so I had to be able to get there via public transit within a <1 hour timeframe)

Once it's safe to give it to her, I have Frontline that I've bought since. I feel extremely, extremely lucky that she didn't have an adverse reaction to the Hartz topical and learned my lesson about not reading online reviews before using a product. Maybe out of naivety, it had just never occurred to me that a pet store might sell something that could kill my cat.

Jayne Doe fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 27, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just bought this fountain and it owns. The cats seem into it!

Does anyone have any experience with cats with sensitive stomachs? My boy Finn is on a special diet because he throws up most food, if he eats canned wet food he will puke about half the time, can't eat normal dry food, basically has to only eat the dry food with the special formula. Is it possible for cats to grow out of this? I always feel so bad, the poor guy just leers at his sister as she eats her wet food and we pretty much have to stand there to prevent him from snatching it from her. The diet is working out, he looks sad as gently caress when she's eating but has gained weight so it's not like he's starving. I'm just curious if anyone's had similar experiences and if it's possible for them to eat normal food again or if this is generally a genetic thing that will always be there.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

explosivo posted:

I just bought this fountain and it owns. The cats seem into it!

Does anyone have any experience with cats with sensitive stomachs? My boy Finn is on a special diet because he throws up most food, if he eats canned wet food he will puke about half the time, can't eat normal dry food, basically has to only eat the dry food with the special formula. Is it possible for cats to grow out of this? I always feel so bad, the poor guy just leers at his sister as she eats her wet food and we pretty much have to stand there to prevent him from snatching it from her. The diet is working out, he looks sad as gently caress when she's eating but has gained weight so it's not like he's starving. I'm just curious if anyone's had similar experiences and if it's possible for them to eat normal food again or if this is generally a genetic thing that will always be there.

Have you tried raising the cat food bowl? My vet recommended doing this to reduce vomiting.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

luscious posted:

Has anyone successfully managed to get a cat who hates dogs and a dog who hates cats to... get along? I know that this will be work on both sides but I would like to make it work.

Had a new roommate move in at the beginning of the month with a Labraweenie. My cats bolt every time they see the dog, causing the dog to chase them, and then the dog gets too close and realizes he doesn't know what to do and starts whining and runs away. Or he smashes into my bedroom door after they make it through the cat hole, starts whining, and runs away.

This was basically my alarm clock the first two weeks. Now he's more careful about not just letting the dog loose in the house unless I've got the cats sequestered.

So no, sure haven't.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jayne Doe posted:

You can add food grade diatomaceous earth to your arsenal. It's method of action is mechanical, not chemical. It's not a toxin of any kind. It's a grey dust made from the tiny skeletons of ancient sea diatoms. Perfectly safe to eat or lick, though you should probably avoid huffing it while it's airborne (like any dust).

It cuts up and dehydrates insects with exoskeletons, like the flea larvae that are living in your carpet and upholstery right this moment, and also any adult fleas. Completely harmless to mammals (though it can be irritating if you inhale a cloud of it). You can puff a thin coating of it it all over any carpet and cat furniture to get at the larva before they become adult fleas. Eggs laid while you had fleas will spend weeks as larvae and pupae so it can seem like fleas appear out of nowhere a month after you thought you killed them all.

Diatomaceous earth is inexpensive and available at any garden center or online. Note: Don't get the "filter grade" stuff sometimes sold in swimming pool supplies. You want the "food grade" stuff sold in garden centers or some woowoo health stores.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/diatomaceous-earth-for-flea-control-3385244

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 28, 2020

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Dude. Thank you so, so much. I was just doing research about flea powder to figure out how to deal with my carpets more effectively so this was an extremely timely recommendation.

I'm trying very hard to be level and calm rather than hysterical, but as someone with (diagnosed) OCD who already had a lot of obsessive anxiety about contamination, this whole thing has basically been one of my worst nightmares.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jayne Doe posted:

Dude. Thank you so, so much. I was just doing research about flea powder to figure out how to deal with my carpets more effectively so this was an extremely timely recommendation.

I'm trying very hard to be level and calm rather than hysterical, but as someone with (diagnosed) OCD who already had a lot of obsessive anxiety about contamination, this whole thing has basically been one of my worst nightmares.

If you can, relax. Fleas are annoying but they're not dangerous. Diatomaceous earth is great for carpets and fabrics, and you can also use borax powder which is similar. You'll have a dusty house for a while but you can vacuum it right up once you've licked the flea problem

Dawn soap also works for adult fleas since it will allow water to suffocate them. You're absolutely right that it will be fewer and fewer each time, it's sadly a battle of attrition until finally there aren't enough left to breed any more.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jayne Doe posted:

PT Alpine Flea & Bed Bug Pressurized Insecticide is also fantastic and pet safe once the vapors clear. It knocked down our flea problem while we were waiting for the topicals to take effect.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Kitten ownership going real well so far

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I tried nomnom fresh cat food service. They like the food and its pretty convenient. Anyone have experience using them?

