Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Have you tried biting him on the ear real quick? Kedah was getting out of control about a schnauzer on a walk so i nipped her on the ear. Next time we passed that dog she sat and stayed sat when i told her and it took a couple days before she started being reactive to dogs again at her usual level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hot sauce toenail polish

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rock My Socks! posted:

So our 3 month old Lab is getting worse with the biting- he constantly follows me around the house biting at my toes HARD (he has drown blood a few times at this point). He doesn’t really do this to my wife at all.

We have tried everything recommended online (yelping, redirecting, ignoring)- nothing is working. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but it’s kind of getting to the point where I want him gone.

Any suggestions?

As with a lot of puppy biting issues, there’s a very good chance that this will start to decrease once he’s done teething at around 6 months, at least in my experience.

That being said it’s interesting that he’s not doing it to your wife. Is there anything different about the way you and your wife interact with him? It sounds like he’s trying to “herd” you but not her.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

hot sauce toenail polish

You know, we do have a bottle of bitter apple spray for furniture chewing. Maybe I could put some on my feet?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

As with a lot of puppy biting issues, there’s a very good chance that this will start to decrease once he’s done teething at around 6 months, at least in my experience.

That being said it’s interesting that he’s not doing it to your wife. Is there anything different about the way you and your wife interact with him? It sounds like he’s trying to “herd” you but not her.

I’d say we interact with him in roughly the same way. He has always favored her a bit; I’ve heard this is common since women tend to have higher voices. He does bite at my wife’s hands and face a bit, but that’s a little easier to control since you can just pull those parts of your body away from him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rock My Socks! posted:

You know, we do have a bottle of bitter apple spray for furniture chewing. Maybe I could put some on my feet?

I’d say we interact with him in roughly the same way. He has always favored her a bit; I’ve heard this is common since women tend to have higher voices. He does bite at my wife’s hands and face a bit, but that’s a little easier to control since you can just pull those parts of your body away from him.

When he was a puppy my shepherd would try to herd my stepson by nipping at his toes/heels but wouldn’t do it to anyone else. Me, he would chomp my arms; my girlfriend he wouldn’t nip at all. The way we handled it was by having a leash clipped to him at all times that he was out but supervised. Just a clip lead, no slips or unsupervised for obvious reasons. In any case, when he would misbehave we would grab the leash and walk him away from the problem until he calmed, or worse (in his mind) separate him via a baby gate. Redirecting to an appropriate toy worked eventually as well. The important thing is to be consistent and not expect instant results. Even with puppies it can take weeks/months to weed out unwanted behaviors.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We adopted an 8mo old two weeks ago she's been sleeping fine so far, until last night.
The first few nights we crated her in our room, but now we're letting her sleep in the room out of the crate.

Last night she started barking at 3am and we took her out and she did pee, but then she kept barking for a few hours.

We're trying the 'ignore until they stop' but it's difficult since we're in a two family home and there's a bedroom right above ours

Any suggestions?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You're the only one that knows your dog. Killing rodents is NBD imho, that's what dogs are for, not cat killing. Breed may influence this advise.

Introduce supervised through a door to start then gate. Don't force things, especially with adult cats and/or strays. Target a month at least. Feed both near the door so they get near and smell each-other. I tried to get an adult cat and she'd only come out to swipe at my sweet sleeping hound even after 8 months so she had to be returned. Two years later I got kittens which can sleep on my dogs and were AOK day 3 together. Kittens are fearless though and the dogs were more scared of them.

Well, it's my SIL's dog but I've lived with them for over a couple years now. The dog is a pit/american bulldog/boxer mix of some sort, I'm not entirely sure about dog breeds. I think the bird/squirrel thing is just a prey response because of how skittish they act around the dog and humans mostly. The new cat is young, but not a kitten, she's very sweet and loving actually, she doesn't seem to mind the dog through the door and the dog mostly just seems "concerned" rather than aggressive or friendly if that makes sense. As for adopting the cat, no idea. Basically it would have to not have a chip/no owners be found(although I suspect it was probably a kitten someone got then got tired of and put out a few months later), my roommates would have to agree to it, and more importantly, I would have to actually decide to take on that responsibility. So that's up in the air, I mostly just wanted to get an idea on the protocol for the dog thing so that's why I posted it in here.

e: let them meet supervised with a person for each animal, it actually went pretty good. Dog is mostly just curious. Still will be very careful if she winds up staying with us.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 1, 2020

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got a sentient push broom a couple months ago. He'll be 6 months in a couple weeks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That’s a dang cute dog you have there. Looks a lot like my Dexter:

Any idea what breed yours is? We were told Dexter is a Yorkie Corgi, but he’s more like a Chihuahua according to the Embark DNA test.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't be sending out your dog's DNA, they'll send it to the FBI and the dog won't be able to Do Crimes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cairn Terrier. He has papers and his parents were champion pullers! I actually need to finish registering him on the AKC site. The breeder started it and we just have to fill in his official name I think? We tried when we first got him but the site was acting wonky. We're going to try to register his name as *The Kennel's Name" Chewbacca Legendary Wookiee Warrior

We're not into showing dogs, but we're thinking about either getting into pulling or barn hunting with him.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

That is some Professional level splooting right there folks.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Splooting doesn't stop for anyone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Splooting doesn't stop for anyone.

