Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I will leave games paused for a fuckload of time a lot of the time and HZD’s sad violin lady voices really grated me after a while.

Big hope that there is a PC mod just to turn off the menu music, because I liked all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I started watching The Boys" on amazon and I like it even though i'm not a super hero guy at all, but god drat the villains in this show are just absolutely devoid of any good qualities just really evil people. I'm 5 episodes in and I keep thinking they're going to humanize them in some way or show a different side than literal demon but it hasn't happened yet.

How is the Watchmen show? I loved the book a decade ago but I hear it's a different story or alternative universe or something?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Once you get the hang of hunting in HZD you feel like a god

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

I started watching The Boys" on amazon and I like it even though i'm not a super hero guy at all, but god drat the villains in this show are just absolutely devoid of any good qualities just really evil people. I'm 5 episodes in and I keep thinking they're going to humanize them in some way or show a different side than literal demon but it hasn't happened yet.

How is the Watchmen show? I loved the book a decade ago but I hear it's a different story or alternative universe or something?

its a direct sequel to the graphic novel but set 40 years later where timelines diverged even worse than they were in Watchmen's vision of the 1980s. It has its own story but its told pretty hamfistedly and the last few episodes are a slog to get through. The Boys does attempt to try to humanize a couple of its characters but they still overall suck.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

This is potentially a light spoiler for something that would come in like three more seasons if The Boys ever gets that far with respect to the comic, but much later in the comic series the villains are depicted as smoking ground-up metahuman fetuses to get high, so you should probably give up on waiting for humanization, that's not what Garth Ennis does.

Also, gently caress Garth Ennis.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Good info all around thanks, also CarlCX love you're avatar, Control whipped so much rear end.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man... Ennis is so messed up

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TV Zombie posted:

Man... Ennis is so messed up
Yeah the Boys really suffered as a comic for not really know when you're just being completely stupid and edgy.

But it also had some great stories in the mix so I did finish it. It's pretty miserable stuff though so I doubt I'd finish it nowadays though.

Stupid trash edgy comics and morons screeching "absolute power corrupts absolutely!!!" are two things I don't really need more of, of late.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

But what if Superman was...hosed up

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ennis gets a free pass to write his sick, twisted Superman pastiche in The Boys after he proved how much he gets him in Hitman

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Today i learned Jeremy Lin got a ring. That is a good thing and happy to learn.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kvantum posted:

It's so bizarre. The Death Stranding port, made on the exact same engine, runs great on PC, but Horizon runs like crap. :sigh:

Well Death Stranding doesn't loving have anything in it, all they have to render is empty mountains 99% of the time.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NienNunb posted:

Ennis gets a free pass to write his sick, twisted Superman pastiche in The Boys after he proved how much he gets him in Hitman

This is great but The Boys is so loving grotesque that I gotta disagree on the free pass

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I finished The Boys graphic novel years ago and as far as I remember, it's waaaaay more grotesque and horrible than the show, which I feel is much better paced, probably because it feels like other people are involved in the decision making process. The comic felt like escalation of how depraved it could get after a while.

The TV show is better for me in all accounts except for the character of Stillwell. Comic spoilers with comparison to TV counterpart, but no specific plot point spoilers: In the comics, Stillwell is basically the face of the corporation, playing the role of manager to The Seven, but there are a few key differences. For one, James Stillwell is portrayed as a lot more composed than Madelyn is. He's completely apathetic to everything but his job in being the face of the corporation, a soulless husk that's there to keep the money rolling in no matter what. He keeps The Seven in line because it's more profitable. He negotiates with enemies because it's cheaper for the corporation. If there's a problem, he'll handle it; it helps the bottom line. Imagine if Batman spent all his resources into becoming the ultimate middle manager.

Madelyn Stillwell on the show was portrayed as someone who wanted to operate on that level, but didn't. Yes she is scheming and managing and she has a more direct connection with Homelander, but she really takes a backseat compared to the other characters. She doesn't exude that inhuman, so-called "pragmatic" villainy that her comic character did. It's a fine, deliberate decision, but I do miss the James character. I watched the first few eps thinking, "Yo, Madelyn is pretty cool, a new take on the character" but later on felt that she doesn't really stand out.

