Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Consuming Fire (Interdependency #2) by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X255Y1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Not that special but still neat.

Goes for like a hundred bucks on Ebay, so its better than most trade hardcovers.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

David Zindell's Neverness currently free on kindle : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HGSFFZ

Haven't read it for 25 years but I remember it as having some neat parts.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Ornamented Death posted:

Goes for like a hundred bucks on Ebay, so its better than most trade hardcovers.

Well considering I bought it for 26 bucks when it came out, I'd say that's some good appreciation. Not ever getting rid of it, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Well considering I bought it for 26 bucks when it came out, I'd say that's some good appreciation. Not ever getting rid of it, though.

I feel a lot less bad about what I paid for the Illumicrate edition after seeing what it's currently going for.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

I feel a lot less bad about what I paid for the Illumicrate edition after seeing what it's currently going for.

Yeah if I had known about that I would have bought a copy of that on release, too. Is there something similar for Harrow?

Edit: poo poo there was and I missed it again

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 6, 2020

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

professor metis posted:

First of all: massive congratulations.

Second of all: god what a disaster!! Huge sympathies to you for having such an important moment seemingly covered up for no good reason..

Thank you so much.

The world is truly absurd right now. I am not sure I can exist in a dimension where half the Hugo winners and their agents are tweeting about my extremely self-indulgent web serial. Oh well, 2020 is up for literally anything it looks like.

We are trying to build good from the bad. The international SFF community has been so supportive of us.

And also, my Best Short Story win came from a goon-edited magazine, too!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Much this. Such a good book and I really want to see where the story goes!
I'm workin' on it. I'm currently applying for arts funding that would set an August 2021 final deadline on handing in the manuscript, and "finish it or you owe us back $100,000" feels like something that is gonna concentrate the mind wonderfully.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah if I had known about that I would have bought a copy of that on release, too. Is there something similar for Harrow?

Edit: poo poo there was and I missed it again

All these different subscription boxes have made collecting a lot more complicated, that's for sure.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I'm 30% into Dawnhounds and I have Harrow and Baru coming up next. That's a pretty solid month of reading!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I am confused by the end of Harrow the Ninth

Gideon (in Harrow's body) died in the River, and Harrow went somewhere? To the Locked Tomb? To wherever Gideon's soul had been hanging out? And who's the amnesiac with Camilla at the end?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

I am confused by the end of Harrow the Ninth

Gideon (in Harrow's body) died in the River, and Harrow went somewhere? To the Locked Tomb? To wherever Gideon's soul had been hanging out? And who's the amnesiac with Camilla at the end?

The way I read it, as much as Gideon "Idiot with a Sword" Nav thought she was dying, she got pulled out and was being revived. As well, I got the feeling that Harrow ended up in Gideon's hole that she occupied in Harrow's subconscious (which would of course be the Locked Tomb because Harrow). No clue who the kid with Camilla is, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anomalous Blowout posted:

And also, my Best Short Story win came from a goon-edited magazine, too!

That was creepy as gently caress. Congrats on the well-deserved win.

Click through the links about to the winners and nominees page, it's worth it.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Harrow the Ninth, binary review: 1

Different than Gideon the Ninth, but still full of things I enjoyed from Gideon. A middle book that answers some questions from the first and asks a whole bunch more that I expect to learn some answers to in the third book. A roller coaster ride where-in the first 50-60% is much consumed by ominous ratcheting noises as the car is being pulled up very, very high before it tips into an insane descent into the back end of the book. I am definitely going to need to read this one again, because it is complicated.

The hinted at (by the editor, on twitter) "Harrow makes soup" and "Ianthe helps Harrow dress for a fancy dinner" scenes absolutely did not disappoint.

Folks who found the cast list of the original daunting may feel comfort in the fact that there are relatively few new characters introduced here.

Be warned that the bulk of the book is from the view inside Harrow's head, which is a fascinating and highly messed up place to observe the world from. But that's part of the fun!

