Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the icp western review was one of the funniest ones they ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope I'm not alone in thinking Bryan, Vinny and Craig watching Battlefield Earth is one of the best things they ever did.

I'm just relistening to old Retro shows and god I loved this so much. I think this and The Big Lebowski are the only movies they've recapped/reviewed?

I tried to ask for the granny show to change to reviewing a whole movie. I have no idea why they thought describing the jokes from a sitcom would make good radio.

Granny reviewing the big lebowski would be glorious.

JOHN CENA posted:

the icp western review was one of the funniest ones they ever did.

Big Money Rustlas
https://www.f4wonline.com/jan-30-bryan-vinny-show-packed-episode-full-reviews-smackdown-royal-rumble-raw-plus-big-money-186506

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I believe they also did Bloodsport once, a long time ago.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Wazzu posted:

Granny reviewing the big lebowski would be glorious.

I agree, but she wouldn't get past the first scene in the apartment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I believe they also did Bloodsport once, a long time ago.

https://www.f4wonline.com/march-25-2006-bryan-and-vinny-show-164841

Indeed they did. I dunno what dates the show more, Bryan's voice, the prolific use of words you won't hear them say in 2020 or the fact Bryan recommended you go out to a video store to rent it.

But seriously, glad they loved it. How can anybody not love Bloodsport? It's totally not even m type of movie and when I think logically about it, it is kinda terrible. But then I watch it and I'm like hell yeah! This is awesome!

Them using pro-wrestling lingo for the movie really works.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dave mentioned it and now I can't wait for someone to email the wrong Khan.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Lost it at Dave insisting that non wrestlers do moonsaults all the time

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jeff Cobb just revealed he's signed with someone, but won't reveal who.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MJeff posted:

Someone's got a new talent, wonder who....

I bet its NJPW

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MJeff posted:

WWE Underground is under new management.

MY BROTHER THE MONSTER

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

WWE Underground is under new management.

MY BROTHER THE MONSTER

MATANZA MCMAHON

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-teLEGog9s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Someone's got a new talent, wonder who....

I bet its NJPW

Congrats to IWGP US champ Jeffrey Cobbington.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

If only I could think of a promotion he seems to really want to work with and often talks about enjoying working with them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Save your "MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs Master Wato" posts in the drafts, you'll be needing them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Save your "MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs Master Wato" posts in the drafts, you'll be needing them

I'm picturing an 8 min sprint a la Shibata/Ishii.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris James 2 posted:

As long as it doesn't have 10 minutes of Cobb inexplicably selling for a guy half his size

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Benne posted:

As long as it doesn't have 10 minutes of Cobb inexplicably selling for a guy half his size

Wato is a grandmaster. Size doesn't matter when you're martial skills are as high as Watos

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cobb gonna no sell Wato sault 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cobb gonna no sell Wato sault 2020

Catch him, sit up, Tour Of The Islands.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SuplexWrestling/status/1192907304863227910

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Real cool post by Dave about "the racial thing" from a post in which he is defending AEW's women's division

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ridiculous

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dave used to have a few lovely takes a year now it's a few lovely takes a month.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

collocation posted:

Real cool post by Dave about "the racial thing" from a post in which he is defending AEW's women's division

That doesn't read like he's defending the women's division, it reads like he's negatively comparing what any of those individual women would bring to a tv program vs Scorpio Sky or Fenix given Dynamite's zero sum TV time, and noting there would be bad faith complaints by some no matter who was on and who wasn't.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Arbite posted:

That doesn't read like he's defending the women's division, it reads like he's negatively comparing what any of those individual women would bring to a tv program vs Scorpio Sky or Fenix given Dynamite's zero sum TV time, and noting there would be bad faith complaints by some no matter who was on and who wasn't.

He's defending the reasons behind the current status quo in the division.

He seems to always assume that most people who mention social issues are just trying to cause problems whereas, when the comments by Lars came out, he made a repeated point of referring to it as just trolling.

I'm sure that he sees many dumb AEW takes, but at a certain point, he's just a guy who is more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to negative actors than he is to potentially positive ones.

He still carps about people not doing enough about Orton slurring with an a on a video game stream whenever anything racist comes out about anyone else, as if one can only care about one instance of racism at once, and everyone who cares about any other instances before Orton is dealt with must be full of it.

Scorpio was largely a non-sequitur that he brought up to batter people who care about female representation as being hypocritical people who will complain about racial representation, as if one can't balance the two or genuinely mean both.