In terms of general plot, the basic beats are similar but we have already diverged far from the comic path, for the better honestly.

The biggest change that I like is Homelander. Homelander is excellent in the show, a testament to Antony Starr's great, consistent performance of someone putting up the thinnest of veneers at all times. He's also way more of an intellectual than his comic counterpart, and it's great that he's got his own motivations and plans running at all times.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Artelier posted:

I finished The Boys graphic novel years ago and as far as I remember, it's waaaaay more grotesque and horrible than the show, which I feel is much better paced, probably because it feels like other people are involved in the decision making process. The comic felt like escalation of how depraved it could get after a while.

The TV show is better for me in all accounts except for the character of Stillwell. Comic spoilers with comparison to TV counterpart, but no specific plot point spoilers: In the comics, Stillwell is basically the face of the corporation, playing the role of manager to The Seven, but there are a few key differences. For one, James Stillwell is portrayed as a lot more composed than Madelyn is. He's completely apathetic to everything but his job in being the face of the corporation, a soulless husk that's there to keep the money rolling in no matter what. He keeps The Seven in line because it's more profitable. He negotiates with enemies because it's cheaper for the corporation. If there's a problem, he'll handle it; it helps the bottom line. Imagine if Batman spent all his resources into becoming the ultimate middle manager.

Madelyn Stillwell on the show was portrayed as someone who wanted to operate on that level, but didn't. Yes she is scheming and managing and she has a more direct connection with Homelander, but she really takes a backseat compared to the other characters. She doesn't exude that inhuman, so-called "pragmatic" villainy that her comic character did. It's a fine, deliberate decision, but I do miss the James character. I watched the first few eps thinking, "Yo, Madelyn is pretty cool, a new take on the character" but later on felt that she doesn't really stand out.

In terms of general plot, the basic beats are similar but we have already diverged far from the comic path, for the better honestly.

The biggest change that I like is Homelander. Homelander is excellent in the show, a testament to Antony Starr's great, consistent performance of someone putting up the thinnest of veneers at all times. He's also way more of an intellectual than his comic counterpart, and it's great that he's got his own motivations and plans running at all times.

I just finished season 1 and I really liked Homelander because he's just a great heel in that you want so badly for him to be destroyed. I might read the comics too, I haven't read a comic since Y: The Last Man though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

please don't read The Boys comics they're insanely bad

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

nothing is worse than Crossed

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Preacher is good, so is Punisher Max

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I really liked hellblazer as a kid

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Critical posted:

nothing is worse than Crossed

I feel like pre-2000 Ennis and post-2001 Ennis feel like extremely different authors. Preacher and Hitman and his time on Hellblazer all have some level of his edgelordiness but they counter it with genuine heart and acknowledgment of said edgelordiness.

And then he started writing Punisher and the descent into openly eschewing any sort of earnestness let alone editing began and led eventually to loving Crossed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Boys as a way of transposing the evils of people so rich/powerful they will never face consequences (or at least think they won't, as with Weinstein et al) into the scale and metaphysics of the superhero idiom that has overtaken so much of modern pop culture (funny enough, it premiered a year before the opening of Iron Man 1) as a way of making Rich People Bad more marketable as a core theme for a comic series is good, The Boys as a way for Ennis to go wild on all his crassest gags sucks, and from what I've heard the show went more with the former than the latter.

CarlCX posted:

I feel like pre-2000 Ennis and post-2001 Ennis feel like extremely different authors. Preacher and Hitman and his time on Hellblazer all have some level of his edgelordiness but they counter it with genuine heart and acknowledgment of said edgelordiness.

And then he started writing Punisher and the descent into openly eschewing any sort of earnestness let alone editing began and led eventually to loving Crossed.

I would say it's more that the two authors that were always within Ennis slowly diverged, and the Serious Ennis that does straightforward stuff like War Stories and his later Max works with Punisher and Fury stopped sharing page space with the Funny Ennis that does stuff ranging from the farcical comedy of Welcome Back Frank to the extremely gross shock riffs of The Boys and the extreme low point of gallows humor that is Crossed.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 8, 2020

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Finished Ghost. One of my favorite games of all time easily. It'll be years before I play it again but I keep thinking about it.

