Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Munki posted:

I am sure the previous owners stated that, "to the best of their knowledge."

And I am also sure the inspector's contract stated "we don't promise we'll find everything."

This was what all the disclosures that I signed to sell my house said. If I knew the age of anything I put it down but most of my answers were "to the best of my knowledge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Footed Booby posted:

When it's repaired, but the stains from the leak are left alone.

This. I spent a lot of time painting closets to get rid of 20 year old leak stains.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm feeling that we'll be on the hook for the cost of replacing the roof, which kind of sucks. I'm just a bit grumpy about the whole thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freaquency posted:

Is that a thing that can happen?

Sure: "it stopped raining"

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Here's some content from my neighbourhood, at some point there was a large tree here and the telecom company anchored their lines to it. Then at some point the tree was cut down. Instead of re-running the lines and anchoring them to the utility pole a few feet away they just ran a rope between a big chunk of wood and the pole. So this person has this chunk of wood "floating" 20' above their yard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Is that just tape holding the glass up?

So, what's to stop it from falling backwards towards the lecturer?

EDIT: and also, every other thing wrong with that.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is that just tape holding the glass up?

So, what's to stop it from falling backwards towards the lecturer?

EDIT: and also, every other thing wrong with that.

There are brackets at the bottom. The tape is to keep it from falling forward.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Here's some content from my neighbourhood, at some point there was a large tree here and the telecom company anchored their lines to it. Then at some point the tree was cut down. Instead of re-running the lines and anchoring them to the utility pole a few feet away they just ran a rope between a big chunk of wood and the pole. So this person has this chunk of wood "floating" 20' above their yard.

You got my hope up, I thought that was a wasp-nest somehow :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that has to be a joke, right?

That glass is like an inch thick and probably weighs a couple hundred pounds and appears to be held up by easy tear blue painters tape

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I used to see a slightly different version a bunch... a branch or something growing around a wire. they'd trim off the growth, but couldn't cut the stuff close to the wire.

I don't think I've seen it in ages, and I get the sense utility companies spend a lot more on proactive trimming, these days. (overly, even... a couple guys accidentally slew my mother's blueberry plant a few years ago, since it was in a firebreak.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Bloop posted:

that has to be a joke, right?

That glass is like an inch thick and probably weighs a couple hundred pounds and appears to be held up by easy tear blue painters tape

I don't want to ruin things, but I read the thread and the tape is just holding it in place while the glue dries. and it's all acrylic

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Freaquency posted:

Is that a thing that can happen? I would be hard-pressed to think of a situation where a roof leak would just resolve itself, but I’m not a roofer or inspector so I dunno.

You can have an ice dam situation where water from your gutters freezes and creeps up underneath the edge of your shingles (or whatever roofing material) during a particularly bad Winter storm followed by a prolonged cold snap, and then rarely or almost never have it happen again. Most modern buildings or roofs installed in temperate climates within the last couple of decades will have protection that looks similar to Tyvek run a few feet up the sub-roof under the singles

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I would hope that an inspector would see evidence of the repair or that the previous owner would have record of a repair occurring, though.

D-LINK posted:

You can have an ice dam situation where water from your gutters freezes and creeps up underneath the edge of your shingles (or whatever roofing material) during a particularly bad Winter storm followed by a prolonged cold snap, and then rarely or almost never have it happen again. Most modern buildings or roofs installed in temperate climates within the last couple of decades will have protection that looks similar to Tyvek run a few feet up the sub-roof under the singles

Gotcha, so it’s not necessarily a failure of the roof, just extraordinary conditions that don’t occur very often.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Freaquency posted:

I would hope that an inspector would see evidence of the repair or that the previous owner would have record of a repair occurring, though.

Gotcha, so it’s not necessarily a failure of the roof, just extraordinary conditions that don’t occur very often.

So: what's wrong with the roof that it can't be repaired? Too old?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

PainterofCrap posted:

So: what's wrong with the roof that it can't be repaired? Too old?

Rotted sub-roof

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

B-Nasty posted:

They're pretty bad. Anyone that's replaced enough backstabbed outlets has seen at least one of those connections go bad and melt some insulation or the plastic on the outlet itself.

