Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hating on sports is so drat weird to me. It's like hating on movies or books - it's entertainment, why the hell do you care so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

B-because the jocks were mean to me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cocaine Bear posted:

There was a scary head/neck injury to Jake Muzzin and he was sprawled out on the ice for a good 10 mins while they got the stretcher ready and gave him the cognitive tests or whatever. Complete and utter silence. It was loving eerie and creepy and bad. (looked like he broke his neck but it looks like it was just a pinched nerve or something, he seems fine atm).

Shits weird.

I mean, it's always eerily quiet in the arena when someone's on the ice like that. It's not until they give a thumbs up or get back on their feet that the crowd feels it's okay to make noise again.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i like sports
sports fans i'm more conflicted on

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sports fans are the awful because they empower sports journalists, who are among the least interesting people on earth (with the exception of Jon Bois). The tribal attachments people develop towards 'their' team are also ridiculous.

Now playing sports, that's where it's at.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been pretty impressed how much just adding dumb cut-outs to the stands behind home plate has helped baseball games. Giving that little bit of visual clutter just makes it feel way less like watching a college game or something.

The computer generated virtual fans have been ..... somewhat less impressive

https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/1288992544467169282

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jonsicoli posted:

I mean at some point the competition level drains the fun out of it. Sports are good because they're games and games are fun. Games cease to be fun when in order to play you have to do emormous amounts of not fun work, or worse when the attitude of the adults around kids' sports changes from encouraging to abusive. The process weeds out the non assholes and rewards the rear end in a top hat and creates a whole rear end in a top hat culture. It's not uncoincidentally like capitalism in the cut throat winner takes all mindset.

Sports on tv are still entertaining, especially if you played the same sport at a lower level.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's also, all things considered, a really cheap pastime to follow a team.

God knows I spend way more on my dumb hobbies than my wife does, even with her paying for out of market game packages for the team she follows.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's a good idea to know stuff about sports if you haven't given up on success or social advancement like I have

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Proust Malone posted:

I mean at some point the competition level drains the fun out of it. Sports are good because they're games and games are fun. Games cease to be fun when in order to play you have to do emormous amounts of not fun work, or worse when the attitude of the adults around kids' sports changes from encouraging to abusive. The process weeds out the non assholes and rewards the rear end in a top hat and creates a whole rear end in a top hat culture. It's not uncoincidentally like capitalism in the cut throat winner takes all mindset.

Sports on tv are still entertaining, especially if you played the same sport at a lower level.

I had a very Calvin and Hobbes experience with youth sports. I had to play baseball, but nobody told me how to play baseball, or even that the single sentence of instructions I was given, "Go stand in that field," were involved in the actual business of playing baseball. I got yelled at for reading my book; how was I supposed to know that standing in the field was a key position with responsibilities?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's also, all things considered, a really cheap pastime to follow a team.

God knows I spend way more on my dumb hobbies than my wife does, even with her paying for out of market game packages for the team she follows.

Yeah this. My wife calls it my soap opera which isn't totally inaccurate in the case of baseball. Same cast, same setting. You know generally whats going to happen but not how its going to unfold.

John Lee posted:

I had a very Calvin and Hobbes experience with youth sports. I had to play baseball, but nobody told me how to play baseball, or even that the single sentence of instructions I was given, "Go stand in that field," were involved in the actual business of playing baseball. I got yelled at for reading my book; how was I supposed to know that standing in the field was a key position with responsibilities?

Yeah this sucks. I coached little league for years and the one thing that I could point to as a way to succeed was for the parents to be involved. I could teach a kid to throw and catch, but I couldnt do the reps with them. It's a great way to spend time with your kids though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Having a spouse or partner who likes the same sports that you do is really super awesome

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sports bore me to tears but I don't hate them anymore than I hate stamp collecting or bird watching or any other hobby.

Except for model trains. Anyone who is into model trains is lower than pondscum and should be keelhauled and that includes Rod Stewart.