I massively enjoyed that. Now I must wait for Alecto the Ninth.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i haven't finished but 'harrow makes soup' was an absolute delight

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you're playin with fire here Tamsyn.

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1291374752070881281?s=20

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

There were a couple but that was the one joke in the entire book that fell completely flat for me and I just didn't like. However the rest of the book is so good I don't care.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Early reviews of Tyrant Baru Cormorant are starting up, it's out next week. Get those preorders in! I'm coming to be pushing it pretty hard here, sorry in advance.

My hardback preorder was cancelled in the UK, but I have the kindle preordered.

In other news, i've just finished the third Empire of Silence book, Demon in White, and I think it's my new favorite space opera series. The books are just getting stronger and stronger as they go own. Absolutely devourerd the 800 pages in a couple of days. If the first didn't completely fulfil you, i'd recommend going back for the second as Hadrian really comes into his own.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Can someone explain this to me?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

a foolish pianist posted:

Can someone explain this to me?

https://gizmodo.com/reflections-on-the-10th-anniversary-of-none-pizza-with-1819692097

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

There were a couple but that was the one joke in the entire book that fell completely flat for me and I just didn't like. However the rest of the book is so good I don't care.
Well, Gideon had the died on the way to the home planet thing so I guess she's allowed one (1) cringy joke per book.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to assume that in-universe these things are erudite classical allusions that any educated and cultured necromancer would know

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I'm still trying to get over gideon referring to someone as a pizza face

minema
May 31, 2011
I missed a lot of the meme jokes I think, but the dad joke at a highly climatic moment made me laugh out loud even as I tried to work out if it was too dumb.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, I was usually on board with the bad puns or necromancers being weird catty dipshits, but the actual nerd references just left me cold.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno, as far as bad puns go I kind of enjoy it.

I don't want to read a book FULL of them, but one or two sprinkled in can be fun.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I looked at the planet through my view screen. Much like the Xbox it was huge

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

graventy posted:

I dunno, as far as bad puns go I kind of enjoy it.

I don't want to read a book FULL of them, but one or two sprinkled in can be fun.

As far as I could tell there were significantly fewer in this book than in the first. But that one as noted is particularly bad.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did grow up on Xanth novels though, so I'm probably coming at the pun from a traumatized place.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I tended to give the memes a pass when they were coming specifically from the Emperor AKA Necrolord Prime AKA John, because I feel like the implication is he's a millennial shithead who's been alive for 10,000 years but in a state where he hasn't really been able to develop any further from the point where he came back to life.

Edit: Spoilers for Harrow

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the fifth season, real easy read.

I was disappointed by the twist as it makes the world feel small and I wanted these "different characters" to have their own separate stories.

Also some of the chapters fell into the "...and then they got attacked!" Trope too often.

Some minor complaints of a book I utterly destroyed over a couple of nights! A bit like The Expanse I'm not sure if I will keep reading the series. I might return to it later.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 6, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Started Blind Lake and it seems intriguing so far but if you're a male sci-fi novelist, don't open your story with your protag waking up after a one night-stand with a hot redhead ten years his junior

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

According to Tor.com's twitter feed, these guys are selling the black-edged Harrow, for the poster who was looking to get one.

I really hope they're right, because I just paid $40 in shipping to get one sent to me.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I found a somewhat local store that had them, so one is on the way to me. Thanks, though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

I found a somewhat local store that had them, so one is on the way to me. Thanks, though!

I want one. My hardcover Harrow got here today but it's not black-edged so I need one. Unfortunately I can't see anything that says it's got the black edges.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 7, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Malaprops in Asheville was the store I ordered from. They'll ship anywhere in the US.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Ooh, what's that edition at the end on the right? (Also that's just generally an amazing collection, hot drat)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cptn_dr posted:

Ooh, what's that edition at the end on the right? (Also that's just generally an amazing collection, hot drat)

That's the Subterranean Press limited edition.

https://subterraneanpress.com/gideon-the-ninth

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh man that's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Okay, ordered my black edged copy. Thanks y'all!