:hmmyes:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So my dog lives under my couch, and I want to keep her from doing that. Does anyone have good solutions for that? I see these plastic toy stopper things but I don't really want to stick stuff to the floor as I'm planning to put in a wood floor in a few months.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 3, 2020

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone here had good luck with no-pull harnesses (ie the kind that hook to the leash at the chest?

My 3MO lab is fine for the first half of each walk, but starts to pull like crazy on the second half when he figures out that we’re heading home.

We’re tried the usual tactics (stopping/reversing direction when he pulls), but it just doesn’t seem to be ‘clickinng’ with him.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Rock My Socks! posted:

Anyone here had good luck with no-pull harnesses (ie the kind that hook to the leash at the chest?

My 3MO lab is fine for the first half of each walk, but starts to pull like crazy on the second half when he figures out that we’re heading home.

We’re tried the usual tactics (stopping/reversing direction when he pulls), but it just doesn’t seem to be ‘clickinng’ with him.

We use a front harness on our 60lbs doodle and he's a perfect gentleman. But if we try to walk him on a flat collar, he tries to strangle himself with pulling. I would absolutely recommend using the harness. Ours is a PetSafe one like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rodtag175582-20

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We’re getting this one on Wednesday so I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/PHOEPET-Upgraded-Reflective-Adjustable-Training/dp/B07RBMPTK8

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rock My Socks! posted:

They can work really well just make sure to take the time to fit it really well (obviously might be hard with a squirrelly puppy) otherwise they have a tendency to slide around which will lessen the effectiveness.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The front clip harnesses are fine, sort of, but not accepting ANY pulling at ANY time, consistently, will be your real solution here. It’s a strategy I have used with horses and reins for years - I learned it from our trainer. Set a pressure you will allow in your hand, and allow no more than that. Stop every time and don’t move forward until the pressure releases. When I’m training it, I hold the loop of the leash with a single finger (with a backup secured just in case of crazy puppy). If the pressure is uncomfortable for a single finger, it’s too much pressure.

A lot of our early walks were half an hour to literally go around the block, but now at 6 months my husky mix barely ever pulls, and it only takes a very mild correction to get her to back off.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
What's the most effective way to get a puppy to stop flipping his absolute poo poo when he gets near one of our cats? It's not in a mean way. He's not agressive but he gets super excited and loudly barks and jumps around.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

cailleask posted:

The front clip harnesses are fine, sort of, but not accepting ANY pulling at ANY time, consistently, will be your real solution here. It’s a strategy I have used with horses and reins for years - I learned it from our trainer. Set a pressure you will allow in your hand, and allow no more than that. Stop every time and don’t move forward until the pressure releases. When I’m training it, I hold the loop of the leash with a single finger (with a backup secured just in case of crazy puppy). If the pressure is uncomfortable for a single finger, it’s too much pressure.

A lot of our early walks were half an hour to literally go around the block, but now at 6 months my husky mix barely ever pulls, and it only takes a very mild correction to get her to back off.

Our trainer taught us this as well, and you can apply the pressure principle to a lot of other training aspects. It worked great with my male shepherd but my female lab just will not be tamed. Even our trainer said she’s one of the most stubborn dogs she’s ever worked with. Luckily she’s just naturally a good girl and the only issues with her are leash walking and barking at joggers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sploot posting

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The gentle leader worked great on my hound dog. I think it annoyed the poo poo out of her so now she walks nice with just the flat collar.

It kind of works with my other two dogs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll say this, technique over tools is almost always more effective. Relying on a specific leash to walk on a loose leash doesn't always have lasting results. Some dogs walk well in a gentle leader, others will still pull. It depends on the dog. It takes a lot of time with stubborn dogs. My pointer is a fast walker but also wants to stop and sniff everything. God forbid there's a squirrel or bird.

