Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Let people pass if you're on quiet one lane country roads. don't fight drivers or chase drivers or do any dumb poo poo like that. it's all too much hassle and they'll just think you're an insane twat.

Inevitably you'll probably get hit by a car at some point. I've been winged a few times and even if the driver hits and runs the police don't give a crap so just don't worry about it honestly and just ride bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hemale in pain posted:

Let people pass if you're on quiet one lane country roads. don't fight drivers or chase drivers or do any dumb poo poo like that. it's all too much hassle and they'll just think you're an insane twat.

Inevitably you'll probably get hit by a car at some point. I've been winged a few times and even if the driver hits and runs the police don't give a crap so just don't worry about it honestly and just ride bikes.

Clarification is probably good here.

If a quiet country road has one lane in each direction, the motorist should switch lanes completely to make the pass. If it's a truly narrow road, then occupy the lane until they have slowed, then move to the side when it is safe to do so. I tend to ride near the shoulder, but still make myself wide enough so a driver is discouraged from passing. Motorists usually understand than I will give them room when it is appropriate to do so. I also hold my hand out and down, palm facing backward to make sure the driver gets the point, then give them a thumb-up when it's safe to pass.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does anyone live in Japan and would be willing to shop and ship a helmet for me?
One of these:
http://ysroad.co.jp/ueno-wearkan/2020/05/03/23368
https://www.cyclecube.com/?p=39504

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

If a quiet country road has one lane in each direction, the motorist should switch lanes completely to make the pass. If it's a truly narrow road, then occupy the lane until they have slowed, then move to the side when it is safe to do so. I tend to ride near the shoulder, but still make myself wide enough so a driver is discouraged from passing. Motorists usually understand than I will give them room when it is appropriate to do so. I also hold my hand out and down, palm facing backward to make sure the driver gets the point, then give them a thumb-up when it's safe to pass.
Most motorists really appreciate this kind of communication in my experience. You’ll never please the turbomad bike haters ofc, but I often get hazard light flashes or a friendly beep and wave when I actively signal a driver to go past me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly the most annoying thing that isn't carelessness/dangerous driving is when people decide to be "nice" and hold up at intersections despite arriving first/having ROW, rather than just going, leading to that "wait who's going to go" standoff that can end in both people trying to go at once. just go, man!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly the most annoying thing that isn't carelessness/dangerous driving is when people decide to be "nice" and hold up at intersections despite arriving first/having ROW, rather than just going, leading to that "wait who's going to go" standoff that can end in both people trying to go at once. just go, man!

On my ride this morning someone stopped in the middle of a major roundabout for me to join in front of them, while I was stationary. That helped no-one!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone live in Japan and would be willing to shop and ship a helmet for me?
One of these:

Amazon Japan has it - think you can make an account there and can probably work out?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Augh. Why is it so hard to just follow the rules of the road.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bicievino posted:

Because half the people don't know the rules and the other half don't care.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

Well I can probably count on one hand the number of cars which safely overtake me every day but I'm usually happy as long as I can't elbow their mirror but i do agree with everything there. I should note I do ride defensively before anyone says I should hog the lane to stop that, but even with a mile of straight road and no oncoming traffic people will still brush past you. People in cars who don't ride bikes just don't get that they're doing anything wrong.

jesus WEP posted:

Most motorists really appreciate this kind of communication in my experience. You’ll never please the turbomad bike haters ofc, but I often get hazard light flashes or a friendly beep and wave when I actively signal a driver to go past me.

The worst is when someone honks their horn as a friendly gesture RIGHT NEXT to you. That poo poo is loud.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

like, I don't want to get into ~vehicular cycling~ because that's a stupid debate, but in most cases it's much better for everyone involved to just be predictable

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Finally picked up my new bike from the shop and went for a ride. Feels good to just ride. Waiting for the blendr attachments to come in for wahoo/light then I’ll be all set.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Just got my bike back from its first tune up in 2+ years. Turns out it needed a new chain and cassette :stare: Thanks, friendly regional bike shop + artisanal coffee roaster. (I didn't know about the coffee until I walked in - it was extremely my poo poo)