Why isn’t this outlawed yet?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm kinda curious why they keep selling outlets with stab ports, and if they are so terrible then why are these a thing

Also see a lot of similar connection mechanisms in industrial terminal blocks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I don’t like wago connectors either. As we were undoing some of the PO’s DIYed electrical in our house I showed my fiancé how bad they were by just yanking the conductors right out of the back.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

street doc posted:

MRC48B posted:

I'm kinda curious why they keep selling outlets with stab ports, and if they are so terrible then why are these a thing

I'm pretty sure they are illegal. Or at the very least, Stab-Lok or similar stuff will result in the insurance company refusing you coverage until it's replaced with a modern code-compliant version. Which is almost the same, functionally, as being illegal.

As to why Stab-Lok is terrible, I believe it's something about how they tend to fail-deadly rather than fail-safe, resulting in them being notorious for causing electrical fires because of a blown fuse.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tinytort posted:

I'm pretty sure they are illegal. Or at the very least, Stab-Lok or similar stuff will result in the insurance company refusing you coverage until it's replaced with a modern code-compliant version. Which is almost the same, functionally, as being illegal.

As to why Stab-Lok is terrible, I believe it's something about how they tend to fail-deadly rather than fail-safe, resulting in them being notorious for causing electrical fires because of a blown fuse.

Stab-lok breakers and outlet backstabs are two different things.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I still have holes in the ceiling of my laundry room and in my bedroom wall from then a tree fell on my house in January 2019 (which I believe I posted in this thread). The roof has been replaced and the outer wall has been repaired, but the interior damage is still there. The landlord would fix it if we asked him too, but it would honestly be more of a hassle than it's worth.

That's not even top 10 things I hate about this house, though. One day I will move (I have been saying this for 8+ years now).

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

street doc posted:

The NEC is pretty good about making rules when someone is killed or there're fires, so I assume backstabs are safe enough. I'd never use them myself (I trust pigtailed wires and wires wrapped around the screws instead of the stab connection of a $.30 outlet).

More than half of problems caused by a burnt wire or connections that I've dealt with were because of backstab connections, but it might just be because it was the weak link.

If all things are perfect, then they are (probably?) safe. If there's a problem (improper overcurrent protection or space heaters in my experience) the stab outlet connection is usually the weak link and thus what a res electrician will find when looking for the open connection.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 8, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

D-LINK posted:

Rotted sub-roof

I just inspected a house yesterday, that my son & his SO want to buy. The rear shed roof over the rear addition had brand-new Timberline shingles. It also had a sweet deep dish where Godzilla took a load off, plus a couple bonus wavy areas that absolutely meant that the sheathing, as well as a few of the joists, were rotted.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 8, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Booley posted:

There are brackets at the bottom. The tape is to keep it from falling forward.

I see them now.

Thought they were just random desk crap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

street doc posted:

They should be, but remember NEMA members make up a disproportionate number of the board that writes the NEC. Backstabs are necessary for electrical contractors wiring tract homes.

Also, they've been limited to 2 stabs, and I think a max of 14awg for awhile now.

I was an electrician for 5 years, the first 4 of those as a teenager working summers and weekends, I've troubleshot and replaced almost a hundred older backstab receptacles, they are simply not able to handle large loads like space heaters cycling on and off.

If wired correctly (in an approved box etc) they are very unlikely to start a fire, as the tiny spring element simply fails, and doesn't produce enough heat to start the (flame resistant) plastic outlet body on fire.

MRC48B posted:

I've seen Wago style connectors open before circuit breakers under load, they're poo poo, and not a suitable replacement for proper wiring methods, convenient though, and honestly their ease of use probably means they burn up about as often as some idiot who can't line up wires wire nuts do.

tinytort posted:

Stab-lok's eponymous buss connection method is fine, and not the issue, it's the fact that they defrauded Underwriter's Laboratories, they purposefully built breakers with an adequate trip mechanism, that were different than the ones they actually sold to the public. The trip mechanisms are wholly unsafe, and will not trip until loaded far above their rated amperage, there are many anecdotal accounts of electricians causing dead faults, and the breaker simply refusing to open until the wires or tools causing the fault were reduced to plasma. An excellent combo with back-stabbed receptacles!