As posted above, have a tension that you won't accept, it should be pretty light. For me, it's the moment the leash gets taught enough to move my hand, I hit the brakes. It's really annoying but after repeated use, they'll get it. Consistency is key.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So my puppy is beginning to ignore her name. I've got two kids (5 and 8) who are constantly riding on it, and I'm liking my odds better with training the puppy than them. Should I just train her to a new name (e.g. "puppy" or whatever), or should I just keep working on her real name? It's gotten bad enough where she's only looking at me when I call her maybe 50% of the time, and almost never when there's stimulus around.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Picking up our new pup on Friday. All the crate training tips say never to force your pup into the crate, and to instead use treats to get them to go in on their own. Does that include when you take him/her out at 3am to pee? We have outdoor stairs down from our 2nd story entrance, so we will be carrying her up/down. Is it ok to carry her up and place her into the crate after she has to pee in the middle of the night? Or should we be breaking out treats then too?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wife and I are picking up a new puppy on Saturday. He's a black lab mutt from a rescue and will be just around 12 weeks old when we get him home. He's been fostered for the last month in a home with several other dogs, cats, kids so at least has had some opportunity for socialization.

The only info we had on the dog about training was that he was "being housebroken". We've been reading up on the 2 pdf books linked in the OP as well as some of the youtube videos from that same authors training program.

Is there anything especially important for a 12 week old pup to go right into?

We will have him in a ~16 sq ft pen with their crate inside of that.
Should we try to install a doggie toilet in the pen area or just a puppy pad?

Also, for nighttime I assume we can just move the crate to our bedroom and that way am able to monitor when it needs to go out in the middle of the night? If so should we just do that once the pup is asleep or does it matter all that much? I was just concerned that crating him then moving him to a different spot might wake him up more etc and not want to get to sleep.

We are previous dog owners, although they were adults when we got them. We're both entirely 'work from home' through the rest of this year, so figured if we were ever going to get a puppy now was probably the only chance to do it right.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Stringent posted:

So my puppy is beginning to ignore her name. I've got two kids (5 and 8) who are constantly riding on it, and I'm liking my odds better with training the puppy than them. Should I just train her to a new name (e.g. "puppy" or whatever), or should I just keep working on her real name? It's gotten bad enough where she's only looking at me when I call her maybe 50% of the time, and almost never when there's stimulus around.

Work in it in sessions. Separate the kids from the puppy as best you can for 10 minutes. Get a bag of little training treats or even her kibble if she is motivated by it. Say her name. If she looks at you treat. If she doesn’t look, no treat. Keep doing this a few times a day until she look at you every single time you say her name. You may need to vary the treats between sessions to keep her interest. Once she’s back in line without distraction, add some distractions back in. Once she’s locked in again start fading the treats a little (one every three looks, etc). Do the sessions in different rooms, outside, etc. “Test” her even when not training. Going for a walk? Call her name out of the blue, quick pat and praise if she looks. If you can, have your other family members work with her too so she associates listening with everyone.

Edit: also how old is she? 6-12 month puppies are notorious for testing boundaries

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 5, 2020

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That Works posted:

Wife and I are picking up a new puppy on Saturday. He's a black lab mutt from a rescue and will be just around 12 weeks old when we get him home. He's been fostered for the last month in a home with several other dogs, cats, kids so at least has had some opportunity for socialization.

The only info we had on the dog about training was that he was "being housebroken". We've been reading up on the 2 pdf books linked in the OP as well as some of the youtube videos from that same authors training program.

Is there anything especially important for a 12 week old pup to go right into?

We will have him in a ~16 sq ft pen with their crate inside of that.
Should we try to install a doggie toilet in the pen area or just a puppy pad?

Also, for nighttime I assume we can just move the crate to our bedroom and that way am able to monitor when it needs to go out in the middle of the night? If so should we just do that once the pup is asleep or does it matter all that much? I was just concerned that crating him then moving him to a different spot might wake him up more etc and not want to get to sleep.

We are previous dog owners, although they were adults when we got them. We're both entirely 'work from home' through the rest of this year, so figured if we were ever going to get a puppy now was probably the only chance to do it right.

Encourage you not to put down a puppy pad if you can at all help it. I’ve found it really hard to break the association with ‘sometimes okay to potty in the house’ once you don’t want them to use a puppy pad anymore. They tend to believe rugs and towels and bath mats are basically the same thing!

Also moving the crate around every day is likely to confuse the puppy. Pick a place for it and leave it there imo. If you really need one in two places, get two. I think your concerns about it are spot-on.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Agreed with puppy pads, avoid if at all possible, they won't do you any favors. If anything they'll just confuse your dog.

Be stringent on taking the dog outside every 30-40 minutes while awake. Maybe every hour or two while sleeping at night. It really sucks for the first few weeks but you'll be thankful in a week or two when your dog doesn't associate going to the bathroom inside.

Bonus points, hang a little bell from the door and touch it every time you take them outside to go to the bathroom. Dangle a treat nearby the bell so the dog eventually bumps it on its own. When it hits the bell, reward, go outside, give a pee command, once they go, praise/reward and come right back inside. Pee time isn't play time. This way, your dog can associate ringing a bell to notify you that he has to go to the bathroom. We had our puppy potty trained in a week or two with only one or two small accidents total. He was ringing the bell after a month.