Some comics that I saw get a lot of praise but I found reprehensible are Wanted and kick rear end. Some real edgy poo poo I can't get down with.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Eat My Fuc posted:

I just finished season 1 and I really liked Homelander because he's just a great heel in that you want so badly for him to be destroyed. I might read the comics too, I haven't read a comic since Y: The Last Man though.

I would recommend you and anyone else to read comics because there are plenty that are great but also don't read The Boys, it is Not Good. I finished it out of momentum of reading it all in one go more than anything else and I never really want to revisit it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I like comics a lot; you should read them.

I just bought some One Punch Man because I heard the second season of the anime was not so good and also it’s a sub, which I’m impatient about.

If you’ve been out of comics for a while and would like a good starting point, here are some:

The Immortal Hulk
Colder
Gideon Falls
East of West
Mech Cadet Yu
Batman (DC rebirth)
Omega Men
Superman (DC rebirth)
Mister Miracle

Idk that’s what I think about comics and which ones are good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I picked up a bunch of junji ito on Kindle. Good poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i read a list of "best comic runs" of i think the last 15 or twenty years, mostly as i wanted to see where they ranked Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil and Ed Brubaker's Captain America (i think they were second and third/fourth - Morrison was #1 on Batman) but the shocking thing to me was like there was no comics of the last like ten years except one - Brian K Vaughan's Saga.

I'm assuming comics must've gone into a serious decline since the mid 2000s :/

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There's so many good comics out there really!

Immortal Hulk is a standout for everyone I feel. What if Hulk literally can't die and always regenerates, but definitely also takes massive damage?

Vision from...2016 or so was excellent. Since Vision is a one of a kind android, how does he experience family life? Simple; build a wife, build two kids, and have a perfectly normal family.

There's Ice Cream Man, which operates a little bit like how Sandman was where the main character tends to be a side character that changes the lives of the main character of each story arc...except instead of being the manifestation of Dreaming this character is just a totally innocent, definitely not horrific, no existential angst Ice Cream Man.

Through A Life is a beautiful, meditative look on the life of an astronaut, where each page is a year in their life. Not really a "read," more of a story told through pictures.

These are just my recent reads, seriously there are a lot of good graphic novels.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like Criminal a lot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
two of my favoruite underrated reads from that period were Ed Brubaker's Sleeper and Will Pfeifer's Captain Atom: Armageddon

and now that enough time has passed: why the gently caress did people like Fables so much? it was fine but like all the loving Eisner's and Bill Willingham best writer? what the gently caress was going on... the only actually great story arc in that entire series was Boy Blue when he went to the land of the fables. Thats it.

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 8, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

How do ya'll feel about Y the last man? I read it about a decade ago so times were different and it's probably problematic now but I enjoyed it back then. I loved the brevity of it and how it was a succinct story in 10 brief books or so. looking back on it now i feel like the main character was kind of a nice guy dweeb like evangelion, something you can only relate to at like 13 but maybe i'm remembering it harshly.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lid posted:

and now that enough time has passed: why the gently caress did people like Fables so much? it was fine but like all the loving Eisner's and Bill Willingham best writer? what the gently caress was going on... the only actually great story arc in that entire series was Boy Blue when he went to the land of the fables. Thats it.
It was simple and pretty good. Not worth all the awards but everything through The Great Fables War was fun enough. I fell off hard after The Adversary was defeated and cannot believe it ran another 75 issues on fumes.