Is there a site/app/secret society that maps out what roads have shoulders or bike lanes? I'll be moving to the greater DC metro area before long and I'm trying to find a place where I can just get on a road with a shoulder and go without fearing for my life.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

The cafe part of my local bike shop/paint studio/cafe has shut down :(

It was a really cool space, good coffee and cake, always had cycling on the TVs, and loads of room to store a bike inside while you're there. They often had talks or film screenings on in the evening and GCN have done a couple of vids from there, but COVID has killed the cafe side of the business.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red Crown posted:

Just got my bike back from its first tune up in 2+ years. Turns out it needed a new chain and cassette :stare: Thanks, friendly regional bike shop + artisanal coffee roaster. (I didn't know about the coffee until I walked in - it was extremely my poo poo)

Is there a site/app/secret society that maps out what roads have shoulders or bike lanes? I'll be moving to the greater DC metro area before long and I'm trying to find a place where I can just get on a road with a shoulder and go without fearing for my life.

Google has a cycling mode which is vaguely acceptable, but DC has enough cycling infrastructure that the city and local clubs probably have good maps.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Google has a cycling mode which is vaguely acceptable, but DC has enough cycling infrastructure that the city and local clubs probably have good maps.

Road conditions for riding within the DC metro area varies widely between jurisdictions from "marginally okay" to "you're going to die". Google is generally accurate in the area as far as facilities, but some of their routing is wonky.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Amazon Japan has it - think you can make an account there and can probably work out?

Got it -- I had to fumble around with translate before I could add an America shipping address.
Here's hoping the S/M sizing (a very narrow 55-58) works for me :pray:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^
Reasonable chance they will cancel the sale due to shipping issues.

kimbo305 posted:

One of these:

Shipping from Japan is either hyper expensive these days or really slow. EMS Japan-US is not accepting packages (they will take letters). You either get surface mail (1-3mo) or UPS/Fedex wihcih will be $100+.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Good point about discouraging passing in unsafe spots - thanks. I honestly have been out of the saddle for a couple of years and this summer has been my return, and I'm finding I'm suddenly a huge chickenshit about certain things that never used to bug me. I probably should hold my lane more in hills and blind turns, because I've been staying in the right side of the wheel groove, so about 1' from the shoulder and that just leaves enough room for some people to squeak by.

Another thing I've noticed is descents. I used to descend in the proper and correct way: with little to no regard for my personal safety. Now I'm trimming the brakes going into turns and just wasting all that speed and I'd say I descent at like 60% of my old speed. Hopefully this comes back. :smith:

hemale in pain posted:

:yeah:

e: quote

former glory fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2020

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hadn't even thought about local clubs - that's going to help a lot, thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Red Crown posted:

strava global heat map is a good start to see where everyone else is riding

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

This.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

First day with the M540s:

They're nice, especially now that I don't have to worry about having the correct side to clip in any more. The only problems so far are me being used to the platform when I put my foot back on, so I missed the pedal a couple times, and it's a bit harder to unclip, but that may be a combo of breaking in the pedals and muscle memory.

That being said, how good are the Fly Pedals conversion platforms? I'm debating that and PD-T8000s for when I go back to winter mode.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iospace posted:

it's a bit harder to unclip, but that may be a combo of breaking in the pedals

That should be solely determined by the tension settings; check where in the range the pedals are set to.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

iospace posted:

That being said, how good are the Fly Pedals conversion platforms? I'm debating that and PD-T8000s for when I go back to winter mode.

I have the Fly Pedals V2 and they've done their job the couple of times I've used them. My experience with them is very limited but I'm happy to have them. Downsides are that they weight one side and need to be flipped every time you take your foot off and they add a little height to the pedals, throwing off your fit a bit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

e.pilot posted:

Just do a double check sometimes with street view as sometimes you get hosed by roads they shutdown once a year and run a century or something on it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Was helping a broke college student friend pick out a bike and they're out of her size but now I kinda want one for myself even though my single speed is fully adequate for the once or twice a month I ride on pavement

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_sl.htm

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

nm posted:

Just do a double check sometimes with street view as sometimes you get hosed by roads they shutdown once a year and run a century or something on it.

