Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zore posted:

I thought it was more he was second best at everything up to and including being like an inch shorter than Lews Therin. And he was bitterly jealous that he just wasn't good enough in any single area to outshine him

Wasn't that Demandred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wasn't that Demandred?

Yes, that's right it was Demandred. Sammael was just the dude who got pissed when Lews Therin got supreme command of the forces of light because he was totally a better general and betrayed them for it.

They're the two Forsaken who explicitly turn to the Shadow because they're super jealous of him

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Experiments
PAIN
Too much flesh desires
Jealous
Jealous
Jealous (and short)
Jealous (of Ilyena)
Didn't get tenure
Wanted to play music forever
Dreams??
No one could live up to her monkitude
Power???
OBLIVION

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, when you put it that way, I actually have the most sympathy for Mesaana.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ok, let's see, without a cheat sheet

silvergoose posted:

Experiments (Aginor)
PAIN (Semirhage)
Too much flesh desires (Balthamel)
Jealous (Demandred)
Jealous (Be'lal)
Jealous (and short) (Sammael)
Jealous (of Ilyena) (Lanfear)
Didn't get tenure (Mesaana)
Wanted to play music forever (Asmodean)
Dreams?? (Moghedien - but really she's actually Bernice Madoff)
No one could live up to her monkitude (Graendal)
Power??? (Rahvin)
OBLIVION (Ishamael)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeppers

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda been more Demandred yelling at Rand from across the countryside. He actually seemed very intimidating and dangerous. I kind of have a picture in my mind of a brick shithouse ready to crush people. I bet that coin armor looked rad as gently caress.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 29, 2020

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've started a re-read and had forgot that in book 6 the plot kinda relys on the aes saidai deciding that when someone gets stabbed and told 'stay away from the dragon' that the obvious answer is the dragon ordered it.

I never really thought about how much the thesis of the series is 'everyone is acting on incomplete information'

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've started a re-read and had forgot that in book 6 the plot kinda relys on the aes saidai deciding that when someone gets stabbed and told 'stay away from the dragon' that the obvious answer is the dragon ordered it.

I never really thought about how much the thesis of the series is 'everyone is acting on incomplete information'

Honestly the way he handled rumor, fog of war, having to make decisions without full knowledge is one of the biggest strengths of the series. It allows for a lot of conflict and tension that is believable.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A pretty huge percentage of the common complaints are from people forgetting that whole incomplete information part.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gnoman posted:

A pretty huge percentage of the common complaints are from people forgetting that whole incomplete information part.

It does have some merit though. Eventually a significant amount of people can Travel, and they actually use it to send messages on a regular basis. The Black Tower uses it fairly often to scout out areas where their armies are to find the enemy as you don't need a very good impression of the area to go to somewhere close. There's no reason the Aes Sedai, known to have agents and spies everywhere, wouldn't be using that constantly to find out about areas where they have concerns.

Not bringing the three Ta'varen together is one thing, but at some point someone should have said "Ok, the Dragon is definitely back. Maybe we should actually talk to the Sea Folk and the Aes Sedai and some of the other countries about the upcoming apocalypse". The Aes Sedai alone should have been using it to try and control all the other countries, or poo poo, just contacting their spy networks in a faster way than pigeons. That's where my frustration comes from. It's one thing to have incomplete information, but to willfully ignore a way to help mitigate that is something else entirely.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I've probably complained about it before in this thread but Rand cleaned Saidin and didn't tell anyone. He had a full entourage of theoretically capable, intelligent people like Cadsuane, Verin, Nyneave, and a dozen or so other Aes Sedai and none of them decided to tell anyone. They should have been sending messages to everyone on the continent saying what they had done. Sure most people wouldn't believe them immediately, but anyone who can channel would at least have some explanation for the enormous beacon of power they felt for an entire day and they would have to ponder it. You have to start priming them to believe it eventually and it's just absurd that no one decided to spread the word.

