Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TCD posted:

10 bucks that car is repo'd or totaled in under a year.

No bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

TCD posted:

10 bucks that car is repo'd or totaled in under a year.

would you prefer i just hand you :10bux: now, or what?

e;fb

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

poo poo, I'd be willing to bet it's either totaled or repo'd within 90 days - almost certainly totaled.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of my coworkers just bought a lime green Hellcat. We've been working from home for the last 5 months and will be working remotely for the next year or so, at least. I'm driving 20 miles a week these days.
Feels weird on timing, like buying a pair of new jet skis in October

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think it was the very first hellcat sold got totalled in Colorado first day.

Said slippery conditions but there was 400 feet of skid marks, so....

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine paying that much money for A) A vehicle and B) A dodge

brains
May 12, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Not explicitly military, but I saw this and immediately thought of this thread because this is an extremely enlistment bonus move.

https://twitter.com/AltersReality88/status/1290337003100344320

28% APR, more or less 1.2k every month until 2028 :allears:

:lmao: at the idea of an almost assuredly under-25-year-old affording insurance payments on a 700 hp car on top of his 1200 dollar mortgage rent car payments.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

There was an article in a semi-recent Car & Driver talking about even though the last production year of the Dodge Viper was 2010 (and 2017), they're still selling maybe 5-10 per year, and the only thing I thought after reading that was..."those poor boots."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 4, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That financing gets my heart racing

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

canyoneer posted:

One of my coworkers just bought a lime green Hellcat. We've been working from home for the last 5 months and will be working remotely for the next year or so, at least. I'm driving 20 miles a week these days.

Car dealers are desperate to get cars off the lot right now. You can get a brand new car for like $8k off with 0%APR for 60 months right now.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I've been getting offers for 0% for 72 months popping up all the time lately.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1289961836264095744

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah Navy already released a statement saying they are less than pleased by this, but its some weird SEAL museum so it might not have any connection to the actual Navy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shooting Blanks posted:

poo poo, I'd be willing to bet it's either totaled or repo'd within 90 days - almost certainly totaled.

Totaled and a bankruptcy within 2 years to try and get out from under the loan, because said idiot absolutely can't afford gap coverage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

canyoneer posted:

Off-season is actually the best time to get a deal, everyone is desperate to get their old stock out.

“Buy lawnmowers in December and snowblowers in July” was my dads advice and it’s always worked out well

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vengarr posted:

Off-season is actually the best time to get a deal, everyone is desperate to get their old stock out.

“Buy lawnmowers in December and snowblowers in July” was my dads advice and it’s always worked out well

But do you really want to be stuck with last year's model of lawnmower, like a total dork?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Only if it was an M18 Hellcat. But those were built by Buick anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah Navy already released a statement saying they are less than pleased by this, but its some weird SEAL museum so it might not have any connection to the actual Navy
So the Navy is going to cut ties with that place then?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

evil_bunnY posted:

So the Navy is going to cut ties with that place then?

That was my first thought.

So I did some light digging. And by "light" I mean googled "Navy SEAL Museum" and looked at their website.

So the website makes it very clear that they're a 501(c)(3) organization, so they're registered as a charitable non-profit. It looks like the museum supports some SEAL vet charity. That's at least a nod towards it not being a roadside attraction type "museum."

Now that said, all their partnerships are private organizations. https://www.navysealmuseum.org/partners

The WW2 Museum stands out in that, both because it's another private museum that does some partnership with the government on some military poo poo, but also because it's the highest profile thing. I'd suspect that if they were a bigger fish that they would have some actual partnerships with public entities.

Clicking around though their poo poo on the exhibits they have the standard mix of medals and poo poo that could have just been donated by vets, but also a few vehicles. Now, I dunno if the Navy surpluses out some of that stuff, so they could have just bought it. THey also have the lifeboat from that Maersk ship that got taken by pirates and they made a Tom Hanks movie about. I dunno where they got that or who owned it. They've also got what they claim is a very large collection of "unique SEAL weapons." That's what kinda makes me think they at least have a loaning arrangement with the Naval History and Heritage Command, although that's pure supposition on my part. Maybe they're getting serious, unique door kicker poo poo loaned to them or maybe they're just tarting up AR-15s as clones.

