Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Stangg posted:

There is so much content online now where you can watch fingering (for piano too) that it's not really any issue. I agree with the hand position and posture side of things though, having someone who knows how to correct it to prevent injury is really helpful.

Fair enough. It could be just me, but I often find myself in a position where I think what I am doing is great, but my teacher can point out like 3 major flaws which become obvious once I start looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pokie posted:

Fair enough. It could be just me, but I often find myself in a position where I think what I am doing is great, but my teacher can point out like 3 major flaws which become obvious once I start looking for them.

I agree with you completely. A good teacher is absolutely invaluable.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yea i think the one thing to get in the habit of, if you are just going up or down a series of keys, on the right hand put your thumb underneath your ring finger when going right. And put your middle finger over the top of your thumb when going left.
Then on your left hand I'll put my ring finger over the thumb when going right, and the thumb under the middle when going left.
Its weird because I took lessons at like 9 years olds to 14 so I just never think about this stuff.
I think it might be fun to have a teacher really. I don't think they'll teach me anything I don't already know though. You just do it on skype or whatever?
*edit: any good teachers to recommend? I kind of want to do this now. My teacher as a kid was a very autistic lady who had a rabbit that poo poo all over the house and there were roaches in and out of the piano. So my view of teachers are a bit shaded.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 29, 2020

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Both of my recent guitar teachers were graduates of SF conservatory of music. They were both quite good. I have had plenty of substantially worse teachers before. Don't be afraid to nope out after 1-2 lessons if you are not getting what you want and try someone else.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
her rabbit poo poo all over the house, it loving stunk and the roaches would pop out the piano. She'd say "Scat roaches!" My piano teacher was crazy :stare:
She tried to paint her walls but couldn't get to the ceiling so the paint just went like 3/4ths the way up

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Was she at least amazing at playing piano?

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Contact her and tell her to give YouTube lessons. I'm imagining a cross between Helena Bonham Carter and the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons. Also random missing and broken keys on the piano

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DrOnline posted:

Contact her and tell her to give YouTube lessons. I'm imagining a cross between Helena Bonham Carter and the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons. Also random missing and broken keys on the piano

i’ll throw 5$ to see this happen

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are there any good apps for drilling sight reading? Specifically for when I'm not at the piano?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got the Adult Piano Book and practiced for a bit. Index finger being 2 is loving me up a bit, being used to 1 being index or pimac labeling. I am sure I will get used to it eventually. Also, lol I have no idea what Amazing Grace sounds like :v:.

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 31, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

prom candy posted:

Are there any good apps for drilling sight reading? Specifically for when I'm not at the piano?

I used Solfeador and Music Tutor (on Android)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I don't know the first thing about pianos. I bought a house a few months ago, and along with it came an old Wegman & Co piano. It's out of tune, the keys are hosed up, and the finish is iffy, but it seems like at one point it was quite nice. Is it worth having it restored by a professional? Any idea what that might run me, assuming it's mostly cosmetic?

The only date on it is an 1886 patent mark. The house is from the 1840s and was used as a music hall for a period, so it may well be that old.

Edit: found the serial number, manufactured in 1895! Cool antique if nothing else.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 31, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Toebone posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I don't know the first thing about pianos. I bought a house a few months ago, and along with it came an old Wegman & Co piano. It's out of tune, the keys are hosed up, and the finish is iffy, but it seems like at one point it was quite nice. Is it worth having it restored by a professional? Any idea what that might run me, assuming it's mostly cosmetic?

The only date on it is an 1886 patent mark. The house is from the 1840s and was used as a music hall for a period, so it may well be that old.

No telling without looking at the hammers and the soundboard, but odds are it'll cost you as much as a new one to restore. Worth asking if you care, but otherwise just chuck it. Sic transit gloria mundi.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, if it's been neglected (even if that's just not being tuned in a while, but it sounds worse than that if the keys are damaged) chances are a restoration will not be worth the cost. No harm in getting a quote though, if you like the idea of it being in decent condition again.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

check out ReadRhythm on the iphone

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Helianthus Annuus posted:

check out ReadRhythm on the iphone

I can't find this for some reason. I could definitely use something to work on my rhythm reading.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I can't find this for some reason. I could definitely use something to work on my rhythm reading.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rhythm-sight-reading-trainer/id396302174

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ah ok cool thanks.

This is just what I was wanting, thanks again.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 1, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here worked their way through the Piano level test and exams as an adult? Tempted to try and work towards Level 1. I need some structure for my practice.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here worked their way through the Piano level test and exams as an adult? Tempted to try and work towards Level 1. I need some structure for my practice.