Rod if you're reading this I hope you choke on a tiny lovingly crafted signpost.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

And you can dress up your pets!

And! You don't actually have to watch them, you can just look at spread sheets all day and tell the olds why they're wrong about everything with charts! Plus live hockey is about the best sports thing you can do. Well, when they're are fans, at least :smith:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

jonsicoli posted:

This but unironically. High school sticks with us forever, even with therapy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is also how the sports "stars" in Jr High and High school get special treatment.
Plus, they tend to be wealthy.

I think most people have a story of " Parent buys child a new mustang. They wreck it. Parents buy another for them" type thing.

Also, a TON of time and money goes into sports, when just about everything else gets it's budget slashed.
But hey, hows that Trump presidency working for ya? You reap what you sow.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sports are homophobic

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

Sports are homophobic

And also gay

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Proust Malone posted:

. Games cease to be fun when in order to play you have to do emormous amounts of not fun work, or worse when the attitude of the adults around kids' sports changes from encouraging to abusive.

There's a documentary by Chris Bell about these sort of abusive parents living out their own sports fantasies vicariously through their kids. It pops into my head every now and then but I csn never figure out where to watch it. Really want to though, his first big movie Bigger, Stronger, Faster was a riot.

I used to be one of those 'sportsball lol' guys. Never raised on sports, in fact I had similar 'Calvin & Hobbes' experiences to others ITT. It was only in highschool that I took a passing interest in Motorsports, and the in college I started really enjoying hockey because my roommates' enthusiasm was infectious. Now I'm torn because I still do enjoy both of those things but in terms of prohibitively expensive activities kids are often born into, they're up there near the top of that list. And the politics, or should I say the silence, of the hockey scene is just appalling. The uproar at the Leafs wearing BLM shirts recently was massive. But on the other hand, man shoot puck and throw down gloves to fight.

xtal posted:

Sports are homophobic

Like... Inherently?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

May I suggest esports for the less athletically inclined but more intellectually inclined?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I’m neither

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jeeez, we were just getting past the sports detail.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

May I suggest esports for the less athletically inclined but more intellectually inclined?

I play videogames on my couch so I can remain physically inclined.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lobok posted:

I play videogames on my couch so I can remain physically reclined.

Ftfy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cocaine Bear posted:

Jeeez, we were just getting past the sports detail.

He's just trying to toss the ol' pigskin around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Lee posted:

I had the same experience, and I think it's not uncommon. People don't even try to give you an getting-on point or explain the rules to you at all, they just tell you the most vague and obligatory instruction and spend the entire game ignoring you or getting mad at you for things you don't know and they can't be arsed to tell you. Apparently you're supposed to pick them up from osmosis. I didn't learn the rules of any sport we played in school until I looked them up on the internet years later.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Proust Malone posted:

you're not wrong about the potentially abusive aspect but this is an extremely dumb take, like what the gently caress?

pushing yourself beyond your own preconceived limits is literally what everyone does when they go to the gym. competition doesn't change or distort that.

not going to touch the kids sports aspects cause that's on a different level, but implying that people are problematically socialized because games and poo poo are competitive and make the exercise not fun is just asinine.

edit: god drat just forgot who I was replying to.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm not really into sports, but I certainly don't hate them. I know enough about most major U.S. sports that I can enjoy watching them with family and friends who are enthusiastic about it.

Except golf. gently caress golf. A goddamn waste of urban green space.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah golf can eat an entire bag of dicks. Not even nice ones, like Harvey Weinstein-esque dicks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mario golf is fun tho

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A casserole reduced to it's platonic ideal

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Not even real ghee.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Stealing fast food industry R&D is corporate espionage and you're going to jail

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Golf is fun, sports are fun and competition is the best part of them.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

SPORTS!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I don't like baseball bc I was forced to play it. The only position I enjoyed was catching bc it constantly gave my adhd brain something to do. Batting was fun, too.

The problem was, I was actually much better at baseball than the sport I actually enjoyed, basketball. Or so I was told.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i was only ever good at decathlon