The really interesting bit, however, comes when you check out their board of directors.

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/about-the-navy-seal-museum/board-of-directors

Top of the list is CDR (SEAL) Kag Cagnoni, who doesn't have the (ret) besides his name that most of the other people with ranks do. More light googling shows some stuff online indicating that he's the current NRU SEAL Team 18 commander. Which kind of confused me because I thought these guys were supposed to be coy about what they do? Maybe once you hit command ranks that changes? I dunno I'm an extremely high drag, low speed internet rear end in a top hat with zero knowledge of how these guys work beyond poo poo I've read online. And I don't even make a point of trying to do too much of that.

So . . . looks to me like it's more than a casual relationship where they have a bunch of retirees setting up displays of pictures and medals. If they've got active duty SEAL officers on their board there's sure as poo poo a strong relationship, even if it isn't an official one.

Now the real question is if there's any consequences for this dumbshittery at the museum.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I could have spared you the Googling. If the question is "are the SEALs going to do something unethical and/or illegal" the answer is always yes.

Edit:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now the real question is if there's any consequences for this dumbshittery at the museum.

The answer to this is always :lol:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Of course there will be.

Promoted ahead of his peers.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/08/04/navy-seals-cut-ties-with-museum-over-colin-kaepernick-video/

So the SEAL museum no longer has the official support of the SEALs themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You might say it no longer carries the Approval of Seal. :razz:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You could easily drive onto JBLM here in WA and find out the names of the command teams of each SOF unit on post, they're literally posted on signs people drive by every day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone have the story about the dude that set up an IED and then tested the pressure plate by jumping on it handy?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This sounds like the same deal one-percenters have where any crimes were committed by individual members but the motorcycle club totally wasn't involved. :angel::devil:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thewtfnation/status/1291066551228076033?s=21

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what is that supposed to be? Because I can’t figure out anything but the obvious :dong:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Battle axe I guess?

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Cavitation of a round as the premise?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vengarr posted:

You can make decent money doing this with motorcycles honestly. Buy in the fall when garage queens sell because they don't have room or never rode it. Then sell in the spring with some cleanup and maybe a tune-up for 15 to 20 percent of what you bought it for.

I got a 1300 vstar in great shape for 3500 a few years back, the going rate in the spring would have been 6k. I've thought about doing flipping once or twice because you can easily get decent money if you don't overextend yourself and the weather's been nice.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There are surprisingly few uses of dicks in heraldry but I did find this:

e: let's add a :nws: just to be on the safe side

quote:

Looks like the CoA of Bangkok.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heraldry/comments/bbr0ox/this_hungarian_family_has_a_penis_on_their_shield/

e: gotta admit that the first thing I looked for in that battleaxe pic was a Q

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 5, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what is that supposed to be? Because I can’t figure out anything but the obvious :dong:

it's a hawk, the axe-blades are wings, and you can see the thin line implying a beak and eyes

no feet though, maybe it's a fired round with hawk and axe features? too busy, 7/10.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Someone really eager to show off their sounding fetish.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

I see a falcon wearing a Spaceballs helmet wrapped in a sweater with a numeral one on it.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Leave it up to 3ID to do some really dumb poo poo (again).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought this was the Idiots thread and not the cool stuff thread :colbert:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it looks like a dick, but then it also reminds me of those giant dick-shaped artillery suppressors too

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Saw it on myphone and saw a black guy with an afro and really goofy legs...i thought this was being shared cuz rascist when i first saw it. It's me I'm the monster apparently :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which kind of confused me because I thought these guys were supposed to be coy about what they do? Maybe once you hit command ranks that changes? I dunno I'm an extremely high drag, low speed internet rear end in a top hat with zero knowledge of how these guys work beyond poo poo I've read online. And I don't even make a point of trying to do too much of that.

So I actually just learned that this was a thing, in the course of learning about selection board results and slating: for the ranks of O-4 and below there's a "reasonable expectation of privacy" in federal law which restricts how much the military can publish about you. However, from O-5 on up, that changes, which is why you can see the biographies of unit commanders on the unit web page and whatnot. They're considered "public figures" to some extent. You shouldn't ever see an O-4 or below bio like that. I assume there's a similar thing for E-9's because you usually see the CMC bio or equivalent posted as well.