Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TerminalRaptor posted:

Not just the Egyptians though, he told me he also thought aliens helped build Noah's ark. I couldn't bring myself to go anywhere near that one. :stonk:

i really thought that "god helped with noah's ark" would be the go-to argument for anything ark-related. i guess i was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

chuds only believe in forced labor and slavery when it benefits their own dumb creation myths. anything from ~others~ is aliens, but the legal kind

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

qirex posted:

the idea that they just had thousands of dudes whose whole lives were spent making perfectly square blocks of stone and they got beaten or starved if they messed up and a giant block with a missing corner got carved down probably doesn't naturally occur to modern people because it's kind of a ridiculous image

also over a period of thousands of years with nothing to do but either figure out how to make a square block or get eaten by a crocodile or shot in the rear end by a hittite or something

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

qirex posted:

the idea that they just had thousands of dudes whose whole lives were spent making perfectly square blocks of stone and they got beaten or starved if they messed up and a giant block with a missing corner got carved down probably doesn't naturally occur to modern people because it's kind of a ridiculous image

Which is funny because Daddy Musk's emerald slave mines are the same on a smaller scale.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Foo Diddley posted:

i really thought that "god helped with noah's ark" would be the go-to argument for anything ark-related. i guess i was wrong

As did i

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Foo Diddley posted:

What is God if not an alien? Checkmate, atheist or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

qirex posted:

The Egyptian government maintains that the pyramid builders were not slaves. Supposedly the labor mostly came from farmers working in the offseason and they were all paid for their work.

I don't know if this is true or not.

Roosevelt posted:

also over a period of thousands of years with nothing to do but either figure out how to make a square block or get eaten by a crocodile or shot in the rear end by a hittite or something

Yeah I think this is the bit that modern audiences don't always realize. 5000 years ago there was not a whole lot of poo poo to do once you'd built yourself a hut and gotten enough food for the day. Might as well spend the next year making some smooth rocks

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 3, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

three plates method is a really fun trick for making flat surfaces out of nothing

https://ericweinhoffer.com/blog/2017/7/30/the-whitworth-three-plates-method

neat

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

The Egyptian government maintains that the pyramid builders were not slaves. Supposedly the labor mostly came from farmers working in the offseason and they were all paid for their work.

I don't know if this is true or not.

yeah, i'm no egyptologist but this was my understanding, too

then again, who are we to argue with elon, who probably just dropped acid and powered through a couple seasons of stargate sg-1?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

"But you don't understand, those granite slabs are perfectly smooth. They simply didn't have the tools to do that. It's impossible given their technology" from an actual argument with my father.

see, this is impressively baffling because my first though was 'what, like sand paper? egypt is full of sand and papyrus' and then I realized how even more absurd that claim is

Jonny 290 posted:

three plates method is a really fun trick for making flat surfaces out of nothing

whoa this is new to me, awesome share

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

please explain why i cant seem to sharpen a chisel to save my life?

(very cool little explanation)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

weren’t most pyramids built by farmers in a federal jobs program who couldn’t work during the rainy season?

yeah beaten, unlike said farmers

plus they had sweet hydraulic setups too, it wasn’t a hundred dudes pushing blocks up dirt ramps, it was closer to dock workers or sailors managing pulley systems

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FrozenVent posted:

this is the source of 99% of the ancient alien bullshit

“how could brown people have done this? must be A Superior Race”

lol

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1290035575756480512

I can't argue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
and where are they now, the little people of stonehenge?
and what would they say to us if we were here tonight?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Agile Vector posted:

whoa this is new to me, awesome share

if you enjoy this stuff there are a shitload of vids about mechanical precision on youtube

the article jony shared links to tom lipton / oxtoolco vids about 3 plate lapping. i'd also recommend stefan gotteswinter, robin renzetti, and this old tony

fall down the machinist youtube rabbit hole, it's a lot of fun

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone left a tesla with giant gull wing doors open unattended with no visible owner in sight on a parking lot near my hotel for hours now and I wonder if it's a hilarious software thing or user error

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

unpacked robinhood posted:

Someone left a tesla with giant gull wing doors open unattended with no visible owner in sight on a parking lot near my hotel for hours now and I wonder if it's a hilarious software thing or user error

I always wondered why someone would even steal a Tesla? Who would buy it on the black market?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

going to guess that tesla themselves either refuse to track stolen cars or change a 5 grand lojack dlc unlock

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus Christ if Tesla doesn’t track the most gullible consumers known to the history of mankind and sell those data to marketers, then I have a great idea on how Elon can make that third tranche

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Agile Vector posted:

see, this is impressively baffling because my first though was 'what, like sand paper? egypt is full of sand and papyrus' and then I realized how even more absurd that claim is

the inca civilization didn't have metal tools (that is, they only knew how to work pure copper, silver and gold) so all of their stonework was done by controlled fracturing along natural seams, which is why their buildings have irregular blocks. the super close-fitting smooth stones on the most important structures -- temples and palaces -- were ground to a perfect fit literally by grabbing handfuls of sand and rubbing it on the blocks for years.

for more humble structures they didn't take the time to do the really nice work, so those ones look more like cobblestone.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I always wondered why someone would even steal a Tesla? Who would buy it on the black market?

no one would steal a tesla because it's common knowledge that stolen teslas have anti-piracy measures that direct the autopilot to steer into the back of a fire truck. also non-stolen teslas

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

user error for sure, user bought a tesla.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sagebrush posted:

the inca civilization didn't have metal tools (that is, they only knew how to work pure copper, silver and gold) so all of their stonework was done by controlled fracturing along natural seams, which is why their buildings have irregular blocks. the super close-fitting smooth stones on the most important structures -- temples and palaces -- were ground to a perfect fit literally by grabbing handfuls of sand and rubbing it on the blocks for years.

for more humble structures they didn't take the time to do the really nice work, so those ones look more like cobblestone.

this poo poo right here, this is cyclopean stonework. it doesn't mean "built by cthulhu"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINTER. THEN I LIFT

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINTER. THEN I LIFT

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Stonehenge is definitely the most underwhelming "famous attraction" I've seen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINTER. THEN I LIft

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:hai:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINter. THEN I LIFT

sagebrush you’re wrong, it’s this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

sagebrush you’re wrong, it’s this

why do people strip out THEN I LIFT from it so much

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it usually gets passed around without that part

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

why do people strip out THEN I LIFT from it so much

cowards and charlatans the lot

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POST INTO THE FORUM. ITS THE RIDDICK POST AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TYPING THE WORDS ALONGSIDE MY MAIN MAN JEFFREY. I DO EVERY LINE AND I DO EVERY LINE HARD. HOLDING DOWN SHIFT WHEN I TYPE IT FROM MEMORY OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY JOKES. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY POST THE WORLD’S MOST OBSCURE MEME. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MISSPELLINGS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CATS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 3 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing. THEN I LIFT

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

like most things like this the egyptians had One Weird Trick and that trick was water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1y8N0ePuF8

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PIZZA.BAT posted:

like most things like this the egyptians had One Weird Trick and that trick was water

whip salesmen HATE this

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

this is powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POST INTO THE FORUM. ITS THE RIDDICK POST AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TYPING THE WORDS ALONGSIDE MY MAIN MAN JEFFREY. I DO EVERY LINE AND I DO EVERY LINE HARD. HOLDING DOWN SHIFT WHEN I TYPE IT FROM MEMORY OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY JOKES. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY POST THE WORLD’S MOST OBSCURE MEME. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MISSPELLINGS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CATS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 3 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing. THEN I LIFT