This is really smart. There's also sidewalks and road surface to consider. Both of which have caused me issues because I was lazy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kimbo305 posted:

That should be solely determined by the tension settings; check where in the range the pedals are set to.

Its the black cleats, so I think I'm pulling my foot up a little like I used to, instead of simply twisting out. I noticed that a few times so I'm chalking it up to muscle memory.

BeastPussy posted:

I have the Fly Pedals V2 and they've done their job the couple of times I've used them. My experience with them is very limited but I'm happy to have them. Downsides are that they weight one side and need to be flipped every time you take your foot off and they add a little height to the pedals, throwing off your fit a bit.

Alright, might get those instead of a second set of pedals.

Now watch me get that second set anyway for the commuter.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Alright. Been looking at a lot of bikes. Everything I really liked had a flaw...

Grail CF SL 7.0 - $2,500k, out of stock
Haanjo 7c Carbon - $2,800, out of stock
2019 Salsa Warbird - $2,600, out of stock (called)
Terra C Ultegra - $2,800, out of stock

Any thoughts for something similar that might actually be in stock ? Looking for something I can ride fast on lovely roads and trails and 1-2 times a year take on a multi day, light touring trip. The 2019 Warbird was really promising, but no one has those in stock anymore and the 2020 version doesn't have 105s (2x-11)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My Tickr heart rate chest strap is starting to act up, even after changing the batteries it's reporting the same heart rate for 4 or 5 minutes sometimes and never a rate below 120 bpm.

I'm looking at getting a Tickr fit to replace it, but seems like it could be awkward to wear with long sleeve jerseys. I know lots of people here have them and seem to like them, so maybe that's not such an issue?

The other complaint I read was about non-regulation tan lines :v:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Heliosicle posted:

My Tickr heart rate chest strap is starting to act up, even after changing the batteries it's reporting the same heart rate for 4 or 5 minutes sometimes and never a rate below 120 bpm.

I'm looking at getting a Tickr fit to replace it, but seems like it could be awkward to wear with long sleeve jerseys. I know lots of people here have them and seem to like them, so maybe that's not such an issue?

The other complaint I read was about non-regulation tan lines :v:

About once a month during the winter I'll forget to put it on and have to take my jersey and jacket back off to put it on, but besides that, meh.

It works fine. The only time it has been totally busted is when it's well below freezing, and I think I just had so little circulation in my arms that it wasn't reading proper.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Alright. Been looking at a lot of bikes. Everything I really liked had a flaw...

Any thoughts for something similar that might actually be in stock ? Looking for something I can ride fast on lovely roads and trails and 1-2 times a year take on a multi day, light touring trip. The 2019 Warbird was really promising, but no one has those in stock anymore and the 2020 version doesn't have 105s (2x-11)

does it have to be CF? steel is real...real good

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Development posted:

does it have to be CF? steel is real...real good

Examples?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

When you say "light touring" do you mean rack + panniers touring or bikepacking bags?

What kind of tire size you looking for?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

bicievino posted:

When you say "light touring" do you mean rack + panniers touring or bikepacking bags?

What kind of tire size you looking for?

2 panniers max, less than 30 pounds total.

Would prefer 700s between 34-40.

Edit: vvv Looked at the Ribble, but it looks like it's preorder only. If I'm waiting, I think will wait for the Haanjo 7c. The Kesterl Terx looked like exactly what I wanted, but I can barely tell if its a real bike after calling the only U.S. dealer.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 4, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

2 panniers max, less than 30 pounds total.

Would prefer 700s between 34-40.

I think you should get a Ribble CGR AL. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-orange-shimano-ultegra/

edit: also sold out lmao sorry

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Depending on size, Knolly Cache GRX builds I think are in stock for around $2800. I came very close to buying the TI version before I chickened out at the price tag, before they had a steel option.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

What size are you? Vaast might have their A1 in stock–they're a new brand so it's not like they had retailers already. JensonUSA stocks them online. PathLessPedaled just did a quick first impressions that was positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

The 2020 Warbird has a GRX 600 model. That’s Shimanos gravel groupset equal to 105.

EDIT: Also, take a look at the All City Cosmic Stallion.

flickmaker fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 4, 2020