Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StonecutterJoe posted:

His charity is literally "give me money, so I can take a cut and then give the rest to this other charity that already exists."

In itself, that's fine. There are plenty of foundations that do this, and it lets the charity concentrate on its real work.

The numbers Ornamented Death quotes, on the other hand... invite suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

In itself, that's fine. There are plenty of foundations that do this, and it lets the charity concentrate on its real work.

The numbers Ornamented Death quotes, on the other hand... invite suspicion.

If a "charity" is spending more on rent space then money contributed to a cause then it needs to be shut down because it is clearly not working.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

pentyne posted:

If a "charity" is spending more on rent space then money contributed to a cause then it needs to be shut down because it is clearly not working.

I’d say it’s working exactly as intended.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The weird thing about Kingkiller is that a lot of it is weird self-gratification and justifying Rothfuss' life choices, like how Kvothe's parents never married but they loved each other more than most married couples and it was a purer love (see: current relationship status) or how Manet is SUPER COOL as the guy who's been at college forever and all the younger guys look up to him (this does not happen) and yadda yadda yadda. So all this stuff about how he's just in it for himself and stringing all these people along should be absolutely no surprise to anyone as the work literally drips with the idea that Kvothe is super deep and you can't possibly understand his deepities, mannnnnnnn!

It boggles the mind that people don't think the guy who wrote the intro to The Slow Regard of Silent Things isn't a pompous, arrogant rear end.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

That would imply he also thinks he's really good at playing music and loving and I'd rather not go there tyvm

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Willeh posted:

That would imply he also thinks he's really good at playing music and loving and I'd rather not go there tyvm

He thinks he's really good at everything.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
He's also the guy who wrote fanfiction about a fake delivery guy praising his silly board game because he was so desperate for validation that he had to manufacture it himself. His entire identity is built on this idea that he's awesome at everything.

A few years ago he made a tweet about how "I'm not that great, people like single moms have done so much more than me" before he went into a university classroom to teach or give a speech or something. At the time thread speculation was that the first cracks were appearing in his self perception. That he's actually an every day schlub that got lucky and that he isn't awesome at everything.

Eventually everyone grows up.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I read some choice bits of The Name of the Wind aloud on a Discord conversation last night, and it's somehow even worse spoken than printed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Kchama posted:

Or, at the very least, that he can provide Deep Insight into everything.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Kchama posted:

There was an interview where he talks about being amazing at making soup and when the interviewer presses him for a recipe it is adding store bought tortellini to top ramen.

Edit: i read through the interview again. Not as bad as i remember

RichestManInTown fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 29, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RichestManInTown posted:

There was an interview where he talks about being amazing at making soup and when the interviewer presses him for a recipe it is adding store bought tortellini to top ramen.

Edit: i read through the interview again. Not as bad as i remember

Was the recipe different or did he describe it in his attempting to be clever "pour poo poo in barrels and thump on it" mentality?

I can't tell if he owns up to a failure or mistake or somehow presents the idea that his creative flourishes are a good thing even if the end result is a loving disaster.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

pentyne posted:

Was the recipe different or did he describe it in his attempting to be clever "pour poo poo in barrels and thump on it" mentality?

I can't tell if he owns up to a failure or mistake or somehow presents the idea that his creative flourishes are a good thing even if the end result is a loving disaster.

My remembrance was that Rothfuss brought up his skills unprompted but the interviewer raises the topic and he didn’t make any bold claims about his abilities in the interview like I had remembered.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
On the bright side, he hasn’t tweeted since the article came out so that’s nice

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RichestManInTown posted:

My remembrance was that Rothfuss brought up his skills unprompted but the interviewer raises the topic and he didn’t make any bold claims about his abilities in the interview like I had remembered.

That is extremely on brand for a guy who thinks vandalizing random books in a bookstore is something people would get excited and praise him for.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

pentyne posted:

That is extremely on brand for a guy who thinks vandalizing random books in a bookstore is something people would get excited and praise him for.