For all that I love these books and that the constant theme of misinformation or incomplete information works most of the time that one event rubs me the wrong way every time I think about it. It does not help that I vaguely recall some interview with RJ from way back when Crossroads came out talking briefly about its poor reception and he said something about planning it to be a book about the world reacting to Winter's Heart's climax but realized halfway in that wasn't working and just kinda started moving forward rather than rewriting it. But I feel like half the reason it didn't work is because no one can react when they have no idea what happened, it would have made more sense for them to be told, and it might've made his original plan work. Just so frustrating to think about.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the most annoying part of 6 is how Jordan realized the dream world is too hard to write secrets around, so he finagled it so no one could actually use it once it was revealed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Nobody believed it was cleansed anyways, that included actual male channelers. It was a very cool event for the readers but ultimately it was just an excuse not to have to write about Rand going insane anymore.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

seaborgium posted:

It does have some merit though. Eventually a significant amount of people can Travel, and they actually use it to send messages on a regular basis. The Black Tower uses it fairly often to scout out areas where their armies are to find the enemy as you don't need a very good impression of the area to go to somewhere close. There's no reason the Aes Sedai, known to have agents and spies everywhere, wouldn't be using that constantly to find out about areas where they have concerns.

Not bringing the three Ta'varen together is one thing, but at some point someone should have said "Ok, the Dragon is definitely back. Maybe we should actually talk to the Sea Folk and the Aes Sedai and some of the other countries about the upcoming apocalypse". The Aes Sedai alone should have been using it to try and control all the other countries, or poo poo, just contacting their spy networks in a faster way than pigeons. That's where my frustration comes from. It's one thing to have incomplete information, but to willfully ignore a way to help mitigate that is something else entirely.
this was basically siuans plan right? keep him on a leash and clear his path, make sure he survives to the last battle. then elaida came along and was basically being manipulated by the black ajah into never doing anything useful

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i mean, siuan and moiraine kind of had a plan in mind to help ease people into the idea of the dragon being back but that sort of imploded because other members of the 'Eternal Plotting and Backroom Deals' club decided that this plot was apparently too far, all kind of spurred on by the literal evil people

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

this was basically siuans plan right? keep him on a leash and clear his path, make sure he survives to the last battle. then elaida came along and was basically being manipulated by the black ajah into never doing anything useful

It was, I'm not saying poo poo wouldn't have gotten destroyed by idiots/Black Ajah or whoever, but the fact that literally 2 people had that idea and everyone else said "I don't know, maybe we should steal the next door neighbors cows after they vomit beetles until they die" is kind of odd.

I'll admit there's a lot of stuff that is explained by incomplete information, that's all good. But there comes a point where it's just willful ignorance and that's what I think a lot of people have a problem with. It's just easier to say no one talks to each other as that happens in lots of media and it's frustrating there too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

seaborgium posted:

It was, I'm not saying poo poo wouldn't have gotten destroyed by idiots/Black Ajah or whoever, but the fact that literally 2 people had that idea and everyone else said "I don't know, maybe we should steal the next door neighbors cows after they vomit beetles until they die" is kind of odd.

I'll admit there's a lot of stuff that is explained by incomplete information, that's all good. But there comes a point where it's just willful ignorance and that's what I think a lot of people have a problem with. It's just easier to say no one talks to each other as that happens in lots of media and it's frustrating there too.

I mean it's also incredibly realistic. See: the U.S. response to COVID-19

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I work retail and there are people who keep telling me it's fake. Three people that work at my store have died from covid so far

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zore posted:

I mean it's also incredibly realistic. See: the U.S. response to COVID-19

You beat me to it but never underestimate the willful stupidity of people, particularly when they are jostling for power

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I work retail and there are people who keep telling me it's fake. Three people that work at my store have died from covid so far

woah, how many people work at your store?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

UltraRed posted:

woah, how many people work at your store?