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

PT Alpine Flea & Bed Bug Pressurized Insecticide is also fantastic and pet safe once the vapors clear. It knocked down our flea problem while we were waiting for the topicals to take effect.
Thanks for the recommendation!

DarkHorse posted:

Oh my GOD :3:

Her coloring/pattern is beautiful.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Womyn Capote posted:

I tried nomnom fresh cat food service. They like the food and its pretty convenient. Anyone have experience using them?

I like the idea of fresh food services but man I just can't justify spending 100 bucks+ a month on pet food when my quality kibble and wet food combo is less than half as much per month

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DarkHorse posted:

That's a boo. You got a boo on your hands. The good news is that you'll never be bored again!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Buff Hardback posted:

I like the idea of fresh food services but man I just can't justify spending 100 bucks+ a month on pet food when my quality kibble and wet food combo is less than half as much per month

Yeah, I just checked the pricing on that and woof. $30 a week is effectively twice what we spend on Sweetheart's food as-is, and we get some pricy wet food because she's a picky little primadonna.

Pictured: one picky little primadonna

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish there were more urine crystal preventing food than what Royal Canin offers as a prescription :smith:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

it's $100?! Wow. We buy fancy food and treats/toys from the small little punk rock animal supply store here in San Francisco, so we're choosing to be somewhat spendy with what buy and it's still only ~$40 a month for all his stuff except his flea meds. We used to feed the raw freeze dried nuggets which probably was $5 more, but Steve decided he really liked kibble instead.

E: this is for a two year old active boy that has a hearty appetite.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My cat eats about $35/mo in medium-high tier food but she's only 6.5lbs, I'm sure some maine coons could eat triple that.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Oliver ran into a table leg when he was startled and messed up his face, leading to conjunctivitis. I have to give him drops. However, he loves being petted, so I do not see this as being a problem.

The problem is that we have to drug everyone else to take them back to the vet to get them their boosters. Last time we took them all to the vet, Buddy freaked out and got stuck in the fireplace, which had to be dissembled in order to free him. Cooper wasn't drugged enough to be given his vaccines and it took the clinic 20 minutes to get him back in the carrier. They have asked us to give him 3x the original dose. Cats are drama.

Pretty into Oliver though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

luscious posted:

The problem is that we have to drug everyone else to take them back to the vet to get them their boosters. Last time we took them all to the vet, Buddy freaked out and got stuck in the fireplace, which had to be dissembled in order to free him. Cooper wasn't drugged enough to be given his vaccines and it took the clinic 20 minutes to get him back in the carrier. They have asked us to give him 3x the original dose. Cats are drama.

I feel your pain. Fortunately we don't have a fireplace but Leela is extremely skittish and loving detests the vet. We give her a dose of gabapentin to take her in but we took her in for a checkup a couple weeks ago and she was terrible. Hissing and biting and generally just a huge pain in the rear end. I think she didn't eat all of the food we mixed it into so she may not have gotten a full dose, but still, it's like bringing the bad kid in. Especially compared to my other dude who doesn't like the vet but usually just scurries into the carrier and crams into one side of it when the doctor is done.

If Leela's not better next time after a dose they're going to up the amount for the next visit :smith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jayne Doe posted:

Thanks for the recommendation!

Oh my GOD :3:

Her coloring/pattern is beautiful.

Yeah we're pretty smitten with her. Smitten by a shitten

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's a boo. You got a boo on your hands. The good news is that you'll never be bored again!

I kept hearing thunks from the quarantine bathroom and thought to myself, "oh good, she's found a way to amuse herself!

...wait. Aw poo poo."

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Sarern posted:

In addition to those, you can try an ssscat. Normal air duster cans can be used for refills. I have one by my front door and it very quickly trained both cats.

I'd love some more information on this. Which kind of air duster cans do you use? I tried to do it myself, and the can wouldn't fit snug.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Bioshuffle posted:

I'd love some more information on this. Which kind of air duster cans do you use? I tried to do it myself, and the can wouldn't fit snug.

Whatever the bulk pack from Costco was a year ago... You have to remove the plastic spray nozzle, then the ssscat clamps onto the can.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sarern posted:

Whatever the bulk pack from Costco was a year ago... You have to remove the plastic spray nozzle, then the ssscat clamps onto the can.

Can confirm I bought a random pack of 3 from Amazon that were like every other can of compressed air and our ssscat clamped on without an issue. Definitely better than buying their expensive rear end refills.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DarkHorse posted:

You gotta hang it under when you have an rear end in a top hat cat

It'll still get clawed at but at least it won't be a strand across your house

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

explosivo posted:

We give her a dose of gabapentin to take her in but we took her in for a checkup a couple weeks ago and she was terrible.

If Leela's not better next time after a dose they're going to up the amount for the next visit :smith:

Yeah that's the situation with Cooper.

I think that the key with Buddy is to give it to him earlier and not let him get back into the room he got into as there's also a bed in there, and that wasn't great to get him out from under before the fireplace incident. It's not Buddy's fault. My parents got him to come inside after he started hanging around as a stray. He's still mostly feral and not too bright.