Wasn't it books that he didn't even write?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah that was the worst part. It was other people’s books and he’d write “This book is great! ~Patrick Rothfuss” on the inside.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wasn't it books that he didn't even write?

Yes. There was some viral story about some author who would go and sign copies of their book secretly and Rothfuss decided to throw his patented "I'm the writer of this generation" twist to it by writing in other authors books with compliments.

He seems so incredibly dense its a wonder he even manages pocket all that money his charity raises.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

at 500k a year of operating expenses i imagine that he has someone smarter than him to keep the grift afloat

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Raiad posted:

at 500k a year of operating expenses i imagine that he has someone smarter than him to keep the grift afloat

It doesn't really seem to be a scam where he pays himself a lot of money. More like he uses it for self-aggrandizement and then gave his friends cush jobs. They don't seem to do very much and have at least 2 full-time employees, shockingly both women.

They're also not really run like a non-profit (source I work at a non-profit as a grant manager) like their website is like ... "how great are we" not "here is the work we are doing, heres how you can help". But I don't see the 2019 990, only the previous years are available on pro publica.

Anyway, it really just seems like a way for him to have power and promote and help his friends. Kind of like the Trump org, though that was more of a direct grift. But of course, they carry Tak pieces in the store that kind of thing.

They have the minimum # of independent board members and no information about who they are. And they have unrelated business income of about 5/12s and 7/12s of their revenue is charitable, so they are also doing a lot of commercial business that is not really charitable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

It doesn't really seem to be a scam where he pays himself a lot of money. More like he uses it for self-aggrandizement and then gave his friends cush jobs. They don't seem to do very much and have at least 2 full-time employees, shockingly both women.

They're also not really run like a non-profit (source I work at a non-profit as a grant manager) like their website is like ... "how great are we" not "here is the work we are doing, heres how you can help". But I don't see the 2019 990, only the previous years are available on pro publica.

Anyway, it really just seems like a way for him to have power and promote and help his friends. Kind of like the Trump org, though that was more of a direct grift. But of course, they carry Tak pieces in the store that kind of thing.

They have the minimum # of independent board members and no information about who they are. And they have unrelated business income of about 5/12s and 7/12s of their revenue is charitable, so they are also doing a lot of commercial business that is not really charitable.

quote:

Worldbuilders is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit uniting the geek community to raise money for established charities who help people pull themselves out of poverty.

It's literally "hello fellow nerds we're just like you" only to take their money for some nebulous purpose of charitable donation.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pseudanonymous posted:

It doesn't really seem to be a scam where he pays himself a lot of money.

The "charity" paid him three times more in rent than it gave out for charitable reasons for the most recent year data is available. Just because he isn't drawing a salary doesn't mean he's not using the charity to enrich himself.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Scholtz posted:

Idk, a lot of his identity seems to be "I'm a writer"

The vast majority of people who identity 'as a writer' haven't written a drat thing. You go to any writer's group and you're going to find that the vast majority of prospective writers are people who do anything but write.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Parts one and two of the trilogy had words, but it looks like the series is ending up with a silence in part three.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Parts one and two of the trilogy had words, but it looks like the series is ending up with a silence in part three.

Hahaha well done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The soft silence of the cut flower.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ornamented Death posted:

The "charity" paid him three times more in rent than it gave out for charitable reasons for the most recent year data is available. Just because he isn't drawing a salary doesn't mean he's not using the charity to enrich himself.

So guy's a piece of poo poo. Gotcha.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah it seems bizarre to claim that he's not profiting from it when they're directly paying him a massive amount of money.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I have a similar issue with artists who make promises on Patreon, take money, and don't deliver the promised product on schedule.

Its how I got this avatar!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have a similar issue with artists who make promises on Patreon, take money, and don't deliver the promised product on schedule.

Its how I got this avatar!