180 to 200 iirc.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

seaborgium posted:

To me it's a strength of the series that characters act within the confines of the institutions they're in, notable exception being obvious. My favorite example right now is Carridin. He has realistic motivations, acts in a way that seems rational to achieve his goals, and winds up being forced to make decisions that seem irrational but are really his only choices given the available options. Elaida isn't going to reach out to rand and try to help him, not because it's irrational, but because it's not what the white tower and especially her red ajah would do as an organization. Many characters talk about duty and expectations being a burden that prevents them from doing what they think is right (or in some cases easy.) I think this is an underanalyzed aspect of the series that helps to set it above most other fantasy series and fiction in general.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There's also the matter of them having received enough information that their prejudices fill in the rest of the blanks and that being too much of an inertial force to change. Pedron Niall is one of those where he keeps trying to fit all the pieces of the puzzle into a framework he understands until absolutely too late to do what he needed to be doing.

e.g.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Stubborn guy rejects advice, empirical data, and personal experience to pursue prejudice-based course of action in all things

But most/all of the characters tend to fall into that trap at some point or other.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 2, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There's also the matter of them having received enough information that their prejudices fill in the rest of the blanks and that being too much of an inertial force to change. Pedron Niall is one of those where he keeps trying to fit all the pieces of the puzzle into a framework he understands until absolutely too late to do what he needed to be doing.

e.g.

But most/all of the characters tend to fall into that trap at some point or other.

well said. Jordan doesn't show you the empirical data by accident and then forget about it when characters make decisions.

Throughout his career Niall (and pretty much everyone else in power) has gotten to where he is by scheming, using the power of the whitecloaks as a hammer and velvet glove, manipulating events and using leverage on people. that's who he is, his methods have worked for him up to this point, if he suddenly started acting in good faith for the best interests of the world at large it would actually be pretty lovely writing.

there's a lot of parallels you can draw right now like someone already has upthread to the Coronavirus in the US. There's a big extrinsic force pushing institutions and the individuals within them to work for the public good, and making it rational to do so , but the institutions have not caught up to the new reality and are continuing to act as they always have.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

well said. Jordan doesn't show you the empirical data by accident and then forget about it when characters make decisions.

Throughout his career Niall (and pretty much everyone else in power) has gotten to where he is by scheming, using the power of the whitecloaks as a hammer and velvet glove, manipulating events and using leverage on people. that's who he is, his methods have worked for him up to this point, if he suddenly started acting in good faith for the best interests of the world at large it would actually be pretty lovely writing.

there's a lot of parallels you can draw right now like someone already has upthread to the Coronavirus in the US. There's a big extrinsic force pushing institutions and the individuals within them to work for the public good, and making it rational to do so , but the institutions have not caught up to the new reality and are continuing to act as they always have.

Yeah Niall was great because he was a canny and brilliant operator, recognized that Tarmon Gaidon was coming, and sought the unification of the continent to meet it (with him at the head leading the forces of Light, naturally)

And his beliefs and inclinations led him to dismiss information about the Seanchan from an incredibly trusted agent, disbelieve the broken White Tower as a trick or ruse, and of the dissent within his ranks that ultimately got him killed. By the stupid, gullible Omerna of all people no less

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It makes absolutely perfect sense for him to think the Tower is playing a trick. I liked the Niall character.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I liked how natural his blinders were, and how his abritrary skepticism still made sense in the setting. "Some say the Last Battle will involve the Dark One breaking free and the resurrected Dragon coming to fight him. What nonsense, the Creator would never allow that! It is just going to be a huge force of Trollocs lead by the witches, who are pretending to be against the Dark One to keep us off guard!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

To me it's a strength of the series that characters act within the confines of the institutions they're in, notable exception being obvious. My favorite example right now is Carridin. He has realistic motivations, acts in a way that seems rational to achieve his goals, and winds up being forced to make decisions that seem irrational but are really his only choices given the available options. Elaida isn't going to reach out to rand and try to help him, not because it's irrational, but because it's not what the white tower and especially her red ajah would do as an organization. Many characters talk about duty and expectations being a burden that prevents them from doing what they think is right (or in some cases easy.) I think this is an underanalyzed aspect of the series that helps to set it above most other fantasy series and fiction in general.

it’s this.

honestly, if you expect anything other than this in anything Jordan was writing, you should probably read a different series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah uh Jaichim Carridin, holy poo poo is it awful to be an evil henchman in this universe. You ALMOST sympathize with him.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Got enough brandy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know why anyone would be a dark friend, they don’t really seem to get anything out of it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t know why anyone would be a dark friend, they don’t really seem to get anything out of it.