As an old rear end man, I too would be interested in hearing some perspective on this.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DrOnline posted:

As an old rear end man, I too would be interested in hearing some perspective on this.

I'm not sure how being an rear end man factors into it, but if it does I'm definitely interested to hear more.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm not sure how being an rear end man factors into it, but if it does I'm definitely interested to hear more.

:yosbutt:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

This thread needs more music, so here's some Beethoven - his complete first Sonata, op. 2 #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmK82FqZ3wI

I'm recording several of his Sonatas for the bicentennial this year. It's been a fun project so far, but HARD! Op.2 #3 and Appassionata (op. 57) are next.

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 11, 2020

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
The Lego piano is out and looks amazing - https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/grand-piano-21323

I have mine but haven't started building it yet. Looks like it won't be a quick process.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Has anyone played both the Yamaha p515 and the Kawai es100? Wondering how much of an upgrade the action of the 515 would be over the Kawai, but it’s hard to visit a physical shop right now where I am. Would likely still find a way to play it before buying but curious on opinions if it would be enough of an improvement to justify the effort to try one out while all the retailers are in Covid mode.

By ‘better’ action I basically mean less of a gap when moving to acoustic pianos. The es100 isn’t awful but people are saying things have improved significantly in some of the newer digital pianos.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The Lego piano is out and looks amazing - https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/grand-piano-21323

I have mine but haven't started building it yet. Looks like it won't be a quick process.

does it actually play notes? it seems like it would but the video just has background music and no audio

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

IT BURNS posted:

This thread needs more music, so here's some Beethoven - his complete first Sonata, op. 2 #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmK82FqZ3wI

I'm recording several of his Sonatas for the bicentennial this year. It's been a fun project so far, but HARD! Op.2 #3 and Appassionata (op. 57) are next.

This is awesome. Great job!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

prom candy posted:

does it actually play notes? it seems like it would but the video just has background music and no audio

From what I can determine, while the attention to detail is impressive (height adjustable stool, closing and removable fallboard and lid, amazingly detailed recreation of piano action) and it does register a key press if you are using the play along part of the app, it doesn't register which key, just that you played one. So you can "play along" with the app by pressing keys at I guess the right time, or you can just put it in listen mode and the keys will move up and down kind of like a real player piano.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Time to spam some more Beethoven! Here's another one of his early Sonatas, the op. 2 #3 in C major (the first movement is linked here, but the rest of it follows in the playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2n5tI5a6n8

I also recorded his "Appassionata" Sonata op. 57, aka one of the goddamn best (and hardest) pieces in the piano repertoire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehl1RTAJ3aQ

....and for shits and giggles, here's Für Elise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGnmiy5FZo

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

IT BURNS posted:

Time to spam some more Beethoven! Here's another one of his early Sonatas, the op. 2 #3 in C major (the first movement is linked here, but the rest of it follows in the playlist):

I also recorded his "Appassionata" Sonata op. 57, aka one of the goddamn best (and hardest) pieces in the piano repertoire:

So you are pretty good, huh?

I like your expressiveness in reactions to Appassionata in particular. That surprise at the notes is great, as if you're just sight-reading the piece :].

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IT BURNS posted:

Awesome as usual, was there some sort of occasion or did you just feel like playing a shitload of Beethoven?

I'm polishing up the op 51 no1 rondo at the moment, you ever play it? I want to post a video and get some pointers soon.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Hey, thanks! I was actually supposed to have some concerts this year with all of these pieces. A friend set up a festival featuring a multi-pianist presentation all of the Beethoven Sonatas over the course of the Fall semester, with my portion being what I posted (Für Elise as an encore). As of now, everything is rescheduled for the Spring, so I thought I'd record them anyway since they're in my fingers.

Never played that particular Polonaise, but I'd be excited to hear it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone ever use a Yamaha P95? Any feelings about it? Coworker has one I might look at picking up on the cheaper side.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Stupid questions incoming from a guitarist who is about to start learning the piano.

1. Is a standard and useful goal to have memorised all the major and minor scales? What does this 'unlock' for your playing?
2. Like guitar, are you eventually replying on muscle memory to hit chords?
3. Would be interested to know more about reading sheet music. I am happy to learn but would like to know when the usefulness of it kicks in.
4. Where is a good place to start? Learn a song I like? Scales? Understand some basic theory? All of the above?

