Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The entire series is full of promising ideas GRRM got tired of and abandoned before they came to fruition.

Magic returning to the world - abandoned theme, completely irrelevant until the end. Red (?) magic especially never goes anywhere.

Fates of Stark children linked to the direwolves - abandoned around one and a half books in.

The Maester’s conspiracy: whatever was supposed to happen in that city where their HQ is - nothing came of that.

The role of Varys - completely wasted. Actually, that stands for any character.

Dorne - instead of engaging in a bit of light Orientalism, it becomes the dullest and least relevant sideshow.

That rock leprosy or whatever - pretty much forgotten.

That Stannis’ fool with the weird undersea song - irrelevant.

The pirate dude with the Armageddon trumpet - whatever became of him?

None of these ideas were abandoned by GRRM as far as we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Based on the show which theoretically pared down the plot to only the most relevant elements-- yes, we do.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Those plot points might still play a significant role in those elements though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mind the walrus posted:

Based on the show which theoretically pared down the plot to only the most relevant elements-- yes, we do.

Well, the show knew the end points but clearly never figured out a good way to get there, so I wouldn't say it successfully pared down the plot to the most relevant elements. On the other hand, George doesn't know how to get there either.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

UltraRed posted:

The red star falling signaled magic returning to the world.

Arguably it signaled dragons returning to the world. Magic never went away. It just got a little buff when the dragons came back.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
+3 to crafting rolls for Wildfire. You can now commune with the Ghost of High Heart once per gaming session. Weirwood scrying now has a +100 year range.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

Hence “in some fashion” :v:

Ah, okay. You got my hopes up that in the intervening years some madlad went ahead and did something more with it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shageletic posted:

hating on GRRM is the reason this thread exists. The fact that ppl arent as hard on him anymore is because it isnt that essential anymore and everything thing outside of this thread is so much worse now

I know, I couldn't care less if it comes out anymore either, but that's still no reason to be optimistic and believe his lies all of a sudden.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Vichan posted:

None of these ideas were abandoned by GRRM as far as we know.

He’s not finishing the book, so technically he did.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ague Proof posted:

I watched a little of the Hugo awards. GRRM is just rambling with boring stories about the good old days no one cares about.

It's no wonder he can no longer write.

I watched the cut of the show without him.

It was 2 hours shorter.

The whole show was 3.5 hours total.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I had a dream last night that WoW was released. At least the first part was. The fat man decided to split the book in two parts and the second part was scheduled for 2030.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

UltraRed posted:

The red star falling signaled magic returning to the world.

Did they talk about the red star going away? I thought it was like there the whole time. Was it just up for a week, or a night or something?

Dorne - instead of engaging in a bit of light Orientalism, it becomes the dullest and least relevant sideshow.

I thought Dorne was Spain/New Mexico Green Hatch Chilis?

If I was his publisher, I'd team him up with the best RPG team in existence - build a long standing game that could become the new focus for the IP. He could keep writing little character descriptions and novellas, like an endless D&D Monster Manual. That would allow his fan base to start filling in cracks if they wanted to, not have a too set in stone history, and he could write the fun parts. little modules / character studies / whatever. A game doesn't need an ending it just needs conflict - which he has done an amazing job setting up. Endless War has always been the underlying theme for these books, a game would be a perfect medium for that.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TERFherder posted:

I thought Dorne was Spain/New Mexico Green Hatch Chilis?

It’s probably closest to Islamic Iberia IMO

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Martin hosed up the Hugos so badly the con tweeted out two apologies.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

It’s probably closest to Islamic Iberia IMO

That's seems like what he was going for. Dorne sort of resembles al-Andalus if you squint at it while drunk. Especially the rose-tinted views of the peaceful periods in Cordoban history that are very popular.

The main ASOIAF plot kind of resembles big chunks of al-Andalus history though, what with the petty kings gleefully fighting each other for dominion while a force in the north, bent on their destruction, builds up over centuries to drive them out. At least the Westerosi lords didn't pay the Others to fight their rivals.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
George R R Martin’s A Waste of Time and Money

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Woodpile posted:

Oooooo, what did he do?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Woodpile posted:

lmao why am i not surprised

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oooooo, what did he do?

Mispronounced a bunch of the names of women authors (misogyny!). Made a eunuch joke (transphobia!). Talked about the renaming of the Campbell Award (more misogyny! or something, I'm not sure). And went waaaay long, probably going on about the virtues of being a Trufen implying newer sff fans are poseurs. There's an article on Cracked and I followed the links. Looks like it's blown out of proportion but I don't care.

Because gently caress that guy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oooooo, what did he do?

Rambled for two hours about his nostalgia for the 'good old days' when SF awards were mostly old white dudes, and completely mispronounced pretty much every nominee's name that was remotely 'ethnic'.

