Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The chapter is sad but then the extra made me laugh.

Also those bystanders were pretty smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

Power survived? Guess Makima kept her word!

Hey, future never said WHEN Denji would kill Power. Don't lose faith in the amazing and cool Future!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. Another week, another edition of... well. Chainsaw Man.

Nice to see Denji's appreciated. Even with the worst happening, he's got people rooting for him.

...Oh, and right. Chainsaw Man continues to be a manga that keeps its promises. Power is definitely in trouble.

please no

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Incredible chapter. Made me tear up a little

Chainsaw Man himself has such an incredible design. The close up shot after he realises what he has to do. Its a chainsaw with teeth and it's more expressive than anything I can recall seeing in ages!

I basically don't follow manga anymore but every week I'm waiting with baited breath for the next chapter. Just brilliant.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
drat that sucks for Denji

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll be interesting to see how he reacts considering his thoughts after Himeno died, but he barely knew her.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I think this’ll be a big turning point for Denji, especially if Power also dies. He might try to use his wish from Makima to quit devil hunting.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I really liked how this chapter played out. What it means for the overall story is fairly apocalyptic but it was delivered well

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Chainsaw "The People's Champion" Man

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Did Aki see Denji's crying face and stop fighting or was he already beaten at that point?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The future is rear end in a top hat.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

The future is rear end in a top hat.
Chainsaw Man: The Future is rear end in a top hat

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Hell, I was already sad straight from the color page. The Young Power shown wouldn't actually be Power she would be the girl that grew up to be the corpse actual Power is riding around in.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
friendship ended with future

now the past is my best friend :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

friendship ended with future

now the past is my best friend :smith:

The past wasn't that great either, to be fair.

And, on the upside, this chapter provided more support for Angel's line about that dead woman going to heaven. We see Aki after he dies, and he's happy. There's something on the other side of death other than more Hell.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Oxxidation posted:

the future devil had us all thinking he was interested in aki when he really just wanted a front-row seat to denji's misery

that zany trickster

It makes sense, when you think about it. You can't see suffering from the eyes of the one experiencing it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The future does not rock. What a depressing chapter. I love it.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I thought the Future came across as wistful there. It pretended to be hype but in the end was melancholic. How did having it’s power help Aki out again? It seems like it helped him because it cared. Or it cane to care in the end.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Link to the official release of Chapter 79

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Apocron posted:

I thought the Future came across as wistful there. It pretended to be hype but in the end was melancholic. How did having it’s power help Aki out again? It seems like it helped him because it cared. Or it cane to care in the end.

it helped him because it's a giggling sadist, which was clear before it ever made its first actual appearance. its previous contracts robbed people of either their remaining lifespans or all of their other senses, but it gave aki its aid no strings attached just because it (like most devils) hates the chainsaw and delights in his pain

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apocron posted:

He saw like 6 seconds into the future through his right eye, which let Aki punch above his weight in combat sword fighting.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Aki would have died to Reze or Quanxi if not for Future.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
legit teared up at Little Aki asking Little Denji why he's crying when i realized what was really happening

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
That power is pretty busted if you're capable right? A six second advantage in every fight with quick decision making skills which Aki had was pretty cool.

I have to wonder how strong that dude with the half Glasgow smile is that he's lived that long as a non hybrid devil hunter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JackDarko posted:

That power is pretty busted if you're capable right? A six second advantage in every fight with quick decision making skills which Aki had was pretty cool.

I have to wonder how strong that dude with the half Glasgow smile is that he's lived that long as a non hybrid devil hunter.

Strong as all hell, in his prime. I mean, he was partnered with Quanxi and still called himself the strongest Devil Hunter. And he managed to beat all four of her fiends in a fight without even using contracts. Back in the day, he might have even given Makima a good fight.

In wider news, Chainsaw Man has now sold 3,000,000 copies, which is pretty drat good for a manga without an anime

Fujimoto also described Chainsaw Man as a mix of an "Evil FLCL" and a "Pop Abara" (by Tsutomu Nihei, the BLAME! guy) in his comments, which helps explain a lot of influences. Guess comparing Makima (and, to a lesser extent, Power) to Haruko was even more on the money than previously assumed.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

chiasaur11 posted:

In wider news, Chainsaw Man has now sold 3,000,000 copies, which is pretty drat good for a manga without an anime

Fujimoto also described Chainsaw Man as a mix of an "Evil FLCL" and a "Pop Abara" (by Tsutomu Nihei, the BLAME! guy) in his comments, which helps explain a lot of influences. Guess comparing Makima (and, to a lesser extent, Power) to Haruko was even more on the money than previously assumed.

Evil FLCL, holy poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blues drive monster played in a minor key

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Shonen Leatherface

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Speedscans for chapter 80 are here
https://imgur.com/a/Bbzu4rZ

Garbage eating, puke swallowing Denji cannot keep his food down.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

crying emoji

A SUSPICIOUS amount of dogs in Makima's house.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This all feels incredibly sinister...

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I've heard of grooming but this is ridiculous

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

crying emoji

A SUSPICIOUS amount of dogs in Makima's house.

Maybe Makima just really likes dogs.

Unconditional love, no manipulation required. It fits right in with a bunch of the other little snatches we see of her just being... a person. Hobbies, friends, that whole thing.

There could be something sketchy, depending on how Denji's request pans out, but assuming Makima does her usual "Okay, let's talk through this, Denji." rather than something extra-weird, (and the look on her face isn't enthusiastic for Denji's request) then it seems safer for the moment to assume it's just a personal trait.

That said, it's nice of Fujimoto to confirm that Makima can snuggle a puppy and people's first reaction is to wonder what evil scheme that ties into.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 7, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Isn't it kind of amazing that Makima always seems to show up when Denji is at his most uncertain?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can see only good things coming from this. - Future Devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

I can see only good things coming from this. - Future Devil

"denji. denji you've gotta let me in your eye. forget the contract. denji i will give you three dollars if you let me in your eye. don't ask questions. three dollars, denji. denji."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lmao the moment we saw the dogs I went "oh well of course she would."

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The future is bark!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

What if it is no coincidence that Pochita looked like a dog? :tinfoil:

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 7, 2020