I used to think that he was an old liberal who got stuck in the 80's without adjusting, but I am losing my goodwill towards him, and starting to think that what he is willing to openly say is just the tip of the iceberg.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

I refuse to believe we would see bad faith complaints about something in a week where people are losing their minds about a fan club.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I don't really get that riled about AEW's problems with the women's division, but enough people have expressed enough issues about it that a fair amount of those criticisms would seem to be honestly made, since I've seen many people who are clearly fans make them for the last 9 months.

I don't think that some fantasy scenario that Dave booked in his head where booking more women automatically bumps Scorpio, as opposed to any number of other people who could be bumped, so then the very same people then complain about the oddly phrased "racial thing", when in fact they are clearly full of poo poo about the women's division and the so-called "racial thing", is particularly helpful.

Some people will always be full of poo poo, but using those people to ignore the concerns of people who are on the level is a good way to get on a path towards being as insular and unconcerned with what outside parties think as the WWE is.

---

I am curious as to how the Brandi thing works, though. She was leading a social media campaign and has deleted one of her main social media accounts. That's awkward, however valid her reasons were.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I love that he has not selected an avatar for the forums he owns and has 14000 posts in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

technically they're bryan's forums. observer was integrated later but dave has always had an account

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there was also a poster named dewe that didn't have an avatar and people would get excited thinking it was a davepost. i think they changed dewe's name color to stop the confusion

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"People complaining about the AEW women's division are lying about what they want because they can just subscribe to Stardom World" is somehow only like the fourth-dumbest thing in that post

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1291788722824818689
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1291789657500291078?s=21

please make him stop

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's right in a spherical cow inside a vacuum but that's not how the world works and he knows that. No way you cover this industry this long and not realize how arbitrary and bullshit success is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I would not accuse Meltzer of being sexist/misogynist because of how much he loved 80s and 90's Joshi but as always, sometimes Meltzer needs a translator and an editor. I think what he MEANS is he values the under-pushed people of color in the men's division who are considered some of the best in the world over some mediocre women's wrestling.

AEW's women's roster is fighting an uphill battle though, with no access to Joshi and most Mexican talent, NXT getting the head-start and signing the bigger names before AEW really took off, and the US women's scene being pretty shallow and basically being on their own since they haven't had a big US Women's promotion or veterans to help them improve like SHIMMER used to be.

Though even if you take COVID out of the equation, AEW would have to promise the world to take most Joshi wrestlers away from their home promotions and re-locate to the US like Shida did. It was probably an easier choice for Shirai, Kairi, and Saree to take the WWE contracts because it used to be a guarantee that you'd be able to make a living there under a 5 year contract. It still probably is, considering how poorly KENTA was used and still managed to come back to Japan a returning hero.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 7, 2020

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah I'm sure the stars currently getting TV time like *checks notes* Jake Hager and 5 are at a higher level than any woman could hope to be

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Yeah I'm sure the stars currently getting TV time like *checks notes* Jake Hager and 5 are at a higher level than any woman could hope to be

Jake Hager sucks, but 5 is seriously impressive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You could tell what bad faith some of these complaints are when the same people (twitter people that is) who wait with baited breath for the announcement of the next Mae Young Classic on the WWE Network claimed to be offended because the Deadly Draw Tournament is on youtube.

In the WWE thread I mentioned that Nic Cage pulled out of The Wrestler after attending an ROH show, so to double check the details I listened to Cary Silkin's podcast Last Stop Penn Station which covers ROH's involvement in it. What I've listened to is really fun, Cary lived a crazy life, so if you want backstage details on ROH or lots of drug and rock n roll stories it's a good listen.

There is a very fun story where Cage is sitting in the lockerroom with Cary and points at Roderick Strong and asks Cary "What makes him a good wrestler?"

So Cary says he is a great athlete, etc, etc.

Cage points at Marufuji, same question. "He's a great high flyer, incredible training, etc."

Cage then points at the Necro Butcher and asks the same question. Cary's response isn't as funny as you'd think, basically that he's a hardcore brawler and look at him he's got a crazy look.

Cage then asks "What would make me a good wrestler?"

Cary isn't a Nic Cage fan, hasn't really seen his movies and says Nic would be like Buddy Rogers or Ric Flair, someone who would be good at cheating.

Nic accepts this.

He also reveals the producers brought a bunch of extras to the Dover tapings and it led to some fans with tickets having to be convinced to give up their front row seats, somehow I wasn't one of them since I did in fact keep my seat and sit front row for The Wrestler taping.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the idea that you have to put the best workers on tv above everything else is so weird and i don't know why that's his hangup. orange cassidy got hella over by, essentially, not wrestling. becky lynch was arguably the biggest star wwe regularly had on network tv and she was nowhere near the best worker in the company, man or woman. you have a bunch of people being given regular tv time who are not as good as fenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Both of those examples are really good workers and wouldn't of gotten over with those other things if they were not good workers.