Eat My Fuc posted:

How do ya'll feel about Y the last man? I read it about a decade ago so times were different and it's probably problematic now but I enjoyed it back then. I loved the brevity of it and how it was a succinct story in 10 brief books or so. looking back on it now i feel like the main character was kind of a nice guy dweeb like evangelion, something you can only relate to at like 13 but maybe i'm remembering it harshly.
I'm sure some of the gender stuff feels dated but I don't have obvious "Ooh that aged horribly" thoughts like Ex Machina which is a perfectly fine time capsule but not essential. I have very little hope of FX's Y adaptation being any good after drat near 10 years in hell but I am loving hyped to see Legendary spend $200M on "The Great Machine" and completely eat poo poo.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i watched Breaker Morant, and Ant-Man. it made me think of an idea for a new movie, called Breaker MorAnt-Man. it would be about Ant-Man being put on trial after committing war crimes in South Africa during the Boer War. like, he killed Boers with his ant powers, even though he was following orders, and the movie would explore that. why didn't the Australians take Boer prisoners, when they could have easily shrunk them down and imprisoned them in some sort of small crate?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lid posted:

two of my favoruite underrated reads from that period were Ed Brubaker's Sleeper and Will Pfeifer's Captain Atom: Armageddon

I really liked the setting in Fables! Modern day fairy tales is fun, and due to its ensemble nature I think most people would find a few characters to really root for.

I stayed on with it until around issue 100 or so, whenever it is they fought Mr. Dark. While that character was a fun contrast to their other big enemy, it really lost a lot of steam by then.

I do like the Great Fable War though, and how it's revealed. Spend the whole issue tracking down someone who knows when the Fables will launch their attack, and at the end, she lets slip; whoops, the war's already underway while you were tracking me for info. Then the next issue we get to see how they're doing their attack.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eating the vendace nanbanzuke I made. It’s recommended to be in the fridge overnight

And gently caress goddamn this is one of those dishes where you go ”drat I made this? Jesus”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Artelier posted:

I would recommend you and anyone else to read comics because there are plenty that are great but also don't read The Boys, it is Not Good. I finished it out of momentum of reading it all in one go more than anything else and I never really want to revisit it.

My great shame is that I overwhelmingly enjoyed reading The Boys & only read it last year. It appealed to the teenage edgelord hidden deep inside me I guess. There were some bits that were very bad and the unrelenting violence got bleak and then just got meaningless at a point but...I'm a bad person with bad taste.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

My great shame is that I overwhelmingly enjoyed reading The Boys & only read it last year. It appealed to the teenage edgelord hidden deep inside me I guess. There were some bits that were very bad and the unrelenting violence got bleak and then just got meaningless at a point but...I'm a bad person with bad taste.
Eh it has some really good bits. The whole major twist near the end that basically made a mockery of all the "Oh I'm so smart" elements of the characters was fantastic, very comic book and satisfying. I also like the fact he explicitly spelled out the twist early on but through the scene being so juvenile and audience reaction being so juvenile none of us got it.

To be clear a lot of the violence is just pointless and terrible; ghastly filler for when the writing can't think of anything better to do. Like many creative types it's unfortunate no editor goes "no that's loving dumb and you're just wasting time"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

Finished Ghost. One of my favorite games of all time easily. It'll be years before I play it again but I keep thinking about it.

Some comics that I saw get a lot of praise but I found reprehensible are Wanted and kick rear end. Some real edgy poo poo I can't get down with.

I only watched the movie Kick-rear end. It taught me the wrong lessons. "Don't bother being a hero, only crazy people are heroes" is the best way I can think to paraphrase it right now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Paul Dini is good and has done nothing wrong.*

*I have not watched Lost and you cannot make me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mark Millar is the most blatant example of the indie comics tendency to write comics with the express intent of getting them optioned and Millar's specific way of doing that is getting a talented artist and having a decent premise and doing the bare minimum necessary to create a story that can serve as the structure of a feature film. I do have more respect for that than Robert Kirkman's version, which doesn't aim so much for "feature film" so much as "USA Network Original pilot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I Before E posted:

Mark Millar is the most blatant example of the indie comics tendency to write comics with the express intent of getting them optioned and Millar's specific way of doing that is getting a talented artist and having a decent premise and doing the bare minimum necessary to create a story that can serve as the structure of a feature film. I do have more respect for that than Robert Kirkman's version, which doesn't aim so much for "feature film" so much as "USA Network Original pilot".

Can't believe no one has made The Unfunnies into a film yet. (Actually I can, it has no redeeming features)