Ironically enough Rothfuss had the same problem to the tune of completely losing 6 figures.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I looked into the Worldbuilders thing, and the reason their numbers look so bad is that they (rightly) don't take the money that their fundraisers draw; it goes directly to the charities involved and thus never appears on their tax filings.

(There is a very, very good Rothfuss post on that page as well.)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I looked into the Worldbuilders thing, and the reason their numbers look so bad is that they (rightly) don't take the money that their fundraisers draw; it goes directly to the charities involved and thus never appears on their tax filings.

(There is a very, very good Rothfuss post on that page as well.)

They have 2.0 Ftes and they don’t have time to create an annual report that clarifies this? They do gently caress all with 4160 hours a year. What they’re saying is horseshit. Also they’re a loving 501c3 so they should be reporting it as revenue. It’s not like they would pay taxes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not surprised if it's still horseshit. I don't know jack about any of this.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

pseudanonymous posted:

They have 2.0 Ftes and they don’t have time to create an annual report that clarifies this? They do gently caress all with 4160 hours a year. What they’re saying is horseshit. Also they’re a loving 501c3 so they should be reporting it as revenue. It’s not like they would pay taxes.

Look he didn't want to actually learn anything about running a 501c3, he thought he could just wave a wand at a spreadsheet like a wizard and shout NUMBERS! and it would all just work on its own and it'd be fun. Actual effort and learning real skills is HARD.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah that's a 100% lie to make them look good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So to be clear, their defense of the shady fundraising is "we don't report the money we just send it directly to the charity"

....so why do you even need to be handling the money then? :magemage:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

So to be clear, their defense of the shady fundraising is "we don't report the money we just send it directly to the charity"

....so why do you even need to be handling the money then? :magemage:

That post was also 6 years ago.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I believe their argument is that they have a platform and an audience that a lot of these other charities don't have so they want to use that to get more money than the other charities could.

But you're absolutely correct in that they could just be like "Hey, this week we're supporting The Houston Food Bank! Donate here!" but Rothfuss needs to get that rental money.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In the interest of fairness, a lot of authors and geek-related businesses donate stuff for Worldbuilders to auction off, so some amount of rent is not out of the question since that stuff needs to be stored somewhere.

However, almost $90k is absurd.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I did an effort post about his charity about a year ago when I was feeling salty. My conclusion after looking at 3 years of their filings was that what they were doing was technically legal, but that Worldbuilders was a way for Rothfuss to give his sidepieces/friend zone buds money and pay for a location in which to "hang out" while also generating goodwill for his brand. It's business savvy and earns him morality points which can be traded in for strange at cons from justice chicks who've been programmed from birth to trust and desire to sit on the laps of famous bearded philanthropists.

Rothfuss's whole personal is an almost flawless beta-male mating strategy he learned from master Whedon. He still screws up from time to time by talking too much and too honestly, but some signaling of his true horn dog form is probably necessary to score with chicks who need to know that their advances will be appreciated and reciprocated. What starstruck 18-26 year old poly wouldn't want to have a sexy, athletic time with a celebrity who wrote one of the most selling fantasy books in modern history.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
I read these books a couple of years ago. They aren't good. That said, here are some good things about them:

The initial setup is done pretty nicely until around when he gets to the University and every other character now knows that Kvothe is the protagonist, and then it's extremely downhill from there. Yes, setting up mysteries without payoff is a low degree of difficulty, but he does a decent job, our boy Pat!

What I think this book did extremely well was be like "hey, you know this thing you like? Isn't it good?" and to that I'd say "yeah, it IS pretty good!" When I listened to the audiobook a couple of years ago, I'd drive out to the mountains to hike in the snow for a couple of hours, and on the way back, I very much enjoyed hearing about some guy baking bread and making stew at his inn. Some of the passages about playing lute made me take out my guitar and play because it's fun. I don't do martial arts, but the tai chi thing he talks about in one of the other books reminded me that I like doing yoga.

They read like the author is a creep, so thanks to the thread for confirming.