Made worse when Jeannette Ng's acceptance speech about John Campbell last year won a Hugo this year for "Best Related Work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ58zf0vzB0

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Woodpile posted:

Looks like it's blown out of proportion but I don't care.

Because gently caress that guy.

Even if it wasn't being blown of proportion, and it kind-of is, the truth is this is also part of being "The American Tolkien " and having a giant smash hit HBO show. Like ok so you don't write and everyone still sucks your dick, but you still have to at least pretend to be a good figurehead. Fat man can't even be bothered to do that.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 5, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

yet he is absolutely the kind of person who would just revel in his spoils until death. i hate to admit it but gaiman had it right.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What did Gaiman say about him?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

What did Gaiman say about him?

He penned an article in 2009 with the now-infamous thesis statement of "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch" in regard to people becoming mad at A Dance With Dragon's then-record setting publication delay. The piece was lauded and mocked in equal measure for how hard Gaiman went to the mat for his buddy Jorge, and the intervening 11 years since it was published have not been flattering to either Gaiman, GRRM, or the roving band of lunatics that still rabidly demand GRRM finish the loving book in that regard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gaiman was right. GRRM is not our bitch.

He is, however, a bitch.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Beside the "offensive" aspects there were also a lot of weird, awkward moments, from him starting by listing mostly-random countries, to the multiple goony hats, to the Hugo-trophy-as-juicer skit. And not all of it was live, so he's either surrounded (himself) with people who won't point out how bad some things obviously look, or won't listen to advice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arts and Entertainment are especially weird/bad for groupies and enablers.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

esperterra posted:

Gaiman was right. GRRM is not our bitch.

He is, however, a bitch.

:hmmyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A bitch and an absolute fucker.

But is he more bitch or absolute fucker?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's a bitch of an absolute fucker

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Beside the "offensive" aspects there were also a lot of weird, awkward moments, from him starting by listing mostly-random countries, to the multiple goony hats, to the Hugo-trophy-as-juicer skit. And not all of it was live, so he's either surrounded (himself) with people who won't point out how bad some things obviously look, or won't listen to advice.

I don't think any of it was live, and I think that's part of why people are so infuriated. It was pre-recorded. They knew he got the names wrong. He refused to fix it. The Con refused to fix it or do anything about it.

There's a history of certain peoples having their identity erased in part by changing their names. If I say to you "my name is Kunta Kinte" you know exactly what the gently caress I'm talking about.

So it's a pretty bad look when an old entitled white man spends a ridiculous amount of time rhapsodizing about how great an old avowed fascist white man was and how SFF used to be better when it was full of sex predators who were old white men, and fucks up the names of people being honored who are neither white nor men.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

pseudanonymous posted:

how SFF used to be better when it was full of sex predators who were old white men

It's still got GRRM in it, and given his size, I think that qualifies as full :thunk:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

A bitch and an absolute fucker.

But is he more bitch or absolute fucker?

Obviously he's more of a fucker. Because he's the "absolute" example of one.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think any of it was live,

The parts in the theater were live. The ones where he's in some sort of office weren't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think any of it was live, and I think that's part of why people are so infuriated. It was pre-recorded. They knew he got the names wrong. He refused to fix it. The Con refused to fix it or do anything about it.

There's a history of certain peoples having their identity erased in part by changing their names. If I say to you "my name is Kunta Kinte" you know exactly what the gently caress I'm talking about.

So it's a pretty bad look when an old entitled white man spends a ridiculous amount of time rhapsodizing about how great an old avowed fascist white man was and how SFF used to be better when it was full of sex predators who were old white men, and fucks up the names of people being honored who are neither white nor men.

:discourse:

It's true too. GRRM is a shockingly bad leader of culture. The fact that he refuses to do anything other than continue to cash out and string along naive hopefuls is shameful, and it really sucks no one called him out for being so lovely.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
he pulled some bullshit at the Hugo Loser's party also (i.e. the party for people who got nommed but didn't win) where most of the actual nominees couldn't get in because he did a lovely job of planning and it got full or something and he was like "welp too bad".

Like for example, he could've left, and once his fat rear end did, 2-3 actual working writers could've gone in. But the party was clearly really about him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm not sure who I'd be less surprised to see confirmed as a huge sexpest: GRRM or Rothfuss.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what GRRM, gently caress you, I'm just gonna write my fanfic ending with Victarion and Young Griff

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Dude is a 70+ year old white male boomer from New-loving-Jersey. He was born in the 1940s, and his world view was probably cemented by 1975. His major opus involves multiple scenes of child rape, sexual violence and incest. So yeah, I can see why that might have gone sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've never watched the Hugo Awards, but giving someone an award for an acceptance speech is some next level of huffing your own farts.