For context, my piano goals are: learn Ol' 55 by Tom Waits, jam some blues (both with band and playing the bass line myself), be able to play a pop song if I know the chords. I also think I could be inclined to get into theory though probably how it applies to pop composition (and maybe eventually jazz) rather than classical pieces.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Stupid questions incoming from a guitarist who is about to start learning the piano.

1. Is a standard and useful goal to have memorised all the major and minor scales? What does this 'unlock' for your playing?
3. Would be interested to know more about reading sheet music. I am happy to learn but would like to know when the usefulness of it kicks in.
4. Where is a good place to start? Learn a song I like? Scales? Understand some basic theory? All of the above?

For context, my piano goals are: learn Ol' 55 by Tom Waits, jam some blues (both with band and playing the bass line myself), be able to play a pop song if I know the chords. I also think I could be inclined to get into theory though probably how it applies to pop composition (and maybe eventually jazz) rather than classical pieces.

1. I would say generally yes. Particularly in classical, where there will be runs which you will already have the fingering locked into your muscle memory from the scales. But generally it's great for your technique, and practicing blues scales will aid your ability to play in that genre.
2. I'm not sure about relying on, but yeah generally practice in a particularly area will improve muscle memory which will aid you long term, and certainly knowing automatically where the keys are helps; in the case of chords, I guess this would be useful in particular when you are jumping around the keyboard. Extreme example being something like ragtime where these leaps are pretty big.
3. I mean it depends on what you're playing; from your stated interests it's less essential than if you're playing classical. Like, if you already know the blues scales and can play a chord just from reading its name that will cover a lot of what you mention. But if you want to play anything more intricate, that you're not generating yourself, then you will need to have a working knowledge of how to read notes. It would also aid your composing, but then, The Beatles famously couldn't read music and it didn't hinder them much.
4. It's good to do something at the beginning which yields some short term results. In my first ever guitar lesson my teacher showed me how to play Wish You Were Here and it was great to go away so early and be able to play something recognisable that I loved. You can easily learn the chords online or from a book and then translate that into playing songs you like. But I would say, if feasible, get a teacher early on, and tell them your aims. If they are any cop they should be able to guide you in the most efficient way to get to where you want to be, and crucially they will be able to help you in improving your technique.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nigel Tufnel posted:

As a guitarist who is just recently comfortably capable on piano:

You'll find that the piano keyboard, once you're comfortable with it, lays out the scales in an extremely sensible way, and makes for far less mental work than guitar to apply theory. Triads are extremely obvious, the scales are very straightforward, and since you're also learning to read sheet music, you'll be given a visual indication of your key in the key signature, telling you immediately which notes will be flat or sharp. And when it comes to piano, learning to read sheet music is immediately useful, they're pretty much made for each other.

Once you've worked out your home position and are able to comfortably place your fingers on the same notes, you'll definitely be leaning on muscle memory and able to make some enormous leaps in capability. Your fingers will start to recognize certain intervals just as they do on the guitar fretboard, with the added bonus of your hands remaining mostly in place.

I would say definitely start by picking a song you like, figuring out how to play it similarly to how you would with guitar. I've actually looked up tabs of songs I'm comfortable with on guitar and just followed along, doing arpeggios of the chords as I go. Turns out, lots of songs really are just arpeggios with some little ornaments or twists thrown in, so you should be able to comfortably back up vocals without too much practice. If you see a chord you don't know how to do, look it up, and eventually you'll start seeing how they fit together in terms of key. Alternately, just look up what key a song you know by heart is in, remember where the sharps/flats are in that key, and start messing around.

It's not classical training by any means, but I'm the kind of person who wants to just be able to bang out accomp. for my vocals and this method works for me. Good luck in your adventures, keep us posted!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm also taking up piano from guitar.

You probably want to get a method book because it will teach you the right building blocks like proper fingerings for scales and so on. Reading sheet music is essential in my opinion and the method books will teach you that slowly. You'll also go a lot faster because you already know a lot of music theory and rhythm from guitar.

I've been using the Faber Adult Piano Adventures book and just moved from book 1 to 2.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Supremely dumb question. Are chords in a given key, always made up of notes that are in the same scale.

For example, do chords in the key of B flat minor only contain notes in the scale of B flat minor?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Supremely dumb question. Are chords in a given key, always made up of notes that are in the same scale.

For example, do chords in the key of B flat minor only contain notes in the scale of B flat minor?

Novice to theory myself, but afaik yes, this is the case. The chords in a key are the chords it possible to make out of notes in the scale of that key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Nigel Tufnel posted:

basically yes. the chords of a key are just the triads made of the the notes in the scale.