People are stupid and desperate for any road to wealth and power. Most of them don't really know what they're signing up for until it's far too late to back out. A lot of people did it not even really believing that the Dark One existed and just saw it as another way to climb the social ladder. There's any number of real world parallels where people actively support organizations, groups, or ideologies that actively work against them and objectively make their lives and the world around them worse.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

UltraRed posted:

it’s this.

honestly, if you expect anything other than this in anything Jordan was writing, you should probably read a different series.

the issue, mainly, is that he tends to err on the side of humans being super myopic and rigid more often then he does flexible and able to learn new things. most people are able to adopt a growth mindset in the real world. it's pessimism being peddled as reality and it's hard to buy.

for example, there is no way that the Aiel would stay so rigid on their beliefs after spending so much time in the "wetlands" and around new belief systems. after the hundredth "thats not honorable!!" it gets pretty old.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Famethrowa posted:

the issue, mainly, is that he tends to err on the side of humans being super myopic and rigid more often then he does flexible and able to learn new things. most people are able to adopt a growth mindset in the real world. it's pessimism being peddled as reality and it's hard to buy.

for example, there is no way that the Aiel would stay so rigid on their beliefs after spending so much time in the "wetlands" and around new belief systems. after the hundredth "thats not honorable!!" it gets pretty old.

Seems pretty realistic actually. People tend to be a lot more rigid and stubborn especially when they have a superiority complex.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Seems pretty realistic actually. People tend to be a lot more rigid and stubborn especially when they have a superiority complex.

That, and the Shaido actively accepted and changed a lot of things: forcing wetlanders to be gai'shain, abusing the interpretations of taking the fifth, and a willingness to overlook Sevanna just completely breaking all the rules as a weird Clan Chief, Roofmistress, and Wise One hybrid. They also had Aiel join them from Rand's forces and vice-versa, depending on what they as individuals could stomach

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also, the Aiel change a lot over the course of the books.

A ton of them abandon their spears and run off, either joining the Shaido, or trying to become Tinkers, or even just settling down in non-Aiel lands and trying to live as wetlanders (Rand runs into some Aiel manservants in Far Madding and is quietly freaked out). The Shaido grow "corrupted" by the wetlands, abandoning the Waste and creating a small slave-state before getting smashed by Perrin and the Seanchan. Even the Aiel that stick with Rand find their attitudes changing a lot; look out how they view Aes Sedai in the Dragon Reborn vs. how they view Aes Sedai by the last battle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

and a willingness to overlook Sevanna just completely breaking all the rules as a weird Clan Chief, Roofmistress, and Wise One hybrid

this sounds familiar

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

DarkHorse posted:

That, and the Shaido actively accepted and changed a lot of things: forcing wetlanders to be gai'shain, abusing the interpretations of taking the fifth, and a willingness to overlook Sevanna just completely breaking all the rules as a weird Clan Chief, Roofmistress, and Wise One hybrid. They also had Aiel join them from Rand's forces and vice-versa, depending on what they as individuals could stomach

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, the Aiel change a lot over the course of the books.

A ton of them abandon their spears and run off, either joining the Shaido, or trying to become Tinkers, or even just settling down in non-Aiel lands and trying to live as wetlanders (Rand runs into some Aiel manservants in Far Madding and is quietly freaked out). The Shaido grow "corrupted" by the wetlands, abandoning the Waste and creating a small slave-state before getting smashed by Perrin and the Seanchan. Even the Aiel that stick with Rand find their attitudes changing a lot; look out how they view Aes Sedai in the Dragon Reborn vs. how they view Aes Sedai by the last battle.

but see, all of these changes are viewed as a corruption or outright a bad thing. very few characters, outside of the main cast, have a positive interaction with a different "normal" that is integrated into how they view the world. where are the aiel characters who aren't evil or "cowardly" befriending a random cairhenian and learning from one another through cultural exchange? Jordan could have built some real emotional resonance in this way and just doesn't.

don't get me wrong, I overall liked how Jordan presented the "iron law of institutions" when it came to the White Tower and Whitecloaks since it felt very real, but the way he treated individual human characters as being mostly flawed and rigid, gets pretty wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I don't know, I think as much as possible, except for the corruption of the Shaido, mostly anything any Aiel decide for themselves is accepted, even if POV characters go "uh that's weird and unusual and I'm not used to that"