Luckily, with Oliver, he hates going to the vet, but enjoys being at the vet because he's such a little love. They call him a gentle giant lolol.

Here's Oliver before he rolled off the couch. You can also see the "cat castle" I created for them. Which is actually where they hide and wait for my stupid dog to stick his face in the dog head sized holes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Does anybody know how to find that little series of images of a cat sitting on a wall, this other cat comes along and snarls at him, and then the snarly cat takes the first cat's place, and some goon called it cat replace dot jpeg ten years ago?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really can't believe how great my cat has been lately, it's been some trying times. We've been living a bit of a nomadic life in the past few months - some friends places, motels - and even with all the moving, she has never like... peed or pooped outside of her (ever-moving) litter-box - even if it's a small temporary one for a period of time! She doesn't complain, she doesn't ever make life difficult for me. I do take very good care of her, of course, but I am still amazed. She seems happier here than back east, actually, when I had lots of roommates - she would yowl and cry for no reason I could figure out back home, so maybe one of my roommates was being awful to her - wouldn't shock me :( She just seems way happier now. When you're living alone in a motel room in Los Angeles for the better part of a given month it's a hell of a lot less lonely when you've got your cat with you :unsmith:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 29, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wow, that's really uncatlike. Mine would be freaking out. You have a very special kitty there :)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah we're pretty smitten with her. Smitten by a shitten
I kept hearing thunks from the quarantine bathroom and thought to myself, "oh good, she's found a way to amuse herself!

...wait. Aw poo poo."

Sittin' smittin by your shitten. :kimchi:

e: kaworu, I love your Jackie updates. She is such an awesome girl.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

DarkHorse posted:

Welcome to tortoiseshell & white club. The first rule is "aah what have you got into now??"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

If you want to know how one qualifies a boo, watch this video. That cat is a boo. Their other cats are not.

e: My own boo, in an attempt to wake me for food (which she won't even eat), learned how to open and slam close my sock drawer. Also to pull out socks.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 29, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bobstar posted:

Welcome to tortoiseshell & white club. The first rule is "aah what have you got into now??"

Wait, she's not just considered calico? Ive got a part torture?!

Edit: tried to say tortie, leaving the autocorrect

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If you want to know how one qualifies a boo, watch this video. That cat is a boo. Their other cats are not.

e: My own boo, in an attempt to wake me for food (which she won't even eat), learned how to open and slam close my sock drawer. Also to pull out socks.

I'm hosed aren't I? :negative:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah calico is just a type of tortie, welcome to tortie club.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Both of my previous cats were torties (only one boo) and while one was a perfect angel, the other was a neurotic mess who hated cleaning her own rear end and was afraid of lemons. She hated other cats so much that she once saw another cat outside and peed on the loving window.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think it's a regional thing too, in the UK "calico" isn't used I don't think, I'd call your kitty and my Maple tortoiseshell and white (which is more of a mouthful, now I think about it).

From wiki: In genetic terms, calico cats are tortoiseshells in every way, except that in addition they express a white spotting gene. There is however one anomaly: as a rule of thumb the larger the areas of white, the fewer and larger the patches of ginger and dark or tabby coat.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got my first cat about a month ago! Her name is Cosette, she’s wonderful and everything has been great up until now. A few days ago she somehow injured one of her back legs. :( At first all she did was lay down and rest, now she’s getting up and eating/drinking/using the box and she has a bit of her personality back. From what my girlfriend and I can tell, there is no swelling. My cat still puts weight on the leg when she walks, but you can tell she’s being delicate with it. Looks like it is sprained, not anything major. Now it just so happens I have a vet visit already scheduled for this Saturday, so I’ve been hoping I can wait until then as opposed to my other option of going to the pet emergency room (there are NO open appointments anywhere near me, Saturday is the earliest I could get). Everyone I talked to who knows more about pets then I do days I can wait, I still feel a bit bad about it though.

Sorry I’ll post pics of her later!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got my first cat about a month ago! Her name is Cosette, she’s wonderful and everything has been great up until now. A few days ago she somehow injured one of her back legs. :( At first all she did was lay down and rest, now she’s getting up and eating/drinking/using the box and she has a bit of her personality back. From what my girlfriend and I can tell, there is no swelling. My cat still puts weight on the leg when she walks, but you can tell she’s being delicate with it. Looks like it is sprained, not anything major. Now it just so happens I have a vet visit already scheduled for this Saturday, so I’ve been hoping I can wait until then as opposed to my other option of going to the pet emergency room (there are NO open appointments anywhere near me, Saturday is the earliest I could get). Everyone I talked to who knows more about pets then I do days I can wait, I still feel a bit bad about it though.

Sorry I’ll post pics of her later!!

Sounds like a sprain that is healing up properly. Unless she takes a dramatic turn for the worse, you should be fine to hold off until Saturday. Cats are remarkably tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch in this thread but is there a decent self cleaning litter box out there?

We spend nearly every weekend away from the house in the summer and I feel bad that the cats have to go a couple days without a clean box. I have several boxes set up for them (2 cats) now but it's not really ideal and maybe someone has a suggestion to help me out.