Fun fact: Stab-lok Canada still exists, but is owned by Scneider Electric, who uses the most excellent Square-D trip mechanism in the breakers, these are perfectly safe.

I never dealt with many Stab-loks in my area (just Zinscos, that DO fail at the buss connection!) So that's all hearsay, except the "defrauding UL part" which is documented fact.

E: a weird website with PDF scans of the SEC filings, after FPE got bought out, and the new owners went "what the gently caress?" https://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_Fraud_SEC_Report.php

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 8, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Stab-lok's eponymous buss connection method is fine, and not the issue

I know it’s not the major issue, but I have heard that thermal cycling eventually loosens the connection. It’s not a great design.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

corgski posted:

I don’t like wago connectors either. As we were undoing some of the PO’s DIYed electrical in our house I showed my fiancé how bad they were by just yanking the conductors right out of the back.

Same.

I think of them like Sharkbite connectors for plumbing: sure, they're tested and rated, and likely fine in many cases, but they aren't, and can never be better than a proper multi-turn twist & nut. Wagos, like SBs, are also much more expensive.

Unless you're dealing with wires too short for a proper twist, I just don't see the point in Wagos outside of professional work where time is of the essence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

Same.

I think of them like Sharkbite connectors for plumbing: sure, they're tested and rated, and likely fine in many cases, but they aren't, and can never be better than a proper multi-turn twist & nut. Wagos, like SBs, are also much more expensive.

Unless you're dealing with wires too short for a proper twist, I just don't see the point in Wagos outside of professional work where time is of the essence.

Absolutely. I've got an assortment of them, and they are amazing in the right spot - mostly the way to short ground wire down in the back of the box that you need to pigtail.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We had a major breakdown at work (automotive stamping press) a couple of weeks back and had to basically link out the entire safety system (with proper discipline and controls) to get the tooling out, we used 5 complete assorted boxes of wago 221's to link cables across the maze of electrical cabinets, they saved us hours.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Easily solved with a funicular.

My neighbors driveway is close to that. The nice thing is that we don't have sidewalks so the driveway is blended.

It is impossible for a two wheel drive to pull up if it's snowing though. Also, he has to snowblow his driveway at least twice a day and has to constantly salt. His driveway is black and clear by 5 AM every day. Then he comes home from work, parks on the street and blows it out again. Add more salt. Anything less than constant care and it's unusable. Mine is steep, but his is absurd. I at least have a good transition from the road. He doesn't. His house is on the same grade as mine, the problem is the road has a rise and a knoll so he got screwed with that.

He has a back yard though and I don't. I kind of like that though. It's like living in the woods for me. For him, his grandkids can play in the back. For me, I can be lazy about shoveling the driveway.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I feel like it's crappy construction to have every single inch of floor space in a house covered in carpet but I wasn't alive in the 70s so maybe I just don't understand.

every

single

inch

of

floor

space

the 3D tour in the Zillow ad is a journey

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

I feel like it's crappy construction to have every single inch of floor space in a house covered in carpet but I wasn't alive in the 70s so maybe I just don't understand.

every

single

inch

of

floor

space

The bathroom paneling in the last shot looks like something that was in the cheap rear end mobile home I grew up in. Also, drop ceiling? Is that in the basement or something? It's wildly different from the rest of the house which aside from the dumbshit carpeting isn't that awful.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's like a cult got a lovely ski lodge

Carpet EVERYWHERE

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Youth Decay posted:

every

single

inch

of

floor

space

Carpeting up the side of the tub is impressive commitment to having only carpet and wood on any possible visible surface.

Need to carpet the ceiling tiles, and wood-veneer the appliances for a 10/10.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Not just the omnipresent carpet, but also the wood paneling, is downright oppressive. I like wood paneling, but you don't use it everywhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not just the omnipresent carpet, but also the wood paneling, is downright oppressive. I like wood paneling, but you don't use it everywhere.

They didn't in that lovely Ikea laundry room. Which, holy poo poo that's a lot of cabinets for a laundry room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That would make getting a midnight snack more exciting.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

You can't fool me, that shower unit is just a bathtub on its side!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Which early 90's FPS inspired that design? I'm thinking very early VGA graphics that makes your eyes bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the empty picture frame made from molding