It really helped that I wasn't working at the time.

I'm serious about the 30-40 minutes though. That's about how small their bladders are at first. Don't give them the opportunity to go inside from the start. Eventually you can go longer as their bladders grow and you will start to notice their signs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Verman posted:

Agreed with puppy pads, avoid if at all possible, they won't do you any favors. If anything they'll just confuse your dog.

Be stringent on taking the dog outside every 30-40 minutes while awake. Maybe every hour or two while sleeping at night. It really sucks for the first few weeks but you'll be thankful in a week or two when your dog doesn't associate going to the bathroom inside.

Bonus points, hang a little bell from the door and touch it every time you take them outside to go to the bathroom. Dangle a treat nearby the bell so the dog eventually bumps it on its own. When it hits the bell, reward, go outside, give a pee command, once they go, praise/reward and come right back inside. Pee time isn't play time. This way, your dog can associate ringing a bell to notify you that he has to go to the bathroom. We had our puppy potty trained in a week or two with only one or two small accidents total. He was ringing the bell after a month.

It really helped that I wasn't working at the time.

I'm serious about the 30-40 minutes though. That's about how small their bladders are at first. Don't give them the opportunity to go inside from the start. Eventually you can go longer as their bladders grow and you will start to notice their signs.

Thanks, this mostly jives with what I had read. Will probably set up a small turf dog toilet in a litterbox just in case.

For a 12 week old pup would they still need to be going for 30-40 mins at a stretch?

Wife and I both have the upcoming week off from work and can do nothing but trade off taking care / training. Once we are back at work its still all WFH so keeping up with a busy pup schedule is as easy as we could ever get it to for now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

That Works posted:

Thanks, this mostly jives with what I had read. Will probably set up a small turf dog toilet in a litterbox just in case.

For a 12 week old pup would they still need to be going for 30-40 mins at a stretch?

Just depends on the dog. Some progress faster than others. We had success with high frequency outings for the first two weeks (10-12 weeks old) to prevent accidents in the first place. Every week you should be able to push it a little longer between outings, like an extra 15 minutes or so. Big breeds tend to be able to wait longer, smaller not so much.

We noticed that during the day, ours liked to eat/drink, play hard, crash for a little while and when he woke up he would have to go otherwise he would have to pee mid play next round. Pay attention to their routines to see if they tend to have to go after a specific activity. Take away food early in the evening so they don't have to poop through the night. They should be able to hold it for an hour or two at night.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The general rule of thumb I have heard from multiple vets is they can hold it for about an hour for every month of life, though if they aren't trained yet that will not be the case.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Work in it in sessions. Separate the kids from the puppy as best you can for 10 minutes. Get a bag of little training treats or even her kibble if she is motivated by it. Say her name. If she looks at you treat. If she doesn’t look, no treat. Keep doing this a few times a day until she look at you every single time you say her name. You may need to vary the treats between sessions to keep her interest. Once she’s back in line without distraction, add some distractions back in. Once she’s locked in again start fading the treats a little (one every three looks, etc). Do the sessions in different rooms, outside, etc. “Test” her even when not training. Going for a walk? Call her name out of the blue, quick pat and praise if she looks. If you can, have your other family members work with her too so she associates listening with everyone.

Edit: also how old is she? 6-12 month puppies are notorious for testing boundaries

She's five months next week. I've been doing what you said and she is showing quick improvements so thanks. I'll look forward to this all falling through the floor in a few more weeks.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Stringent posted:

She's five months next week. I've been doing what you said and she is showing quick improvements so thanks. I'll look forward to this all falling through the floor in a few more weeks.

I’m glad it’s working so far. The key is really the reinforcement outside of training sessions, especially if she does go through a rebellious phase. Good luck!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

My roommate just brought home a French bulldog puppy she paid I think $4,000 for, something like that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Good lord, and I had second thoughts having to fork over a few hundred to a rescue for my dog. He/she's a dang cute pup though. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Could use some advice on how to help our puppy learn not to chase and antagonize the cats.

Our sweet rescue mutt (Poppy) is about 7 months old now, and she is at times obsessed with our two cats (both ~8 years old). Poppy just wants to play with them, and interprets their reactions to her as play even though the cats are clearly not stoked. She will chase them until they chase her back, swat her, etc.

The trouble is of course sometimes they swipe at her face. She recoils from this but is never all that distressed about it (she doesn't yelp like she does when otherwise scared). I worry that one of these days a cat claw is going to get puppy's eyeball and blind her.

Here's the result of her most recent altercation the other night. Though these small scratches drew blood they are nbd, but they are so close to her eye, what if the next one hits it?

We try to keep the cat's claws trimmed to limit the damage. The puppy and cats are never left together unsupervised, and when she gets too worked up we will crate her to calm down.

Is there more we can do? Am I just being paranoid about potential eyeball damage?