Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The coolest thing - I believe it's colored pencil. The artist is crazy gifted. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can confirm, looking out the window is good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gulls in city of Aarhus crack "bird-proof" trash cans (article in Danish)

quote:

Tricking gulls turns out to be harder than one might think, is the conclusion forced on the employees of Aarhus municipality.

Ten years ago the municipality installed trash cans designed to prevent the birds from landing on them, but well, the gulls have figured it out.
They also quickly learned to recognize hunters as wearing orange vests and carrying a rifle, so throughout all of 2016 they managed to shoot just 14 gulls total.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

nielsm posted:

Gulls in city of Aarhus crack "bird-proof" trash cans (article in Danish)

They also quickly learned to recognize hunters as wearing orange vests and carrying a rifle, so throughout all of 2016 they managed to shoot just 14 gulls total.

That's pretty common in migrating waterfowl as well. They know people in camo= flee and people not in camo = everything is fine.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

That's pretty common in migrating waterfowl as well. They know people in camo= flee and people not in camo = everything is fine.

What we can conclude here is that birds are not remotely fooled by camo.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think Pesto might have a bit of English Budgie blood in him. He's larger than Mayo and puffy af.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This photo is great, but it makes me miss Scout. She would do this for as long as we'd let her.

Unrelated Scout photo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mikerock posted:

This photo is great, but it makes me miss Scout. She would do this for as long as we'd let her.

Unrelated Scout photo

ah!!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi bird people, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have two budgies. Originally we thought they were both boys but one is definitely a girl. 95% of the time they are preening and singing to each other, or the boy is regurgitating food to the girl, and they seem to enjoy each other's company.

The other 5% of the time, the boy is chasing the girl around the cage, and since he's bigger than her he'll catch her and pin her down on the floor of the cage and not let her up. There's a lot of flapping and screeching while this happens. Sometimes the girl will get away from the boy, but then she'll go back down to him and start pecking at him and they'll start rolling around flapping and screeching at each other again.

A few weeks ago, the boy pecked the girl on the cere and drew blood during one of these scuffles. So I put the boy in time out alone for a week in another cage placed next to the main cage. While the birds were separated, they would try to sit as close as possible to each other in their separate cages and seemed to miss each other. Once the boy was put back in the main cage, he seemed more chill for a few days then he started chasing the girl around again with increasing frequency.

Should the boy be separated from the girl permanently? I have no idea whether this is normal budgie behaviour or not. I'd appreciate any advice!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mikerock posted:

Unrelated Scout photo

Aww, Scout was a darling.

bee posted:

Hi bird people, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have two budgies. Originally we thought they were both boys but one is definitely a girl. 95% of the time they are preening and singing to each other, or the boy is regurgitating food to the girl, and they seem to enjoy each other's company.

The other 5% of the time, the boy is chasing the girl around the cage, and since he's bigger than her he'll catch her and pin her down on the floor of the cage and not let her up. There's a lot of flapping and screeching while this happens. Sometimes the girl will get away from the boy, but then she'll go back down to him and start pecking at him and they'll start rolling around flapping and screeching at each other again.

A few weeks ago, the boy pecked the girl on the cere and drew blood during one of these scuffles. So I put the boy in time out alone for a week in another cage placed next to the main cage. While the birds were separated, they would try to sit as close as possible to each other in their separate cages and seemed to miss each other. Once the boy was put back in the main cage, he seemed more chill for a few days then he started chasing the girl around again with increasing frequency.

Should the boy be separated from the girl permanently? I have no idea whether this is normal budgie behaviour or not. I'd appreciate any advice!

Blood and broken feathers is where I'd draw the line, but if it's only happened once I'm not sure if it warrants permanent separation.

As violent as it might look, they could just be...you know...doing it.

Is there anything in the cage they are claiming as a nest? I've never let me parakeets (always a male and female through chance) nothing even approaching a nest. It keeps this ruckus to a minimum, in my experience.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I've never let me parakeets

reading this in the same voice as William Dafoe from The Lighthouse voice

bee
Dec 17, 2008

There's nothing nest-like in there. I don't think they're mating because, well, I've seen them mate while perched and it looks like everyone is having a good time... maybe my birds are just into rough sex :shrug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

reading this in the same voice as William Dafoe from The Lighthouse voice

I always make the most serendipitous typos.

bee posted:

There's nothing nest-like in there. I don't think they're mating because, well, I've seen them mate while perched and it looks like everyone is having a good time... maybe my birds are just into rough sex :shrug:

If you have the ability to separate them, maybe just do it when they get bad? Or for a couple hours a day?

It's one of those things I'd have to see to know exactly what is going on. But like I said, blood and broken feathers is where I'd start being real concerned.

I wish I could go to the Birb Store down the street and ask around for you. loving covid.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hello, everyone, I have made you an ASMR video for these trying times.

The only type of ASMR I was ever interested in, honestly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

perfection

i've often mentioned to my spouse that we should start alex a parrot asmr channel

the crunches when he eats apples

ah

my heart

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of heart disease, i need to cut back on the seeds.

alex weighs a bippity boppity bouncing 57 grams! that's an all-time high!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I was expecting ear-shattering screaming really.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Aww, Scout was a darling.

