Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what does it mean about a character if Christ imagery is invoked pertaining to them

It can mean any number of things. Christ imagery can be used just as much to portray megalomania and delusions of grandeur as it can genuine godliness, like how often do TV shows and films portray sinister cult leaders wreathed in halos with beatific expressions high on their own bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

It can mean any number of things. Christ imagery can be used just as much to portray megalomania and delusions of grandeur as it can genuine godliness, like how often do TV shows and films portray sinister cult leaders wreathed in halos with beatific expressions high on their own bullshit?

okay so Giorno isn't Jesus, he's Evil Jesus. I'm glad we got to the bottom of this deep JoJo lore

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Jesus figure in Jojo is Jesus.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pigbuster posted:

:hmmyes:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

okay so Giorno isn't Jesus, he's Evil Jesus. I'm glad we got to the bottom of this deep JoJo lore

Ita fun to talk about the themes and imagery of this manga, I'm sorry this seems to bother you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Okay but if Jesus is a Jojo then ... every Jojo is a Jesus? poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

multijoe posted:

*astronaut meme image format*

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

It’s Jesuses all the way down

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My theory is that Araki learned that Christianity existed mid-way through Vento Aureo and spent all his energy between then and the end of Steel Ball Run to work Jesus into his weird punch ghost comic.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Please, his names is Joses Joestar.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Joshua Josephson - christ is canonically a JoJo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or if you prefer, Joshua Ben-Joseph

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

Ita fun to talk about the themes and imagery of this manga, I'm sorry this seems to bother you

That's why I was talking about religious imagery and theming of Giorno and why I was confused about this idea that he was actually a horrible megalomaniac of a monster compared to the other elements that paint him as an entirely positive figure, if only a little bit Machiavellian in achieving his goals.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dio means God....... really makes you think

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

That's why I was talking about religious imagery and theming of Giorno and why I was confused about this idea that he was actually a horrible megalomaniac of a monster compared to the other elements that paint him as an entirely positive figure, if only a little bit Machiavellian in achieving his goals.

No offence was meant. My point is the ending to Giorno's arc is him failing to resist the temptation of power and proclaiming himself the new king of hell after he slays the Devil, and that should inform how we view his Christ imagery. Polnareff even gives him the 'destroy the One Ring Isildur!' speech and he very conspicuously doesn't.

e: the last two pages for reference, this guy is not Jesus material

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Dio means God....... really makes you think

I know you're being sarcastic but like... yeah, it does matter that his name means God, it is important. JJBA isn't just a bunch of dumb random bs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I know you're being sarcastic but like... yeah, it does matter that his name means God, it is important. JJBA isn't just a bunch of dumb random bs.

Nah I’m aware that’s why Araki named him that, I was just shot posting

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
He named him Dio because that's Ronnie James Dio's name

Though he chose that name because it means God so it's a case of great minds thinking alike

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 30, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

multijoe posted:

No offence was meant. My point is the ending to Giorno's arc is him failing to resist the temptation of power and proclaiming himself the new king of hell after he slays the Devil, and that should inform how we view his Christ imagery. Polnareff even gives him the 'destroy the One Ring Isildur!' speech and he very conspicuously doesn't.

I'd love an AU where Giorno was a better and more rounded (maybe even polarizing) character, and for him to come back as an antagonist in a future part

Actually poo poo, by changing a few things Giorno could've even shown up in part 6 and end up partly responsible for the reset

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd love an AU where Giorno was a better and more rounded (maybe even polarizing) character, and for him to come back as an antagonist in a future part

Actually poo poo, by changing a few things Giorno could've even shown up in part 6 and end up partly responsible for the reset

Araki pointing out "and oh??? GIORNO is also in the area!???" and doing nothing with it is the biggest tease of all time. I'm not really the type to get salty about him dropping a plot point and I'm honestly okay with 6's ending, but man. You're vacationing right next to cape Canaveral Giorno go see Nasa

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the idea that Giorno, Mista, and Trish are just having great time at Disney better tbh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do you think it'd have been better or worse received if part 6's ending was because of GER bullshit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Do you think it'd have been better or worse received if part 6's ending was because of GER bullshit

I want to say worse, but I know most people think GER is just cool as heck so honestly who knows.

I agree with you though, in another world Araki bringing back Giorno as an antagonist could be really interesting. I guess if you want to look at it really obliquely he eventually does with Diego, who is practically the same character portrayed in a harsher light

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pigbuster posted:

Araki pointing out "and oh??? GIORNO is also in the area!???" and doing nothing with it is the biggest tease of all time. I'm not really the type to get salty about him dropping a plot point and I'm honestly okay with 6's ending, but man. You're vacationing right next to cape Canaveral Giorno go see Nasa

he never actually says that giorno is there, i'm pretty sure

all he does is hint at the idea of 'could giorno have also showed up??' but the answer is no. it's a bit of a difference.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Giorno's final moments before getting whacked by Stairway to Heaven was hugging Mickey Mouse and loudly declaring that here is where Mickey is and that you'd have to be a total idiot to not be able to find him.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"『Gold Experience Requiem!』 You'll never reach the Mouse..."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

Yeah that's just where you and I have to agree to disagree since I see that whole bit as a positive, a flat representation that Giorno has succeeded in his goal and things will be changed for the better, with showing Giorno not only in the position of Don but specifically showing him being the Don in an open role with others acknowledging his position and accepting it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"Is Giorno Jesus Christ" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 7,298 pages of heated debate,

My take is that Giorno is indeed Jesus Christ and Bruno is Lazarus.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I think the most obvious biblical parallel in Jojo is Poor Tom as John the Baptist, since he’s the only confirmed character in canon a woman gets head from

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like the idea that Giorno, Mista, and Trish are just having great time at Disney better tbh.

Pucci's new universe didn't revert because he died, but because Giorno got pissed at all that bullshit ruining their vacation, so he undid it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Having died and been resurrected Josefumi/Josuke arguably has the stronger claim to being the Jesus JoJo

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 31, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

overmind2000 posted:

Having died and been resurrected Josefumi/Josuke arguably has the stronger claim to being the Jesus JoJo

There can be more than one bit of imagery or inspiration.

Case in point, Jojolion being the name of the part, and even this cover art.

Araki revisits and reuses themes across a lot of his work so it isn't a surprise that different characters across different parts and even different characters in the same parts can evoke that kind of imagery or fit that kind of comparison.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

overmind2000 posted:

And Joseph.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

EvanJoJolion

Dammit I just wanna see giant mechs striking ridiculous poses :(

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Giosus Giones

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6vKjDyTrU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just started watching this show and am enjoying it very much. My favorite part is when someone gets beat up

Edit:gently caress wrong thread

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 8, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Giorno’s hair turned yellow because he drinks piss and likes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sounds like Knights of Cydonia but in a good way