She was a real sweetheart and I miss her a lot.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Gaj posted:

I was expecting ear-shattering screaming really.

I wasn't feeling quite that mean today.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I am sad to update that Tinky (boy budgie) pecked the gently caress out of Rainbow (girl budgie) this afternoon before I had a chance to break them up. Tinky is now permanently in another cage and Rainbow is awaiting veterinary treatment for a couple of gashes on her nose :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:smith: aww man

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

bee posted:

I am sad to update that Tinky (boy budgie) pecked the gently caress out of Rainbow (girl budgie) this afternoon before I had a chance to break them up. Tinky is now permanently in another cage and Rainbow is awaiting veterinary treatment for a couple of gashes on her nose :(

While unfortunate I hope she makes it out okay and now you have a definite answer: They can't be housed together. How is Rainbow doing right now? Maybe make sure she's in a separate area/can't see Tinky if she's acting traumatized.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Rainbow looks like she's shaken up :( she has been moving about her cage a little to eat and drink, she has hopped on and off her swing a few times. We've left her cage where it usually lives in a quiet corner of the house near the back window so she can chill out somewhere familiar.

Tinky is in a different cage in another part of the house and he is not happy about that but he can :dealwithit:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh no, sounds like there are some crazy hormones at play there. :(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, yikes. I hope that gets figured out. Poor Rainbow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So you know how birds see colors differently than humans?

This morning I walked by my birds with a Dunkin Donuts bag to throw it away. I didn't even get close to them but my conure freaked the gently caress out. Squawked and ran to the furthest corner of the cage. Very unusual.

A couple hours later, without thinking I walked by them again with one of their clear plastic cold drink cups to toss it and he did the same thing. So it's either the pink or orange they use in their logo that he hates.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

So you know how birds see colors differently than humans?

This morning I walked by my birds with a Dunkin Donuts bag to throw it away. I didn't even get close to them but my conure freaked the gently caress out. Squawked and ran to the furthest corner of the cage. Very unusual.

A couple hours later, without thinking I walked by them again with one of their clear plastic cold drink cups to toss it and he did the same thing. So it's either the pink or orange they use in their logo that he hates.

In my experience, parakeets and cockatiels loathe red.

Serra love bright green, though. She has destroyed three of my green Velcro Apple Watch bands.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie hates anything orange, to the extent that she used to try to bite my red-haired cousin any time she visited. It was definitely the hair, because we experimented with putting a black wig on her ( my cousin, not Pookie) and the biting completely stopped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pookah posted:

Pookie hates anything orange, to the extent that she used to try to bite my red-haired cousin any time she visited. It was definitely the hair, because we experimented with putting a black wig on her ( my cousin, not Pookie) and the biting completely stopped.

To complete the experiment, you gotta put the wig on Pookie. That’s science.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Sleepy Serra wants Scritches.

https://youtu.be/4nfIUjyF8y4

bee
Dec 17, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

Oh, yikes. I hope that gets figured out. Poor Rainbow.

Thanks. The vet said it looks worse than it is and she should be ok with some medicine and a close eye on her.

bee fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 8, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

bee posted:

Thanks. The vet said it looks worse than it is and she should be ok with some medicine and a close eye on her.

Aww, poor thing. Get better soon, Birb!

Did the vet have anything to say about the behavior?

I've not seen that behavior in my whopping grand total of four parakeets. So I'm clearly no expert, but still curious.

Parrotlets, on the other hand, seem to be locked in a perpetual blood feud with anything else that chirps.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

To complete the experiment, you gotta put the wig on Pookie. That’s science.
So if I put an orange wig on Pookie, she will be compelled to bite herself? Interesting...

Also poor Rainbow :( hope her little nose heals up really soon. As an aside, Tinky is an excellent name for a budgie :3:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Actually, the vet did say that given Tinky's age (he's roughly 2) his hormones are probably to blame.

My five year old daughter named both budgies :3 Tinky was originally Tinkerbell, until it became apparent that he wasn't a she and Tinky became a better fit, according to my kid.

Here they are in happier times:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

Actually, the vet did say that given Tinky's age (he's roughly 2) his hormones are probably to blame.

My five year old daughter named both budgies :3 Tinky was originally Tinkerbell, until it became apparent that he wasn't a she and Tinky became a better fit, according to my kid.

Here they are in happier times:

Well hopefully that's very good news since surely there's a decent chance he'll grow out of it? I've had a few budgies over the years and ongoing fighting has only been a problem between two hens, the other combos have always been pretty chilled. Even the two hens ended up settling down, when they got very old they tried being a mated pair :3:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This reminds me of a movie poster.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm sure they will chill out and be able to live together again. Two years is prime INSANITY HORMONE time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My grey got me good today. He was sitting with me getting some lovin. He likes the feathers by his beak scratched. He was into it but for reasons unknown he changed his mind and showed it by getting my pinky finger. It was a real gusher :(